Mod Ren'Py Being a DIK [S1/S2 v0.8.3 & S3 v0.10.1] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.80 star(s) 12 Votes
Jan 4, 2019
So here I was, working on my first walkthrough mod and trying to “reverse engineer” some of them to get a feel for how everyone goes about it, and when checking this one, the first thing you see is basically:

MOTHERFUCKER I WILL SKIN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALIVE IF YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT STEALING MY CODE

Okayyyyyyyyyyy, imma go find someplace to hide now :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Night Hacker

Elduriel

Engaged Member
Donor
Mar 28, 2021
considering it's been done in the past, it's not a huge surprise... by a game dev none the less

Jan 4, 2019
considering it's been done in the past, it's not a huge surprise... by a game dev none the less
I mean, I'd be pretty pissed too if I spent who knows how many hours working on something for free, only for some random dude to just copy/paste what I did and claim it his own. But is there a specific story you're referring to?

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
So here I was, working on my first walkthrough mod and trying to “reverse engineer” some of them to get a feel for how everyone goes about it, and when checking this one, the first thing you see is basically:

MOTHERFUCKER I WILL SKIN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ALIVE IF YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT STEALING MY CODE

Okayyyyyyyyyyy, imma go find someplace to hide now :ROFLMAO:
LMAO, yeah, I wasn't peeking at his code, but I was doing my normal thing, using dev mode to check out which variables were used and their values and I noticed a few extra variables added which had some similar text values. I just chuckled as I remember how Sancho obfuscates his code a lot due to rotten people stealing it and not programming their own, but ripping him off and releasing it as their own. NOT kewl. I always program my own stuff. Been programming since around 1979. ;)

KiwamiLorenzo

Formerly 'PabloLorenzo'
Oct 10, 2017
So... which mod you people consider the best for BaDIK, this or scrappy's? I've been using scrappy's so far but wanted to know if this is better than his.

FjPji

Sep 6, 2022
So... which mod you people consider the best for BaDIK, this or scrappy's? I've been using scrappy's so far but wanted to know if this is better than his.
If you ask here, the responses will of course be biased. Either way, I tried both and prefer Sancho's.
At this point, when I start a new game, I always look to see if he has a mod for it.

Last edited:

KiwamiLorenzo

Formerly 'PabloLorenzo'
Oct 10, 2017
If you ask here, the responses will of course be biased. Either way, I tried both and prefer Sancho's.
At this point, when I start a new game, I always look to see if he has a mod for it.
Yeah, I imagined it would be biased, but thought it was worth it even still. Decided to try Sancho's and been having a blast.

Reactions: pitao and FjPji

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
My Man Momoa.gif
Yeah, I imagined it would be biased, but thought it was worth it even still. Decided to try Sancho's and been having a blast.
Scrappy's usually put you on one path (I imagine at least two with this game?), with little explanation. Sancho gives you full knowledge of what decisions you're making and what happens when you make them (as far as has been developed at least). I like the comprehensive look I get with SanchoMods, but if you just want to be told what to do, they may not be for you.

KiwamiLorenzo

Formerly 'PabloLorenzo'
Oct 10, 2017
View attachment 3639326

Scrappy's usually put you on one path (I imagine at least two with this game?), with little explanation. Sancho gives you full knowledge of what decisions you're making and what happens when you make them (as far as has been developed at least). I like the comprehensive look I get with SanchoMods, but if you just want to be told what to do, they may not be for you.
With VNs like BaDIK and Broken Dreamers I tend to use walkthrough mods alongside pdf walkthroughts as I play them, so think it won't be problem. Also, I have used Sancho mods in other games in the past, would've used in BaDIK but surprisingly I only found out Sancho also did a mod for this game recently.

Reactions: pitao

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
With VNs like BaDIK and Broken Dreamers I tend to use walkthrough mods alongside pdf walkthroughts as I play them, so think it won't be problem. Also, I have used Sancho mods in other games in the past, would've used in BaDIK but surprisingly I only found out Sancho also did a mod for this game recently.
(y) *This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

pitao

May 18, 2023
Same here, usually I have the tendency to use any tool I have for my games (mods/pdfWT), basically because I'm a perfectionist and I dislike to use too many saves/playthroughs to see all/almost all content, if I can I make only 1 playthrough (not possible with BaDIK if want to see all content but mods help) from start to end and much later I might revisit the game and do again from start to finish. Sancho mods are awesome in that aspect, besides that Sancho (almost?) always have a tool, the save fixer in every game mod, in case I don't want to use the mod (doubt it happen) or in case Sancho delays a bit an update of a mod and I still want to play the update of the game.

Same as you, I didn't knew until February(?) this year that Sancho had a mod for this and Eternum, just playing updates of other games I also play and then I will play both games with the epic Sancho mods hehe

ChimmyChonga

Dec 26, 2017
Hi,
I'm somewhat new to this. I'm receiving this error when launching the season 1-2 version of the game with mod installed. I'm using the Windows version of the game through Ren'Py launcher on an M1 Mac. The season 3 version of the game launches just fine with the mod installed. Any help what this means?

