Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Everything I posted was a theory, for fun, on a discussion forum.

It's you who countered with a "no you're wrong I'm right" based on a single line of dialogue.

To which I responded with I'm going to laugh at you people being wrong, because watching egos deflate is entertaining.

But sure, keep projecting.
Theories deal in speculative guesses based on reasonable likelihood and evidence presented.

You are dealing in definitives based on pure supposition, like your definitive declaration that Lynette is alive based on nothing.

There is someone with an ego here, but it's not any of the people pushing back against your wild claims.

Last update 4 month ago, so I assume its going to be 2 update a year from now?
Yes. Dev time is now about 5 months per update.

Jan 26, 2021
On the subject of hair. Which hairstyle/color suits Sage the best:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I think she looks HOTter with it down, but can't decide between her natural red or the vibrant red of her past.
Current Sage with hair up is the best in my opinion.
But the last pic is breathtaking.
I'm wondering if in the endgame with Sage we will get a scene with her asking why Derek call MC Assman :KEK:

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
but if Quinn and Mc got high on cocaine, it would be disgraceful from a moral point of view, but what change would it bring? practically none compared to the joint on the roof, we can't talk about addiction at the first round, but then for how poor MC is he can't even afford it, and maybe even Quinn can't afford to use it for recreational purposes....
The cocaine has something to do with Quinn personally, either because of her Father or because she had her own problems with the drug in the past. Look at the scene where she orders it from Buddy, he's shocked that she would even ask for it.

godkingxerxes

Sep 27, 2020
Theories deal in speculative guesses based on reasonable likelihood and evidence presented.

You are dealing in definitives based on pure supposition, like your definitive declaration that Lynette is alive based on nothing.

There is someone with an ego here, but it's not any of the people pushing back against your wild claims.
You're walking around saying bearded man is 100% without any doubt is Sage's father. I present other options, possibly Jill's or just anybody but Sage's father. And it's attacked. So of course I double down, how else can one carry on a theory discussion when other people attack and say one is wrong when it's all speculation. At this point I'm not right, and you aren't right, and neither of us will be right, for at least a couple more years.

Lynette is all in fun. I'm rewatching Chuck, seeing how he lost his dad before finding his mother makes me think how that can work in this story. It's a fun theory that hurts nobody.

I have no ego here, I'm here for fun discussion, but other people don't want that.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Current Sage with hair up is the best in my opinion.
But the last pic is breathtaking.
I'm wondering if in the endgame with Sage we will get a scene with her asking why Derek call MC Assman :KEK:
It's funny how Derek's "assman" has permeated the college.

Even fucking Quinn knows about it.
But then, Derek is far from subtle. Gender studies of all places...

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
The cocaine has something to do with Quinn personally, either because of her Father or because she had her own problems with the drug in the past. Look at the scene where she orders it from Buddy, he's shocked that she would even ask for it.
Definitely:

Buddy: "So? The same as usual this time?"​
Quinn: "Yeah...and..."​
Quinn: "...add some coke."​
Buddy: "Coke? You?"​
Quinn: "Can you?"​
Buddy: "No problem on my end. I'll tell Mick to add it to the drop-off."​
Quinn: "Not too much. An 8 ball is enough."​
Buddy: "Works for me."​
Buddy: "But I gotta ask... Why now?"​
Quinn: "A customer wants it."​
Buddy: "That's not what I meant."​
Quinn: "That's the answer that concerns you."​

Her hesitance in asking for it means she knows Buddy will react, and his response, almost disbelief. I reckon her dad died from an OD. I doubt he went to jail over it, otherwise it's unlikely they'd still be operating from the same location.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020

I think she looks HOTter with it down, but can't decide between her natural red or the vibrant red of her past.
Hair down, natural red, obviously.

Reactions: shazba

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
There's no explicit proof to the player... The dad was there, he would have seen her burial or cremation. He's not gonna forget or confuse something like that... But yes, we don't see that scene.

There's literally no evidence or even the slightest indication that the dad is a liar. He's a very genuine, good dad who raised his son to have good morals.

Is there a possibility that the dad is hiding the truth? Sure. Is there the possibility that the dad is actually an alien and has been grooming the mc to save the universe? Sure. Are any of these indicated so far in the game? Absolutely not.

So yes, any random theory that has no basis from within the game can be stated, but just because it can't be refuted with proof, doesn't make it a good theory...

So:
  • The dad lying about the MC's mom's death is not based on any evidence in the game whatsoever. It's not a good theory.
  • The dad being an alien and grooming the mc to save the universe is not based on any evidence in the game whatsoever. It's not a good theory.

The dad isn't an unreliable narrator. He's not even a narrator.

The mc's quote regarding the dad's (un)reliability is as follows:

"My mother died shortly after giving birth to me."​
"It's a shame that I never got to meet her."​
"I would have loved hearing stories from her past and truly getting to know her."​
"Sure, my dad told me stories growing up...but his memory sucked."​
"He would always forget the punchline. Not surprising, since he would talk so long before reaching the point where the punchline was supposed to be."​

The only example we get of this is as follows:

Neil: "But your mom, stubborn as a mule, didn't give up that easily."​
Neil: "It took her three days to run away from home and track me down."​
Neil: "No...wait...five days?"​
Neil: "Hm...maybe it was something along the lines of a week?"​
mc: "Are you seriously asking me that?"​
Neil: "No, well, it was something like that."​
Neil: "Either way...where was I?"​
Neil: "Oh yeah!"​
Neil: "She didn't want her dad's life or his money..."​

So he rambles a bit, loses the point a bit, and inconsequential details like how many weeks between him leaving and Lynette coming to find him are not crystal clear. In no way does that make the core of his stories unreliable, or does it set him up to be a liar. What, he just forgot that Lynette didn't die?

When the mc says the dad's memory sucked, he then followed it up with an example ("forget the punchline", "talk so long before reaching the point"). It doesn't give the impression his dad has Alzheimers...

Neil: "Your mom was a very beautiful woman. I was 24 and she had just turned 18."​
While I agree with your overall premise, I do think Neil is shown to be a somewhat unreliable narrator: both the MC's intro and Neil's inability to settle on small details when recounting Lynette's story at the start of the game show this.

But not all unreliable narrators are created equal. Neil is also shown - numerous times - to care about the MC, and the MC clearly loves him. On top of that, everything we've learned since Neil's initial story has validated the main points of his narrative: the MC's mother ran away from her rich family to be with Neil, but died yeas ago.

So my take on Neil is that he means well and is being forthright in everything he tells the MC, but he's a bit disorganized and thus his story might have more errors in it than usual (even for a 20 year old recollection). I don't think we should consider any of the details confirmed (without further evidence): things like Lynette's age, the exact timeline of her departure, or even how he first caught her attention could be different that we expect. It would not surprise me to learn, for example, that Lynette's decision to run away from home was a lot more complicated than Neil suggested.

But as you say, those are the less consequential details of his story, and I do think we can rely on the major points: Lynette did give up her family to be with Neil, and she did die giving birth to the MC. So I would say we should take anything Neil says with a grain of salt, but shouldn't dismiss it without actual contradictory evidence.

YMMV, but I think Sage looks so much better with her hair up I sometimes need to remind myself she's the same character back in Episode 1. It's no contest.

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020
Definitely:

Buddy: "So? The same as usual this time?"​
Quinn: "Yeah...and..."​
Quinn: "...add some coke."​
Buddy: "Coke? You?"​
Quinn: "Can you?"​
Buddy: "No problem on my end. I'll tell Mick to add it to the drop-off."​
Quinn: "Not too much. An 8 ball is enough."​
Buddy: "Works for me."​
Buddy: "But I gotta ask... Why now?"​
Quinn: "A customer wants it."​
Buddy: "That's not what I meant."​
Quinn: "That's the answer that concerns you."​

Her hesitance in asking for it means she knows Buddy will react, and his response, almost disbelief. I reckon her dad died from an OD. I doubt he went to jail over it, otherwise it's unlikely they'd still be operating from the same location.
Agreed. Between smoking, drinking & cocaine, dude wasn't gonna live long.

• Sad
Reactions: shazba

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
I don't understand why so many people here has made a only Jill playthrough. It is not like she is an overprotective bitch who fuck up every girl her BF meets. She herself said that she doesn't mind MC dating others(until they become commited of course). Unless MC have anything with Bella you are fine.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason why I have a jill only playthru set aside is due to a factor I touched upon before, story themes around individual girls you interact with.
And Jill's story theme lends itself to a definitely singular romance, rotating around the age old story of people from worlds apart coming together. It's not a modern age story with like Sage, it requires a more classical approach.

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
Its definitely going to be problems for someone, especially Quinns reaction to being stuck holding it. Its a pretty safe bet that its going to be used to fuck someone over or more likely create a problem for Quinn. past addiction, getting busted holding, or making a deal only to find out its gone (most likely the third considering thats becoming a theme) not a very good dealer if you keep using and loosing product, plus the fact that it seems she's in competition with vinny
I still think that Chekhov's 8ball is gonna be Riona's end.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
While I agree with your overall premise, I do think Neil is shown to be a somewhat unreliable narrator: both the MC's intro and Neil's inability to settle on small details when recounting Lynette's story at the start of the game show this.

But not all unreliable narrators are created equal. Neil is also shown - numerous times - to care about the MC, and the MC clearly loves him. On top of that, everything we've learned since Neil's initial story has validated the main points of his narrative: the MC's mother ran away from her rich family to be with Neil, but died yeas ago.

So my take on Neil is that he means well and is being forthright in everything he tells the MC, but he's a bit disorganized and thus his story might have more errors in it than usual (even for a 20 year old recollection). I don't think we should consider any of the details confirmed (without further evidence): things like Lynette's age, the exact timeline of her departure, or even how he first caught her attention could be different that we expect. It would not surprise me to learn, for example, that Lynette's decision to run away from home was a lot more complicated than Neil suggested.

But as you say, those are the less consequential details of his story, and I do think we can rely on the major points: Lynette did give up her family to be with Neil, and she did die giving birth to the MC. So I would say we should take anything Neil says with a grain of salt, but shouldn't dismiss it without actual contradictory evidence.

YMMV, but I think Sage looks so much better with her hair up I sometimes need to remind myself she's the same character back in Episode 1. It's no contest.
I pretty much agree with everything there, but I can't cope with the label "Unreliable Narrator". You may call him an unreliable witness, but not narrator. The MC is the narrator. An unreliable narrator is a very different kettle of fish to an unreliable witness.

When a narrator says things, we take it as fact. The instant they are caught in a falsehood we suddenly have cause to distrust everything they've said because they have a motive for misleading us. Fucking "Life of Pi" anyone? A witness is going to be considered less omniscient (even if the narrator is not omniscient, we typically trust them until proven otherwise).

That said, I do believe Neil is getting some minor details wrong. He said he met Lynette when she'd just turned 18. In her diary (the one she got for her 18th birthday) she's running away to stay with friends. No mention of Neil, so maybe she only just met him or hasn't met his yet, but the two events overlapping (Neil meeting her and falling in love, with her running away because she doesn't want to leave her friends - but no mention of Neil among the friends she lists) is a little confusing.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes