Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
I cannot support every month. I am however, giving 5 dollars rotative each month and I will make you guys the March donation. So, what gives you more money at the end of the day, patreon or buy me a coffee?
That's very kind of you, I think they both charge similar taxes so, you use what you feel more comfortable with, and of course only if you can.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
That's very kind of you, I think they both charge similar taxes so, you use what you feel more comfortable with, and of course only if you can.
Well, if you happen to learn how much each charges let me know. Otherwise, I might just go patreon for a month.

You guys deserve it.

Reactions: yandex and Kthulian

Ozel

Compressor
Game Developer
Apr 14, 2019
Hi all, here's my compressed version:

Ataegina [v0.4.9] [Kthulian] PC/Mac/Linux Compressed

Full Game Compressed Size - PC/Linux: 1.05 GB - Mac: 1.03 GB
Update Only Compressed Size - 66.6 MB
("Update Only" contains only the new content for v0.4.9. Version 0.4.8 required. Installation instructions included in the folder.)

Tools used:
Unren 0.8 by sam
Cruncher v0.4.1 by bas

This version is official, supported by myself and Kthulian. Tested to be working.
Lossy compression used. Compression reduces image/sound/video/animation quality to save disk space.

PC/Linux Full: |
Mac Full: |
Update Only: |

Enjoy! :D

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
It's far more noticeable if you are playing evil path. In earlier updates MC had plenty of chances to be a douchebag. Now it plays like I was on the good path all along despite having 16 evil points. It only comes up when he is about to use the stone. Starting to feel like a kinetic novel tbh.
I had this impression too, and I guess merging routes would lead to this if they don't call the variables all the time to modify dialogue.

MC's character in the evil route is absolutely inconsistent lately. If we look back to the very beginning, the choice for joining the evil route is clearly the result of wanting more power and dominating others. This character trait was delivered pretty well for the most part in the early stages. MC didn't have the power to do as he pleased at first, but at least he never came across as a simp or something as far as I can remember.

Now, MC is extremely powerful, and has been indulging in the stone's powers all the time. Yet, he acts like a simp and his inner thoughts and dialogue with various characters are pretty much leaning towards a good MC. This is most grating in his interactions with the healer lady (forgot her name). Their childish banter and stuff might feel right at home in the other routes, but it doesn't fit the supposed persona of the evil MC.

This is a very common problem we see in most games that use good/evil choices. It's quite hard to nail a voice for the MC that can fit both of those routes. When writing shared lines of dialogue between the routes, you need to really tone it down so that both types of MC could conceivably say these things. If it becomes too unreasonable, you need to check the variables and give modified dialogues for the routes.

This is always my go to example when it comes to this issue, but Radiant's script is how not to do Good/Evil. Our Fate is the shining example of good/evil done right.

kajidiablo

Apr 8, 2018
lol so this is new, i used mega and hit download as a zip and its downloading all the files separately, ill admit i was surprised seeing 1100 files added to the cue xD what's up with that did i somehow screw up?

Neoempiricist

Oct 23, 2020
This wasn't a easy month and it was a couple of days shorter...
But here it is V0.4.9

"Download as zip if you want to download it as a pack"

v0.4.9 PC

v0.4.9 MAC

MAC/PC v48 to v49 update

v0.4.9 Android (The66)

Changelog:

Fixed some bugs

As usual, if you find any issues let me know about it.
Thanks!

(PS: the download of PC and MAC will not be a zipped file, so if you have any issues let me know)
I had no issue downloading the v0.4.9 Mac version of the game. However, it will not run. If you could take a look, that would be most appreciated.

UPDATE: There is no Unix executable in the MacOs folder.

Last edited:

majinmike

Aug 22, 2017
Ok i'm at the part where there is a party at the mage college after the devils attacked. My only question is WHY WONT THE MC TELL ISABELLA AND KATLA THEY ARE FAMILY ALREADY. This should've happened chapters ago but he just won't and I don't understand why.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
I had this impression too, and I guess merging routes would lead to this if they don't call the variables all the time to modify dialogue.

MC's character in the evil route is absolutely inconsistent lately. If we look back to the very beginning, the choice for joining the evil route is clearly the result of wanting more power and dominating others. This character trait was delivered pretty well for the most part in the early stages. MC didn't have the power to do as he pleased at first, but at least he never came across as a simp or something as far as I can remember.

Now, MC is extremely powerful, and has been indulging in the stone's powers all the time. Yet, he acts like a simp and his inner thoughts and dialogue with various characters are pretty much leaning towards a good MC. This is most grating in his interactions with the healer lady (forgot her name). Their childish banter and stuff might feel right at home in the other routes, but it doesn't fit the supposed persona of the evil MC.

This is a very common problem we see in most games that use good/evil choices. It's quite hard to nail a voice for the MC that can fit both of those routes. When writing shared lines of dialogue between the routes, you need to really tone it down so that both types of MC could conceivably say these things. If it becomes too unreasonable, you need to check the variables and give modified dialogues for the routes.

This is always my go to example when it comes to this issue, but Radiant's script is how not to do Good/Evil. Our Fate is the shining example of good/evil done right.
So, I can actually explain this a bit. Ever since being back at the college, he's had to continue his role from before he left. But, with version 0.50 coming up, we're going to be doing a path split again. It's going to be the last point in the game you get to choose. After that, you're locked in. We've wanted you to be able to experience all the characters you could during your first part of the game, but the second half is going to be far more path focused.

And you're right, finding the balance between is the hard process. How do you do good and evil or in our case Good, Neutral and Evil, without creating fundamentally different characters in the process. I like to think of it as the Reverse-NTR problem (GASP!! THE DREADED WORD!!!) but I'm using it here as an example. In those kind of games, you see a severe personality shift usually in the females between how they interact with you, and how they interact with others. Almost to the point of a logical person being unable to identify the characters as even being the same being.

It's the same with Good and Evil choices. He doesn't become a rotten bastard just by a single choice. In the early game, the Evil Path was less about Evil as it was not being a Goody Goody Mage College boy. Much in the same way Bredita isn't really EVIL, she's just doesn't want to follow the rules set forth by Ayna and the others. Then there's the difference between our boy and Father. Father is True Evil, and that's the other far extreme where our MC has drawn the line that he doesn't want to get there either. At least for now.

Certain decisions were made with regards to characters, to give you the choice to undo decisions you had made or reaffirm them. Mida is a big one. People who gave her away and cheated on her found themselves in situations to get her back. But if you didn't want her back you're given a lot opportunity to ignore her outright and even piss her off further.

Or even in this latest chapter, you apologize to the character after them coming back but then are given an opportunity to put them under your thumb.

Certain characters, like Katriona, he finds harder to just outright be an asshole to because of their history. Or people like Katla and Isabella who he believes he has a past with, he acts polite to them. There's also something to be said of him being a sleeper agent in the College right now. You know, and he knows, which path he is actually on.

All you're doing is biding your time. Until next month.

Al that said, do bear in mind that a path split will mean split updates again. Since it's clear that what people want is to separate out again, each update will be 2 or 3 months difference as opposed to the single update per month like usual. Now, he may still put out an update a month, but it will be marked G, N or E based on that fact.

Last edited:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
So, I can actually explain this a bit. Ever since being back at the college, he's had to continue his role from before he left. But, with version 0.50 coming up, we're going to be doing a path split again. It's going to be the last point in the game you get to choose. After that, you're locked in. We've wanted you to be able to experience all the characters you could during your first part of the game, but the second half is going to be far more path focused.

And you're right, finding the balance between is the hard process. How do you do good and evil or in our case Good, Neutral and Evil, without creating fundamentally different characters in the process. I like to think of it as the Reverse-NTR problem (GASP!! THE DREADED WORD!!!) but I'm using it here as an example. In those kind of games, you see a severe personality shift usually in the females between how they interact with you, and how they interact with others. Almost to the point of a logical person being unable to identify the characters as even being the same being.

It's the same with Good and Evil choices. He doesn't become a rotten bastard just by a single choice. In the early game, the Evil Path was less about Evil as it was not being a Goody Goody Mage College boy. Much in the same way Bredita isn't really EVIL, she's just doesn't want to follow the rules set forth by Ayna and the others. Then there's the difference between our boy and Father. Father is True Evil, and that's the other far extreme where our MC has drawn the line that he doesn't want to get there either. At least for now.

Certain decisions were made with regards to characters, to give you the choice to undo decisions you had made or reaffirm them. Mida is a big one. People who gave her away and cheated on her found themselves in situations to get her back. But if you didn't want her back you're given a lot opportunity to ignore her outright and even piss her off further.

Or even in this latest chapter, you apologize to the character after them coming back but then are given an opportunity to put them under your thumb.

Certain characters, like Katriona, he finds harder to just outright be an asshole to because of their history. Or people like Katla and Isabella who he believes he has a past with, he acts polite to them. There's also something to be said of him being a sleeper agent in the College right now. You know, and he knows, which path he is actually on.

All you're doing is biding your time. Until next month.

Al that said, do bear in mind that a path split will mean split updates again. Since it's clear that what people want is to separate out again, each update will be 2 or 3 months difference as opposed to the single update per month like usual. Now, he may still put out an update a month, but it will be marked G, N or E based on that fact.
I understand the lore and plot reasons why he may be acting the way he does. It just doesn't come off as smoothly as one would hope. It takes a lot of head cannon and justifications to reconcile the differences in the MC's actions and his expected persona. Even though he isn't really full evil per se, he should be someone who seeks power and domination. He should want to garner respect and authority. His interactions with the woman outside of those directly following specific "evil" choices, are of the awkward/simpy/white knight/pervy/silly variety. It's a tall order to just assume he is acting goofy for his mission or whatever in all these cases. We need some confirmatory inner thoughts at least once in a while if we are to accept it with confidence.

We can both agree that it's a delicate process. It's probably damn hard to get a text line just right to satisfy all 3 routes. This is where we can take inspiration from Our Fate. Now I only played the bad daddy route, but I am quite positive CedSense employed a system that goes something like this. Let's say there is a common line for the paths that goes like, "I am so glad you came into my life, D." If some dialogue or thought doesn't jive too well with the current path, there is usually an added line that frames it back into the MC's persona. He might have a thought following that previous line that goes something like, 'Heh, I will train you to be a good little pet.' I mean, we do know what the bad daddy MC is all about, so it's not impossible to just assume MC is saying shit to win her trust. It does help a lot if we get those confirmatory snippets at least once in a while, though.

I do remember just skipping through the good route in Our Fate to see what's going on there. It uses almost entirely the same renders. The conditional texts (along with sections of unique script) makes the 2 routes as different as night and day. That is a damn good system if you ask me.

Anyways, no shade to anyone here. I only try to offer constructive criticism when I enjoy the material.

Reactions: EZ8lt
May 24, 2020
Are all the routes same or different? For the last few updates I am getting same story in all the routes. Did I miss something?

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Still a proud Patron, excited to try next update! Ktulian, I had some access problems with a Patreon account I use, I want to send you a message so will look for you on Discord. :)

d_pedestrian

Engaged Member
Jul 18, 2020
Ok i'm at the part where there is a party at the mage college after the devils attacked. My only question is WHY WONT THE MC TELL ISABELLA AND KATLA THEY ARE FAMILY ALREADY. This should've happened chapters ago but he just won't and I don't understand why.
maybe after having sex with Katla MC will tell her. who knows she might not fuck him if she comes to know he's her adopted son :LOL:.

4.20 star(s) 169 Votes