Another World [v1.1.0] [Maelstrom]

COMPRESSED:

Win/Linux:

-

Mac:

-

Greily

Mar 4, 2018
How has this guy blown Ami off for years and not been A. double suicided or B. married Saori to get her off his back and they were a double homicide?

"Nothing is as it seems" Doesn't make up for this guy having the personality of a gold fish while being such a chick magnet.

I know I should play more (and I will) but, first impressions are a big deal.

No matter how compelling the future story might be, it's not here yet...

Reactions: rspkers

Ruslan11

Feb 21, 2021
There is no Patreon... and there is no incest ? that's weird, isn't it? why is there no incest ???

Pure white background and light letters in the menu, It is almost impossible to make out what is written. Many years of using renpy have made it easier, but in general it's just terribly inconvenient,
you can't go to the menu with a right click, terrible! Why cut the basic functions of renpy ?
Why can't I change the MC name ?
Imposed best friend and other relationships with other characters, very boring. I reached the first choice options... How I got there... just skipped. Everything is boring, imposed... One big plus, I'm NOT a fan of koikatsu, but I really liked the visual here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paarl

Maelstrom507

Developer of 'Another World'
Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
This game looked really interesting to me until I saw the horror tag and the review saying the horror seemed a big part of it. Is that overstating it? Is it more horror than slice of life?
The horror that's involved is relatively minor - no gore, just mostly weird glitchy stuff :))

Reactions: TheDarkShepard

Maelstrom507

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
There is no Patreon... and there is no incest ? that's weird, isn't it? why is there no incest ???

Pure white background and light letters in the menu, It is almost impossible to make out what is written. Many years of using renpy have made it easier, but in general it's just terribly inconvenient,
you can't go to the menu with a right click, terrible! Why cut the basic functions of renpy ?
Why can't I change the MC name ?
Imposed best friend and other relationships with other characters, very boring. I reached the first choice options... How I got there... just skipped. Everything is boring, imposed... One big plus, I'm NOT a fan of koikatsu, but I really liked the visual here.
There's a Subscribestar, will be setting up a Patreon ASAP.

There's a dark mode in the 'Preferences' menu if you're having trouble :)

The right click for menu should have worked - I might have accidently removed it - will check that for you

Gonna be adding in choice for MC name after a lot of requests - will require a lot of rewriting though

The story is relatively linear, with sandbox elements - I know that isn't for everyone, but I feel it helps the narrative :))

Ruslan11

Feb 21, 2021
Well, for me the most important problem is "imposed best friends". Really weird shit. i'm over 30 years old and I'm not used to thinking "this is my friend" because the person said hello to me. A friend is a person with whom I have gone through many problems, difficulties, challenges. I cannot perceive as a friend someone I see for the first time.

But I can't help but mention that I really like your visual style.

Reactions: dserbio3 and Greily

Ruslan11

Feb 21, 2021
There's a Subscribestar, will be setting up a Patreon ASAP.

There's a dark mode in the 'Preferences' menu if you're having trouble :)

The right click for menu should have worked - I might have accidently removed it - will check that for you

Gonna be adding in choice for MC name after a lot of requests - will require a lot of rewriting though

The story is relatively linear, with sandbox elements - I know that isn't for everyone, but I feel it helps the narrative :))
Fucking shit, man, I swear to you... The black mod should be the default. Because you can't see a fucking thing in the light. Fuck, I almost dropped the game because of this.

Reactions: tobias_knight

Maelstrom507

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
Well, for me the most important problem is "imposed best friends". Really weird shit. i'm over 30 years old and I'm not used to thinking "this is my friend" because the person said hello to me. A friend is a person with whom I have gone through many problems, difficulties, challenges. I cannot perceive as a friend someone I see for the first time.

But I can't help but mention that I really like your visual style.
The idea of imposed best friends is a bit weird - I guess it's just a fundamental issue I encountered with the structure of my game as an isekai. I've tried my best to 'show, not tell' in a lot of the events regarding this - will continue to work on this though.

And thanks for the comment on the style! Went through a TON of revisions to get the exact style I wanted :))

Maelstrom507

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
Fucking shit, man, I swear to you... The black mod should be the default. Because you can't see a fucking thing in the light. Fuck, I almost dropped the game because of this.
I'll make this clearer - I'll put a big toggle on the mwin menu probably, make it more easily accessible to change.

I really do like the white aesthetic though

Reactions: Greily

Musicfruit

Oct 8, 2017
-Great visuals. To show us how Nia jumps over the wall is not only a great way to get more dynamic into everything and to flex your visual work further, it’s also a non-forced panty shot, very well done!
-I like the club selection; the screens look far nicer than just some bottoms with their name on it. As well as that each club has a few different scenes.
-That lil’ flash of horror with Ami during the after-blowjob conversation was a nice touch.
-The color coding of the event list in the menu is a great idea.
-That we get a costume choice for the invite over lewd events is awesome.
-Ami’s and Saori’s talk after their fight it’s so good to see them talk and be honest to each other. In so much media the people just aren’t really talking to each other. I think it was a great choice to not let it fester between them for cheap drama.
-Good amount of content already.

