Oct 22, 2017
They said at Best Buy once the motherboard goes, replacing it is almost as expensive as buying a new computer - and the new one will be faster, etc. Of course they all come with those stupid integrated graphics chips, never a real graphics card unless you can afford thousands of dollars.
Regarding the graphics card - really depends on what kind of power you need.
Do you do video editing/play in 4k? Do you need raytracing?

I settled for a GTX 1650 in February which suits my current needs just fine (can run current stuff and a lot of it on high at 1080p, despite being relatively cheap for I don't need it that often). (was ~270€ back then, ~220€ right now)

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Shit I still have a working XP-Pro working :eek: Shit machine compared to the i-9 G11 but still has a purpose, and use....
I still got a working Windows 98 SE computer with 8 Mb video card and also a XP Home machine with a 32 Mb video card.
FF7 back in the day worked great on the 8 Mb card and even better on the 32 Mb card.

Robwood

Aug 3, 2021
I appreciate the advice, everyone, but I'm not making any income right now, so saving money for or buying a graphics card is out of the question. Plus, I'm on a laptop.

What I haven't seen anybody ask, and I will - are you still using a 32-bit version of the operating system? I've worked with a lot of hardware that old (and more), and the biggest problem is people running ancient 32-bit installs when most RenPy games have since moved to 64-bit. Even if it's not the core game code itself, it could be the memory addressing limitations caused in 32-bit operating systems.
My computer's original OS was Windows Vista Home Premium. I had it upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, which is the latest OS that can be installed on the system.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
They still are. Amazing a computer lasted 13 years. First modern one I got was in late 2004. I'm on my fourth now and all of the previous the motherboard went. This one from June 2019.
My last computer lasted me from 2009 until2019, with just one or two graphic card upgrades. Then my late wife used it as all she did was internet stuff, Facebook and whatnot, so it was plenty fast enough for her. I upgraded hers with my old parts. Right now, I still have the old system, it's a Windows 7 system with two HDDs, a 2TB and a 500G and it will get a 1050TI video card soon (my old one). It has a triple core AMD CPU. I originally built it when Windows 7 came out. I built the system I got now at the very end of Windows 7 support, to make sure most of the bugs in Windows 10 were ironed out, and most were by 2019, so I built a totally new system, as I do every time I switch OSes (fewer problems) with Windows 10 at that time.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
What I haven't seen anybody ask, and I will - are you still using a 32-bit version of the operating system? I've worked with a lot of hardware that old (and more), and the biggest problem is people running ancient 32-bit installs when most RenPy games have since moved to 64-bit. Even if it's not the core game code itself, it could be the memory addressing limitations caused in 32-bit operating systems.
OOooh, good question! Yeah, if it is from 2009, it more than likely will be 32bit. The latest version of RenPY 8.0 that came out on June 26th is now 64bit only. So.... time to upgrade that 32bit system folks! heheh

Reactions: ImperialD

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
Regarding the graphics card - really depends on what kind of power you need.
Do you do video editing/play in 4k? Do you need raytracing?

I settled for a GTX 1650 in February which suits my current needs just fine (can run current stuff and a lot of it on high at 1080p, despite being relatively cheap for I don't need it that often). (was ~270€ back then, ~220€ right now)
No, something like Sims 2 (last EP 2008) or Sim City 4 (from 2004) integrated graphics can't handle. Some steam games. I know my setup can't handle Farming Simulator 19 or 22. But both are bad so I'll stick to 17 regardless.

Reactions: Bruce F. Lee

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
No, something like Sims 2 (last EP 2008) or Sim City 4 (from 2004) integrated graphics can't handle. Some steam games. I know my setup can't handle Farming Simulator 19 or 22. But both are bad so I'll stick to 17 regardless.
nawww his whole problem ,,, is the same one i had ..... windows xp .. older system .... 99.9% of the game are running 64bit ... programs the same ... he'll slowly be able to play less and less games ... happened to me upto last year ... i had an older pc as well 2004 model ... lucky for me my youngest son bought me a newer one from walmart that has windows 10 on it ... ( takes a bow ) thank you thank you :LOL:

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
nawww his whole problem ,,, is the same one i had ..... windows xp .. older system .... 99.9% of the game are running 64bit ... programs the same ... he'll slowly be able to play less and less games ... happened to me upto last year ... i had an older pc as well 2004 model ... lucky for me my youngest son bought me a newer one from walmart that has windows 10 on it ... ( takes a bow ) thank you thank you :LOL:
I have Windows 10, which is shit.

Reactions: MrD812

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I have Windows 10, which is shit.
I love Windows 10. I heard so many bad things about it so I hesitated to upgrade to it, but once I did, it was the smoothest transition of ANY version of Windows I have upgrade to. I still remember the Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade, that was painful. A lot of software wouldn't work with Win7 anymore. That was mainly due to the transition from 32bit to 64bit though, not really Windows fault. When I switched to Windows 10 from 7 (I skipped 8), it was very nice. Only ONE program I had would not work, and it was just a Microsoft program which had a different version of it and was no big deal (my old webcam software). I had one hiccup with Windows 10 which was quickly fixed within a few days and that was it. Never had another problem, I haven't been nagged to upgrade to Windows 11 at all. I'll use Windows 10 as long as I can. I tried Linux out... no thanks. Windows is a very good operating system. Like all software as complex as it is, there's bound to be issues that come up, which is why I wait to upgrade.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I appreciate the advice, everyone, but I'm not making any income right now, so saving money for or buying a graphics card is out of the question. Plus, I'm on a laptop.

My computer's original OS was Windows Vista Home Premium. I had it upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, which is the latest OS that can be installed on the system.
Hey robwood. If you can run Win7 64 bit, you should be able to run any Renpy game, including Bad Memories. Some other players with old computers, and laptops, were able to change the shader mode from Automatic to Force ANGLE2 renderer (see below), and they could then play it.

you can switch the shader/render mode when you hit shift + g, turn powersaving on/off, as well as limiting the fps, so that might help.
@recreation Thanks for that tip. I changed the Renderer from Automatic to Force ANGLE2 Renderer and the game is now playable. I will have to try this with the other games.
All the best

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Robwood HunkyDunx
Renpy games can run on different renderers, and older PC's can't play the newer ones.

Try extracting This and put the file in the /game folder of whatever games don't work. It'll automatically switch off the GL2 renderer, which is what is causing the games to not play for you.

I had the same issue a while back since the PC I play these games on is a 100 dollar refurbished Wal-Mart PC I got a decade ago. If this hunk of junk can play games, pretty much anything can.

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
thank you for creating this wonderful virtual novel. I can empathize highly with the sister, since something very similar happened in my life. It's funny in a way how sometimes life never let's you want to forget some things, this game brought it all back to me clearly, but having learned to cope with certain situations, I experienced no trauma playing this game.

Some people may think that certain situations may seem completely ludicrous or made up, and while this story is made up, the way the sister had to deal with her issues (I don't mean jumping her brother), her silence, not wanting to speak, no one understanding anything I had to go through thanks to circumstances beyond my control as a child..well, what the writer has written here in this story, is well written to the point it brought certain unwelcome memories back as I said before, but knowing how to deal with them and how to cope. While people do seek mental health help, many don't and they try to cope alone, which in many ways can cause such trauma that it can never be fully treated, especially when that person is a child, it can scar them for life, and may alter their behavior in a permanent way thanks to their trauma, and can and often does include some form of incoherent speech throughout the sufferer's life. While this is only a game, if you do feel like you need help, feel no shame in getting it, don't suffer unnecessarily. Thanks again to the developer!

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
We should rename the thread to "How old is your computer, and which windows was the worst" :ROFLMAO:

Regarding old computers: shift + G opens the performance screen, there you can change the render mode which often helps.
well mods will clean thread soon.

shift+g helps if can get game to start but that doesn't happen if a has wrong bit os and b has non-supported os by renpy.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
:ROFLMAO:

But, I think it's cool that when someone has an issue, others players try to help them.
recreation maybe you could put some of theses advises on the front page of this thread?
If I put it somewhere in the OP where it's visible on first sight, it will get removed, or put in a spoiler nobody ever clicks on anyway, so it wouldn't change anything.

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
well mods will clean thread soon.

shift+g helps if can get game to start but that doesn't happen if a has wrong bit os and b has non-supported os by renpy.
Hold the Shift key down and start the game, same effect as shift+g. At least on Windows. Good luck! (y)

4.40 star(s) 202 Votes