4.50 star(s) 114 Votes

xellos49698

Nov 4, 2017
BONED
I've put together a 'hardmode' mod for AQE primarily for myself but it seems like it is fairly balanced so I'm sharing it here.
NOTE: Only works with AQE version 1.01
Download mod v1.9d: Mega
Read the readme.txt for installation info.

What it does:
Adds->
-Stamina (top new resource bar)
-Arousal (mid new resource bar)
-Heat (bottom new resource bar)
and new mechanics primarily around sex encounters and these new resources, often increasing game difficulty, exposure to sexual content and increasing total playtime.
Records creampie, thrust, mount counts for your current run.

Changelog:
v1.9d
Whip monster AI is more responsive
Low level monsters have faster base speed
Doors lock when monsters are near distance from 14 -> 22
Fixed a save issue

v1.9c
Monsters now will try to mount Ellen less frequently when she has low heat
Monsters will become aroused when Ellen has been knocked down

**Edit: Updated to v1.9d
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Balanced? Please, more like it breaks the game. You can't heal at save points, you can't get up when the enemies knock you down because the game immediately goes in to H attack, and the doors won't open depending on the room you enter. The enemies move so fast, that even if you lead with magic attack, you can't kill them before they grab you. Also, the Z button for Jumping is glitch too. I tried it out with cheat engine and half the time your jumps with z fails.

Last edited:

sampsamp

Nov 5, 2018
BONED
I've put together a 'hardmode' mod for AQE primarily for myself but it seems like it is fairly balanced so I'm sharing it here.
NOTE: Only works with AQE version 1.01
Download mod v1.9d: Mega
Read the readme.txt for installation info.

What it does:
Adds->
-Stamina (top new resource bar)
-Arousal (mid new resource bar)
-Heat (bottom new resource bar)
and new mechanics primarily around sex encounters and these new resources, often increasing game difficulty, exposure to sexual content and increasing total playtime.
Records creampie, thrust, mount counts for your current run.

Changelog:
v1.9d
Whip monster AI is more responsive
Low level monsters have faster base speed
Doors lock when monsters are near distance from 14 -> 22
Fixed a save issue

v1.9c
Monsters now will try to mount Ellen less frequently when she has low heat
Monsters will become aroused when Ellen has been knocked down

**Edit: Updated to v1.9d
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Balanced? Please, more like it breaks the game. You can't heal at save points, you can't get up when the enemies knock you down because the game immediately goes in to H attack, and the doors won't open depending on the room you enter. The enemies move so fast, that even if you lead with magic attack, you can't kill them before they grab you.
heal at save points are working for me. they heal you up to around 75% of your health as compared to vanilla. You can get up if your stamina is around 75% before the enemy do H scene on you, therefore you have to manage your stamina. The doors don't open if enemies are too close. For enemies that are too fast, jump around, kite the enemy one-by-one, use shield ability and attack at the same time. I beat the game with v1.9d yesterday, it's possible.

xellos49698

Nov 4, 2017
I would if jump actually worked normally, instead of half the time. Again, the ability to get up when H attacks are taking place doesn't work either. Once you are naked it's basically game over.

Ilverin

Dec 16, 2017
I would if jump actually worked normally, instead of half the time. Again, the ability to get up when H attacks are taking place doesn't work either. Once you are naked it's basically game over.
The jump button being "bugged" might be because you're low on stamina, which causes some of your actions to not happen.

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
Let me help you out here. If you want to beat hard mod, a few things you should know. First to answer your questions:

you can only heal 75% of your health at save points. Save points will recover your clothes if you have more than 75% of your health. So before stepping on a save point, use a potion. Note that the save point at your ship will 100% full heal you.

The lower your stamina, the longer it takes for you to get up. You can struggle out using timing sorta like a rhythm game. If you are tapping the left and right buttons, your gonna get fucked even more.

The doors won't open till you clear all enemies nearby.

Yes, enemies get faster especially when they are injured. I recommend using your spin attack. If you are out of mp, try jumping. If you are out of both stamina to jump and mp to use your spin attack, then you're screwed. Hard mod is all about managing your abilities, saving your mp and stam.

Z key is the jump, and you won't jump if your stamina is in the yellow.

The most important thing is the paths you take on your map. Avoid hard area's. You should avoid the center teleport and the left room under the boss at the beginning.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: xellos49698

xellos49698

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, they intentional put a limit on your ability to jump? That is insane.

I appreciate the detailed explanation [U]haremking1118[/U], but I don't think this version is for me. I could go through it with cheat engine, but where is the fun in that?

I'll stick with the original. I rather play a great game with little Hentai, vs Hard mod, with Hentai instant kills.

Last edited:

Istreakilaz

Jun 12, 2020
They intentionally put a limit on just the ability to jump, but also attack. didn't you play any souls like game? where the stamina meter dictates how what and how much of an action you can take before you have to wait for it to recharge.

it's hardcore for a reason. i guess some of us are masochist who want to keep trying and failing at hard af games until we do succeed, and gain satisfaction from beating it... not the meat i mean:p

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
They intentionally put a limit on just the ability to jump, but also attack. didn't you play any souls like game? where the stamina meter dictates how what and how much of an action you can take before you have to wait for it to recharge.

it's hardcore for a reason. i guess some of us are masochist who want to keep trying and failing at hard af games until we do succeed, and gain satisfaction from beating it... not the meat i mean:p
Soul games do this but allow you to upgrade the stamina bar allowing the player to do more plus they are not platformers where the core gameplay is around moving up and down. This allows the players to become braver which allows them to make mistakes. If you never feel powerful in a game your going to do cautious means of beating said game which means your taking little to no risk and basically making encounters easier by not challenging yourself to be better at the game.

Reactions: MasterBuller

boned

Dec 3, 2018
Soul games do this but allow you to upgrade the stamina bar allowing the player to do more plus they are not platformers where the core gameplay is around moving up and down. This allows the players to become braver which allows them to make mistakes. If you never feel powerful in a game your going to do cautious means of beating said game which means your taking little to no risk and basically making encounters easier by not challenging yourself to be better at the game.
There also is no place in souls games where you can 100% avoid threat like you can from jumping in a platformer. My choice for this is mana generation from basic attacks when not shielded. Spend more points on INT since it grants % of max MP as a reward. Killing becomes a lot faster if you take risks by basic attacking monsters successfully. As with all the choices in the "hardmode" mod, it is purposefully made to not be actually hard since there are casuals that go into a froth when they don't immediately understand how to overcome a challenge. The other angle is that the mod needs to work more or less with the the vanilla AI and layouts. Frankly speaking, vanilla was not built as a challenging or complex platformer. All I've done is attacked some angles (as quickly as possible) that were completely trivializing game for me. AQ:E is a platformer with huge amounts of vertical capabilities given to the player but nearly none of the obstacles or monsters were designed to challenge that. It is going to be a nightmare to introduce mechanics that change the player in a way that forces them to play in a "fair" manner for monsters as they are right now. Not to mention, many of the monsters are very boring too so forcing you to interact with them exposes how thin the actual combat is in AQ:E vanilla. Unfortunately, I'm just not very interested in sinking lots of time into changing the monsters to have the verticality needed to interact with the verticality of the level designs and the verticality of Ellen's movements since there is something else I'm working on. (I'm not abandoning the mod, it is just on ice because I think it is in an "okay" spot right now)

sampsamp

Nov 5, 2018
Ok so the game runs at 1080p max. I was wondering if it possible to change the resolution of the game to 2160p? Since i am playing on a 4k monitor.

boned

Dec 3, 2018
Ok so the game runs at 1080p max. I was wondering if it possible to change the resolution of the game to 2160p? Since i am playing on a 4k monitor.
If you're using hardmode mod, switch resolution to "Actual" and create a shortcut to the game with -popupwindow at the end of the Target. You should get actual borderless fullscreen in addition to running at your native resolution. Close and re-open the game if needed.

haremking1118

Jun 14, 2018
(I'm not abandoning the mod, it is just on ice because I think it is in an "okay" spot right now)
Agreed. Honestly in my opinion you could call this mod finished. Its much more challenging already.

See, imo when it comes to game difficulty, all settings weather hard, very hard or hell mode becomes easy once you tackle it a few times. If it doesn't, then I call that game broken. My favorite example is Ninja Gaiden Black on master ninja difficulty. When I first reached that difficulty, I probably died over 100 times just on the first stage. I never gave up though, and now I can run master ninja in my sleep. There are even perfect runs on youtube. Just goes to show what we are capable of :)

I've played a lot of hard games. Some are challenging, and some are just stupid. There was a discussion on a gaming forum where people listed fun hard games and stupid hard games. There were people who said ninja gaiden was stupid hard lol and I wanted to tell them it wasn't but no point. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you can never satisfy everyone. But you can satisfy the majority and I think this hard mod does this.... "in my opinion."

Of course, I'm still looking forward to more updates :) More content will keep me entertained.

sampsamp

Nov 5, 2018
If you're using hardmode mod, switch resolution to "Actual" and create a shortcut to the game with -popupwindow at the end of the Target. You should get actual borderless fullscreen in addition to running at your native resolution. Close and re-open the game if needed.
Oh my god. Thanks, the quality difference is huge between 1080p and 4k. :)

luxia

May 21, 2018
You can just ignore those really old posts; they were wrong back then, as people couldn't be bothered to actually read for themselves before they posted criticism. While Grimhelm did have a monthly pay plan, he stated up front that the game would be $10 when he finished, but that you could buy the game ahead of time, or any amount that you sponsored him with would be automatically put towards the finished product.

The only problem, is that despite having 3 different forms of development websites, Grimhelm didn't post updates in an acceptable manner. Although I never doubted his intentions, given his track record. Dude really needs some social marketing skills, though.
he's maybe 100% on doing the game and just dont have time for that?

Jacky1x5

May 8, 2019
There also is no place in souls games where you can 100% avoid threat like you can from jumping in a platformer. My choice for this is mana generation from basic attacks when not shielded. Spend more points on INT since it grants % of max MP as a reward. Killing becomes a lot faster if you take risks by basic attacking monsters successfully. As with all the choices in the "hardmode" mod, it is purposefully made to not be actually hard since there are casuals that go into a froth when they don't immediately understand how to overcome a challenge. The other angle is that the mod needs to work more or less with the the vanilla AI and layouts. Frankly speaking, vanilla was not built as a challenging or complex platformer. All I've done is attacked some angles (as quickly as possible) that were completely trivializing game for me. AQ:E is a platformer with huge amounts of vertical capabilities given to the player but nearly none of the obstacles or monsters were designed to challenge that. It is going to be a nightmare to introduce mechanics that change the player in a way that forces them to play in a "fair" manner for monsters as they are right now. Not to mention, many of the monsters are very boring too so forcing you to interact with them exposes how thin the actual combat is in AQ:E vanilla. Unfortunately, I'm just not very interested in sinking lots of time into changing the monsters to have the verticality needed to interact with the verticality of the level designs and the verticality of Ellen's movements since there is something else I'm working on. (I'm not abandoning the mod, it is just on ice because I think it is in an "okay" spot right now)
In souls games the player can dodge attacks by moving out of range or going to higher ground, or outside of the boundaries a monster can pursue and use the varies sniper nest to pick off some of the monsters that lack the abilities to reach the player this isnt true in all areas but this is also true in aqe.

PervyMage32

Jul 29, 2017
he's maybe 100% on doing the game and just dont have time for that?
It took him years to finish the game. It's more than likely that he only spent like 10 hours or so a week, poking at the game code and what not. As someone whose dumped hundreds of hours into similar stuff, I can relate to getting burned out fast and not wanting to keep working on the same thing full force for so long. At least, that's my assumption. If he was 100% working on the game with his free time, it would have been finished long ago.

I mostly meant, it wouldn't have hurt him to spend 10 minutes of his time, posting an update once a week. Doing that would have greatly improved his popularity and funds. Instead, he chose to go dark for literally half a year between each of his posts. It's nice that he had a new build each time he did, but I think everyone would agree that it would have been better for him to spoon feed us information, rather than to just "surprise" us after long gaps.

Then again, he's claimed before he's not great at that stuff, and I can kind of relate, since I don't bother with Twitter, and I only use Facebook less times a year, than I can count on one hand. But I also don't have fans and possible customers to keep informed. Even just a simple "Hey guys! I'm still around, but my job/disease/life/cat/masterbating has kept me busy", would have gone a long way to debunk the constant "this guy is fake" posts that I saw hundreds of times here.

luxia

May 21, 2018
It took him years to finish the game. It's more than likely that he only spent like 10 hours or so a week, poking at the game code and what not. As someone whose dumped hundreds of hours into similar stuff, I can relate to getting burned out fast and not wanting to keep working on the same thing full force for so long. At least, that's my assumption. If he was 100% working on the game with his free time, it would have been finished long ago.

I mostly meant, it wouldn't have hurt him to spend 10 minutes of his time, posting an update once a week. Doing that would have greatly improved his popularity and funds. Instead, he chose to go dark for literally half a year between each of his posts. It's nice that he had a new build each time he did, but I think everyone would agree that it would have been better for him to spoon feed us information, rather than to just "surprise" us after long gaps.

Then again, he's claimed before he's not great at that stuff, and I can kind of relate, since I don't bother with Twitter, and I only use Facebook less times a year, than I can count on one hand. But I also don't have fans and possible customers to keep informed. Even just a simple "Hey guys! I'm still around, but my job/disease/life/cat/masterbating has kept me busy", would have gone a long way to debunk the constant "this guy is fake" posts that I saw hundreds of times here.
If i remember correctly he was coding and doing all the stuff for the game alone.

traplover19

Formerly 'lowtierntrgod'
Nov 4, 2018
am i the only one seeing a bunch of naked women in the motherbrain instead of a brain
or maybe i just have played too many eroge's who knows

PervyMage32

Jul 29, 2017
If i remember correctly he was coding and doing all the stuff for the game alone.
Yeah, but most of the projects you see on this forum and Patreon are done by one guy. To be fair, he also probably used a pre-existing game engine, and he had experience on his side, as it wasn't quite the first time he made a game of this type. If you look at older posts, you'll also see that he had a ton of other assets he didn't bother to include in the game (not sure why, it's not like he has a publisher urging him to release the game on a specific date), so he had plenty done by himself.

My point, is that if he even had 5 minutes of time, even while eating his morning toast or whatever, he could have posted a few sentences once a month. For comparison, one of my friends works fulltime 60+ hours a week, yet he still manages to text me once a week. It's just something you can't really ignore this day and age, when you open yourself to the public like that.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm not shitting on Grimhelm, I love his game, and I've put in my fair share of hours with my map to help the community enjoy it too. However, the lack of information he relates to his fans is the clear reason as to why he isn't more widely known amongst our humble perverted community, as with creators like Creambee or WASHA. I've been wanting to do a Patreon of my own, but I don't think I could keep up with the social demand and monthly updates like most of those people do, so Kudos to them on that.

I'm just saying, that Grimhelm could have earned thousands of dollars, instead of hundreds of dollars, simply by maintaining his social status. And increase his confidence as a creator by extension too, because if you follow him enough, you'll notice that he's worried about the quality of his work, which is probably another reason why he worked on the game so infrequently.

Reactions: Josh46865 and luxia
4.50 star(s) 114 Votes