vir_cotto

Engaged Member
Aug 9, 2017
There are a lot of ways for things to take a more sombre turn w/o having to resort to death(s).

Not saying any of them will happen but examples:
- Fired. Candidates; Bella, Cathy, Jade (having sex with a student (MC) would be grounds - could trigger peops who've been laid off?) Not counting Burke as people will be happy rather than depressed with that event.
- Expelled. Candidates; any of the student LIs plus Derek.
- Mental breakdown. Candidates; all except maybe Josy and Cathy
- Rehab/arrested. Candidates; The HoTs/DIKs/Jocks
- Disabled/loses a limb. Candidates; any, but Derek would be most likely

No need for deaths or fires.
Fired: No, it's not really dramatic and all the above mentioned are very much safe - they are very influential in B&R - except Bella.
Expelled: Derek or even MC - but just for a cheap, one update, storyline.
Mental breakdown: I don't know why you think Cathy and Josy are safe? Cathy is in the middle age crisis, Josy already was torn apart with everything around her. But I don't know if that could create enough drama.
Rehab/arrest: Pretty much everyone. Maybe, again, Derek or MC as part of Hell Week gone awry. After all, Jacob had the very same experience.
Disabled/loses a limb: Yes, I would even add prolonged coma. Derek - again - as a possible candidate, but also Neil (dad)

Can it get darker? Rape - off the screen, of course? Kidnapping? That could be related, later on, with mental breakdown etc.
Murder is "nope", if we believe DPC, but how dark - and what he would consider "dark" - the game could get?

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
There's also the possibility of a friend or LI becoming adicted to something. That could go to really complicated places.
I really hope that doesn't become the case but I think the Li's have a good nature about them and just don't strike me as the drug-taking types and will most likely steer clear of all that, I for one wouldn't be happy if it was to go there and I'd have to consider if I wanted to carry on.

Blablablafapper

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Fired: No, it's not really dramatic and all the above mentioned are very much safe - they are very influential in B&R - except Bella.
Expelled: Derek or even MC - but just for a cheap, one update, storyline.
Mental breakdown: I don't know why you think Cathy and Josy are safe? Cathy is in the middle age crisis, Josy already was torn apart with everything around her. But I don't know if that could create enough drama.
Rehab/arrest: Pretty much everyone. Maybe, again, Derek or MC as part of Hell Week gone awry. After all, Jacob had the very same experience.
Disabled/loses a limb: Yes, I would even add prolonged coma. Derek - again - as a possible candidate, but also Neil (dad)

Can it get darker? Rape - off the screen, of course? Kidnapping? That could be related, later on, with mental breakdown etc.
Murder is "nope", if we believe DPC, but how dark - and what he would consider "dark" - the game could get?
All of the above are possible except rape. That along with NTR are the two things that would put players ( his patrons) off the most. You can introduce drama and have the story go dark but anything too crazy and without subtle warning isn't gonna sit well for most players. These are college students in a school setting not adults living on their own in the outside world. It'd be extremely difficult to carry rape or even kidnapping out in a believable manner.

The trigger warning at the beginning was likely for (imo)

Maya's situation regarding her father and her desperate need for money
Josy's struggles with her family and getting accepted
Bella's situation with her husband (which we don't know yet)
MC's personal backstory on being poor and not having his mother growing up
Jade's husband's infidelity
Jill's seemingly unknown background with being bullied.
Dealing with nasty people like Tommy, Jocks, Quinn and etc because people like them exist in the real world

and likely more that we've yet to find out due to not being very far in the story. All the issues listed above are real life situations that happen to people all around the world. It's what DPC meant with 'this game can hit close to home at times'.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
like i said pinch of salt. im just throwing shit at the wall. there is only so much you can do without death, rape/Ntr that could be as dark and shocking you know? having a bad history is meh unless we see some flash backs.
It was attempted in AL and that's as far as it went but in all honestly, I'd rather not see that at all it's more of a put off than anything he needs to go in another direction not just go down the AL route again.

DrackDrap

Aug 13, 2017
there is only so much you can do without death, rape/Ntr that could be as dark and shocking you know? having a bad history is meh unless we see some flash backs.
I disagree, there are many, many things that fall into the realm of dark and shocking. It just happens that things like those that you said are the biggest "oomph" possibilities that can really hit you at once.

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Take this one with a pinch of salt but maybe some accidental incest with Derick and Maya? maybe maya gives in to working at the gloryhole for quinn. that would diffidently be pretty dark in a game with no incest plus it would really fuck their releationship.
I really don't see this happening. A lot of people would feel that this amounts to sneaky-NTR. And this is a game where the boyfriends of the Love Interests are either away for yeaaaars or have limp dicks, literally, and can't fuck them.
I.e. in a game as averse to show a jock kissing his girlfriend because the MC may be romantically involved with her, or that the "boyfriends" of the two LI are girls and far away from each other ...
I really, really, really don't see this happening.

vir_cotto

Engaged Member
Aug 9, 2017
All of the above are possible except rape. That along with NTR are the two things that would put players ( his patrons) off the most. You can introduce drama and have the story go dark but anything too crazy and without subtle warning isn't gonna sit well for most players. These are college students in a school setting not adults living on their own in the outside world. It'd be extremely difficult to carry rape or even kidnapping out in a believable manner.

The trigger warning at the beginning was likely for (imo)

Maya's situation regarding her father and her desperate need for money
Josy's struggles with her family and getting accepted
Bella's situation with her husband (which we don't know yet)
MC's personal backstory on being poor and not having his mother growing up
Jade's husband's infidelity
Jill's seemingly unknown background with being bullied.
Dealing with nasty people like Tommy, Jocks, Quinn and etc because people like them exist in the real world

and likely more that we've yet to find out due to not being very far in the story. All the issues listed above are real life situations that happen to people all around the world. It's what DPC meant with 'this game can hit close to home at times'.
Thing is, we know just one thing - nothing else - and that one thing is: there will be no deaths (if we're to believe DPC).
What we know it won't happen are NTR and incest - cause those are "no-no" things for DPC (again, if we can believe him).

Everything else is a possibility. And we're going back to that question without an answer: "What DPC considers dark/unsettling enough to warrant those warnings on the start screen?"

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Everything else is a possibility. And we're going back to that question without an answer: "What DPC considers dark/unsettling enough to warrant those warnings on the start screen?"
Drugs probably. If Sage or Maya or someone else likeable is an addict and have to struggle with that, it would be pretty damn dark.

And I don't mean Tommy, I don't like him. However, Quinn is already a prostitute and an addict.
And if the mob is involved with their lack of money, there may not be on-screen rape, but there could be a Quinn (or Camila or the Asian girl) beaten up and bleeding with rape either implied or mentioned.

The reason I am considering to continue the playthrough with Quinn's threesome is that I believe they would really need that money or they will be in deep shit. But what if Maya or a "better than a drug dealing prostitute" girl needs that money?
Or what if the MC's father has an accident and needs the money and badly?
We will see...

• Thinking Face
Reactions: vir_cotto

thedude

Aug 9, 2016
Thing is, we know just one thing - nothing else - and that one thing is: there will be no deaths (if we're to believe DPC).
What we know it won't happen are NTR and incest - cause those are "no-no" things for DPC (again, if we can believe him).

It's funny that NTR, if used in the correct way, as in a way to cause drama, desperation, jealousy and depression, is a huge dark element that can cause people to cry. It is done in some Japanese visual novels, but it has never been done right in any Western story.

I remember playing Boku no Kanojo wa Gatenkei (a Japanese visual novel) and crying during the sex scenes, instead of fapping to them. After finishing it, I spent almost a month without playing anything new because of how deep it impacted me. Also, in Japan, when it was released, it was reported that more than one hundred players started a mental treatment because they got into depression after playing it.

I really don't see the huge issue people have with NTR and characters' death. They can make for good story elements. I'm liking BADIK, I loved AL and I just want to see the story DPC wants to tell. So far, I'm very satisfied with what he has done and I'm happy to support him.

Blablablafapper

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
Drugs probably. If Sage or Maya or someone else likeable is an addict and have to struggle with that, it would be pretty damn dark.

And I don't mean Tommy, I don't like him. However, Quinn is already a prostitute and an addict.
And if the mob is involved with their lack of money, there may not be on-screen rape, but there could be a Quinn (or Camila or the Asian girl) beaten up and bleeding with rape either implied or mentioned.

The reason I am considering to continue the playthrough with Quinn's threesome is that I believe they would really need that money or they will be in deep shit. But what if Maya or a "better than a drug dealing prostitute" girl needs that money?
Or what if the MC's father has an accident and needs the money and badly?
We will see...
I mean it's possible. Riona worded their situation in a way that made it seem as though they have to meet a certain demand. However I don't know if introducing things like the mob is the direction DPC wants to take the story in. It is possible so we'll see.

Reactions: Tumai

TobiMAH

Dec 19, 2017
I really don't see the huge issue people have with NTR and characters' death
I don't really have a problem with the death thingy but what's the point of it if it's predictable ?? AL was so good that i almost cried that one of the characters died but if it becomes a regular thing in DPC games it'd lose it's light and what makes it different than other games you know.

4.80 star(s) 1,538 Votes