3.40 star(s) 193 Votes

Kwalijksaki

Oct 2, 2024
Is there a way to open the patch.rpyc and just add a few more lines to change some more text? I still get referred as "your friends son" etc. I have 0 programming experience but I feel like it should just be copying some already existing lines in the patch and changing the text?
Use 0x52_URM so you can change names.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Is there a way to open the patch.rpyc and just add a few more lines to change some more text? I still get referred as "your friends son" etc. I have 0 programming experience but I feel like it should just be copying some already existing lines in the patch and changing the text?
My patch still works, "friend's son" is a special case that it can handle properly. And mine isn't compiled, so you can look at the code and how it works. Even change it if you know anything about regex and what you're doing.

https://f95zone.to/threads/amnesia-v0-98a-extended-super-alex.44511/post-5270343

Either that or just decompile that patch.rpyc you already have and make your own changes. There's Unren in the tools section of the forum.

Last edited:

TomUK

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2021
Yeah, there are few incidents like that, I think it's meant to or should be 'your father's son', there's also a couple of times he gets referred to as a 'sister' instead of brother, not forgetting all the times people outside the family call Alex 'mom' or whatever your choice of name is for her.

GeorgeMarty

Jul 31, 2017
At first I saw only the error message you posted.

Since the archive only contains "game\scripts\Free Roams\Mall\Free Roam Mall 1.rpyc", I thought you used unren to decompile the rpyc-files.

Your error :
"File "game/scripts/Free Roams/Mall/Free Roam Mall 1.rpy", line 83: unexpected EOF while parsing"

I got a similar error when accidentally running the game from the folder where I unpacked and decompiled everything with unren which then forced renpy to compile all the rpy-files again :
Code:
File "game/scripts/Free Roams/Mall/Free Roam Mall 1.rpy", line 84: invalid syntax
            show screen GUI
                ^
So it seems that your tool stopped decompiling the file when it ran into that invalid syntax

Code:
    label FreeRoam_Mall_1.Photo:
        $ current_label = "FreeRoam_Mall_1.Photo"
        $ current_background = "images/Free Roams/Mall/bg Mall photo.webp"\
        show screen GUI
        call screen FreeRoam_Mall_1_Photo
        screen FreeRoam_Mall_1_Photo:
I think it is the unexpected character '\' at the end of line 83 :
$ current_background = "images/Free Roams/Mall/bg Mall photo.webp"\

I removed the character from my rpy-file and the compile-error vanished.

Try the attached file at the correct path "game/scripts/Free Roams/Mall/Free Roam Mall 1.rpy" :
I appreciate the time you've taken to help with this. Unfortunately, that path isn't accessible in the windows archive. The script directory at that location is just scripts.rpa.

f96zonetrooper

Engaged Member
Dec 21, 2018
I appreciate the time you've taken to help with this. Unfortunately, that path isn't accessible in the windows archive. The script directory at that location is just scripts.rpa.
Did you try to manually add the path by creating the folders and place the rpy-file there?
When I do this, Ren'py ignores the respective rpyc-file in scripts.rpa and instead compiles a new rpyc-file from the new rpy-file.

Xarvi

Jul 14, 2017
My patch still works, "friends son" is a special case that it can handle properly. And mine isn't compiled, so you can look at the code and how it works. Even change it if you know anything about regex and what you're doing.

https://f95zone.to/threads/amnesia-v0-98a-extended-super-alex.44511/post-5270343

Either that or just decompile that patch.rpyc you already have and make your own changes. There's Unren in the tools section of the forum.
I see, so the problem is that he used the (') in the text "friend's son" and thus the patch can't deal with the ( ' )?
My patch still works, "friends son" is a special case that it can handle properly. And mine isn't compiled, so you can look at the code and how it works. Even change it if you know anything about regex and what you're doing.

I think I fixed it if you want to update the line:

t = t.replace('friend\'s son', 'son')
t = t.replace('friend\'s family', 'family')
The \ makes it treat " ' " as text
added:

under "do not replace"
'And by the way, Alexandra...',

1728156532834.png

Last edited:

TomUK

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2021
So has there been a fix to the Kate quest problem when nothing shows up on the info 'pad' to tell you what to do, just get the 'Thursday Morning' instruction but when you look in the journal it's blank and you need to continue this for Kate's story to carry on with Elena's story.

sabo93

Mar 1, 2018
after installing the game when i i try to open the game nothing happens it doesnt work im on windows 11 first time it happen to me older version of the game like the v099 open and work fine.. i try all the win pc link download

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I see, so the problem is that he used the (') in the text "friend's son" and thus the patch can't deal with the ( ' )?
Yes, that's a common error, often a typo that even an experienced programmer might slip in from time to time. The apostrophe is just another form of quotes in most programming and scripting languages, so when you have it as a part of a string, you need to use an escape character before it, just like for the quotes and brackets and some other special characters.

Reactions: Xarvi

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
after installing the game when i i try to open the game nothing happens it doesnt work im on windows 11 first time it happen to me older version of the game like the v099 open and work fine.. i try all the win pc link download
check that av or defender isn't blocking it. you can try with older exe.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Did you try to manually add the path by creating the folders and place the rpy-file there?
That tends to be too much of a rocket science for a lot of people and it's an additional chore to teach them what, where and how to do (and they still tend to mess it up and say it doesn't work :HideThePain: ). So I usually try to avoid it by providing fixed files and patches as zip or 7z files where I can include a relative path to the file or files. Then I can just tell them to extract the zip into the main folder of the game and the file gets extracted and missing folder paths created automatically.
I'm usually using 7-zip command line to create them, so I can just open a cmd, powershell or bash terminal in the main folder of the game and use a command line like:

7z a "archive-file-name.zip" -tzip "game/relative-path-to-the-file/file.rpy"

Just a tip for the future in case you ever make the same "mistake" and try to help someone again with some Ren'Py game files :sneaky:

Good job, BTW (y)

Reactions: f96zonetrooper

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
How do i get the action to trigger? I can't get it to work
It only works in the beginning of the game, right after the MC returns home from the hospital. If you miss it then, it gets locked out and impossible to trigger.
Missing it has no negative consequences for the following events though.

3.40 star(s) 193 Votes