4.50 star(s) 114 Votes

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
A bunch have mentioned it, but that Mother brain enemy is harder than the final Boss. For both bosses I only had to use one attack, shielding and some strategic Maneuvering, but its easier to slip up on the mother brain. For the final boss used sheilding to get close then used the spin attack at her feet. Mother brain required using a bit of sheilding plus the jumping screw attack in the right way.
thing about mother brain, if you ease up on the screw attack, in other words, tap the z button at a good pace, you can stay on mother brain longer and do more damage in the end. Possibly wipe it out quicker if you have enough crit/strength. The lasers are a pain on hard mod since once you run out of stamina, there isn't anything you can do except take the attack and wait. Plus your stamina drops when you get hit. So you have to take it out before that happens.

tag111

Jun 30, 2017
thing about mother brain, if you ease up on the screw attack, in other words, tap the z button at a good pace, you can stay on mother brain longer and do more damage in the end. Possibly wipe it out quicker if you have enough crit/strength. The lasers are a pain on hard mod since once you run out of stamina, there isn't anything you can do except take the attack and wait. Plus your stamina drops when you get hit. So you have to take it out before that happens.
I downloaded the hardmode mod, but only played a little bit. excluding the mother brain I'm pretty sure I got every boss down pact on normal. To be fair though if I use potions the mother brain is fairly straightforward as well. on the last laser spamming portion I'd just try to jump and keep screwattacking its center: beat it without taking any damage once, but it'd probably still take me a bunch of retries.

Not sure how difficult hard mode would be. Might have to spamm potions on some of the bosses.

PervyMage32

Jul 29, 2017
I'm not sure what all this rambling about a Hardmode mod is, I thought the game was frustratingly hard during the second half. The last 2 bosses and the almost instant kill enemies are kind of dumb. You shouldn't need to abuse the spin attack to win. I know you "can" win the normal way, but it would require inhuman perfect inputs and timing, which is just should not be expected, especially not in a Super Metroid clone.

Personally, I think Grimhelm should have restored the original area design and difficulty in the earlier versions (I think version 12B or earlier? That's the earliest version I have on my hard drive, anyway). In v1.01, the first half of the game feels significantly easier, although that may be just because I've ran through it so many times while mapping out the game that the game doesn't have the "unknown fear factor" that a new game/area originally presents.

Good to see people are still enjoying the game though. Hope my map is still helping. I always enjoy coming back to this thread. Something about this game always tugs at my attentions. And my pants.

They aren't in the game. They were concept drawings only. Not every idea makes it into the end product.
Made me really disappointed when I found this out before. It looks like a really hot scene.

TheNextOne

Apr 21, 2020
it would require inhuman perfect inputs and timing, which is just should not be expected, especially not in a Super Metroid clone
Well, most enemies have an ability that hard counters them. first it is the bomb. then the poison bomb, then the shield and lastly the screw attack. (not to mention you have the spinning attack, which i always forget about)
But yeah, would be pretty hard to play through the game with just the basic attack. Don't think it was intended.

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
I'm not sure what all this rambling about a Hardmode mod is, I thought the game was frustratingly hard during the second half. The last 2 bosses and the almost instant kill enemies are kind of dumb. You shouldn't need to abuse the spin attack to win. I know you "can" win the normal way, but it would require inhuman perfect inputs and timing, which is just should not be expected, especially not in a Super Metroid clone.

Personally, I think Grimhelm should have restored the original area design and difficulty in the earlier versions (I think version 12B or earlier? That's the earliest version I have on my hard drive, anyway). In v1.01, the first half of the game feels significantly easier, although that may be just because I've ran through it so many times while mapping out the game that the game doesn't have the "unknown fear factor" that a new game/area originally presents.

Good to see people are still enjoying the game though. Hope my map is still helping. I always enjoy coming back to this thread. Something about this game always tugs at my attentions. And my pants.

Made me really disappointed when I found this out before. It looks like a really hot scene.
The hard mode mod is more of a challenge mod as it doesnt require the player to be better at the game in fact it encourages the player to play more cautious and use kite tacticals and be more mp depended as the stamina system doesnt upgrade so your base attack is limited to 2 full combos and Ellen becomes a bit sluggish during the middle of the second combo. Since every action takes stamina except move left and right without sprint power as well as taking damage the player will at times have stamina wait periods if they need to jump up an opening after combat. Since normal jump takes more stam than high jump. Enemies take more damage and dont flinch as much which now makes the Queen boss more like a turn base boss that cant hit the player from a shield loop. Also it has less potions and save stations dont fully recharge with sex scenes doing damage and being harder to get out of plus Ellen when knocked down is longer so its kind of like a ko by ufc standards.

boned

Dec 3, 2018
I've put together a 'hardmode' mod for AQE primarily for myself but it seems like it is fairly balanced so I'm sharing it here.
NOTE: Only works with AQE version 1.01
Download mod v1.9: Mega
Read the readme.txt for installation info.

Changelog:
v1.9
Fixed stamina regen issue with attack cooldown introduced in 1.8 update(s) causing substantially less stamina regen than intented
Changed piston struggle timing to be more rewarding for accuracy
Changed monster ejaculation damage from combined 40% HP to a range from 40% - 80% combined determined from current escape struggle progress
Moved Attack stamina cooldown to only apply when damage is dealt
Updated to v1.9. No features, just major regression bugfix for stamina regen introduced with v1.8 updates and other misc balancing. Still haven't figured out anything to make early game not so easy.

Unrelated to hardmode but just AQ:E in general; you can abuse tentacle platforms to completely dodge big attacks like last boss' lasers. You're invulnerable to damage while being fucked. I don't know if boss fights were designed around the mechanic but it is there.

Last edited:

tag111

Jun 30, 2017

The game was hard for me on a first run through as well. During the first encounter with the mother brain I spammed potions during the gravity orb part: It actually wasn't too hard to beat when I did that. Almost played through but decided to try to beat the mother brain without using any potions. The Final Boss seemed the most difficult at first but that was only because I literally didn't have any real tactic to beat her. Took a while but managed to win without abusing any particular moves or potions.

The second playthrough, probably because of how strict I was about using potions was technically much easier. The mother brain was still hard but I could time its moves more easily. The Alien Mommy dearest was still potentially very dangerous, but I noticed how to avoid her attacks due to self induced pavlov timing(due to not using any real tactics the first run through). Taking advantage of the spinn attack occasionally made beating her ridiculously easy(my level was maxed out though) but messing up could still cause a fairly quick beat down.

One little thing I prefer not to have in games is getting damaged due to ordinary contact, but what are you gonna do. For some of the enemies that had attacks that could string you along until dead I used game mechanics to deal with... like moving away getting them out of screen so they wouldn't spamm certain moves... in particular that electric laser attack.

For the hardmode mod the whole getting hit just from contact is especially annoying but again alas. What was said about hardmode requiring more caution than skill is on point.

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
Updated to v1.9. No features, just major regression bugfix for stamina regen introduced with v1.8 updates and other misc balancing. Still haven't figured out anything to make early game not so easy.

Unrelated to hardmode but just AQ:E in general; you can abuse tentacle platforms to completely dodge big attacks like last boss' lasers. You're invulnerable to damage while being fucked. I don't know if boss fights were designed around the mechanic but it is there.
I didn't mess with 1.9 yet much but it was smart to have cooldown on hit only. That solves a lot of issues. You mentioned the creampie's could do 40%-80% but I haven't seen it. I tested a few times and it was either no damage + poison or 40%... I think?

Edson2d

Aug 28, 2018
Thank you for the help. Deleted the registry entry and it's working. Didn't know that it unlocks everything when clearing the game, but I figure that knowing how might also be useful for starting fresh again in the future or something.

Appreciated. :)
That happened to me as well, can you help me and tell me how did you do it? c:

sampsamp

Nov 5, 2018
Not sure if this possible, but i have this idea that maybe add random enemies around the ship? For example, at the start, you will encounter xenomorphs, etc. But at the same, it will be too hard for a level 1 tho maybe add some randomizer event once the main character reach a certain level? Just an idea that pop up to me.

boned

Dec 3, 2018
Not sure if this possible, but i have this idea that maybe add random enemies around the ship? For example, at the start, you will encounter xenomorphs, etc. But at the same, it will be too hard for a level 1 tho maybe add some randomizer event once the main character reach a certain level? Just an idea that pop up to me.
I had thought about that as well but I don't think it is very simple to add. Xenos are extremely hard to deal with until you get a minimum of the frost blade or air screw attack. Void blade and black hole spell help a lot too.

tag111

Jun 30, 2017

Not sure if intentional but the motherbrains gravity orb attack has been nerfed. When the ability is gained and you use it on enemies it works fine, but during the actual boss battle it only hits once in a while....It makes the mother brain alot easier even with the hard mode stuff.

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
Not sure if intentional but the motherbrains gravity orb attack has been nerfed. When the ability is gained and you use it on enemies it works fine, but during the actual boss battle it only hits once in a while....It makes the mother brain alot easier even with the hard mode stuff.
Its actually an on going problem in the hard mod since some versions ago.

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
I've been distracted with real world stuff and other games. I haven't messed with unity yet. My main goal right now with this game is to get my fps back to 60 on the latest version. I'm tired of playing this game at 0.75 speed. I sometimes go back to the older version to remember the sensation (you can see my past posts about my issue).

Mitsuna

Jun 21, 2019
It's censored anyway? I cannot save for some reason, how long is it? Also I cannot use my xbox360 gamepad… Well that censored part sure killed it for me, disgusting.

Yes, fps seems unstable -- I get 80+ fps and 60 fps vsync doesn't seem to work even when I try to enforce it. Honestly I think it's poorly coded as I don't recall ever having such a problem with any other game before.

Last edited:

156_163_146_167

Engaged Member
Jun 5, 2017
It's censored anyway? I cannot save for some reason, how long is it? Also I cannot use my xbox360 gamepad… Well that censored part sure killed it for me, disgusting.

Yes, fps seems unstable -- I get 80+ fps and 60 fps vsync doesn't seem to work even when I try to enforce it. Honestly I think it's poorly coded as I don't recall ever having such a problem with any other game before.
You can disable the censorship if it's enabled for whatever reason. It's a setting in the options menu.

FPS is good on my end. Solid locked 60 in game, and unlocked in the gallery.

4.50 star(s) 114 Votes