4.10 star(s) 43 Votes

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
Performance is a non-issue for so-called productivity apps like word processors; any modern multi-core processor has ample power to handle VMs and most apps running in them (including games). I own both a desktop gaming rig and a vintage 2012 HP laptop. The obsolete quad-core laptop, which still runs Windows 8.1 (blech) has enough oomph to handle everything I throw at it (well, everything except Fallout 4, but that's a GPU issue).

And hiding something is as quick and easy as hitting ALT-TAB or clicking the minimize button.
Well his CPU probably has vt-d support as I don't think a laptop cpu is having a xxxk-cpu. But what he's hiding is not the window, it's more likely to be the company's telemetry on their laptops. If you use a text editor through a virtualbox VM on your old laptop, I'm quite sure you will notice the lag between pressing the characters and them popping up on the screen, I would guess 200-400 ms latency. It would require a more advanced setup with VMWare before it would feel alright. How much have you tried to virtualise?

Mipmip

Mostly harmless
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Neat update, thanks! I assume the ending is nigh; does Mipmip have a rough roadmap? Will there be multiple endings?
Glad you liked it! :)
The roadmap shifted slightly with the recent artist change. But yeah baring any other unforeseen hurdles, the next update is going to be the endings update.
The current plan regarding endings is to have one absolute fail "bad" ending. And one "good" ending with a few branching points depending on how far you went with each stats training, and a few other minor decisions. But as with any other instance of future-talk, things might change as the version is developed.

waffel Awolfe
The reality of the business trip situation was a severe lack of private time, which made the entire point moot. But don't let that disturb your interesting discussion :D

waffel

Donor
Aug 29, 2017
Glad you liked it! :)
The roadmap shifted slightly with the recent artist change. But yeah baring any other unforeseen hurdles, the next update is going to be the endings update.
The current plan regarding endings is to have one absolute fail "bad" ending. And one "good" ending with a few branching points depending on how far you went with each stats training, and a few other minor decisions. But as with any other instance of future-talk, things might change as the version is developed.

waffel Awolfe
The reality of the business trip situation was a severe lack of private time, which made the entire point moot. But don't let that disturb your interesting discussion :D
Well now you know that there are awesome solutions to some of your other first world problems :p

Saitama520

Jun 16, 2018
I downloaded this on a whim and feel obligated to ask; why is this game using over 50% of CPU (3.5Ghz, quadcore) and around 60% GPU (GTX 1080) capacity on the main menu whenever the game has focus, along with occasional network activity to...something? And this continues throughout the game proper? I don't see that kind of usage from intensive 3D games that require far greater resources than a 2D Unity VN.

Either the developer has massively screwed up their Unity build or something somewhat nefarious has been added. My first thought is a crypto miner of some kind, but that's out of my area of expertise.

Whether by incompetence or malice, there is something VERY wrong with this game from a technical standpoint.

Edit: If you value your GPU never open this game on Fastest graphical settings.

Last edited:

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I don't know what the hell is wrong with your setup, but on my system the game never uses more than a few percent of CPU (i5 8400) and practically nothing of the GPU (GTX 1070). Before you blame the game for issues that no one else is having, try looking at your own system config.

I'm Mip's QA tester. If the game had such an issue as you seem to believe that it does I would have spotted it, reported it to him (many many months ago), and it would have been fixed before any players experienced it. Since your post was so incredibly rude and accusatory, let me just say that I can prove what I'm saying with screenshots showing the game running and what the utilization is on each of my six cores.

Saitama520

Jun 16, 2018
I'm Mip's QA tester. If the game had such an issue as you seem to believe that it does I would have spotted it, reported it to him (many many months ago), and it would have been fixed before any players experienced it. Since your post was so incredibly rude and accusatory, let me just say that I can prove what I'm saying with screenshots showing the game running and what the utilization is on each of my six cores.
And I have Shadowplay footage showing CPU/GPU activity spiking massively whenever this game has window focus. We can go this route if you'd like. No other Unity games have done this on my system.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

SShivers

Jan 27, 2018
And I have Shadowplay footage showing CPU/GPU activity spiking massively whenever this game has window focus. We can go this route if you'd like. No other Unity games have done this on my system.
Meanwhile I'm just wondering why you put a 4690K into your PC with a 1080 graphics' card. That's like buying a Ferrari only you decide to put toy car wheels on it. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Saitama520

Saitama520

Jun 16, 2018
Meanwhile I'm just wondering why you put a 4690K into your PC with a 1080 graphics' card. That's like buying a Ferrari only you decide to put toy car wheels on it. :ROFLMAO:
Was going to build a Hackintosh for shits and giggles, and stuck to a very limited hardware set to make sure it would work. Since I was never intending to play games on this machine, I just threw in a stupid-cheap GPU that I knew OS X would place nice with. Then I installed Windows to make sure everything was working fine and never looked back. It was only a couple months ago that I decided "You know, I'd like something with a little more oomph, and Nvidia is releasing their new tech and all of these GTX1080s are on sale.." and I haven't gotten around to putting a better CPU in yet.

Reactions: SShivers

SShivers

Jan 27, 2018
Was going to build a Hackintosh for shits and giggles, and stuck to a very limited hardware set to make sure it would work. Since I was never intending to play games on this machine, I just threw in a stupid-cheap GPU that I knew OS X would place nice with. Then I installed Windows to make sure everything was working fine and never looked back. It was only a couple months ago that I decided "You know, I'd like something with a little more oomph, and Nvidia is releasing their new tech and all of these GTX1080s are on sale.." and I haven't gotten around to putting a better CPU in yet.
Fair enough.:D

Mipmip

Mostly harmless
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
I'm Mip's QA tester. If the game had such an issue as you seem to believe that it does I would have spotted it.
Come on, you know the game only turns on the crypto miner when it detects an anime based user name. :ROFLMAO:

Saitama520 What you found is an interesting but seemingly device/setup specific bug (since it does not reproduce on my machine or Awolfes). Jumping directly to "malice or incompetence" is exactly the way to piss off anyone who might be inclined to help sort it out.

That being said, if anyone else is seeing spikes in CPU or GPU usage that seem unreasonable, please let me know so I can start to narrow down the issue. Thanks.

Reactions: cvbn28c and AWolfe

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
My HP laptop is even older than that CPU and I don't have performance issues. (I use my laptop when I want to test using something a lot less powerful than my high-end gaming rig PC.) My off-the-cuff guess is that his problem isn't his hardware but most likely it's something he's done (or not done) with his system config. It would help to know which version of Windows he's using, how up to date his OS patching is, and what other apps and services are running at the same time as the game.

Saitama520

Jun 16, 2018
Fun fact: my fresh install of a Windows 10 (v1903) Virtual Machine does the exact same thing (ignore Win7 GPU usage; it didn't do that in any other test I did with the VM; CPU usage did not change). So either Unity 2018.3.0f2 has a very strange relationship with my processor or your game is doing something that it should not be doing.

OH HEY I FIGURED OUT WHAT'S GOING ON

FUCKINGUNITY.PNG

Through the power of GABEN I added an FPS counter on a hunch. See that little number in the upper right corner? 4910 FPS.

The frame rate appears to be completely unlocked when the game is launched on the Fastest graphical quality, which for some reason Unity chose to default to when I first launched the game. The reason neither of you are experiencing this is because you're not launching the game on that same graphical quality. Once I changed it, the game was locked at 60FPS as it should have been.

So, not malice. Sorry for that.

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
The reason neither of you are experiencing this is because you're not launching the game on that same graphical quality.
I always play on best quality (and I always change from whatever a game's default settings are). Typically, if a game is going to break it'll be when you push the engine's limits, not when you set them to minimum (which is what best speed does). Unity has many quirks. Congrats, you seem to have found a new one. Well, at least new to me (and probably a lot of other people).

Mipmip

Mostly harmless
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Saitama520 Awolfe
Yup, after some poking around, it turns out the nice people at Unity thought It'd be good to forcefully disable vsync on the "fast" and "fastest" quality settings by default. literally took ticking two checkboxes to resolve. But damn they hid those boxes well. Nice catch! Report could (and should) have been worded nicer, but still, credit where credit is due.

4.10 star(s) 43 Votes