Thanks

```
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/SanchoMod/SanchoMod BaDIK 083.rpy", line 6218: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 16-18: truncated \xXX escape
smgl01 ="\x73\x6d\x72\x30\x3"

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Thu May 16 12:31:47 2024
```

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Hi,
I'm somewhat new to this. I'm receiving this error when launching the season 1-2 version of the game with mod installed. I'm using the Windows version of the game through Ren'Py launcher on an M1 Mac. The season 3 version of the game launches just fine with the mod installed. Any help what this means?

Thanks

```
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/SanchoMod/SanchoMod BaDIK 083.rpy", line 6218: (unicode error) 'unicodeescape' codec can't decode bytes in position 16-18: truncated \xXX escape
smgl01 ="\x73\x6d\x72\x30\x3"

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.2.1.24030407
Thu May 16 12:31:47 2024
```
A few things here so I can answer:

That traceback says you are running RenPy v8.2.1

Neither Season is on that version. Both S1 and S2 run on v7.4.10, so what have you done?

ChimmyChonga

Dec 26, 2017
A few things here so I can answer:

That traceback says you are running RenPy v8.2.1

Neither Season is on that version. Both S1 and S2 run on v7.4.10, so what have you done?
That is the newest version of RenPy from their download page. I use that launcher to load Windows RenPy games on my Macbook. I am newish to this so if there's a better way I'm not aware. I used a Parallels Windows VM for a while but performance isn't the greatest.

Should I just find an older version of RenPy to see if that fixes it?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
That is the newest version of RenPy from their download page. I use that launcher to load Windows RenPy games on my Macbook. I am newish to this so if there's a better way I'm not aware. I used a Parallels Windows VM for a while but performance isn't the greatest.

Should I just find an older version of RenPy to see if that fixes it?
I would highly suggest you ALWAYS run on the RenPy version any specific VN is based on... it's damn near vital due to how RenPy works at it's core. Try this for me please:
  1. Go to the RenPy site and at that DL page you reference find "complete list of releases" at the very bottom of that page and click on it.
  2. Find Rv7.4.10 (it's # 138) and DL that.
  3. Use that version of RenPy and test again.
If you hit a stumble ping me back and I'll make you a one-file fix for R8 but I can't guarantee you won't run into other issues... R8 is much more different than R7.

Reactions: ChimmyChonga

ChimmyChonga

Dec 26, 2017
I would highly suggest you ALWAYS run on the RenPy version any specific VN is based on... it's damn near vital due to how RenPy works at it's core. Try this for me please:
  1. Go to the RenPy site and at that DL page you reference find "complete list of releases" at the very bottom of that page and click on it.
  2. Find Rv7.4.10 (it's # 138) and DL that.
  3. Use that version of RenPy and test again.
If you hit a stumble ping me back and I'll make you a one-file fix for R8 but I can't guarantee you won't run into other issues... R8 is much more different than R7.
Thank you! That did indeed fix it. For the future what's the easiest way to tell what version the game is on?

Thanks for all your awesome work?

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Thank you! That did indeed fix it. For the future what's the easiest way to tell what version the game is on?

Thanks for all your awesome work?
It's simple but is more than one step so it'll be exactly this way:
  1. After you DL and install a new Win-based VN on your Mac you MUST run the VN once and then quit. Do this however you wish but if you already have a virtual machine instance started then you likely know the most convenient way to do this. This MUST be done without assuming a RenPy Launcher... find another way. (otherwise you will get false info in the file generated in step 2)
  2. Once you perform step 1 above (remember to only start the VN then EXIT), view the VN's folder/directory. Inside you will find a new file called exactly "log.txt". Open that in a text viewer of your choice and it will tell you the version that was initiated, usually the third line of the text file.
That's it. Done.

ChimmyChonga

Dec 26, 2017
It's simple but is more than one step so it'll be exactly this way:
  1. After you DL and install a new Win-based VN on your Mac you MUST run the VN once and then quit. Do this however you wish but if you already have a virtual machine instance started then you likely know the most convenient way to do this. This MUST be done without assuming a RenPy Launcher... find another way. (otherwise you will get false info in the file generated in step 2)
  2. Once you perform step 1 above (remember to only start the VN then EXIT), view the VN's folder/directory. Inside you will find a new file called exactly "log.txt". Open that in a text viewer of your choice and it will tell you the version that was initiated, usually the third line of the text file.
That's it. Done.
Easy peazy, thanks again!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Easy peazy, thanks again!
Enjoy. You stumbled upon one of the best mods on the planet and the only one that customizes it's walkthrough in realtime according to your current playthrough (it's fully dynamic). It should serve you well. If not, feel free to ping me and I'll assist the best I can.

Regards.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Cyrix72 and GoWFO
Sep 13, 2020
Decided to star over and forgot I nuked my my being a dik folder so now whwn I try to get s1/2 there is no up to date one that is compressed and bandwidth friendly rn

4.80 star(s) 12 Votes