Dec 20, 2018
I wish Mac users would spend a minimum of time to learn how their computers actually work :rolleyes:

An app on Mac is nothing but a folder masquerading as a file. See for yourself: right click on any app and pick "Show package contents" and you'll see the folder structure hidden inside.
The key is in the folder name: an app has .app hidden at the end. Remove that, and the app becomes an ordinary folder. The reverse is true as well. So all you need to do here is to change the name from Apocalust.app 0.05 Mac to Apocalust.app 0.05 Mac.app and presto, there is your app.

Advanced course: if you navigate in said folder structure to /Contents/MacOs and open the file Apocalust0.05 (an Unix executable), the game will start as well.

This ends the lecture. Class dismissed.
i changed the end to .app and it says that the file cannot open

Jan 24, 2023
I'm not on Linux, but can't you do what I would do on my Mac, that is, download the Windows version, dump it in the matching Ren'Py SDK and build the Linux version yourself ?
I have no idea. Most people suggest just using bootcamp in Mac and run Windows on it.

I have a VM that runs Windows 10. I'm just lazy but if I really wanted to I could just power that up and download the game to that and play it. I won't bother as people are saying it's BJs and rubbing. The usual slow burn, blue ball thing which is ironically looking at giant shlong most of the time.

I don't know how it is now, but I could buy legit Windows 10 licenses on Ebay from guys in the UK for 5 bucks if the price is a problem. They would email it pretty much immediately and then you just get an image online and use the key for it.

Last edited:

Jack-ish

Jul 12, 2018
Not sure how this one escaped my attention. I really liked Dark Neighborhood, so I hope this one is just as good.

Reactions: kasata

KGregory

Jul 9, 2019
I wish Mac users would spend a minimum of time to learn how their computers actually work :rolleyes:

An app on Mac is nothing but a folder masquerading as a file. See for yourself: right click on any app and pick "Show package contents" and you'll see the folder structure hidden inside.
The key is in the folder name: an app has .app hidden at the end. Remove that, and the app becomes an ordinary folder. The reverse is true as well. So all you need to do here is to change the name from Apocalust.app 0.05 Mac to Apocalust.app 0.05 Mac.app and presto, there is your app.

Advanced course: if you navigate in said folder structure to /Contents/MacOs and open the file Apocalust0.05 (an Unix executable), the game will start as well.

Thank you for the lecture. Being a dinosaur, computing is not my strong point. I appreciate you taking the time to explain what was required. Thanks again.

Reactions: PBS666 and ehromda

SubtleHustle

May 11, 2017

There you go! Explain it to them as if they're iPhone users.

• Haha
Reactions: PBS666

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
i changed the end to .app and it says that the file cannot open
Next step, do this

Two things might have gone wrong:
  • the app is quarantined by Gatekeeper because it's from an unknown developer;
  • the executable inside the app might have lost its execute permission during unzipping
To check quarantine, start Terminal and type "xattr " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the app you just created into the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Mind there is a space between the command and said path. Hit enter. If you see com.apple.quarantine in the results, the app is quarantined.
To remove the quarantine, type "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine " and drag the app again into the window. Hit enter. Quarantine should now be removed.

To check the second case, you need to look into the contents of the app: right click on the app, pick Show package contents. Navigate to /Contents/MacOS/. Inside that folder you'll see a file called Apocalust0.05. That file should be a Unix executable. If it's anything else, it has lost its execute permission.
To fix this, start Terminal and type "chmod a+x " without the quotes at the prompt and drag the file inside the Terminal window. Terminal will fill out the path for you. Again mind there is a space between the command and the path. Hit enter. The file should now be executable.

As a general precaution, make a duplicate of the app first before changing its attributes or permissions.

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
I have no idea. Most people suggest just using bootcamp in Mac and run Windows on it.

I have a VM that runs Windows 10. I'm just lazy but if I really wanted to I could just power that up and download the game to that and play it. I won't bother as people are saying it's BJs and rubbing. The usual slow burn, blue ball thing which is ironically looking at giant shlong most of the time.

I don't know how it is now, but I could buy legit Windows 10 licenses on Ebay from guys in the UK for 5 bucks if the price is a problem. They would email it pretty much immediately and then you just get an image online and use the key for it.
Ren'Py is platform agnostic. Installing Windows in a VM just for running Ren'Py games is completely unnecessary.
It takes me only a few minutes creating a build for another OS out of the Windows game using the free Ren'Py SDK.
There are instructions here: https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-create-a-mac-version-of-any-renpy-game.3289/post-3532643,
written by a Linux user no less. It should work on Linux too as the Ren'Py SDK builds a Linux version by default.

codex35

Jan 10, 2019
He completed the previous game in 2 years. It's been 2 years since the first release of Apocalust, and the game has barely started. It is obvious that he will create it for at least the next 3-4 years. Business is business ;)
you are right but Dark Neighborhood and Apocalust is not same level

3.90 star(s) 137 Votes