4.80 star(s) 71 Votes

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
What is the most scary/horrifying scene in the game, in your opinion. And also the most heart wrenching one.
Scary: mf'ing clown guy with a chainsaw in Queensland my first time playing, even though I was 100% expecting it; honorable mention goes to talking with Kuti in prison the first time
Horrifying: the various consequences of not dealing with Jubjub, B and C ends
Heart-wrenching: anything to do with the tragic hotel (seriously, f*ck that place)

Also, you didn't ask, but the full prison scene takes the cake for the most mind-screwy event in the entire game.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Why can’t I level?
You don't level up normally in this game. In order to level up, you have to spend souls (the currency/money) at an NPC in the Dream Library. You can get to the Dream Library by sacrificing all the souls you are carrying and using the Black Ash key item, or by dying (if you die, you can pick up all the souls you dropped by returning to wherever you died). Note that the NPC who lets you level up will not appear until you make progress in the game.

Click the link in my sig for details on how Story Progress works. The WIP comprehensive guide in its current form does a pretty good job (in my humble opinion) of explaining all of the important game mechanics and giving you a strong start.

D

Deleted member 119819

Man this game isn't so bad really but every endboss and their momma seems to have a one shot kill. It really kills all drive to play the game after a while. I mean you get over them eventually but come on! Darkest dungeon is a very successful indie game with great boss battles and not a single one but the endboss got a one hit kill.
In this game, I have everything under control, everything goes smoothly and I'm about to win this really hard battle. But UH OHHH!!!! Jabberbitch destroys your soulerino. Your dead lmao. xDxDXDXD

• Haha
Reactions: Lunarius and luxia

theman237

Nov 27, 2017
Sooo I would like to play this game, but the thing is, I'm chicken shit when it comes to scary stuff. Is this game scary?

I especially hate jump scares D:

D

Deleted member 119819

Sooo I would like to play this game, but the thing is, I'm chicken shit when it comes to scary stuff. Is this game scary?

No its not scary, there are a few jumpscares but nothing to scary. As long as you don't kill Bill you won't get any proper ones.

Zethin

Succubus Rhapsodia
Donor
May 14, 2017

There's very mild jumpscares, yes. It's only for a small portion of the game, and it's not intended to be scary.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Man this game isn't so bad really but every endboss and their momma seems to have a one shot kill. It really kills all drive to play the game after a while. I mean you get over them eventually but come on! Darkest dungeon is a very successful indie game with great boss battles and not a single one but the endboss got a one hit kill.
In this game, I have everything under control, everything goes smoothly and I'm about to win this really hard battle. But UH OHHH!!!! Jabberbitch destroys your soulerino. Your dead lmao. xDxDXDXD
Darkest Dungeon is a game where your characters die permanently. It takes time and resources to train up another character when you lose a Legend hero in the Darkest Dungeon or just to random stuff in a Champion-level dungeon, and the entire core gameplay concept is based around a rogue-lite model. The game saves automatically, and unless you manually back up your own file, you cannot undo any of your decisions. The reason bosses in Darkest Dungeon do not have cheap one-shot skills is because it would completely ruin the experience.

Black Souls punishes you for dying with a one-time semi-permanent debuff to your maximum HP that doesn't reapply itself if you die multiple times in a row, but it also rewards you by giving you an item that boosts all your stats. You lose nothing as long as you can get back to your death location to pick up your dropped souls. You can save any time you want, barring very specific circumstances (middle of a cutscene, dating Prickett, Chaos Dungeon, etc.) Death is an important part of the game, including its lore. You are expected to die multiple times and use each as a learning/growing experience.

theman237

Nov 27, 2017
There's very mild jumpscares, yes. It's only for a small portion of the game, and it's not intended to be scary.
No its not scary, there are a few jumpscares but nothing to scary. As long as you don't kill Bill you won't get any proper ones.
Okay that's somewhat reassuring. I was also snooping in the thread and someone said that the snake god curse is scary? I also saw pictures like this:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Seems pretty spooky to me lol. But again, I'm a huge pussy when it comes to this shit :p

D

Deleted member 119819

Darkest Dungeon is a game where your characters die permanently. It takes time and resources to train up another character when you lose a Legend hero in the Darkest Dungeon or just to random stuff in a Champion-level dungeon, and the entire core gameplay concept is based around a rogue-lite model. The game saves automatically, and unless you manually back up your own file, you cannot undo any of your decisions. The reason bosses in Darkest Dungeon do not have cheap one-shot skills is because it would completely ruin the experience.

Black Souls punishes you for dying with a one-time semi-permanent debuff to your maximum HP that doesn't reapply itself if you die multiple times in a row, but it also rewards you by giving you an item that boosts all your stats. You lose nothing as long as you can get back to your death location to pick up your dropped souls. You can save any time you want, barring very specific circumstances (middle of a cutscene, dating Prickett, Chaos Dungeon, etc.) Death is an important part of the game, including its lore. You are expected to die multiple times and use each as a learning/growing experience.
So? Okay, you need longer to get a lost hero back your point? Tell me what does anybody learn from a boss that has a skill that oneshots you? Besides cursing the devs name and being frustrating? I mean there really is no way to counter that either and all ways that do "handle" that sort of thing just artificially prolong the battle for no reason. Making the whole battle just a slug race.
Deep sea knight for example. This whole battle for me was:
Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike....
until he died. With the Margaret Pledge so I had two turns. Oh and MASSES of items.
Not even Dark souls the game this is based of has any Bosses that oneshot you. Or at the very least none that is easily dodged. The black knight with his huge blue sword comes to mind.

D

Deleted member 119819

Okay that's somewhat reassuring. I was also snooping in the thread and someone said that the snake god curse is scary? I also saw pictures like this:

Seems pretty spooky to me lol. But again, I'm a huge pussy when it comes to this shit :p
Yea you get that when you kill Bill the Lizard. This is the snake curse. I didn't see any of it myself, because I thought Bill is hella cute. What a soulless monster do you have to be to kill such an adorable lizard boy, huh?! A million jumpscares upon everybody who dares to defy Bill.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017

There are only a handful of events in the game that would qualify as even mildly scary (as opposed to horrifying, which much of the game is designed to be). If your SEN drops below 0, then the ambient track is replaced with much more dread-inducing stuff and creepy factor is dialed up to 11, but again, that's more disturbing than scary.

Reactions: theman237
D

Deleted member 119819

Also just opened the secret archive. Really lame if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 119819

In my opinion the scariest stuff in the game is merely "hinted" at and not shown in pictures. The corpses that jubjub left behind for example.

4.80 star(s) 71 Votes