DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
What is this supposed to explain to me?
It will explain how most of the lawsuit theories bantered around on this forum just aren't possible, also look up standing, which is a major roadblock to most suits going forward. One of the provisions of standing is if the court can remedy the complaint in the suit. If the court can't remedy then the case is dead. So, take the Tybalt suit. MC didn't have the money to pay for the damages so the suit would be dead because the court can't order MC to pay money he doesn't have.

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
It will explain how most of the lawsuit theories bantered around on this forum just aren't possible, also look up standing, which is a major roadblock to most suits going forward. One of the provisions of standing is if the court can remedy the complaint in the suit. If the court can't remedy then the case is dead. So, take the Tybalt suit. MC didn't have the money to pay for the damages so the suit would be dead because the court can't order MC to pay money he doesn't have.
What does Tybalt's suit have to do with Neil's lawsuit? Nothing.

What do legal fees and court costs have to do with compensation? Nothing.

Neil pays off legal fees and court costs.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020

I'm going to try one more time and then I'm going to ignore.

A lawsuit is a process. Best visualized as a series of hurdles that you must clear in order to go forward and eventually wind up in a room with lawyers in front of a judge. Most of the early and even some of the middle hurdles are just process that don't require a lot of billable time from a lawyer to pass. They're just routine. But those early hurdles are where the vast majority of lawsuits die! This is mainly because of standing. If you can't get past standing, you don't have a lawsuit. Now, if someone is really really mad and really wants to get at someone else and starts filing lawsuit after lawsuit that won't clear standing then they run into a wall called anti-slapp. And now they're in trouble because anti-slapp can fuck you up. Most lawyers won't go anywhere near anti-slapp.

That's why all of these theories just don't matter, they are not possible under the law.

TundraMouse

Apr 21, 2022
Not trying to shutdown discussion, but I feel compelled to clarify that redressability is the element of standing that you're talking about, and that has nothing to do with whether a defendant can pay for damages. The questions is whether the requested relief is likely to provide remedy for the plaintiff's injury, independent of whether or not a defendant will actually be able to pay the judgement. A claim would lack redressability if, even if the court ordered compensatory damages, the money would neither address the injury nor deter future wrongdoing.

I don't know the theories going around here, but a good faith civil tort claim against someone who wronged you will pretty much always have standing.

Last edited:

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017

A lawsuit is a process. Best visualized as a series of hurdles that you must clear in order to go forward and eventually wind up in a room with lawyers in front of a judge. Most of the early and even some of the middle hurdles are just process that don't require a lot of billable time from a lawyer to pass. They're just routine. But those early hurdles are where the vast majority of lawsuits die! This is mainly because of standing. If you can't get past standing, you don't have a lawsuit. Now, if someone is really really mad and really wants to get at someone else and starts filing lawsuit after lawsuit that won't clear standing then they run into a wall called anti-slapp. And now they're in trouble because anti-slapp can fuck you up. Most lawyers won't go anywhere near anti-slapp.

That's why all of these theories just don't matter, they are not possible under the law.
You don't need to explain anything to me because you don't understand one thing. Money makes the world go round. If Lynette's father sued Neil, then Neil is still in litigation and has to pay legal fees. Lynette's parents were rich and money rules the world. Then they ran out of money, Neil wins and Lynette's parents had to sell the villa.

I also posted something from DPC's Q&As to you. Read it again. So anti slapp legislation is for the ass.:p

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
Not trying to shutdown discussion, but I feel compelled to clarify that redressability is the element of standing that you're talking about, and that has nothing to do with whether a defendant can pay for damages. The questions is whether the requested relief is likely to provide remedy for the plaintiff's injury, independent of whether or not a defendant will actually be able to pay the judgement. A claim would lack redressability if, even if the court ordered compensatory damages, the money would neither address the injury nor deter future wrongdoing.

I don't know the theories going around here, but a good faith civil tort claim against someone who wronged you will pretty much always have standing.
See the post following yours.

TundraMouse

Apr 21, 2022

While a lawsuit is indeed a process, standing is generally not the reason cases are dismissed, and it's certainly not some automatic procedural safeguard that doesn't take up billable hours. In many states, lack of standing is an affirmative defense and the burden is on the defense to show that there is no standing. And the federal courts have been increasingly likely to remand cases that lack standing back to state court.

The reality is that all legal action is time consuming, and thus expensive, and that's why the vast majority of cases are settled, many before a motion to dismiss is ever submitted.

edit: I want to add that anti-slapp laws apply to a narrow band of actions, usually relating to lawsuits about someone's speech or municipal procedure, like zoning permits. Furthermore, anti-slapp laws can't change the elements of standing, which come from the US constitution. Instead, anti-slapp laws try to cut down on frivolous action by pausing litigation at discovery, which is the most costly part of a lawsuit; or by allowing courts to grant attorneys fees to the defendant with broader discretion.

As a reminder, access to the courts is a fundamental right in the United States.

Last edited:
Reactions: ffive

1000Spiders

Aug 17, 2022

Dude, are you being deliberately obtuse? He's obviously using Tybalt's bullshit as an example of how standing works. (which is wrong, as TundraMouse pointed out, but that's beside the point) Not saying it's related to whatever legal troubles Neil may have. What is wrong with you?

And legal fees and court costs would not be enough to bankrupt a man with a decent job. Certainly not for eighteen years.

DavDR

Engaged Member
Oct 14, 2020
While a lawsuit is indeed a process, standing is generally not the reason cases are dismissed, and it's certainly not some automatic procedural safeguard that doesn't take up billable hours. In many states, lack of standing is an affirmative defense and the burden is on the defense to show that there is no standing. And the federal courts have been increasingly likely to remand cases that lack standing back to state court.

The reality is that all legal action is time consuming, and thus expensive, and that's why the vast majority of cases are settled, many before a motion to dismiss is ever submitted.
In normal cases I would agree, but what we were discussing was the character Neil being ruined financially, through the courts, by a rich man in revenge for the rich man's daughter dying in childbirth. I was trying to explain why all of the lawsuit theories about the game were not possible. Like Tybalt's threatened lawsuit blaming MC on the flimsy evidence that he gate crashed a college party when a fire alarm went off. Or the Lynette's Dad v Neil.

Reactions: TundraMouse

dalli_x

Engaged Member
Jul 7, 2017
Dude, are you being deliberately obtuse? He's obviously using Tybalt's bullshit as an example of how standing works. (which is wrong, as TundraMouse pointed out, but that's beside the point) Not saying it's related to whatever legal troubles Neil may have. What is wrong with you?

And legal fees and court costs would not be enough to bankrupt a man with a decent job. Certainly not for eighteen years.
You don't understand sarcasm, do you?

It depends on how long a court case takes. If it takes a long time and you don't have legal protection insurance, then you will become poor.

Reactions: jimbro

WhatEver3333

Jun 24, 2023
Hi, can anyone help me?
I still cant play the last update because game crashes when it starts at the doctor office.
I have deleted all my old saves, reinstalled the game, did the patch, played the game from the start without using any mods but it still crashes when i get to there...

wuckfit123

Dec 12, 2019
I haven't played this in a while, so I'm not really caught up with the story. So what kind of playthrough currently has the most content?

I'm thinking about staying Neutral up until M+J party throuple confession, then spend the rest of S1 going DIK, doing all the side characters. If I remember correctly, you only miss out on Jill playing this route. How does this play out in S2? Can I still keep up my manwhore playthough?

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I haven't played this in a while, so I'm not really caught up with the story. So what kind of playthrough currently has the most content?

I'm thinking about staying Neutral up until M+J party throuple confession, then spend the rest of S1 going DIK, doing all the side characters. If I remember correctly, you only miss out on Jill playing this route. How does this play out in S2? Can I still keep up my manwhore playthough?
More content in the sense of more scenes I would say is the 'Others path'. That is, choosing not to bind oneself to any of the LIs at the end of the eighth chapter. Before the eighth chapter by remaining with neutral affinity you can see most of the content

znar25

Apr 25, 2021
I don't blame Quinn for the whole restaurant or drugs stuff.
Some arsehole is blackmailing her or something and forcing her to do bad things.

Quinn is a sweet girl she wouldn't do anything bad unless she was forced too.
Only Joshy92 gets this look.

In reality, she is shy and it trying to get her courage up to ask Joshy to the Sadie Hawkins Dance....

1709806391880.png

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes