lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
One thing, is it known why Quinn sells drugs? I don't remember seeing it in the story and I think it's not for a stupid reason.

edit: or obvious reasons
family-business-keep-it-in-the-family.gif

Ever since day one of this project, I've wanted to create the Halloween episode, and I'm euphoric right now as I'm doing it. I've been going over my old notes for the episode, laughing at jokes I forgot that I wrote years ago, and smiling at events that I know will be in the episode. I'm looking forward to making this episode as grand as I've pictured it.
jack-nicholson-jack.gif

My goal in that episode is to fuck Maya, Josy, Zoey, Nicole, Lily, Riona, Camila
My goal is make the biggest walk of shame of B&R history (And tell Maya, Josy and Nicole that i love them with all my heart).

Jan 12, 2019

Post-release status
The release went smoothly, so I've been able to work on episode 9 this week. I will release any changes to the Interlude in the form of bug fixes and typos together with episode 9 (v0.9.0). I will release the walkthrough for the Interlude later this month.

It should come as no surprise that the development of episode 9 will take more time than the Interlude. It's going to be a full-fledged episode, and I'm unsure about the size of it.

As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to limit the episode size a tad, and I chose the episode I've been looking forward to a lot to do it with - which is a challenge.

Ever since day one of this project, I've wanted to create the Halloween episode, and I'm euphoric right now as I'm doing it. I've been going over my old notes for the episode, laughing at jokes I forgot that I wrote years ago, and smiling at events that I know will be in the episode. I'm looking forward to making this episode as grand as I've pictured it.

There are two distinct and quite lengthy areas to discuss to bring you up to speed on the progress so far. One is regarding development that is just about episode 9, and the other is about development that goes far beyond episode 9 but needs to start now.

To avoid making this post too long, I've decided to split this topic in half, talk about the first half today, and leave the second half for next week's post. Today, I'm going to talk about the episode 9 development only.

Episode 9 development
After episode 8, we've ended up with some major branches, as you can tell.

Branching is always something I enjoy creating, and it's among the trickier things to accomplish with this type of game. Everything needs to make sense, no matter which branch you're playing, and to make it interesting; the branches need to be different and show how choice can matter.

For every render, animation, line of code, and piece of content you put in a branch, you take away from the perceived episode length for all other branches. To get the feeling that you're playing a long episode, you need to put in much more effort than when you create something more linear, e.g., the Interlude.

When I started episode 9 development, the first thing I did was write the shell for it. I know how to start the episode, I know how to end the episode, and I've mapped out many key events in between.

After that, I add more and more events along the way while constantly balancing the content put into the branches I've created. For instance, Sage's branch must get approximately the same amount of unique scenes and content as Isabella or any other branch. Striving for this balance gives the best experience for every player.

After the episode shell is made, I plan the lewd events and parts of the needed animations. I need to stay efficient, so I often start working on animations early. That ensures that I utilize my PCs to the max.

As soon as animations are rendering, I start writing the episode. I start posing static renders and preparing characters for different scenes if I need a break.

That is the basic start-up flow of development for me and just about the current progress.

I've posed two animations over 1 minute long each during these last weeks. It's unfair to call them two animations because they collectively consist of 26 animations. Not only that, they have already been rendered and put in the game and synchronized to new music. I can confidently say that I've never been more proud of any animation work than both of these animations. When playing, they give a cinematic feeling, and I can't wait to show you what they are.

I've almost finished posing animations for the first lewd scene of the episode. For those who wished for more lewd scenes in the Interlude, you'll be happy to know that there will be plenty of it in episode 9. It's been tough limiting the plans in this area, but I had to draw a line somewhere.

Aside from writing and posing animations, I've been preparing close to 50-60 characters for the episode. There will be some cosmetic polls in the future, but sadly most of the Halloween costumes are planned, so I won't be able to give you the freedom to choose Halloween costumes for many girls, or it would mess up my writing and the episode story.

I've prepared the environments for the first free-roam and even rendered and processed them. Free-roams usually take the most time to create out of everything, so it feels extra good that there's a chunk of progress made here already.

I've also worked on mini-games, and this is where I will stop the status update today and leave it to be discussed in next week's post.

The progress in numbers is roughly 200 static renders and 8 animations. Moreover, I've written more dialogue and code than the Interlude has already.

My goals in the near future are to continue posing animations and writing. I want to post previews and polls for episode 9 as well.

The full-time development on episode 9 has officially started.
Man... I'm excited as hell. Can't wait.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
So don't wait !
I'm not! Already playing ep9, great story! Sage breaking down that door with an axe was slightly scary, but nothing too serious.
Burke and Jade started having words halfway our meeting resulting in a foodfight with as biggest victim poor Tybalt getting hit by a watermelon, Josy and Maya fled the scene and MC needed to calm down Sage (well, she had an axe afterall...)
Ah well, next we need to swap the Jocks steroids with estriadol before that competition so no time for hanging around here!

mpa71

Dec 18, 2017
:coffee: Updated BigTable™ with the recent informations.
TheWaitBegin!

• The Interlude had the same development time and animation duration as Episode 3.
  • I added animations duration in the table to better see the work done as DPC tend to assemble them now.
    • The Interlude had 52 animations into 36.
  • DPC pumping some early interesting rendering ratio. Note that he started to work on it before EPI release.
  • Release projection: Early September 2022 (25 weeks) — Mid October 2022 (30 weeks)
    • An Halloween release would be surprising cause it would explose the development time to 33 weeks.

EPRendersAnimationsMusic*SizeReleaseDevelopment TimeRatio*R/DA/D
EP1130151 (3:29)≈1.1 GB07 Feb 2019— days
EP21709 (+31%)77 (3:36) (+26)≈2.3 GB (+1.2 GB)04 May 2019087 (2 months, 28 days |≈12 weeks)20.519.60.89
EP32289 (+34%)99 (4:42) (+22)≈4.1 GB (+1.8 GB)16 Aug 2019105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)22.521.80.95
EP42532 (+11%)134 (7:57) (+35)≈6.1 GB (+2.0 GB)10 Jan 2020148 (4 months, 26 days |≈21 weeks)18.017.10.91
EP52456 (-3%)157 (8:35) (+23)17 (3.4K$)≈8.0 GB (+1.9 GB)29 May 2020141 (4 months, 20 days |≈20 weeks)18.517.41.11
EP63336 (+35%)162 (8:33) (+5)24 (4.8K$)≈11.1 GB (+3.1 GB)13 Nov 2020169 (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)20.719.70.96
EP73723 (+12%)250 (18:14) (+88)18 (3.6K$)≈14.5 GB (+3.4 GB)23 Apr 2021162 (5 months, 11 days |≈23 weeks)24.523.01.54
EP84158 (+12%)358 (26:21) (+108)34 (6.8K$)≈19.5 GB (+5.0 GB)19 Nov 2021211 (6 months, 28 days |≈30 weeks)21.419.71.70
EPI79436 (4:36)19 (3.8K$)≈2.6 GB (new .exe)4 March 2022105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)7.97.50.34
EP9≈200≈8in development007 (1 week)29.728.61.14
Complete Table with the help of Holy Bacchus† previous post. — Being a DIK in development since 3 years, 1 month, 4 days (37 months / 161 weeks / 1,128 days / 27,072 hours)
* 199$ Premium Licensed Music — Ratio: (Renders+Animations)/Development Time [Average: 20.9] — Renders/Days [Average: 19.8] — Animations/Days [Average: 1.15] — EP7+ New HW

(y) Thumb up to well made Casiope DIK Walkthrough.

Last edited:

Heycock

Jun 30, 2020
As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to limit the episode size a tad, and I chose the episode I've been looking forward to a lot to do it with - which is a challenge.
Yeap, this is an issue. What we want? To have an episode, wich seems is going to be special, bigger but later, or sooner but smaller. Since it's Halloween i would choose to be bigger, but it's a hard call. Seems he is in the same place, divided beetween to contradictory goals. I bet he is eventually going to lean towards the bigger.

I'm looking forward to making this episode as grand as I've pictured it.
And here we are, he claim he want it faster but inmediately goes back to bigger.
Personally i would prefer to have smaller but more sex scenes. Like the scenes at the first episodes, some of wich had 5-10 animations, instead of the currentely 20-40. As long as every small scene had its own personality the result for me will be better. And for thoose who are obssesed with one particular girl, more scenes doesnt mean you can't have multiple scenes with one girl to balance content.

laughing at jokes I forgot that I wrote years ago,
Such a classic.

and the other is about development that goes far beyond episode 9 but needs to start now.
This is interesting. Does he thinks he need to start writing towards the end? Or maybe he thinks he needs to start working on the endings to present them at once when the game end? Anyway we will have a closer idea later.

For instance, Sage's branch must get approximately the same amount of unique scenes and content as Isabella or any other branch.
Although it has some sense I am not fully sure I agree with this. Sure it's dissapointing that your favorite girl dont get her scene, but i enjoy episodes having some personality and some surprises. Like an episode focused on Sage, then another focused on Bella and so on. Instead of a mechanical, romantic moment with Sage, now fuck Sage, now go for another path, romantic moment with Bella, now fuck Bella. In terms of story it has more sense the first. But yeah, every fandom has it's own power.
Anyway the long and painfull wait starts now.

D2M3

Jan 20, 2018
Oh my, that was unexpected! We not only learn Episode 9 will contain the much anticipated Halloween party, we also get a full render count! I'm forced to forgive DPC for any Interlude related sins now. Well played, sir.

At any rate, DPC has completed 200 static renders and 8 animations and it's been a week since the Interlude was released. By convention, that gives him a rate of 200 statics and 8 animations per week; obviously we know DPC has been working on them longer than that, but we don't know the details and those numbers are actually not too far out of line with one of DPC's productive weeks, so I'll leave it this way for simplicity. Let's chart 'em!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hard to say much from one data point, but at least we're underway. Obviously the size of Episode 9 is still to be determined, and we don't know if DPC's art productivity will remain steady (much less his desire to report it), so for now we're stuck with wild speculation. These charts suggest we're on pace to match Episode 8's size somewhere between July (statics) and October (animations). That's not really telling us anything we didn't already know, but at least we're underway.

Personally, I've lost my taste for the Halloween episode and I'd much rather get some hefty character development than a bunch of lewd scenes, but I'm glad we're not dragging out the wait. And DPC's enthusiasm is a good sign. But I'll admit I'm most interested in whatever it is he plans to talk about next week. I just hope it has more numbers!
yay, my favorite part of waiting the new content cycle, Charts with ename!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: ename144

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
how do you play the interlude if u dont have any save files or base game installed?

ty for your help in advance <3
Why would you want to play the interlude if you haven't played season 1 & 2 is a better question....
If you have your saves of the end of ep 8 (should still be stored even if you deleted the game) and can be used to import into the interlude.
If not you can dl several saves from page 1/extra and import them if you save them in the correct maps.
But seriously, if you haven't played season 1&2 start there, the interlude is basicly an introduction of a character for next episodes and there's no real progress on the main story.

Nov 18, 2021
Why would you want to play the interlude if you haven't played season 1 & 2 is a better question....
If you have your saves of the end of ep 8 (should still be stored even if you deleted the game) and can be used to import into the interlude.
If not you can dl several saves from page 1/extra and import them if you save them in the correct maps.
But seriously, if you haven't played season 1&2 start there, the interlude is basicly an introduction of a character for next episodes and there's no real progress on the main story.
I had the game but then deleted it once I completed the update

sixart

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 2, 2021
Oh but I will, worth it. Btw, I have one question: Can I be the new Captain America and freeze myself until the episode is here? No? :LOL:
As best to my knowledge cryonics as is the term of deepfreeze and later thaw out and revive does not exist... it's fiction at this moment... BUT if we stick to jokes then : knock yourself out ! ;) :LOL:
Like this... :KEK:
1639875_A7B9B7C2-9A8B-47B0-A156-1246848CB357.gif
I'm not! Already playing ep9, great story! Sage breaking down that door with an axe was slightly scary, but nothing too serious.
Goddamn diarrhea get's out the worst of us... welp this could also mean that not Bella :love: is the axe murderer but Sage :love: the little devil :devilish::LOL: Of course we pick this up later when she's done with her dump :poop::ROFLMAO:
Ah well, next we need to swap the Jocks steroids with estriadol before that competition so no time for hanging around here!
While you are at it please put there some laxatives too... thx ! :devilish:(y):LOL::ROFLMAO::KEK:

goldenrule91

Feb 26, 2021
Aside from writing and posing animations, I've been preparing close to 50-60 characters for the episode. There will be some cosmetic polls in the future, but sadly most of the Halloween costumes are planned, so I won't be able to give you the freedom to choose Halloween costumes for many girls, or it would mess up my writing and the episode story.
Darn, I hope we at least get to pick the MC's costume and maybe our LIs' as well. But it's awesome that the party is confirmed next update and something big is probably gonna happen to kick off the season. I think I'm hyped :Kappa:

One thing, is it known why Quinn sells drugs? I don't remember seeing it in the story and I think it's not for a stupid reason.

edit: or obvious reasons
We don't exactly know why Quinn sells drugs yet, or why she runs the restaurant, but the general theory is that she's doing it to get money to help her dad somehow. There are a lot of details we're missing regarding Quinn, her dad and Burke that makes it impossible to guess what's really going on behind the scenes. So yeah, it's likely not for a stupid reason but we just don't know yet. Stay tuned to the Quinn Channel to find out :KappaPride:

Daken9

Apr 28, 2017
:coffee: Updated BigTable™ with the recent informations.
TheWaitBegin!

• The Interlude had the same development time and animation duration as Episode 3.
  • I added animations duration in the table to better see the work done as DPC tend to assemble them now.
    • The Interlude had 52 animations into 36.
  • DPC pumping some early interesting rendering ratio. Note that he started to work on it before EPI release.
  • Release projection: Early September 2022 (25 weeks) — Mid October 2022 (30 weeks)
    • An Halloween release would be surprising cause it would explose the development time to 33 weeks.

EPRendersAnimationsMusic*SizeReleaseDevelopment TimeRatio*R/DA/D
EP1130151 (3:29)≈1.1 GB07 Feb 2019— days
EP21709 (+31%)77 (3:36) (+26)≈2.3 GB (+1.2 GB)04 May 2019087 (2 months, 28 days |≈12 weeks)20.519.60.89
EP32289 (+34%)99 (4:42) (+22)≈4.1 GB (+1.8 GB)16 Aug 2019105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)22.521.80.95
EP42532 (+11%)134 (7:57) (+35)≈6.1 GB (+2.0 GB)10 Jan 2020148 (4 months, 26 days |≈21 weeks)18.017.10.91
EP52456 (-3%)157 (8:35) (+23)17 (3.4K$)≈8.0 GB (+1.9 GB)29 May 2020141 (4 months, 20 days |≈20 weeks)18.517.41.11
EP63336 (+35%)162 (8:33) (+5)24 (4.8K$)≈11.1 GB (+3.1 GB)13 Nov 2020169 (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)20.719.70.96
EP73723 (+12%)250 (18:14) (+88)18 (3.6K$)≈14.5 GB (+3.4 GB)23 Apr 2021162 (5 months, 11 days |≈23 weeks)24.523.01.54
EP84158 (+12%)358 (26:21) (+108)34 (6.8K$)≈19.5 GB (+5.0 GB)19 Nov 2021211 (6 months, 28 days |≈30 weeks)21.419.71.70
EPI79436 (4:36)19 (3.8K$)≈2.6 GB (new .exe)4 March 2021105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)7.97.50.34
EP9≈200≈8in development007 (1 week)29.728.61.14
Complete Table with the help of Holy Bacchus† previous post. — Being a DIK in development since 3 years, 1 month, 4 days (37 months / 161 weeks / 1,128 days / 27,072 hours)
* 199$ Premium Licensed Music — Ratio: (Renders+Animations)/Development Time [Average: 20.9] — Renders/Days [Average: 19.8] — Animations/Days [Average: 1.15] — EP7+ New HW

(y) Thumb up to well made Casiope DIK Walkthrough.
That table makes me wonder a lot of things and most of 'em i won't say, but one of them is how/why the interlude took that long. Not because i pretend quick releases, i couldn't even if i wanted to since i'm not paying, but because it's pretty stark that comparitevely it's the update that took the longest to make, with a margin.

I mean, even if he took a 1 month vacation after EP8, and we took that one out for fairness sake, the numbers still wouldn't look all that much better. Maybe what dragged was the writing, dunno. Is interesting.

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
That table makes me wonder a lot of things and most of 'em i won't say, but one of them is how/why the interlude took that long. Not because i pretend quick releases, i couldn't even if i wanted to since i'm not paying, but because it's pretty stark that comparitevely it's the update that took the longest to make, with a margin.

I mean, even if he took a 1 month vacation after EP8, and we took that one out for fairness sake, the numbers still wouldn't look all that much better. Maybe what dragged was the writing, dunno. Is interesting.
Perhaps DPC contracting Covid would be one of the factors

Another factor that DPC was working on the Steam version after episode 8

Reactions: Marley300 and mpa71

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
We don't exactly know why Quinn sells drugs yet, or why she runs the restaurant, but the general theory is that she's doing it to get money to help her dad somehow. There are a lot of details we're missing regarding Quinn, her dad and Burke that makes it impossible to guess what's really going on behind the scenes. So yeah, it's likely not for a stupid reason but we just don't know yet. Stay tuned to the Quinn Channel to find out
Well, since she has her make-up (the star) in honor of her father it's likely her father died. Buddy used to be his sidekick but is now running the business and her mother still gets help there from buddy so it's not even unlikely (atleast partly) Quinn is doing it for her. Quinn is very much opposed to cocaine so it might even be her dad had an overdose. And most important Quinn has a good contact with buddy to provide in her own drug abuse so why not sell and have your own for free?

4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes