RPGM Aylia's Story [v0.11] [YummyTiger]

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Easy08

Oct 20, 2017
No. And here's the kicker, if you don't like it, don't visit my Patreon or read threads about Aylia's Story. People like to complain, but take some responsibility yourself. Don't blame me because people "wasted their time." They CHOSE to play a 0.11 release, which by definition is an early release with little content. It's not like there is a lack of information warning people in this and every thread. Also, the January 2019 release date was the first I've given in almost a year.

Time wasted isn't just about playing the demo. People read your posts about the development process, see a release date, and log on afterwards to find there's been another unexpected delay. Those minutes absolutely add up, especially over a long period of time. Sure, they chose to monitor your Patreon. But you are the one baiting them into hanging around. "Hey guys, this is a cool feature you may see someday. Here's some artwork, you know, for the game you may see someday. Oh here's a release date for the game you've been waiting for / I've been promoting for years. Oh shucks, turns out I actually didn't have time after all." Rinse and repeat. That's on you man.

If I stand up in front of a room full of people and say "hey guys, don't leave, I'm ordering pizza and it'll be here at 10." 10 rolls around and everyone's asking, and I wait until 10:30 to tell them I actually couldn't find my phone and hey, maybe next time right? People are gonna be mad. They should be. Yes, they chose to wait for it. But only because I made them think it'd be worth it.

If you stopped with all those unnecessary posts, and just said "hey guys, I won't be back until I have a 1.0" I'd have so much more respect for your project. I'm a professional procrastinator too YT. I can relate. I'm very familiar with the process of making plans and failing to see them through. The difference is I don't drag other people along with me when I do it.

Here's the actual kicker. You have a cool demo with an interesting premise, amusing characters, and an audience willing to pay you. I think if you ever actually release this game it could be really good. You simply choose to spend your time elsewhere.

Not trying to be a dick YT. I hope you can release the game that you and your audience want eventually. I just wish you'd stop wasting their time. Even if your current patrons are more forgiving than I was (I'm assuming they are), that's all the more reason for you to deliver on your promises.

tarzan999

Aug 11, 2016
Time wasted isn't just about playing the demo. People read your posts about the development process, see a release date, and log on afterwards to find there's been another unexpected delay. Those minutes absolutely add up, especially over a long period of time. Sure, they chose to monitor your Patreon. But you are the one baiting them into hanging around. "Hey guys, this is a cool feature you may see someday. Here's some artwork, you know, for the game you may see someday. Oh here's a release date for the game you've been waiting for / I've been promoting for years. Oh shucks, turns out I actually didn't have time after all." Rinse and repeat. That's on you man.

If I stand up in front of a room full of people and say "hey guys, don't leave, I'm ordering pizza and it'll be here at 10." 10 rolls around and everyone's asking, and I wait until 10:30 to tell them I actually couldn't find my phone and hey, maybe next time right? People are gonna be mad. They should be. Yes, they chose to wait for it. But only because I made them think it'd be worth it.

If you stopped with all those unnecessary posts, and just said "hey guys, I won't be back until I have a 1.0" I'd have so much more respect for your project. I'm a professional procrastinator too YT. I can relate. I'm very familiar with the process of making plans and failing to see them through. The difference is I don't drag other people along with me when I do it.

Here's the actual kicker. You have a cool demo with an interesting premise, amusing characters, and an audience willing to pay you. I think if you ever actually release this game it could be really good. You simply choose to spend your time elsewhere.

Not trying to be a dick YT. I hope you can release the game that you and your audience want eventually. I just wish you'd stop wasting their time. Even if your current patrons are more forgiving than I was (I'm assuming they are), that's all the more reason for you to deliver on your promises.
Your analogy is shit. "if you don't like it, don't visit my Patreon or read threads about Aylia's Story. "

Fartmaster

Dec 9, 2018
Honestly it is a great analogy. The people getting upset are the people truly interested in YT game, if they weren't interested, they wouldn't care.

I personally don't believe it will ever be released, but I'm still hoping some pizza shows up.

Reactions: s278a

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
Thank you for the well thought out post. I appreciate it. That said, I'm not keeping people from doing things for an hour or even 30 minutes like having someone wait around for pizza. Everyone is free to use their time as they see fit and let's be honest, checking a webpage is what? A minute? If they choose to read about game features and look at teaser artwork, is that wasting time?

You're also arguing in a vacuum. You say just stay silent and post a release. That's not what my patrons have voted for time and again. When I go silent for a month, they want me to post more. So, do I go silent for a year even though the people supporting me want otherwise? Now, posting a release date in public forums might be a better argument, and those have become quite rare. In fact, I rarely post in any forums anymore. So, in a sense, I've already started doing what your suggesting, I just felt the game was in a good place and made the mistake of posting the January release after 6 months of development in an effort to start rebuilding trust--which unfortunately backfired.

I can tell you this. If I never get a release out the door. Nobody has wasted more time on Aylia's Story than me. And it's not even close.

Reactions: NoMoreParanoia

Easy08

Oct 20, 2017
For me, personally, it was more than that. Reading pre/post release day notifications, comments, occasionally responding to them.. its a lot more than a minute. Over years? Its a lot more than an hour.... And your all your current/past patrons (for whatever amount of time they spent on it)? That time absolutely adds up. And when those game features and teaser artwork perpetually hype the game and feed the release date / maybe next time cycle... they're a problem. Maybe others feel differently about that.

We could argue about the minutia all day. The point I'm trying to make is simple. Don't make promises you can't keep. Every post about the game, whether its a release date, teaser, or update is just another way of saying "Hey, the game is coming, just keep waiting." To refer back to my -apparently shitty- analogy, stop promising pizza. Let people go home. If you don't deliver, fine, at least people aren't waiting around anymore. If you do deliver, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

I think your patron's concern with you not posting is essentially fear that if the posts stop, the game development stops. And they still want the game, so they want to see that you're around. But at the end of the day they want to give you money for a game, not a demo or a teaser. You as the developer have to make the decision about whats best for the project itself.

Sometimes when I have a lot of work to do, I do anything but that work. And I justify it by saying that it's helping me get ready to work (and, technically, it is). I'll eat a good meal, go for a walk to clear my head, take a shower, arrange my workspace optimally/comfortably. But at the end of the day all of those things are just an excuse to procrastinate. In reality, what's best in those moments is to break a big project into smaller chunks and dive in, doing them 1 step at a time.

I think that's what teasers and redesigns are for your project. Yes, they're work related, but they don't contribute to finishing the actual game. You're spending time dragging it out rather than just diving in and getting to work. So while your patrons may want to see them (to know you're still around/working on the game) it's not good for finishing the project. Don't put something that's bad for your game up to a vote. I present the past 4-5 years as my evidence. What you're doing isn't working, and it's time for a change.

I stand by what I said. What you're doing as far as your audience is concerned is wrong. But nevertheless I wish you the best, from someone who has struggled with procrastination his entire life / someone working to becoming a developer, I feel I can relate.

If I do ever get the chance to play your finished game that lives up to the hype, I will eat my keyboard and pay you for the game on Patreon or PayPal. And only one of those is a promise! Best of luck.

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
You're right, and thank you for the post. I struggled with Patreon responsibilities and the lost time related to it (at least years ago before things went to shit), and tried to double dip by keeping Patreon stuff game-related. It still ate up time, but is surely not the reason I'm where I am now. I've definitely tried to break down the huge project into manageable chunks, but that is a skill that has taken time to develop. Aylia's Story is still overwhelming and at times I struggle to find a way to chip away at it. It's also overwhelming in that it all falls on me. When I started, the only skill I felt comfortable with was writing, and... it takes more than that.

I will finish the game, eventually. Hopefully, you enjoy it, but it will never live up to the hype. That was impossible at the onset.

Reactions: NoMoreParanoia

Kerlon

Nov 13, 2016
the problem with YT is he enjoys to spread lies and get people excited, just to disappoint them after. Remember when he used an image with a turtle progressing as he supposedly finished chapter 1? remember when he came back after months of silence to announce that he had a manager now who would put everything on track and YT would release weekly posts of progress and whatnot? remember this year when he apparently was 1 week away of releasing chapter 1, that he would release several teasers and such? yeah exactly, he did nothing, he is a phony. All he does is create this hostile environment, where he can get in arguments with people on the internet. It's almost as the guy has some fetish of playing the victim and defend himself, he clearly enjoys it. Maybe a psychologist could define this mental disorder.
I again strongly believe that YT should not have a plattform where he can continously get his fix. Not saying he should be banned, but threads about his game should be closed.

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
Reported for once again simply attacking. You are free to be the change you want Kerlon. What psychological disorder prevents you from simply ignoring content online? It is not your job to police the Internet. You do not run F95. And, as another suggested, your suggestion to ban the thread makes no sense unless F95 creates a rule saying all games must show progress.

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
You're right, this has devolved into bickering. Originally, I only posted to rectify Oiz getting banned when that was not my intent. Then, I thought it was worth interacting and exchanging ideas. It's far past that.

Ultimately, when I release the update, Kerlon and everyone else who enjoys complaining will be wrong. And, the kicker will be that they will then turn around and play the FREE game they spent years bashing. So be it, hopefully they enjoy it. It's no longer enjoyable to try to interact with the few people here who want to engage about the game. Instead, too many people can't seem figure out that it is possible to simply ignore content they don't like online. If you want to see a way to offer constructive criticism, just look at Easy08, he's someone who I'd like to get this release done for, even though he is no longer a patron.

Thank you to the posters who've engaged and offered valuable insight. I appreciate it, and I'll see you on the other side. For now, AS THE THREAD IS TITLED, assume the game is still "on hold."

444blade5

Dec 24, 2017
Honestly the bickering from all parties is a bit dumb. The haters have no reason to be mad at a developer who is developing a game AS A HOBBY! This game is not Yummy's life, believe it or not. There have been plenty of creators who just disappear off the face of the earth but still taking monthly patreon funds. Yummy is not doing this, in fact he tries to interact with us and let us know that the game is still being worked on. All the while not charging patrons until he releases some major content.

On the other hand feeding trolls and haters with replies does nothing for you except make you feel worse. I'm a starting game dev myself, and I have already noticed that. You should still try to take something from their comments though. Most people get so upset because they like the game you are creating and can't stand that you are developing slowly. Point is IGNORE trolls who have no input on the game, and respond to the people who actually care (Albeit maybe in a rude way) and want to see the game finished.

I want to end saying that I am by no means reprimanding you Yummy. I am just giving my honest opinion. I personly loved the demo, artstyle, and the way scenes were made. In fact your demo helped me get into this area of gaming. All I have is the utmost respect for someone trying to make a game for people for FREE. I can't wait for the next update. If it doesn't come, (I'm hoping it does come) I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Heff_Wulf

Sep 30, 2017
Many people would not be as angry if it was a "hobby" as it would not need a patron and would not need to be actively watched,
Also, if YT just said this project is just a hobby and it an update may not come out for a few years would less annoy people instead of a week or a month, this would also would be a happy surprise for people if an update did come out before the said time.

AlisaB

Jun 19, 2018
Yea, he worked really hard on redrawing goblin's nose and the release of Chapter 1 is imminent. Stay tuned for the announcement of reworked prologue sometime this year and then its just several more years of final tweaks and Chapter 1 will be ready...or just delayed again.

WardenRevan

May 20, 2017
I find it depressing that there are people who hate on a game developer simply on the fact that a deadline was not kept. Yes, the game has been delayed multiple times, he may procrastinate but I do not see any of you haters take the time to make a demo of your own with the same quality that YT has made. I've been following YT patiently for the last couple of years and if it takes a couple more I'll still be there because I believe in him, and his vision for Aylia's Story. We wait years on AAA titles from big game companies who have massive teams dedicated to one title. Cut YT some slack after all you are not the one that's doing the work nor do you have his vision of a completed title.

landon brice

Jan 15, 2018
C´mon who ur trying to lie yt? I´m a developer of games and music rap/trap. Yes it´s a lot of weeks or month to get a good work. But how many years had this games? ur not even in 1.0 version u give one date and 10 moths later continues without anything. Ur not going to lunch this game early that´s obvious. But stop lying say the truth. If the problem is time, had a lot of people here on forums or a lot in places that are free to collab. Man stop serious stop lying the people. For respect of everybody who supported u and still supports u on ur patreon. In a lot of urs u didn´t had anything awesome or big advances to show. U are that kinda of parasite that i hate with all my forces.

landon brice

Jan 15, 2018
Honestly the bickering from all parties is a bit dumb. The haters have no reason to be mad at a developer who is developing a game AS A HOBBY! This game is not Yummy's life, believe it or not. There have been plenty of creators who just disappear off the face of the earth but still taking monthly patreon funds. Yummy is not doing this, in fact he tries to interact with us and let us know that the game is still being worked on. All the while not charging patrons until he releases some major content.

On the other hand feeding trolls and haters with replies does nothing for you except make you feel worse. I'm a starting game dev myself, and I have already noticed that. You should still try to take something from their comments though. Most people get so upset because they like the game you are creating and can't stand that you are developing slowly. Point is IGNORE trolls who have no input on the game, and respond to the people who actually care (Albeit maybe in a rude way) and want to see the game finished.

I want to end saying that I am by no means reprimanding you Yummy. I am just giving my honest opinion. I personly loved the demo, artstyle, and the way scenes were made. In fact your demo helped me get into this area of gaming. All I have is the utmost respect for someone trying to make a game for people for FREE. I can't wait for the next update. If it doesn't come, (I'm hoping it does come) I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
He said years ago this was his life work i saw it on patreon, don´t protect scum bro.

YummyTiger

Game Developer
Jul 12, 2017
He said years ago this was his life work i saw it on patreon, don´t protect scum bro.
Just to clarify, this is only partially true. I did state that I was going full time at one point (for about 6 months). I ended up pissing that opportunity away with an overall lack of discipline. I also never charged anyone anything during this time (or any time for Aylia's Story). Aylia's Story is being developed as a hobby. That has been clearly stated to patrons multiple times and the full-time goal clearly states that it will only happen if regular updates and subsequent charges occur. In fact, for the vast majority of time the game has been in development, it has been a hobby-which is why the patreon was setup to only charge with major releases.

Anyways, thanks for the posts 444blade and WardenRaven, and everyone else rant away if it makes you feel better. Just wanted to clarify that piece of misinformation.

Sangoku25

Jul 3, 2017
is this relly a new version have man old bugs + the make game unplayble.
as soon as you talk to the clothing woman on the first day and get flowers, the game will not go on and is broken so you go downstairs, you can still go back .
this error was fixed times no idea what the mist sol exactly how are there in the version in the cave again no more monster.

3.00 star(s) 2 Votes