cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
There is also the fact that these guys are more toxic than a pack of rabies hound. Look at this thread about a recent game https://f95zone.to/threads/not-going-back-ch-1-cicada.166812/, half of the talk is about NTR because one guy bragged that he fucked a possible LI, and I'm not joking here. Because a girl mentioned that this same LI is hot. Yes, people are scared that the girl would steal their LI...
Well, wasn't expecting to see my game mentioned as I was reading through this thread, but since it's been brought up, and the topic of male characters on the whole was brought up, I was really surprised that so many people seemed to have an issue with my male characters ... having character? I'd kind of thought, given the popularity of Being a DIK (and, say, College Kings, with the other frat guys in that game), that people would not still be so up in arms over male characters existing and not being useless background figures.

People being disappointed that certain characters weren't main LIs, I completely understood. But people being genuinely concerned at the idea of character depth (characters having their own lives, interests, histories etc.) and the implications of this depth was not something I thought would still be as prevalent as it was.

I know a lot of people don't care for story in games like this, which is fair enough, and for them, yes, male characters are essentially pointless, but I was still surprised to see such a strong reaction to some of the character/story beats I put in

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I don't really pay attention when telling Maya about the "hometown crush", but does the MC name her? I know that Josy never mentions Maya's name, and you don't mention Maya's name when talking to Josy on the phone, but I can't remember if the MC mentions Josy's name when talking to Maya. I might need to replay those scenes & the scene when Josy shows up to the room.
There is a limit to the communication problems of the protagonists in this story :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SomboSteel

Lovetities

Apr 3, 2020
Here are the contrasting values that create the male character genocide we see in most games.

1. You don't want to see other guys bone.
2. I assume you want the option of romantically pursuing any female on screen. IE. Most players don't like it, when a female character is NOT dateable. They HATE it when some other male character is or can date a non available female character.
3. Most players self project onto the MC, and so they want the MC to be successful, to have ag next and be the main driver of the plot. They don't want to feel challenged or threatened by another male (or even female) character.

There's more, but let's focus on these three.

Because you 'dont want to see other guys bone' and you want at least the option to choose any or every girl you see, this means the other male characters have nothing to do. I'm a mainstream game, if you saw two side characters being cute together, you.might root for them, or even try and help them get together. But in an AVN, most players are trying to gobble.up girls like it's Hungry Fucking Hippos. And since there's only so much screentime, male characters are often relegated to either antagonist or the MCs hype man.

As for dumb sluts turning into loyal girlfri nds for the MC, it's a symptom of the same problem.

It's not that the dev doesn't know how to write them, it's that player egos are so fucking fragile, they can't handle reality. It's a game, don't put so much of yourself into it. If Fuckface and Derek both tried to seduce Sage and she choose Derek, that wouldn't be NTR. Even if we saw them fuck, it wouldn't be NTR.

NTR is a very specific fetish, where the player is enjoying the humiliation and betrayal of being cheated on, usually by a superior man. It's getting off on being cucked.

Storytelling requires winners and losers. Good storytelling requires the MC to also both win and lose. In most games this simply never happens. Even in BaD, the only girls you lose are the ones you choose not to pursue. There are, at best a few temporary setbacks, like the Maya Josy twist.

This kind of handholding for sensitive players, means devs can't use the full range of storytelling.

So don't blame the devs. Blame yourself.
Who is blaming the developer? Other than you? In a fantasy game people care more about their main character and their chosen girls rather than some rando male characters.

Why do you wanna see rando characters fuck? Do you get off from them? Good for you. Most don't, they prefer to follow one set of pov(preferable fuckface). Good storytelling doesn't need random characters fucking, (what does it add to the plot?) if it was true half of the game here would be popular. Random characters fucking wouldn't add anything to the plot. This is not a multiple protagonist game and what you are talking about is Voyeurism.

At the end of the day, this is fantasy dating simulator. I care about Fuckface and his branching choices. I don't care if Jill says she is dating rusty in non-jill path as long as I am not forced to see them fuck, I prefer Sally/Krj/any other girls scenes over that. Also, we literally see penny/Areith/goth girl fucking in the game already with other people? So, I don't see your point. :Kappa:

Lethal Flourish

Oct 8, 2021
This is some 'I actually feel sorry for them' kinda bullshit.

"I fantasized about this girl once in middleschool while I jerked off so she is mine now forever. I get sad just THINKING about another guy railing her like I'll never get to..."

Uhh...no.

In your example, you are quoting a translation, of a specific concept.
It is not just "I like them".
It's not even "We fucked".
A "love interest" in that case is a character in a game, that another character has a possible ending with.

It's "We are officially together on this path, and they are still fucking someone else."

