4.10 star(s) 13 Votes

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
I know WaltS when into trouble editing a large section of it for me. but I ditch him for my ex-girlfriend.. and frankly, I didn't wanna bother him after I did that. Sorry dude.
Well, if Walt doesn't want to any longer, IDK if I will have the time to be a regular editor, but I can at least go over your existing text files if you want me to.
Your game is a lot of fun and it is a shame that it is hindered by weak English.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Well, if Walt doesn't want to any longer, IDK if I will have the time to be a regular editor, but I can at least go over your existing text files if you want me to.
Your game is a lot of fun and it is a shame that it is hindered by weak English.
I'll up the script for the last version later if you or someone have time to look over them that be cool.

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
You can UnRen the game and then open script.rpy with WordPad or Word (or other MSOffice equivalent).

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
You can UnRen the game and then open script.rpy with WordPad or Word (or other MSOffice equivalent).
Actually, any decent text editor will do the trick, since .rpy files are in plain English. If you want to use a word processor and have one, that's fine, but involves extra overhead and load time and, to get one, cost. I use either Notepad, which is free with Windows, or Note Tab Pro. [It costs to download, but there is also a free version.] I know there are other free text editors out there that work with Windows, and plenty that cost a lot less than MSOffice (which I also have).

ontach

Apr 8, 2018
Actually, any decent text editor will do the trick, since .rpy files are in plain English. If you want to use a word processor and have one, that's fine, but involves extra overhead and load time and, to get one, cost. I use either Notepad, which is free with Windows, or Note Tab Pro. [It costs to download, but there is also a free version.] I know there are other free text editors out there that work with Windows, and plenty that cost a lot less than MSOffice (which I also have).
I don't recommend using Notepad for large files, which is why I suggested WordPad. It might have improved over the years, but I remember a time when opening a large file in Notepad would cause a total system freeze.

Additionally, a word processor gives the option to track changes, which the dev might appreciate, just in case the proofreader accidentally 'edited' code. I use LibreOffice, which is free and does everything I want from MSOffice.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I don't recommend using Notepad for large files, which is why I suggested WordPad. It might have improved over the years, but I remember a time when opening a large file in Notepad would cause a total system freeze.

Additionally, a word processor gives the option to track changes, which the dev might appreciate, just in case the proofreader accidentally 'edited' code. I use LibreOffice, which is free and does everything I want from MSOffice.
Actually, I only use Notepad to view the files and very occasionally make minor changes so I can play the game the way it was meant to play, just because of its limited 'Undo' capability. But I haven't met a .rpy file I couldn't read with Notepad. They're not all that big.

I don't have a reason to mod the .rpy files. I use NoteTab Pro for my other text editing. It has extensive 'Undo' capability. The only time I ever use it with .rpy files is when I when I want to combine them together (when episodes are released in separate files) to facilitate searches.

But your point about tracking changes is quite valid. Word processors can also be used to compare various editions of a file side-by-side, highlighting the changes, which would seem to be a useful option for both the editor and the developer.

Reactions: ontach

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 1635, in script
    jump reject
ScriptError: could not find label 'reject'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    jump reject
  File "E:\Downloads\BadCompany-10-pc\BadCompany-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1695, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "E:\Downloads\BadCompany-10-pc\BadCompany-1.0-pc\renpy\script.py", line 894, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
Bad Company 1.0
Fri Sep 27 15:24:41 2019
when u molest Rachel and pick the second option

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Code:

While running game code:
    jump reject

Full traceback:
    jump reject
  File "E:\Downloads\BadCompany-10-pc\BadCompany-1.0-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1695, in execute
  File "E:\Downloads\BadCompany-10-pc\BadCompany-1.0-pc\renpy\script.py", line 894, in lookup

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
Bad Company 1.0
You're right. That looks like a bug. You can go out to the script.rpy file in the 'game' folder and change 'jump reject' to 'jump rreject'. Note the 2 'r's.

Looking at the code, 'Ignore' might work too, since the 'label' you need to go to is immediately below the statement in error. But I'm not sure about that.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Code:

While running game code:
    jump reject

Full traceback:
    jump reject

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.2.320
Bad Company 1.0
OK thanks, going to fix that asap

Cmann

Donor
Feb 7, 2019
Notepad++
Syntax highlighting, syntax checking, spellcheck, superior batch/multi-task features, etc. Another good option is Sublime, but I don't have a lot of personal experience with that one.

Reactions: Simulacrum29

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Here the script in MSWord. Just in case. I'll put in the proofread in the VN with the bug fix. I should also have the first Animation fix ready as well.

Reactions: Walter Victor

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Quick up date, I wanted to release a fix version earlier that replace animation, bug fix and grammar correction.
The big issue wasn't all that big so that been fix.
Grammar spelling is already done.
The animation didn't came out as good as I hope. in fact it pretty bad if you go by today standard. I had had to redo them 3 time, first I forgot to check the save (Frame was save as JPG instead of PNG that was bone head mistake on my part. but 2nd for some reason there was a shift in the camera angel I'm not sure what cost it since I never touch the camera. The third attempt fixed the camera issue but the animation look really shaky (happen in first and second version too.) I believe it had something to do with frame rate shift in body part placement. I could fix it but that will cost another 5 day. and I'm short on time as it is. so I decide to place it in the game for now and work on the new scene. And redo the animation next later.
Looking at the date. I wanted to release the new version by 25th. IF I can all the new scene done by 20th, I will redo the animation scene.
right now my check list look like this.
Last version fix
Spelling grammar correction 100%
Bug fix 100%
Animation fix 0% back to the drawing board.
New content list
Render 40%
Script 70%
coding 0%

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
New version out v1.1. Patch note. The animation came out a little better but not much. I was going to take it out all together but decide to put it in any way. special thanks to Botc76, Lucifer_Morningstar for editing and proofreading the last version and a few scenes for this version.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
Good update, even though I forgot this game existed.
The problem is being consistency. It's hard to put out an update on the timely matters when I am working by myself plus a full-time job that keeps me on the move. hell this version should have been released last month but I couldn't finish coding it before my work send me out of town.

jish55

Nov 23, 2017
The problem is being consistency. It's hard to put out an update on the timely matters when I am working by myself plus a full-time job that keeps me on the move. hell this version should have been released last month but I couldn't finish coding it before my work send me out of town.
Not blaming you on that, just didn't remember this game is all, but still found it enjoyable with a good story that is getting interesting for sure.

4.10 star(s) 13 Votes