4.50 star(s) 114 Votes

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, but most of the projects you see on this forum and Patreon are done by one guy. To be fair, he also probably used a pre-existing game engine, and he had experience on his side, as it wasn't quite the first time he made a game of this type. If you look at older posts, you'll also see that he had a ton of other assets he didn't bother to include in the game (not sure why, it's not like he has a publisher urging him to release the game on a specific date), so he had plenty done by himself.

My point, is that if he even had 5 minutes of time, even while eating his morning toast or whatever, he could have posted a few sentences once a month. For comparison, one of my friends works fulltime 60+ hours a week, yet he still manages to text me once a week. It's just something you can't really ignore this day and age, when you open yourself to the public like that.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm not shitting on Grimhelm, I love his game, and I've put in my fair share of hours with my map to help the community enjoy it too. However, the lack of information he relates to his fans is the clear reason as to why he isn't more widely known amongst our humble perverted community, as with creators like Creambee or WASHA. I've been wanting to do a Patreon of my own, but I don't think I could keep up with the social demand and monthly updates like most of those people do, so Kudos to them on that.

I'm just saying, that Grimhelm could have earned thousands of dollars, instead of hundreds of dollars, simply by maintaining his social status. And increase his confidence as a creator by extension too, because if you follow him enough, you'll notice that he's worried about the quality of his work, which is probably another reason why he worked on the game so infrequently.

There has always been a lack of communications between game companies and the player base. One thing I like about patreon and a small group of staff, or even just one developer is that they communicate often like on discord or patreon. They even take notes, and apply patches or updates we suggest.

Its true that Grimhelm hardly updates us. His last post was on May 26th on his patreon. Not a word ever since about his upcoming game. Even in the past he just surprise us with a new version and then there is the "im not dead" post on his blog xD

Perhaps there is a reason. Maybe he's actually being bothered by people and just decided to work on his game at his own pace and just want us to know he's still working on it by posting ever x months. I dunno.....

boned

Dec 3, 2018
There has always been a lack of communications between game companies and the player base. One thing I like about patreon and a small group of staff, or even just one developer is that they communicate often like on discord or patreon. They even take notes, and apply patches or updates we suggest.

Its true that Grimhelm hardly updates us. His last post was on May 26th on his patreon. Not a word ever since about his upcoming game. Even in the past he just surprise us with a new version and then there is the "im not dead" post on his blog xD

Perhaps there is a reason. Maybe he's actually being bothered by people and just decided to work on his game at his own pace and just want us to know he's still working on it by posting ever x months. I dunno.....
It is still a really really bad approach to take when dealing with investors because patreon is just a new investor model. A traditional smart investor would not just hand over a large amount of money for a project without requiring regular updates for milestones. Patreon patrons are probably the dumbest investors I've seen. For better or for worse. They are generally the real problem with the stigma that comes with all patreon projects "which tend to never materialize into something good". Traditionally speaking, a game studio needs to produce a proof of concept game and show it to classic investors to get the first round of funding assuming the proof of concept is compelling. Be wary of any patreon that just publishes a game trailer since it doesn't take much time to make one. Unless you know who is on the team and they have demonstrated all skills necessary to build the game they say they are building, then it is probably time to walk away. Luckily grim has delivered multiple times but I'm just not comfortable burning money with his patreon platform. It is high risk and you don't have any idea how many years you are going to be forking over money before he delivers.

Reactions: Josh46865

PervyMage32

Jul 29, 2017
I feel like it's a mixture of a lack of confidence, fear of backlash (he had a note on one of his posts about noting wanting people to fight in the comment section), and anti-social behavior.

Unless you know who is on the team and they have demonstrated all skills necessary to build the game they say they are building, then it is probably time to walk away.
Even then, just look at the disaster that was Mighty No.9, and there are a few projects I don't remember that I backed that just didn't fully come to fruition the way I wanted to. Although, there are the awesome ones too. I forget the developer (I'm super tired and it's really late, so I'm too lazy to google them), but I backed Hyperlight Drifter and those guys were great.

I actually didn't get around to claiming my copy of the game, because they changed ship and weren't going to release it on PS Vita. But like last year or so, they released the game on Switch, which I currently own, so I messaged them on Kickstarter about my situation and they were super cool about it. Not only did I get my Switch version, but they refunded the price difference between the versions, and emailed saying they were sorry for being a few days late on the transaction (they weren't really, there was no ETA on when this would happen, and I had just assumed I would get it in a month, but they did it in less than a week). That game is a bunch of fun, by the way, and has CO-OP.

Luckily grim has delivered multiple times but I'm just not comfortable burning money with his patreon platform. It is high risk and you don't have any idea how many years you are going to be forking over money before he delivers.
Well, as started before, Grimhelm had 2 Patreon pay models: per month and pay per game. If you invested per month, it went towards the release cost of the game he worked on, so really the per month model was just a way to financially support them, as you would any other "artist" with little expectations. But yeah, I get that. I used to back Elana: Champion of Lust (also a good game), until I got tired of months going by before one small segment of it would be released.

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
It is still a really really bad approach to take when dealing with investors because patreon is just a new investor model. A traditional smart investor would not just hand over a large amount of money for a project without requiring regular updates for milestones. Patreon patrons are probably the dumbest investors I've seen. For better or for worse. They are generally the real problem with the stigma that comes with all patreon projects "which tend to never materialize into something good". Traditionally speaking, a game studio needs to produce a proof of concept game and show it to classic investors to get the first round of funding assuming the proof of concept is compelling. Be wary of any patreon that just publishes a game trailer since it doesn't take much time to make one. Unless you know who is on the team and they have demonstrated all skills necessary to build the game they say they are building, then it is probably time to walk away. Luckily grim has delivered multiple times but I'm just not comfortable burning money with his patreon platform. It is high risk and you don't have any idea how many years you are going to be forking over money before he delivers.
Classic investors usually were the shareholders or bosses of the developers for game studios and movie studios so if they didn't keep the investor happy with progress then they would cancel the project, gave less or the investor would change the leader of the project to someone that can get it finish, this is also the problem with things like crowdfunding as they are investor models were the investors doesn't have much power over the project. Patreon is more of a payment service than an investment model as most devs profits are tied to the prices and not the development, in most cases and the withdraw of funding if massive enough will only signal to the dev to start a different project(product) because the last one wasn't profitable enough. Basically Patreon isn't a means of investing into the development, its more of an early access model where the funds can go into the game but mostly they are just profits and the buyers are in control of mostly anything.

Reactions: Not_A_Horse

boned

Dec 3, 2018
Classic investors usually were the shareholders or bosses of the developers for game studios and movie studios so if they didn't keep the investor happy with progress then they would cancel the project, gave less or the investor would change the leader of the project to someone that can get it finish, this is also the problem with things like crowdfunding as they are investor models were the investors doesn't have much power over the project. Patreon is more of a payment service than an investment model as most devs profits are tied to the prices and not the development, in most cases and the withdraw of funding if massive enough will only signal to the dev to start a different project(product) because the last one wasn't profitable enough. Basically Patreon isn't a means of investing into the development, its more of an early access model where the funds can go into the game but mostly they are just profits and the buyers are in control of mostly anything.
It is still an investor model for many projects because some projects are being made by people who need something to pay for their rent/food/internet and or even hiring contractors to work on other parts of the game. In that sense, patrons are investing money into an idea that normally wouldn't be able to come to fruition.

Reactions: Josh46865

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
sorry if this has been asked earlier, but i need the last ability of being able to spin attack while flying. Where is it?
Oh boy... I can't open the game to find out but I do remember by memory sorta, but not the map.

It should be on your way towards mother brain since you need the spin attack to even take her out. Its in a hidden area so you have to slide through the wall and the path will be revealed. I think..... its the area where the 2 monsters are doing the deed with the blue glowing light shining on them.

Eh, this may not help much? I can show u on map in like an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: flame_bandit

boned

Dec 3, 2018
I've put together a 'hardmode' mod for AQE primarily for myself but it seems like it is fairly balanced so I'm sharing it here.
NOTE: Only works with AQE version 1.01
Download mod v2.0: Mega
CRC32 : 8D0CD7EB
MD5 : 112CB0856A53739E234A9D6023C8EF83
SHA1 : E630E25BB66A6B9EF137B42EB9AC5443C8835409
Read the readme.txt for installation info.
Changelog:
v2.0
Many monsters now will pursue you to your last seen location if you outrun them
Metroid monster grapple is now easier to escape
Monsters can chain mount Ellen while she is downed again
Added volatile monster variant:
- Increased HP
- Explodes on death
- Reduced magic damage taken
- Immune to poison
- 10% chance to spawn

v1.9d
Whip monster AI is more responsive
Low level monsters have faster base speed
Doors lock when monsters are near distance from 14 -> 22
Fixed a save issue
Updated hmmod to v2.0.

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
Updated hmmod to v2.0.
Only played 2.0 a little past the first boss but I love the update. There is only one problem. If you get hit by the explosion from the monster variant, they don't assault you when you're on the ground.

It doesn't feel like 10% either unless I got lucky or unlucky. I see one quite often

UPDATE

Untitled.jpg

^Purple glow is missing for escape timing.

Last edited:

Ilverin

Dec 16, 2017
I think I'm late on asking this but did he specify anything about his future projects?
Not really, he asked about ideas for his next game, and posted a picture of some sketches which should be floating around the thread, but nothing more afaik.

Reactions: Excelent

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
I think I'm late on asking this but did he specify anything about his future projects?
He posted a sketch of 2 creatures and a colored drawing of a cute elf girl. He commented that its time to talk about the next game and to give feedback of AQE. That was on may 26th. We didn't here anything else after that.

I'm probably going to remove myself as a patreon till we get an update.

Reactions: Excelent

Excelent

Nov 18, 2017
He posted a sketch of 2 creatures and a colored drawing of a cute elf girl. He commented that its time to talk about the next game and to give feedback of AQE. That was on may 26th. We didn't here anything else after that.

I'm probably going to remove myself as a patreon till we get an update.
I remember that he has the habit of deactivating it himself to not waste people's time and money in the case of no activity. What a legend.

4.50 star(s) 114 Votes