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
What I dislike most about the game:

1)Tybalt is too cartoonish a character. It's hard to take him seriously when all we do the whole game is make fun of him. And he has to be taken seriously when the quest to blackmail Tybalt begins. He just talks, but to back up his words he could send a lawyer or a statement of claim and then we could realize that he's not kidding.

2)Abrupt transitions between character story arcs. For example, there is a story arc of Sage and MC just being sex friends and there is a story arc of MC and Sage in a relationship. There is no smooth transition between them, everything happened abruptly and roughly. On the contrary, Bell's arc is generally structured well and a smooth and logical development of the relationship from cold attitude to affection and love.

3) Useless Characters. I realize that a large number of characters increase immersiveness, but there are useless characters whose presence in the game is very hard to explain. For example, why do you need Becky when her role can be duplicated by Sarah or Ariet? If DPС needs Maya to have a person from the past, then a similar role could be played by Derek, for example. The same could be said for the dorm girls, but they would probably play some important role in the story.

4)Too much branching. The game has tons of variables and choices that don't make any sense at all. The ending with Sarah and Melanie is pointless because they obviously don't have their own romantic line and sex with them could have happened at the party. Why was the "Jill's orgasm" variable even necessary? That there would be a separate subplot in the game where Jill doesn't like sex? What's the point? What's the point of making the game so complicated?

5)The incompleteness of some of the storylines. I realize that the game will probably provide answers in the future, but it's been 2 seasons and most of the questions remain unanswered. The game answers the most minor questions, and the game asks new questions. For example, Chad's arc is still not complete. We don't know who the blackmailer was, why he let Troy get beaten up in episode 1, what his relationship with Sage was, etc.

6) A branch of others. I've said before that the Others branch is a very bloated branch with a lot of girls with their own quests. To unlock all the content of this branch, you will have to replay it several times. For example, in episode 9, the Others branch has 5 endings (Quinn, Lily and Envy, Melanie and Sarah, Night on the Couch, and Night with Vixen).

7) Replayability for the sake of replayability. To unlock absolutely all the content of episode 9 you need to play it 6 times.

Melimelo

Jun 7, 2017

1)Tybalt is too cartoonish a character. It's hard to take him seriously when all we do the whole game is make fun of him. And he has to be taken seriously when the quest to blackmail Tybalt begins. He just talks, but to back up his words he could send a lawyer or a statement of claim and then we could realize that he's not kidding.

2)Abrupt transitions between character story arcs. For example, there is a story arc of Sage and MC just being sex friends and there is a story arc of MC and Sage in a relationship. There is no smooth transition between them, everything happened abruptly and roughly. On the contrary, Bell's arc is generally structured well and a smooth and logical development of the relationship from cold attitude to affection and love.

5)The incompleteness of some of the storylines. I realize that the game will probably provide answers in the future, but it's been 2 seasons and most of the questions remain unanswered. The game answers the most minor questions, and the game asks new questions. For example, Chad's arc is still not complete. We don't know who the blackmailer was, why he let Troy get beaten up in episode 1, what his relationship with Sage was, etc.
1) Tibalt well of course he is cartoonish and all and he wouldn't have last 6 month as the prep pres being so stupid, but it's part of his "charm" I enjoy it all the same.

2) Sage : She has been in a sexless relationship with Chad for more than2 years and she is a sexual young lady so it start abruptly with a fwb fling she has a lot of frustration to evacuate and MC goes with the flow (seriously, who wouldn't, freshman and the pres of the HOTs wants to fuck your brains out ...) the relation change but not abruptly (rebound guy aso)

5) AboutChad's blackmailer I think it's the same who posted the Caty cluck and we won't know for some time. I don't think he knew MC was i the same dorm as Troy. Troy is visibly hated by the jocks they come to ruin MC things and Troy is just a collateral damage. Even when Troy is insulted and bullied in the gym chad just makes an half assed remark to defend him.

Reactions: I'm Canadian bub

Chutoro

Jun 22, 2020
Wait Quinn won a best character poll?
I mean she is good
But was my angel even in the poll?

Either way that poll is obviously rigged or fake news

Maya is best girl ever
But then we all know that don't we
Someone or some people exploited the poll via VPN, etc. to vote multiple times for Quinn. I also found some fishy votes for Sage but she is the winner probably. I'm just glad I didn't see any recurring votes for Rionna. Thank you Rionna fans! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

You can check my previous post here:

Hey guys, I closed the poll I created the other day, and here are the results:
View attachment 2783579
Quinn seems to be the winner here but there is more to the story. Since I don't have a premium account on this website, it is possible to exploit the poll and vote multiple times by changing the browser or IP address via VPN. Also, I think there are some free scripts you can use to exploit polls out there. There are even more sophisticated ones that vote at random time intervals. It is very hard to detect these kinds of votes. Not really sure someone would go that far to rig this poll. :censored: When I looked at the votes closely, I found a lot of recurring votes. It means some people used this exploit to vote multiple times. Here is an example of recurring votes in short time intervals:
View attachment 2783581
Looking at the time stamps, in every 30-40 seconds, Quinn got 6 votes. This is probably someone exploiting the poll. So I count these votes as 1.
There are 41 recurring votes like this for Quinn, 14 for Sage, and 3 for Josy. After removing them here is the result:
I also attached a pdf file which includes all the votes, time stamps etc.
View attachment 2783583 View attachment 2783586
I don't know why people like to cheat even in a not-really-important poll like this. Maybe it doesn't make sense to create more polls in the future. Lesson learned.

Mar 9, 2019

3) Useless Characters. I realize that a large number of characters increase immersiveness, but there are useless characters whose presence in the game is very hard to explain. For example, why do you need Becky when her role can be duplicated by Sarah or Ariet? If DPС needs Maya to have a person from the past, then a similar role could be played by Derek, for example. The same could be said for the dorm girls, but they would probably play some important role in the story.

4)Too much branching. The game has tons of variables and choices that don't make any sense at all. The ending with Sarah and Melanie is pointless because they obviously don't have their own romantic line and sex with them could have happened at the party. Why was the "Jill's orgasm" variable even necessary? That there would be a separate subplot in the game where Jill doesn't like sex? What's the point? What's the point of making the game so complicated?

6) A branch of others. I've said before that the Others branch is a very bloated branch with a lot of girls with their own quests. To unlock all the content of this branch, you will have to replay it several times. For example, in episode 9, the Others branch has 5 endings (Quinn, Lily and Envy, Melanie and Sarah, Night on the Couch, and Night with Vixen).

7) Replayability for the sake of replayability. To unlock absolutely all the content of episode 9 you need to play it 6 times.
Interesting points you have brought up here. I can't say I agree with most of what you said since many points clash with what I understand about the foundation BADik is built on. However, you made two points that are gripes at DPC's storytelling capabilities making it easier to agree with, as many, not just me, have found some issues with his ability to chronicle characters and events.

Tybalt is definitely over the top on the whole rich snob personality. I agree that he goes beyond stereotypical, becoming a caricature, but it can be quite easily ignored as the characters surrounding him are serious threats in the narrative making him a threat by proximity. Also, I don't much care for Jill to begin with, rendering Tybalt a nonentity as he's not even a true threat on her path. So cartoonish but consistently so? Meh, I've tolerated worse.

I must disagree with you on your example of unexpected transitions in character story arcs though the point itself holds merit. Sage's story is perfectly natural to me, it only feels abrupt if you disregard the whole drama with Chad and the time skips. She doesn't just jump into a relationship with Fuckface, she breaks up with Chad then over a month later she agrees once asked to start dating our boy. They build up a strong bond in the 8 episodes before they finally decide to give things a try and it's made very clear how since we actively participate in those chemistry-building moments. The truly abrupt part is episodes 1 and 2 of their relationship but when I was in college I dated an older girl who I met in a similarly blunt situation so it doesn't throw me off as much as the other MG's. There are definitely disconnected transitions that happen though, like the whole Maya and Josy debacle in episode 5 which has been recounted probably more times than there are pages in this thread so I will digress.

Your third complaint confuses me. Useless characters? You literally said it yourself; they are there for immersive purposes, to make the world seem alive. Every character doesn't require a fully formed reason for existing, just like you probably don't know why your neighbor lives next to you. To follow your suggestions, however, would certainly make the BADik universe blander and less interesting. DPC is not George RR Martin though; he's not giving every character their own POV. If every character directly affects the narrative that would only make your next point even more futile. This is an erotic college dating sim game, not a fantasy book series examining the intricacies of societal hierarchies interacting with the supernatural in a mysterious world-ending scenario. Little nods to other people existing and having little to do with the main plot is a mark of genuine worldbuilding which needs to be celebrated in my opinion, not condemned.

This game was always going to have a staggering number of different branches, and securing the funding to go nuts with it only allowed DPC to truly push its limits. Man must be a fan of Star Trek with his constant desire to venture ever further beyond what he knows he's capable of. I'm no landscaper but I believe we should let the branches grow, and see how big this tree can really become, you know?

There are bound to be a fuckton of unanswered questions. We are literally only halfway through the story; this is the point when the narrative reaches the rising action, meaning only now will we start to get more answers to the important burning questions like the truth behind Melanie and Sarah's relationship with Chad. Of course, questions like the identity of the blackmailer may not receive an answer until episode 12, if not even later. I, for one, know what I signed up for with DPC and that finding the answers to my questions is, doubtlessly, a very long-term commitment. BADik ain't perfect but I have faith it'll deliver, and if I don't get all my questions answered? So be it.

These last two points are really just DPC catering to the market. Make as many girls available as possible to bring in as many consumers as possible, then keep them playing the game for as long as possible. Those Steam stats ain't going to boost themselves. He's passionate about this but, at the end of the day, he's in it for the money. If he wasn't, he would do what I do and create tons of stories for free in his spare time and keep them locked away for personal use and a few other loved ones.

Thank you for your opinions, Proxy. I enjoyed hashing my own as I so rarely do divulge my own thoughts about the game and I enjoyed reading your perspective. I always enjoy seeing "hot take" posts like yours.

Cheers, bub.

KАRАMBA

Engaged Member
Jan 6, 2021
Someone or some people exploited the poll via VPN, etc. to vote multiple times for Quinn. I also found some fishy votes for Sage but she is the winner probably.
Wait a minute, you're saying there are fishy votes for Quinn, and for Sage. What these doubts are based on is not clear. Apparently in the short time interval between the voices. The fact that people from different countries can vote almost synchronously is not taken into account. And now you've already identified the votes for Quinn as fake, but for Sage only - fishy. So, having as you say - fishy votes for Quinn and Sage, nevertheless you give the victory to Sage. It doesn't look too fair. No. It looks like real discrimination. Quinn's rights are being grossly violated.

anonnyscouse

Jul 25, 2020
Someone or some people exploited the poll via VPN, etc. to vote multiple times for Quinn. I also found some fishy votes for Sage but she is the winner probably. I'm just glad I didn't see any recurring votes for Rionna. Thank you Rionna fans! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

You can check my previous post here:
Translation: I didn't want Quinn to win so I've come up with a reason that disqualifies her, Sage had the same problem but I like her so I'll let her win.

For the record I didn't vote multiple times, I voted once for Sage, Quinn, Rio, Josy and Cam.

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019

1) This one I agree with. It feels more like a caricature than an actual character, and I think the story would benefit from giving him some actual development, beyond being a punching bag to show how cool Tremolo is. Fuck man, give him a redemption arc. Let us hook him up with a chick. Either someone who'll help him pull his head out of his arse, or Becky, to further torment the both of them.

2) I'm not really seeing the issue you are, so I'll just leave this one.

3) Without those characters, it would make the setting less believable. If you play many other games, you start to notice how unnatural things feel due to only the core cast every being present. And to include another conversation point, it's also weird how, in most games, the MC never has any male friends outside his pervy best friend. BaDIK allows Derek to have interactions outside of his relationship to the MC, which lets him be a character instead of just someone to be lame next to the MC so said MC can look cool. Anyway, Becky. Her role is lewd scenes, a way to gain RP with Maya and Derek, and comic relief when things go poorly for her. Her role isn't deep, but she does have one. Sarah could have taking some of that for herself, but then that then becomes extra baggage that needs to accounted for in future scenes. For example, her being a catty bitch to Maya at lunch would make her apology seem insincere later.

4) We don't actually know if Sarah and Mel will lead anywhere or not. If not, it doesn't matter, since it's not going to lead to a huge change outside a unique opening scene and alternate dialogue for future scenes with them. If it does, then, neat, new route. The Jill orgasm is probably just a minor variable.

5) I mean, you already addressed this. The games not finished. Unresolved questions will likely get resolved in time.

6) I'm not really seeing an issue here, outside of extended dev time, and I rather longer dev time than a lesser game. I imagine the reason you're given so many options, is so DPC can cut out certain events, so he doesn't have to squeeze them all into a limited timeframe. There's no need to worry about how Tremolo manages to do crimes with Quinn, Roll with Lily and have their date with Nicole all in the same night when they're mutually exclusive scenes. I imagine there's other scenes for hooking up with Sarah, and Mel, sleeping with the Vixens or the Sofa. Maybe different scenes, maybe not.

7) Just don't replay it, if you don't want to. I only when through all the routes recently, and it's only because it took me a few years to care enough to do that. If you've only got one playthrough in you, that's totally valid. If you want the other scenes, just unlock the gallery.

Unrelated, but since infighting is flaring up again, I feel it needs to be said: ALL GIRLS ARE BEST GIRL, but Quinn is bestest girl.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Translation: I didn't want Quinn to win so I've come up with a reason that disqualifies her, Sage had the same problem but I like her so I'll let her win.

For the record I didn't vote multiple times, I voted once for Sage, Quinn, Rio, Josy and Cam.
IIRC he took away/didn't count the fishy votes for both, Quinn and Sage.

There are 41 recurring votes like this for Quinn, 14 for Sage, and 3 for Josy. After removing them here is the result:

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes