4.80 star(s) 71 Votes

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
I have to agree with you. While Rance is funny, i think it is morally reprensible and ironically goes kind of against the fetish to romantice rape as much as the rance series does. It feels like a justification. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you, a fantasy is a fantasy and i said before one can enjoy (almost) anything as long as it stays in said realm.
There is a real way to face rape in your game and a animu way to face it.
I talked this with a friend and we found that there is a perfect example of this problem in two games here. Harem(RIP) VS Harem collector. They are basically the same game in the basis, but soo different at the same time. In one you ''animu rape'' people, that it, you prive them of free will, force yourself into them, and ruin their lives just for them to fall in love with you and have a lovely harem with everyone happy in the end. While in the other game, YOU ACTUALLY RAPE AND ENSLAVE PEOPLE. The girls hate you for this most of the time, they try to fight back and ruin your plans only to face even worse fates in the end, and the game lets you know well and clear YOU ARE THE BAD GUY HERE. That is in my opinion the difference between Black souls and Rance too. I like Rance but there is no way i would put him above Black souls. I genuily consider this franchise a master piece.
Edit: Also it feel wrong when Rance sees something bad happening to a girl later and he now care how they feel like...huh?
Yeah, the rance series, and Rance himself, have never been consistent, so it's been super hard to take the franchise seriously. In fact, it's like it's designed to not be taken seriously, which, given the subject and the fact that you're expected to fap to it, doesn't sound like the best design choice. I'd agree that series like Black Souls are definitely far above it in terms of quality. It's just a different breed of game, whereas the Rance series relies too much on far outdated views, morals, and humor, stuff that most people don't like anymore, at least not romanticized in such a way. The only reason it stayed alive as long as it did was probably because of a strong cult following, but even that couldn't sustain the series forever. The time for it to die has long since passed, and time finally caught up to it. However, the developers of the series, AliceSoft, have quite a few other games that follow the same theme, that being oddly romanticized rape, so I'm unsure that even with the rance series having ended if the company is going to do anything different anytime soon, outside of the rare exception. That's just what I've heard about that developer though, so I may be wrong on that. It does make sense though, once a developer, especially an old one, relies so much on one theme, it becomes really hard to branch out of it, so they don't.

Last edited:

Mephistofeles

Jul 9, 2017
Yeah, the rance series, and Rance himself, have never been consistent, so it's been super hard to take the franchise seriously. In fact, it's like it's designed to not be taken seriously, which, given the subject and the fact that you're expected to fap to it, doesn't sound like the best design choice. I'd agree that series like Black Souls are definitely far above it in terms of quality. It's just a different breed of game, whereas the Rance series relies too much on far outdated views, morals, and humor, stuff that most people don't like anymore, at least not romanticized in such a way. The only reason it stayed alive as long as it did was probably because of a strong cult following, but even that couldn't sustain the series forever. The time for it to die has long since passed, and time finally caught up to it. However, the developers of the series, AliceSoft, have quite a few other games that follow the same theme, that being oddly romanticized rape, so I'm unsure that even with the rance series having ended if the company is going to do anything different anytime soon, outside of the rare exception. That's just what I've heard about that developer though, so I may be wrong on that. It does make sense though, once a developer, especially an old one, relies so much on one theme, it becomes really hard to branch out of it, so they don't.
I think it is kind ofl the point of the Rance series and similar games to not be taken seriusly. So some people who have...certain fetishes (and maybe the developers too) can enjoy them without guilt. But here is the thing, the fact that it is wrong is not just part of said fetish but also a reminder of how wrong it is in real life. That is important for me.

Mephistofeles

Jul 9, 2017
rance series were designed to be the anti - dragon quest games
I knew that, but the problem is, dragon quest stop being the standar for roleplaying games 20 years ago, but Rance is still going. (Or was going at least, i think the last Rance game released in 2014?)
It will be a weird comparation but...look at Jojo. Phantom blood, the first part, started as a parody of 80s ultra macho muscle men anime, but it evolved in its own thing, and for good reason, since now the stereotipical anime protagonist is the absolute contrary to the MC Jojo parodied.

jsmitth529

Mar 4, 2020
I knew that, but the problem is, dragon quest stop being the standar for roleplaying games 20 years ago, but Rance is still going. (Or was going at least, i think the last Rance game released in 2014?)
It will be a weird comparation but...look at Jojo. Phantom blood, the first part, started as a parody of 80s ultra macho muscle men anime, but it evolved in its own thing, and for good reason, since now the stereotipical anime protagonist is the absolute contrary to the MC Jojo parodied.
I will forever shudder whenever someone reminds me of the teenager with thighs thicker than their torso. Eugh.

Krayn1988

Jan 18, 2019
hello I downloaded the new version of blacksoul 2 on dl site but it displays this to me when I launch the game 2021-05-09 (1).png , I have already redownloaded the games several times and unzipped them several times do you have any solutions please ?

c.o.w

Jan 5, 2018
hello I downloaded the new version of blacksoul 2 on dl site but it displays this to me when I launch the game View attachment 1185835 , I have already redownloaded the games several times and unzipped them several times do you have any solutions please ?
something something tells me you uncompress the game whitout the right unicode and gets corrupted on the extraction

left click the .rar run on japanese and then extract

Reactions: Lolicon Kami
4.80 star(s) 71 Votes