4.20 star(s) 19 Votes

matsomatso

Jul 29, 2019
First off: what was the developer thinking making SONGS part of the sound effects instead of the music? HIGHLY annoying. And a fail IMHO.
Music should fall under music. The end. Because not every player has the same feel or appreciation for the same music.
For instance rock music is more like fight music for me. Now guess how well that works in scenes? It's a straight up boner killer.

Second off. The rest of the sound effect are few and far between. But the most important sound effect: the sex sounds are either very poorly done or missing completely. Somehow sounds like water running and ringtones were deemed more important. Also when you skip text....the sounds keep playing. again...not correct. In other games you skip and the sound stops as soon as that screen is past. Why not here?
I agree. Using song clips to accent specific lines of dialog is dumb! Every developer should always follow exactly the same formula for every project. Every linear novel, visual novel, and game should be exactly the same. And EVERY developer should pay professional sound engineers, no matter how little revenue the project generates. Nobody should EVER create a project, just for fun. If you can't afford to make it worthy of critics, don't even try!
I simply couldn't agree more!

• Haha
Reactions: Bearded_NoPants

matsomatso

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand why you would play or even expect sound in those games to begin with.
In the first of these games that I ever played all sounds were super loud and annoying loops, since then I always mute the sound in the game as well as the entire application in windows settings because some games circumvent the ingame mute.

So while this is a personal opinion thing, I have to say that sound is almost entirely a thing that shouldn't have any priority in the game design of such games, unless they have original sound design and/or actual decent voice acting.
See "Being a DIK" for example, that game does it pretty nicely, but that's because of the very high quality standards of the developer and the fact that he's a perfectionist.

For Sylvie this seems more like a hobby and that's fine. Her free time that she spends on the game should be used on the story, assets, characters, etc.
AH! An intelligent comment! Nicely done :)

Graag

Jan 13, 2018
I agree. Using song clips to accent specific lines of dialog is dumb! Every developer should always follow exactly the same formula for every project. Every linear novel, visual novel, and game should be exactly the same. And EVERY developer should pay professional sound engineers, no matter how little revenue the project generates. Nobody should EVER create a project, just for fun. If you can't afford to make it worthy of critics, don't even try!
I simply couldn't agree more!
Sarcasm is fun but not really useful. It tells me you can't really deal with criticism. Which is not really constructive.
As to your point: yeah I could go into it but since you started with this childish tone I really cannot be bothered. I made my point. Deal with it.

Bearded_NoPants

Skin as brittle and thin as dry rice paper
Donor
Jan 12, 2020
Hmm just played it for the first time.

Graphics is good. The models are well made. No problems there

But sound effects? oh boy this needs a ton of work.
First off: what was the developer thinking making SONGS part of the sound effects instead of the music? HIGHLY annoying. And a fail IMHO.
Music should fall under music. The end. Because not every player has the same feel or appreciation for the same music.
For instance rock music is more like fight music for me. Now guess how well that works in scenes? It's a straight up boner killer.

Second off. The rest of the sound effect are few and far between. But the most important sound effect: the sex sounds are either very poorly done or missing completely. Somehow sounds like water running and ringtones were deemed more important. Also when you skip text....the sounds keep playing. again...not correct. In other games you skip and the sound stops as soon as that screen is past. Why not here?

Storywise....good enough. Can be great with a few improvements later on. But all in all I have seen a lot worse.

So I will keep an eye on this one. But I doubt I will play it again while the sound is this poor unfortunately.
Your complaining about music and sound effects in an adult game... REALLY? WOW! you know there such a thing as a mute button right? Maybe Sylvie Dreams need to put a tutorial on how to control the volume dial just for you.

God, forbid someone be new at making games or are still getting a grasp of the mechanics.

Personally I think your just looking for stuff to criticize. like you do on most threads.

Sarcasm is fun but not really useful. It tells me you can't really deal with criticism. Which is not really constructive.
As to your point: yeah I could go into it but since you started with this childish tone I really cannot be bothered. I made my point. Deal with it.
If you don't like getting called out for shitposts then don't shitpost. As for the childish tone the original post was childish itself with the level of self entitled over opinionated comment. But not rare when someone checks you older posts. How bout YOU "Deal with it"

afterlights

Jan 31, 2020
What an odd argument, especially over something that can be disabled. (Edit: I always "Mute All," because I usually have my own music playing somewhere.)

• Haha

matsomatso

Jul 29, 2019
Arizona [v0.06b] Sylvie Dreams

Original Size Win/Linux: 737 MB
Original Size Mac: 719 MB

Compressed Size Win/Linux: 311 MB
Compressed Size Mac: 293 MB

Win/Linux: MEGA
Mac: MEGA

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.
Check the OP
There's a newer official version posted since that comp that corrects one wrong image, I think. Otherwise it's fine.
Version 0.07 is due out in a couple of weeks. (According to SubscribeStar post)

Lola Adjani

May 28, 2018
I thought about your response (to the response to you comment) and I have to say:
While sarcasm CAN sometimes be tedious, the concept of matsomatso's argument makes sense. I take the blame/credit for the idea of using short song clips to complement some lines of dialog. "Paranoid" was my idea, "Freebird" was Sylvie's, etc. Unfortunately, we didn't know much about Ren'Py audio channels, and we got it wrong.

I just thought doing something 'different' might be fun. Sylvie agreed, and we're both proud of the result.

If you read the earlier comments here, you'll learn that she and I are NOT seasoned professionals. We're both brand new at game development. (She does all the art, while I do the English editing, and some of the fictional stuff . . . NEITHER of us is a sound engineer, and neither can afford to hire one. Other devs have graciously offered advice, for which we are eternally grateful).

We learn a lot with every release, but there is a LOT to learn . . . about EVERY facet of game development. Art and story are our main focus, at this point. Improving our sound editing skills will have to come later. There ARE only the TWO of us, so we can only do so much, so quickly.

Eventually, we'd LOVE to go back and refine the earlier sound clips, but for now there just isn't time, nor is it that high of a priority. We're developing this VN to gain experience, but mainly because we love doing it. We're very happy with our progress. I'm incredibly proud of how far Sylivie has advanced, and she's proud of me.

If you enjoy this project, GREAT! If not, I'm sorry about your luck. Click on "Latest Updates" and try again. Thanks for playing, and thanks for the feedback!

That is all :)

Mrbanjo

Feb 11, 2019
Arizona [v0.06b] Sylvie Dreams

Original Size Win/Linux: 737 MB
Original Size Mac: 719 MB

Compressed Size Win/Linux: 311 MB
Compressed Size Mac: 293 MB

Win/Linux: MEGA
Mac: MEGA

This compression is unofficial. Compressing process reduces image/audio/video quality and can break the game, be aware of that.
My anti virus fount trojans in your work. Care to explain?

Sylver Games

Evil. Never. Dies!!!!! \m/
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 29, 2020
NEWS, NEWS, NEWS!!

These are the dates scheduled for the next update:

-November 11th: God, Ultra-Mega Fan and Bug Killer tiers.
-November 15th: Mega Suporter tier.
-November 18th: Fan tier.
-November 21st: Supporter tier.
-November, 23th: Public release.

Changelog:

-623 new renders (2347 overall).
-11 new animations (71 overall).
-A lot of new sound effects!

I really hope this update drives you even more crazy than the last one!

4.20 star(s) 19 Votes