duningtwo

Mar 2, 2020
Maya withholds information, but we've only caught her saying one thing that turned out to be untrue (the fake boyfriend). I consider that lie so minor as to be irrelevant.

So could you please provide evidence that she is a compulsive liar and manipulator? Otherwise, I see no reason at this time to dismiss her account and several reasons to support it (the Episode 4 flashback and Derek's "It was secret for a reason!" line in particular).
she joins a sorority of sluts (her word) solely because she wants free money from them, not friends or sisterhood. mc joins a fraternity because he wants a place to live, but he finds friends and brotherhood. shows character growth on his part. maya storms out when she doesn't get paid.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
she joins a sorority of sluts (her word) solely because she wants free money from them, not friends or sisterhood. mc joins a fraternity because he wants a place to live, but he finds friends and brotherhood. shows character growth on his part. maya storms out when she doesn't get paid.
Isn't that a case of Maya herself being manipulated? Quinn lied to her, so Maya slapped Quinn and left. I doubt the MC would have been anywhere near as eager to rebuild the mansion if Rusty been saying all DIKs get rooms only to renounce that once Hell Week was over.

Reactions: Heycock

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Isn't that a case of Maya herself being manipulated? Quinn lied to her, so Maya slapped Quinn and left. I doubt the MC would have been anywhere near as eager to rebuild the mansion if Rusty been saying all DIKs get rooms only to renounce that once Hell Week was over.
That's really shifting the moral responsibility. Maya made the decision to join the HOT's based upon a rumor that she would get free tuition. It was her intent to join strictly for monetary gain. She decided to use the HOT's, Quinn's behavior had nothing to do with it.

Nov 14, 2016
I doubt the MC would have been anywhere near as eager to rebuild the mansion if Rusty been saying all DIKs get rooms only to renounce that once Hell Week was over.
Well to be fair I don't see Rusty backstabbing like that, but even if he went back on his word about DIKs getting rooms I'm sure he would've had a good explanation and then MC could've probably stayed with Bella. Bella even mentioned that she didn't want MC to not have a place to live when they talked and she was working out.

duningtwo

Mar 2, 2020
she made her decision to join the hots based on a rumour, not anything quinn told her. nevermind her stupidity for believing it in the first place, her singular reason for joining was incredibly disingenuous and when she didn't get what she wanted she freaked out like a child and (seemingly, i guess it's not 100% yet) abandoned the sorority. you're focusing on her leaving instead of why she joined, which was under false pretenses aka a lie. she was manipulating the sisters and situation for her personal gain. she didn't want to be a member.

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Helping Steve or not isn't a reflection of Steve's "worthiness", it's a reflection on the MC's compassion.
Then the question becomes why does the player feel their MC should show compassion for Steve and not for Dad Maya when neither one has expressed any contrition for their evil acts?

I say they are both bad. But it's interesting to me that so many are quick to let Steve off the hook but not Dad Maya.

Reactions: DavDR

duningtwo

Mar 2, 2020
Finished ep6 now. I just wanna say... fuck.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
is telling jill after the tennis date you're not the right guy for her not making that decision earlier? after that she seems firmly friendzoned based on the chapter end summary. seems to me in a super dik playthrough in which you shoot down jill and bella and choose friendship with maya and josy that all four of those trains are off the tracks. would be bizarre for any of them to return to love interest status later.

Nov 14, 2016
is telling jill after the tennis date you're not the right guy for her not making that decision earlier? after that she seems firmly friendzoned based on the chapter end summary. seems to me in a super dik playthrough in which you shoot down jill and bella and choose friendship with maya and josy that all four of those trains are off the tracks. would be bizarre for any of them to return to love interest status later.
Actually yea, you are probably right. I meant it in CHICK playthrough context, where you play as the guy who doesn't wanna hurt anyones feelings and let things develop naturally. Like if you are given the option of ending it yourself and continuing you still pick continue but for me it felt like Sage/Jill decision was you pick one and the other isn't pursuable. I could be wrong though.

DavDR

Oct 14, 2020
Then the question becomes why does the player feel their MC should show compassion for Steve and not for Dad Maya when neither one has expressed any contrition for their evil acts?

I say they are both bad. But it's interesting to me that so many are quick to let Steve off the hook but not Dad Maya.
I agree with you there, I'd choose to show compassion for both of them. But if Steve is guilty of sexual assault for touching Josey isn't Maya also guilty of sexual assault?

Reactions: anonymoussposter

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Thought experiment
Speaking of Steve, are the people who readily condemn Dad Maya willing to console Steve and essentially forgive him? Or do they reject him? Beyond being a douche to MC, Steve is guilty of sexual assault against Josy, but because he cries on the floor about mama and papa, he is now a person to be forgiven? It seems to me that Steve is just as guilty as Dad Maya, if not more. Dad Maya makes his daughter feel worthless, Steve sexually assaults his co-worker and tries to make MC feel worthless. One would think they are as least equally bad if not Steve more so. The CHICK choice is to console Steve even though he has done nothing to atone for his crime against Josy. Wouldn't the CHICK choice for Dad Maya haters be to forgive him as well at some point? :unsure:

Being a DIK, I have the great pleasure of not having to forgive anyone and thus never having to worry about the hypocrisy. ;)
Yes, but Steve isn't hitting rock bottom because he feels bad about his actions against Josy and MC. He simply feels bad for himself. He is thinking more of how his parents break up is affecting him than his parents. I don't think he had even a sliver of self reflection concerning his own behaviour over the summer. Now MC's olive branch may be the kindness he needs to change his ways, but we don't fully know that yet. The fact remains he is guilty of greater unrepentant crimes than Dad Maya yet he is a character people are more quick to forgive. Makes you wonder why that is. ;)
I don't think the MC has forgiven Steve, and I wouldn't necessarily say that I would either in a similar situation. What it is for me is that it's simply seeing someone at a low point and extending that olive branch, being the bigger person and showing some human compassion to that person even if they perhaps don't deserve it. Yes, the reason why Steve is so upset does seem rather selfish, so that in itself doesn't exactly lend itself to feeling sorry for Steve or forgiving them for past actions, but by at least lending an ear and trying to console them, it could give them to pause to rethink their past actions and maybe they'll change and be apologetic if they meet again later.

With Maya's Dad, we haven't seen him at a low point and currently he seems very determined and set in his bigoted ways so it's easy and, I think, right to dislike him for this reason. At this point, he is like Steve from Ep 1; an entirely unpleasant character that you don't care to know or tolerate. If he too were to have such a moment of vulnerability, then perhaps an attempt could be made to talk with him, but the other key difference is that his issue stems from a deeply-rooted and ignorant intolerance based on flawed religious doctrine and that rises to a much higher level of dislike and disgust than someone just being a bit of a douche and a bully based on their own ego.

Fucking he'll how is this conversation still going on, it's just repetitive and boring now, new people jumping in and saying the same things that were said yesterday that lead to multiple posts getting deleted.

But to reiterate again because I love being dragged back in, Maya is a liar, and a manipulator. These are cold facts that not even her number one fans can deny.

And because of those character traits we don't know if she's telling the truth about dear old daddy.
There's a huge difference between lying in order to deliberately deceive, and omitting details in order to protect oneself and others from potential harm, be that physical or emotional.

The only true lie that Maya told was that she had a boyfriend, but as I've said numerous times, it's the same tactic women use all the time to rebuff the advances of men because they want to put them off being interested so they'll leave them alone. If they say it enough times it can become a reflex, and that's likely what happened here, but as Maya opens up to the MC, she starts to see him as someone she can trust and so she recants the lie as a likely first step to letting him in, but her walls are still up. She could have said she had a girlfriend, but at that point she didn't know if that was still true and she was still not at the stage where she could know for sure if he would accept her being gay, so this is the omission to protect herself from possible further rejection.

As for being a "manipulator", this word implies that she is purposefully manipulating others to do her her bidding, and that description seems to better fit Quinn than Maya. Maya can't "manipulate" the HOTs because she's not the one in control of this situation. That's like trying to say that someone is "manipulating" a bank by getting a loan from them to pay off their debts. In both situations, the person/group providing the assistance is a means to an end, but that is not a manipulative tactic on the side of the person seeking the assistance.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2016
One is a birthday date while the other is tending to a sick person. The choice should be obvious but I'm guessing that this choice will bite MC in the future. However I don't think that this would lock a relationship out.

If only MC was allowed to explain to Jill the real reason if he decided to visit Sage instead of simply stating he was busy.
But he did say to Jill that sorry I have to tend to a friend, she is sick. Something along those lines.

Reactions: RonnieBoi

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
That's really shifting the moral responsibility. Maya made the decision to join the HOT's based upon a rumor that she would get free tuition. It was her intent to join strictly for monetary gain. She decided to use the HOT's, Quinn's behavior had nothing to do with it.
she made her decision to join the hots based on a rumour, not anything quinn told her. nevermind her stupidity for believing it in the first place, her singular reason for joining was incredibly disingenuous and when she didn't get what she wanted she freaked out like a child and (seemingly, i guess it's not 100% yet) abandoned the sorority. you're focusing on her leaving instead of why she joined, which was under false pretenses aka a lie. she was manipulating the sisters and situation for her personal gain. she didn't want to be a member.
What lie? Did Maya ever hide her distaste for the activities Quinn had her do? I'm pretty sure Maya's discomfort was most of the reason Quinn gave her those tasks in the first place.

I'm not seeing the manipulation here. Maya started the process on a rumor, but only continued when Quinn confirmed there WAS free tuition available. Moreover, she fulfilled her end of the bargain; it was the HOTs (since Quinn was acting in their capacity) who backed out.

You may disapprove of Maya's motivation, but taking advantage of an offer for atypical reasons isn't manipulation. You can disapprove of Maya's gullibility, but that's nearly the opposite of proving Maya is some sort of con woman. You can disapprove of how Maya responded, but that's still no indication that she's delusional or deliberately slandering her father.

duningtwo

Mar 2, 2020
isn't Maya also guilty of sexual assault?
more evidence to her discredit. she woke up what appears to be her only friend at college (before josy shows up) by dry-humping him, again in pursuit of a free ride. the same guy she warned off while draping herself all over him during movie night. the same guy she made promise to always be 100% honest with her before refusing to tell him what her problem is, or that she has a girlfriend.

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
Fucking hell how is this conversation still going on, it's just repetitive and boring now, new people jumping in and saying the same things that were said yesterday that lead to multiple posts getting deleted.

But to reiterate again because I love being dragged back in, Maya is a liar, and a manipulator. These are cold facts that not even her number one fans can deny.

And because of those character traits we don't know if she's telling the truth about dear old daddy.
How annoying you are, I hope Isabella kills Quinn soon so that you get out of here and stop distilling your senseless hatred of Maya

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
linear or choice based ?
A little of both. There are lots of choices that change certain things along the way, but the story follows a relatively linear track. It's like you're on a train journey from A to B, but along the way you get to choose how you spend your time during that journey, and at a certain point you'll be able to get off that train and choose if you want to get on a train bound for points C, D, E, F, etc.

Reactions: playa2
4.80 star(s) 1,511 Votes