sunwanchen92

Jul 3, 2023
Hi all, new player here. I just downloaded AA2 with AAU and try to edit the character in AA2Edit, however it doesn't has any background and the character was glitched like below. It works the same even on original character of AA2.

Also after I open AA2Play it just stuck in black background with BGM keep on playing. Anyone knows which settings is the problem? Much appreciated.

1688373504144.png

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
sunwanchen92 My first thought was "Is this even PPX?", then I saw the top left corner. Then I saw the broken names on the character list. Then the..weird...column...thing below the portrait. This shot looks like some "the more you look - the more you find" horror story.:eek:

That aside, did you check the comments for that card? Sometimes cards require additional resources not embedded in the card itself, and modders leave links to said resources in the comments. Maybe that is the problem here.

EDIT: O...kay, this card has a bunch of additional things you need to be aware of. HOWEVER, the funny thing here is that even when I ignore all of that, the card loads just ; it looks wrong - duh, I denied it anything it needed to look "right" - but the point remains that the character is not messed up. Which made me think "why would the background not work? It is part of the core game, not the card". In other words, my conclusion is that something is wrong with your game. Forget the character - the core game files seem screwed up. And by that I mean "not loaded", maybe even missing.

Last edited:

Snatched

May 25, 2020
Doesn't sound like you ran Windows SFC (Microsoft has instructions for that), but you really should even if you don't plan to play this game ever. Since getting that error at all is a bad indicator for your system health and it's not the game that's causing it. It could have effects that you aren't aware of or which might hit you somewhere else.
Thank you - this was VERY helpful. I did the Windows SFC (I had never heard of this) and then sfc /scannow and it succesfullt repaired stuff, notably:

DEPLOY [Pnp] Corrupt file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BthA2dp.sys
DEPLOY [Pnp] Repaired file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BthA2dp.sys
DEPLOY [Pnp] Corrupt file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BthHfEnum.sys
DEPLOY [Pnp] Repaired file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\BthHfEnum.sys
DEPLOY [Pnp] Corrupt file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys
DEPLOY [Pnp] Repaired file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys

Whatever that means. But I'm glad is found "something" and reported that it fixred the "somethings."
I'll try re-installing the game sometime soon, and I'll report if I get favorable results.
Thanks again for your time and details.

tiikerihai

Oct 22, 2022
So those are bluetooth drivers, I think, I doubt they have anything to do with AA2 not working but you never know. Probably don't want to have corrupted drivers on your system either way, it's certainly not going to have positive effects.

Jan 25, 2018
Oh man, I downloaded the AA2MiniPPX version from the modern guide because I don't even remember where I got the AA2Mini, which was working but for some reason, the PPX version won't even launch and crashes the launcher. The Mini version runs fine but there are a ton of mods I can't use since it runs with old .pp2 mods and not the .ppx versions everyone is transitioning to. Unlucky.

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
TheOnlyRockSolid Starting with the obvious:

1. You did install .NET Core, correct? Would be rather awkward if you skipped over "Step 1" of the guide. :rolleyes: But people sometimes manage to pull that off.
2. Did you go over the Troubleshooting section of that guide?
3. Are you running Windows 11? I recall there being something you need to change in the [system] settings before you can run the game.

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
Is there a proper guide somewhere for how to edit existing modules, or create new ones? Or is that like a closely guarded secret? The in the wiki seems to mostly be about coding triggers, but there's not really any info on packing/unpacking modules, editing module triggers, associating global variables with modules, etc.

So far I've worked out that to edit triggers in an existing module you have to unpack it first with the Unpack Module button, and to repack it you highlight the loose triggers and select Export As Module, but modules usually have globals defined and I have no idea how to associate global variables with a module. The export menu has lists for Triggers, Globals, and Dependencies, and the Triggers list gets populated with all of the highlighted triggers, but there's seemingly no way to populate or interact with the other 2 lists.

I'm concerned that if I unpack a module, edit it, and then repack it, I'm potentially missing some critical steps and the module will no longer work correctly.

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
extralink Yes, actually. Then again, with as little info as you provided, it might be that you thought "win10fix" was irrelevant since you are not on Win10 - big mistake, if true. If the problem persists, go to the AA2 launcher, select win10fix, click Settings and change the "d3d9 variant" setting. See which one performs best for you (DXVK worked much better for me).

Jan 26, 2020
extralink Yes, actually. Then again, with as little info as you provided, it might be that you thought "win10fix" was irrelevant since you are not on Win10 - big mistake, if true. If the problem persists, go to the AA2 launcher, select win10fix, click Settings and change the "d3d9 variant" setting. See which one performs best for you (DXVK worked much better for me).
Thanks but I managed to fix it another way.
I didn't have win10fix enabled because it caused a crash.
In the end, I tried what someone said on github to 'disabling win10fix and enabling wined3d and software vertex processing' and now everything runs fine for me.

Reactions: Tsugumi

Tsugumi

Oct 16, 2018
You did all the work. (y)

I didn't have win10fix enabled because it caused a crash.
Did you have both win10fix and wined3d enabled, by any chance? :unsure: That would cause a crash. Then again, the error message for that is rather clear on what happened, so I doubt that was the case.

This is just me being curious.

but I managed to fix it another way.
At the end of the day, the thing that matters. ;)

tiikerihai

Oct 22, 2022
I'm concerned that if I unpack a module, edit it, and then repack it, I'm potentially missing some critical steps and the module will no longer work correctly.
You are creating a discrepancy by editing existing modules, that's what you should be worried about. The idea of modules is that everyone has the latest set so all cards work as expected. Modules don't add special additional functionality to triggers which you seem to be thinking they do, they are quite literally a bunch of different individual triggers with all their associated things like globals packaged into a single file for the sake of portability and updateability.
When you have loose triggers on a card, those triggers will always be the same until the card itself is edited whereas with modules the triggers are loaded from a file on your hard drive if you have the module stored there, so even if the card itself ships with outdated/broken module, it will work for the user.

Grim

Aug 17, 2016
You are creating a discrepancy by editing existing modules, that's what you should be worried about.
I don't intend to edit the modules that come with AA2Unlimited. Occasionally I'll download a card that has custom modules included which is what I'd like to edit.

Modules don't add special additional functionality to triggers which you seem to be thinking they do, they are quite literally a bunch of different individual triggers with all their associated things like globals packaged into a single file for the sake of portability and updateability.
I'm aware of what a module is. What I can't figure out is how to repackage the globals with the triggers. I suppose I could just leave the module unpacked.

4.70 star(s) 17 Votes