DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Probably the most reasonable part in the whole discussion. They don't know what they signed. The Jill's question and explanations are also a good clue, that it's probably not the proper "student loan" but a loan of the other type and nature used to pay for the tuition. And the "Finnman bank" is the one, that's probably gives loans and credits for Patrick's car dealership customers. Patrick used exactly this bank to get the loan for Maya & Derek. And MC reads all that from the papers in the binder. And what's more interesting - Helen's bills (which are paid) is in the same binder, for some reason. Coincidence?

I was expecting for more spicy and nasty options, tbh :WeSmart:
If it's a binder of loan paper work, it's not a coincidence it's just logic.

Briefly, let me explain why this loan storyline is so fucked up. Banking laws regulate who can borrow money. It differs slightly in each jurisdiction but simply put. you can borrow money if you prove that it's reasonable that you can pay it back. Governments do this to ensure that the banks don't go bust and ruin the economy. (that's the theory anyway).

Now let's look at Maya's loan. When you take a loan, it's paid to the primary borrower directly or to an institution designated in the loan agreement, like a college or someone you are buying a house from or etc. This part of the loan agreement is regulated, you can't just take out a loan to pay to your cousin Charlie because you like him. The bank would never grant such a loan because the government would be all over their ass if they did.

Now what kind of loan is Maya dealing with? We don't know yet but there are only so many scenario's for this.

Maya takes a loan to pay for college. This is a loan she would never get because she's not a qualified borrower, there's no reasonable expectation that she can pay it back. Now if Patrick, her Father who has a house, a car, a business co signs her loan then she would be paid her money directly or it would be paid to B & R, Patrick would never touch it. But if the loan defaulted, the bank would go after Maya's assets, see she had none, then turn to Patrick, the co signer to collect their debt. Good for Maya but it doesn't work for DPC or his story.

Patrick takes a loan to pay for Maya's college. This is a possible loan. Patrick has a house, a car, a business, it's reasonable that he can repay it. What's not reasonable is that Patrick could add Maya as a cosigner. Why? Because it's redundant, Patrick can pay back the loan. Because Maya is not a qualified borrower. And because the bank would never grant such a loan because the government would be all over their ass if they did.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: 7thOmen and dalli_x

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
If he found out Maya was with Josy again he could cancel the loan payments to the school, thinking that Maya would think she's in debt and could not take out more loans.

But as her credit score indicates - she's not in debt. So Patrick obviously didn't count on her checking into that.
Another loose end, does Maya even have a credit score? She's never held a job, she has no property or assets that we know of, how is it likely that she has a bank account or a credit card?

Darkwen

Forum Fanatic
Nov 10, 2020
Another loose end, does Maya even have a credit score? She's never held a job, she has no property or assets that we know of, how is it likely that she has a bank account or a credit card?
If Maya has some bills that she pays then she would but that seems unlikely

Heavy Flo

Formerly 'MayaBang'
Jan 17, 2024
question for people that frequent other dik forums/discords/etc:

I know people in here call jill a goblin and no one could even be bothered to post her poll pics until a couple of days passed. But, what do they think of her in other sites?
She's very popular to the point I've seen it argued more than once she's the only true romance or the canon one. Sage is by far the VNs most popular girl though as in it's not even close something about her drives people fucking crazy but Jill is probably second. There was a poll for sex scenes for last episode and I think her sex scene came second for example. I have a shit memory though.

I love Maya and Josy so I was like YAY this place loves Josy at first but then realized all the Josy love was coming from the same handful of people :ROFLMAO:. I was told waifu wars drove off a lot of the fans of other girls. F95 is a little weird tbh it's probably the hardest place to get a feel for what girl is popular because there's so much shitposting and mega simping.

Reactions: lobotomist

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
You have a credit score even if you're young just starting out - it won't be a great one but you'll have one - and in the U.S. young college students can get college loans backed by the government - so they don't need high credit scores to get them.

Reactions: dalli_x and Kpyna

noahsombrero

Aug 9, 2023
You have a credit score even if you're young just starting out - it won't be a great one but you'll have one - and in the U.S. young college students can get college loans backed by the government - so they don't need high credit scores to get them.
Probably you won't have one unless somebody is reporting on you, like utility bills, etc. Or if you apply for credit. True it will not be worth much. Government backs student loans applied for through your school. Not bank loans or other kinds. It is also true that some lenders, like credit card companies will fold themselves in half to give a college student a credit card. Boom, you have a credit score. In the US. Sweden might be similar.

In fact, it might be that Sweden does not have a government insured student loan program. Or it might even be that tuitions are not so ridiculously high there, or maybe even free. So, dpc might be thinking in terms of that, and then allowing for what he knows of US differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavDR

Kpyna

Dec 16, 2022
If it's a binder of loan paper work, it's not a coincidence it's just logic.

Briefly, let me explain why this loan storyline is so fucked up. Banking laws regulate who can borrow money. It differs slightly in each jurisdiction but simply put. you can borrow money if you prove that it's reasonable that you can pay it back. Governments do this to ensure that the banks don't go bust and ruin the economy. (that's the theory anyway).

Now let's look at Maya's loan. When you take a loan, it's paid to the primary borrower directly or to an institution designated in the loan agreement, like a college or someone you are buying a house from or etc. This part of the loan agreement is regulated, you can't just take out a loan to pay to your cousin Charlie because you like him. The bank would never grant such a loan because the government would be all over their ass if they did.

Now what kind of loan is Maya dealing with? We don't know yet but there are only so many scenario's for this.

Maya takes a loan to pay for college. This is a loan she would never get because she's not a qualified borrower, there's no reasonable expectation that she can pay it back. Now if Patrick, her Father who has a house, a car, a business co signs her loan then she would be paid her money directly or it would be paid to B & R, Patrick would never touch it. But if the loan defaulted, the bank would go after Maya's assets, see she had none, then turn to Patrick, the co signer to collect their debt. Good for Maya but it doesn't work for DPC or his story.

Patrick takes a loan to pay for Maya's college. This is a possible loan. Patrick has a house, a car, a business, it's reasonable that he can repay it. What's not reasonable is that Patrick could add Maya as a cosigner. Why? Because it's redundant, Patrick can pay back the loan. Because Maya is not a qualified borrower. And because the bank would never grant such a loan because the government would be all over their ass if they did.
Uh... I think the differences between countries realities, regulations, laws and bank behaviours are much more than you expect or assume. And I think you idealize banks and regulators too much and exaggerate their omnipotence or desire to "protect" the borrower or, as you said, the "country's economy" in general.

A loan to a borrower for banks works conversely like a deposit. In advanced countries, deposits have a ridiculous or practically zero percentage of income, encouraging people to invest money in the economy rather than putting it in banks. And developing countries are a completely different matter. The interest rates can be very high, but they usually barely cover inflation. This is offtopic, since the game part takes places somewhere in the USA, but all this still have an actual grounds even in the USA.

I cannot say or compare anything, because I have not live or visited the USA. If everything is so good and strict with the issuance of loans, as you described it, that let's say an 18-year-old will not be able to get a credit card and so on, then why is there are so much homeless people? Banks is a banks. They want to make money even if borrower is awful. They always find ways to fuck the person if he failed to repay.

MC is not a better candidate than Maya for getting loan, but in EP1 he says this:

mc "I can't accept this. I'll take a student loan and will find a way to earn some extra pocket money."

He is not working officially, has no confirmed income and pocket money making intended to live and survive as independent person and live his life in college, but it's not suitable for paying the loan he took. And... as we know Neil is not a person who can become a co-signer. House and the property of MC and Neil are not quite enough to cover something.

If you can explain me how come MC was able to get the loan being literally poor, while you think that Maya could not do that being in the same position, at worst, I would greatly appreciate it.

According to what you said and assumed, I think that Maya got it all right. Dad told her that he is taking the loan and she will become a co-signer, but he fucked her up (and Derek too) and made it so, that's it's Maya, who got the loan, while Patrick became a co-signer for her. Maya doesn't have property or any income and she is his daughter... she can't become a co-signer for him. Co-signer is a backup option for banks to take their money and shit back if the person who got the loan can't repay it anymore. Even im my shitty country years ago, when I was a co-signer for my sister loan, we had almost the same income, but the bank checked me, my documents, various certificates and statements several times more thoroughly than hers. At the moment (in my country)... a lot of people grab credit cards, live on them in debt and then take another card from another bank to repay the previous loan. Most of the time the only property they have is their apartments or houses in the suburbs. Their income is not covering expenses for a long time and all these percentages and other things only make the situation worse. But banks are not particularly worried, because if they throw a person out on the street and sell his apartment or house, they beat off everything and still stay with the profit.

And back to the game universe... Finnman bank was chosed on purpose. It's an additional clue of how and why he got this loan and why it was approved so easily, taking in mind some obstacles here and there. What do I mean? Often business and organizations cooperate with a certain bank. This often means preferential loans, much simpler registration of banking products (including credit cards) and a bunch of different bonuses for employees of the organization from a particular bank. Patrick's car dealership works with Finnman Bank. He could have taken this loan from any other bank, but no, he chose the bank with which his car dealership works.

In any case, any further reasoning will not be of much use, because it is impossible to get into the head of a DPC. References to real life and how and what works or doesn't work can help narrow down the number of versions and theories, but they can hardly help to understand how things are in the world of the game and what its author intended. It's exciting as the camera which Derek find at the end of EP9 and seems to become the very first matter in EP11.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalli_x and Porthas

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
Ugh, that scene is so cringe. That's a perfect opportunity to "cheat" and DPC takes away that player agency and forces MC to make that face. Now, if player were given a choice to react that way, fine.

So yeah, this is one of those places I think the game kinda fails. I like the game a lot, but it definitely isn't perfect.

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
mc "I can't accept this. I'll take a student loan and will find a way to earn some extra pocket money."

He is not working officially, has no confirmed income and pocket money making intended to live and survive as independent person and live his life in college, but it's not suitable for paying the loan he took. And... as we know Neil is not a person who can become a co-signer. House and the property of MC and Neil are not quite enough to cover something.
Agreed, this follows with the story being set in the U.S., where students can get eyeballs-deep in debt for college because the Fed helps them get loans for school.

Reactions: Kpyna

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
Ugh, that scene is so cringe. That's a perfect opportunity to "cheat" and DPC takes away that player agency and forces MC to make that face. Now, if player were given a choice to react that way, fine.

So yeah, this is one of those places I think the game kinda fails. I like the game a lot, but it definitely isn't perfect.
It’s a pity that the DPC didn’t give any choice in this scene. In a similar scene with Maya, MC remains in control of the situation and has a choice whether to touch Maya's leg or not.
All I wanted to do at my Sage brunch was get out of there.

Reactions: Porthas

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020

it's also the whole idea of these Cheat points, or whatever we want to call them, that doesn't make much sense.

there's a temptation but there's no point in falling for it because you can't go all the way through.

what's the point of going to Cathy's house if we're then FORCED to back out? at that point I'm not going....

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
it's also the whole idea of these Cheat points, or whatever we want to call them, that doesn't make much sense.

there's a temptation but there's no point in falling for it because you can't go all the way through.

what's the point of going to Cathy's house if we're then FORCED to back out? at that point I'm not going....
Huh I didn't know about the Cathy thing since I don't have a playthrough yet where I go over there. But yeah, some romance paths are gated a bit too hard and that's a shame.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Huh I didn't know about the Cathy thing since I don't have a playthrough yet where I go over there. But yeah, some romance paths are gated a bit too hard and that's a shame.
you can also take as an example all during the Halloween party
removed a few scenes (the one with Heather, hopefully the one with Bianca) that are supposed to have positive or negative consequences, the others are very stupid temptations that lead to nothing.
why should I touch Sara and Melanie's ass if nothing can come of it?

4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes