4.80 star(s) 71 Votes

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
So? Okay, you need longer to get a lost hero back your point? Tell me what does anybody learn from a boss that has a skill that oneshots you? Besides cursing the devs name and being frustrating? I mean there really is no way to counter that either and all ways that do "handle" that sort of thing just artificially prolong the battle for no reason. Making the whole battle just a slug race.
Deep sea knight for example. This whole battle for me was:
Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike, Grit, Critical strike....
until he died. With the Margaret Pledge so I had two turns. Oh and MASSES of items.
Not even Dark souls the game this is based of has any Bosses that oneshot you. Or at the very least none that is easily dodged. The black knight with his huge blue sword comes to mind.
Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that Darkest Dungeon isn't a very good comparison.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 119819

Not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out that Darkest Dungeon isn't a very good comparison.

What do you learn from one-shots? A lot, potentially.
  1. Can you defend against the attack? How? Try Dodge and Guard and observe the damage difference, if any.
  2. Is it simply a matter of stats? If the attack doesn't overkill you by hundreds of thousands of points of damage, you're probably just not strong enough yet. If it does, it's a surefire indicator there's a "trick" to the attack (if it's a charge, break the charge; it might be a resist-able element; maybe it's always used on a certain turn).
The following applies to all games, not just Black Souls. Frustration is always the fault of the game designer, but you have to remember that it might be by design (Getting Over It is a prime example of a "game" built on player frustration and the sense of accomplishment/bragging rights that comes from success). However, brute-forcing a problem (Requiem/Grit spam for example) is a sign that either A. you, the player, are simply bad at the game or have failed to grasp some key element of the problem, or B. the game designer has failed to communicate the proper solution, often a mixture of both.

You're right, Dark Souls as a series generally doesn't have any bosses that one-shot you (unless the attack has a clear tell or easily avoided/dealt with). Black Souls is the same. The difference between Dark Souls and Black Souls is that Black Souls does a terrible job of explaining all your options. Oh, and it's a game with even more broken setups than anything that has ever been available in Dark Souls.
Those that can be stunned by break are obvious or those where you just have not the appropriate level yet. But I'm precisely talking about one-shot attacks like that attack from Jabberwok or that deep sea knight and many others.
You can only cheese it. I mean you can use dodge instead of grit but in the end you have the same thing. Not to mention that grit would be the better solution since you might just be unlucky. That is why any RPG game usually refuses to create any character that uses oneshots. Its cheap, its uncounterable and more often than not its down to sheer luck.
There is a different kind of frustration against a boss that plays by the rules and one who doesn't. In fact the best course of action for such a boss with oneshot attacks are to pack out good ole' cheat engine and create your own oneshot attack in that way.
Dev cannot complain if you fight unfair mechanics with unfair mechanics. Just need higher agility than the enemy and there you go. "Fairplay" reintroduced by the player.
Even if Black Souls would be better with "explaining options" I'm playing a mage character with all kinds of utility. Nothing worked. I had to remap my entire character to be more like a warrior to stand a chance.

hahahaZXC

Sep 9, 2017
Anyone have info about Cheshire cat ?
I don't really remember any clue about her origin besides the talk with her in those "normal" ends

theman237

Nov 27, 2017
There are only a handful of events in the game that would qualify as even mildly scary (as opposed to horrifying, which much of the game is designed to be). If your SEN drops below 0, then the ambient track is replaced with much more dread-inducing stuff and creepy factor is dialed up to 11, but again, that's more disturbing than scary.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I appreciate you telling me all of the scary stuff you can remember! I’ll try out this game, but I definitely won’t be using headphones haha.

D

Deleted member 119819

Also I hear a lot about a "tragic hotel?" Not quite sure what people mean with this. I think I did visit every place and almost got all the endings by now. Is there something I missed?

hahahaZXC

Sep 9, 2017
1589582681728.png
Ok so I was checking the wiki and it showed me that there are some events of the cat right here
Anyone ever trigger that event ? ( I tried reaching progress 10, doing new lap, checking after killing the cat, checking the basement after end G, nothing work so far, or maybe you need to talk to it in all location ? )

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Those that can be stunned by break are obvious or those where you just have not the appropriate level yet. But I'm precisely talking about one-shot attacks like that attack from Jabberwok or that deep sea knight and many others.
You can only cheese it. I mean you can use dodge instead of grit but in the end you have the same thing. Not to mention that grit would be the better solution since you might just be unlucky. That is why any RPG game usually refuses to create any character that uses oneshots. Its cheap, its uncounterable and more often than not its down to sheer luck.
There is a different kind of frustration against a boss that plays by the rules and one who doesn't. In fact the best course of action for such a boss with oneshot attacks are to pack out good ole' cheat engine and create your own oneshot attack in that way.
Dev cannot complain if you fight unfair mechanics with unfair mechanics. Just need higher agility than the enemy and there you go. "Fairplay" reintroduced by the player.
Even if Black Souls would be better with "explaining options" I'm playing a mage character with all kinds of utility. Nothing worked. I had to remap my entire character to be more like a warrior to stand a chance.
There are no set class archetypes in Black Souls since equipment is so crucial. You would need to grind an obscene amount for your stats to become so imbalanced. There are very, very few true instant-death attacks that aren't breakable (come to think of it, I can't recall any that aren't specifically unbreakable charge attacks, so that means they are telegraphed by a unique state as well). As for specific answers to the bosses you mentioned:
  • Jabberwock: Soul Break is unbreakable, not unavoidable. 30% evasion gives you 100% chance to evade with Dodge.
  • Deep Sea Knight: DLC boss, so some shenanigans are expected, but physical resist says hi. Stun also works wonders on this boss if you can stick the ailment (he has 85% resistance to it). It will remove his charging state if you stun him during it, and if you stun him after Indignation, he will skip the one turn the buff lasts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 119819

There are no set class archetypes in Black Souls since equipment is so crucial. You would need to grind an obscene amount for your stats to become so imbalanced. There are very, very few true instant-death attacks that aren't breakable (come to think of it, I can't recall any that aren't specifically unbreakable charge attacks, so that means they are telegraphed by a unique state as well). As for specific answers to the bosses you mentioned:

Jabberwock: Soul Break is unbreakable, not unavoidable. 30% evasion gives you 100% chance to evade with Dodge.
Deep Sea Knight: DLC boss, so some shenanigans are expected, but physical resist says hi. The main danger comes from Indignation -> Crushing Depths -> Anchor, which is truly bullsh*t of the highest order. It's worth noting that Stun works wonders on this boss, and he takes double damage from the Lightning-element.
There is no indication for Soul break. She only uses it in her first turn after that its completely random there is not the slightest hint she's about to use it again.
The deep sea knight as to be cheesed there is no other way. Spamming either grit, dodge or whatever. Occasionally a stun, I did that too in his second form but that's about it. Its slow. Boring and not rewarding at all.

D

Deleted member 119819

Also I just reach the "true" reverse ending. Are 3 god damn endbosses really necessary?

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
There is no indication for Soul break. She only uses it in her first turn after that its completely random there is not the slightest hint she's about to use it again.
The deep sea knight as to be cheesed there is no other way. Spamming either grit, dodge or whatever. Occasionally a stun, I did that too in his second form but that's about it. Its slow. Boring and not rewarding at all.
I thought you were talking about the Jabberwock, the Wicked Dragon, not the... more monstrous one. Jabberwock, the Abominable Evil uses Soul Break every 8 turns starting from turn 1. That version of her is one of the many bosses that follow a set pattern of attacks.

D

Deleted member 119819

I thought you were talking about the Jabberwock, the Wicked Dragon, not the... more monstrous one. Jabberwock, the Abominable Evil uses Soul Break every 8 turns starting from turn 1. That version of her is one of the many bosses that follow a set pattern of attacks.
Made it to the end boss the crawling melting face one. It has two moves. Loading its OP attack and doing its OP attack. "Good game design" right there.
You cannot poison it, you cannot set it on flames, you cannot dodge it... Ugh.... Guard, Damage, Guard, Damage, Guard, Damage....
Don't get me wrong game is great, when you start out afterwards its just painful. I can completely understand anybody who just packs out cheats by now.

D

Deleted member 119819

Is there any point in collecting all the fairy tales?

Checkman

May 24, 2017
Black Souls wiki states that to achieve B end you must MAX pledge all heroines except JubJub, Jabberwock, Bandersnach, and Kuti, yet I achieved B end without pledging Victoria at all, I did MAX pledge other heroines. After that I killed them all and still got the ending. What up with that ?

4.80 star(s) 71 Votes