Don’t describe everything that happens, which we actually can see. During the first dialogue with Saori you describe how her face returns to her usual smile, which we can see. Or with Nia. “Nia ignores Ami’s questionable comment, and turns to me”, the later part is not needed, we can see it. Nothing serious in itself, but too much of it can be draining for the reader. And if someone is described as blushing, show, don’t tell.

So we got that childhood friend that straight up said her job is to watch out for us. A goth chick that instantly flirts with us. Nia just hugs us from behind and asks us a big favour. Kasu who the MC get to blush during the first conversation. Second conversation with Saori and we basically get the conformation that she is in love with us if the meeting with her didn’t already tell us so. At least, Yuna is not instantly into the MC. Second time seeing Sakura and she has her hands already all over the MC. First private meeting with Yuna and she already told us that her sister in fact is into the MC. (Yuna is a tuna girl. Get it? Yuna – Tuna? I see myself out.) That is far too much at once! It takes a lot of tension out of the story/game, when half the cast is already in love with the MC. Even Sakura tells us that Kirei is into the MC. Too much, too soon. Sakura as well. I already feel less and less about these things.

Most people don’t use the name of the person they are talking to during conversation if there is no need to clarify to whom they speak to. For example, in Saoris bedroom during the movie, the MC gives her a compliment and her response “Oh – thanks, Arvin”. No one would use his name in that situation because it’s clear that she speaks to him. That makes the dialogue feel artificial and you are doing that quite often. No need to go back to fix it but try to pay attention to it. I think that can help to improve dialogue quite a bit,

First visit at Saori:
Who took the picture of the two kissing?
A bit after the pictures there is a spelling mistake. “Sometimes I get so carried away thinking about the fast that […]” I’m pretty sure you mean fact instead.

Maybe Natuski should not wear ear rings and her usual make up in the pool. I’m not sure, but I don’t think that goes well together.

Visiting Rin at the library. She says books can’t hurt you. She clearly never had a book about higher level physics in hand.

I’m beeing honest. I do not care for the Iris plotline at all. I do not want the MC to be the freaking choosen one. Nothing against the writing. I’m just over this doom and gloom “you are the choosen one!” reveal.

Bugs:
-My gallery is already mostly unlocked, even trough I just got into the free roam part.
-The first art club event repeats itself for me, after the event Sakuras first kiss. Not sure if it did that before already.

Inconsistencies:
-Saori tells us in the beginning that she iis happy that the weather is like this again. Implying that it was worse. During our first free roam meeting with Nia, the MC mentions how static the weather is.
-First time seeing Saki on day one. She mentions beer and Saori says that we in she and MC are not old enough to drink. During the first visit to the bar, the MC tells us that he is indeed old enough to drink.
-First Monday, Natsuki says she doesn’t want to be a plank and more developed like Saori, but they do have like the same bust size and slightly larger hips? Certainly she is not a plank.
-First time in the manga club, Rin tells the MC how she and Takane have their heads in the clouds half the time and he acts like he isn’t somewhere else all the time too. Not really an inconcistency I guess, but I still wanted to mention it here.

And as others mentioned already, I can’t see why all the girls are into the MC yet and I really hope it’s more then is connection to the world of what that was.
Good luck with your game. Im looking forward to more!

Sep 26, 2018
I answered all math questions correctly without a calculator, i'm a real big boy now.

Game is nice so far, hope this can scratch that "existential dread mixed with romance and humor" mix. (after a certain other game in that genre straight up died because the creator got arrested)

Maelstrom507

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
-Great visuals. To show us how Nia jumps over the wall is not only a great way to get more dynamic into everything and to flex your visual work further, it’s also a non-forced panty shot, very well done!
-I like the club selection; the screens look far nicer than just some bottoms with their name on it. As well as that each club has a few different scenes.
-That lil’ flash of horror with Ami during the after-blowjob conversation was a nice touch.
-The color coding of the event list in the menu is a great idea.
-That we get a costume choice for the invite over lewd events is awesome.
-Ami’s and Saori’s talk after their fight it’s so good to see them talk and be honest to each other. In so much media the people just aren’t really talking to each other. I think it was a great choice to not let it fester between them for cheap drama.
-Good amount of content already.
Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words and suggestions! That really means a lot :))

I'm glad that so many people are happy with the visual style and GUI design (except the light theme ) - I've spent a lot of time perfecting both over the past few months of development :))

So we got that childhood friend that straight up said her job is to watch out for us. A goth chick that instantly flirts with us. Nia just hugs us from behind and asks us a big favour. Kasu who the MC get to blush during the first conversation. Second conversation with Saori and we basically get the conformation that she is in love with us if the meeting with her didn’t already tell us so. At least, Yuna is not instantly into the MC. Second time seeing Sakura and she has her hands already all over the MC. First private meeting with Yuna and she already told us that her sister in fact is into the MC. (Yuna is a tuna girl. Get it? Yuna – Tuna? I see myself out.) That is far too much at once! It takes a lot of tension out of the story/game, when half the cast is already in love with the MC. Even Sakura tells us that Kirei is into the MC. Too much, too soon. Sakura as well. I already feel less and less about these things.
I've had worries that the game was a bit of a slow-burner - so I tried to amend that by introducing characters and events at a faster pace. I can assure you that not all of the girls are interested in Arvin as of now - the only main ones being Saori, Ami, and Sakura. I may slightly adjust the wording on some lines, as I may have made the discussion of feelings with characters like Kirei and Kasu a little more exaggerated than I anticipated.

Most people don’t use the name of the person they are talking to during conversation if there is no need to clarify to whom they speak to. For example, in Saoris bedroom during the movie, the MC gives her a compliment and her response “Oh – thanks, Arvin”. No one would use his name in that situation because it’s clear that she speaks to him. That makes the dialogue feel artificial and you are doing that quite often. No need to go back to fix it but try to pay attention to it. I think that can help to improve dialogue quite a bit,
Little oddities like using first names in dialog is the perfect example of something I'd want to improve on. I've had trouble blending realistic-sounding dialog with narrative lines, so I will pay this closer attention.

Maybe Natuski should not wear ear rings and her usual make up in the pool. I’m not sure, but I don’t think that goes well together.
That's the 2nd Natsuki earring comment - totally understand how it's a funny worldbuilding inconsistency - I'll try to address this.

Visiting Rin at the library. She says books can’t hurt you. She clearly never had a book about higher level physics in hand.

I’m beeing honest. I do not care for the Iris plotline at all. I do not want the MC to be the freaking choosen one. Nothing against the writing. I’m just over this doom and gloom “you are the choosen one!” reveal.
That's fair - I toiled for so long trying to find a way to address this correctly, and I'm not 100% happy with the way it turned out. I didn't want Arvin to be seen as some deity - I wanted to emphasise his and Iris' strange connection, and Iris' connection to the world. This whole event may be altered down the line - will give it a look :)

Bugs:
-My gallery is already mostly unlocked, even trough I just got into the free roam part.
-The first art club event repeats itself for me, after the event Sakuras first kiss. Not sure if it did that before already.
Thanks for the bug reports - the art club is one I haven't caught yet and happens due to a progression system revamp. Will be fixed in the next update :)
As for the gallery - I packaged the bugfix update wrong, my bad - the persistent flags for each image must have been enabled. Will fix this for future versions too :)

Inconsistencies:
-Saori tells us in the beginning that she iis happy that the weather is like this again. Implying that it was worse. During our first free roam meeting with Nia, the MC mentions how static the weather is.
-First time seeing Saki on day one. She mentions beer and Saori says that we in she and MC are not old enough to drink. During the first visit to the bar, the MC tells us that he is indeed old enough to drink.
-First Monday, Natsuki says she doesn’t want to be a plank and more developed like Saori, but they do have like the same bust size and slightly larger hips? Certainly she is not a plank.
-First time in the manga club, Rin tells the MC how she and Takane have their heads in the clouds half the time and he acts like he isn’t somewhere else all the time too. Not really an inconcistency I guess, but I still wanted to mention it here.
To be honest, this is the first writing project I've worked on - and over the months of development, it's no surprise that there are some inconsistencies that have slipped through. I'll adjust these, thanks for letting me know :)

Good luck with your game. Im looking forward to more!
Thanks for checking out the game! There'll be another update coming within the next month or so so keep your eyes peeled! There's also occasional spoilers on the Discord too if you're interested.

Thanks again dude :))

Reactions: Leo-67

Maelstrom507

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2023
I answered all math questions correctly without a calculator, i'm a real big boy now.

Game is nice so far, hope this can scratch that "existential dread mixed with romance and humor" mix. (after a certain other game in that genre straight up died because the creator got arrested)
I hope it will :)

Wait... what game is that? Surely not LiL?

Musicfruit

Oct 8, 2017
I hope it will :)

Wait... what game is that? Surely not LiL?
LiL would be news to me, but the developer from Sensei Overnight allegedly got arrested for luring young girls into sending him pictures.

Little oddities like using first names in dialog is the perfect example of something I'd want to improve on. I've had trouble blending realistic-sounding dialog with narrative lines, so I will pay this closer attention.
Understandable, that is quite hard and I'm sure I would struggle with it as well. :D

4.20 star(s) 5 Votes