e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
I was interested in where the characters came from because I liked the art style. All of the images had listed where they came from but I couldn't figure out about those three. If you know then would you mind telling me?
Oh, you were looking for the source of the pictures used (not where the characters come from in the game) (y). (I misunderstood you & sorry I have no idea where to look. Saberoge should be able to help next time he pops by. :))

e-d

Saberoge

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2019
I was interested in where the characters came from because I liked the art style. All of the images had listed where they came from but I couldn't figure out about those three. If you know then would you mind telling me?
No problem. They’re from Dai Gyakuten! from Dieselmine, and according to the gallery I got it from, the artist is ‘Akagi,’ who does a lot of work for that company. Looking into it, it turns out there’s also an Ace Attorney spinoff game by that name, which I'm guessing is what threw off your search results.

Reactions: e-disfunction

maxdrell

Jun 7, 2017
No problem. They’re from Dai Gyakuten! from Dieselmine, and according to the gallery I got it from, the artist is ‘Akagi,’ who does a lot of work for that company. Looking into it, it turns out there’s also an Ace Attorney spinoff game by that name, which I'm guessing is what threw off your search results.
Yo, any more projects like this in the pipeline? Been coming back to this since I played it and would love to see more games since you clearly have a good talent in this area.

Saberoge

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2019
Yo, any more projects like this in the pipeline? Been coming back to this since I played it and would love to see more games since you clearly have a good talent in this area.
Wish I had better news for you, but coding this one took so long I had to take some time off once it was done and then, well, 2020 happened. Stuff’s been hectic since, so I haven’t had a lot of time to put into game development. But once I have the time, I really would like to get back to it.

But thank you for your continued interest. Honestly, it hadn’t even occurred to me there were people out there waiting for my second act.

e-disfunction

Jun 1, 2019
... But thank you for your continued interest. Honestly, it hadn’t even occurred to me there were people out there waiting for my second act.
A few times in this thread you have have alluded to a possible "something else" or at least have not closed that door entirely. So, there are probably a number of us lurking about that would greatly appreciate and spread the news of a "second act"--made with either original or borrowed assets. (y)

e-d

MIC132

May 14, 2018
Damn this game is amazing! I love this type of writing and humor. Also no easy feat meshing so many assets together, that's impressive in it's own way. And the complexity of this game.. Did you use some flowcharts to not get lost in the script? I can't even imagine keeping all that straight.

That said, I wanted to complete all achievements but I'm missing the following:
Friended
Insight
Multiplication and Division
Saved Everybody
Smile Cracked
The Rest of the Way Out

I have all the endings (plus the Native ending, it's not in "endings"), but I didn't do all of them "the walkthrough way", since I used it only for those I missed myself.

Could I get some hints on those achievements? This game has a ridiculous amount of combinations.

Saberoge

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2019
Damn this game is amazing! I love this type of writing and humor. Also no easy feat meshing so many assets together, that's impressive in it's own way. And the complexity of this game.. Did you use some flowcharts to not get lost in the script? I can't even imagine keeping all that straight.

That said, I wanted to complete all achievements but I'm missing the following:
Friended
Insight
Multiplication and Division
Saved Everybody
Smile Cracked
The Rest of the Way Out

I have all the endings (plus the Native ending, it's not in "endings"), but I didn't do all of them "the walkthrough way", since I used it only for those I missed myself.

Could I get some hints on those achievements? This game has a ridiculous amount of combinations.
Thanks!

I did try flowcharts, but I kept running out of space on the page. It wound up being easier just doing my own playthroughs and skipping to each choice to make sure it led where I wanted to once I wrote it. I’m sure there was an easier way, looking back….

I’ll do the best I can with the achievement hints, but lemme warn you in advance, there’s a reason somebody else wrote the walkthrough for my game.

Hints:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If you ever have the time, I’d love to hear how you wound up navigating the game and what routes you ended up getting in what order, especially without using the walkthrough.

MIC132

May 14, 2018
If you ever have the time, I’d love to hear how you wound up navigating the game and what routes you ended up getting in what order, especially without using the walkthrough.
I'll try to do this now, while it's still kinda fresh in my mind (I basically binged the whole game over two days), before I start on those achievements.

So, first run. I named my native girl Tris (dunno why, just first thing that came to my mind after I figured there was no default like in some VNs, I suck at naming) and went to look for other survivors. Since I later always reloaded to the first choice instead of starting a new game, the name stuck for all the routes.
Now, on the beach I must say I (initially) missed all of the branches that require you to tell Bobbi that there was a native, but that you are probably alone. On my first rune I went with "there is a native" and "I'm sure someone made it" (those would be "my choices"), and later on I tried going full "we are alone" with the predictable effect of sex with Bobbi, but I never figured to try that combination.
Then I went with Melendy to check the fires, enjoyed the sex zombies (always a fun concept and I really liked your implementation and explanation later), and went through the machine myself. I stayed with Regina (Mort is a good guy, didn't feel like stealing his girl) and got frustrated with the choices (since apparently there is no good way to do it?) and then went to the orgy, mostly since I wanted to know what caused the zombies.

That was my first try. From there I experimented with variations of this route (I usually save at major choices, then once I get an ending, I go back to the last choice, etc.), then the one where you fuck Bobbi at the start, then with the route where you follow native girl. I went back a choice every time I ran out of options, though I didn't save at every choice, more like every 2-3, also depending on the nature of the choice. It should be rather easy to see (especially from your perspective), which routes I ended up on.

That's my general approach to typical VNs with many choices (obviously doesn't apply to games with clear route flags, or very few choices): first go fully through using choices I find correct or most fitting for me, and then backtrack starting at the end (kinda ends up being a depth-first search of a binary tree, now that I think about it). Obviously I don't check every possible combination, especially in a game with as many choices as this one, so I missed stuff where it wasn't obvious that choosing something differently early on would change something much later.

Also as I said I completely missed the major branch where you go to the cave with Bobbi (and all the resulting routes), until the walkthrough brought me there. Then I explored by myself from there until I ran out of obvious paths again.

I think if I don't count the endings I figured myself after being led to that additional branch then I needed the walkthrough for maybe, hmm, 7-8 endings? I don't remember exactly

I still don't get how some of them work, for example what specifically splits the two different "crazy future MJ" endings ("Dad End" and the other one), especially since for those two I think the walkthrough takes drastically different paths. This game has some really complex relationships between choices.

I hope you don't have anything against me possibly un-ren'py-ing the game (assuming it's doable) after I get everything to look at the inner workings. I'm a programmer and I love looking at ren'py game scripts (after completing them, out of curiosity. not to cheat/etc.) I still have DDLC decompiled stashed somewhere.

Saberoge

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you! It means a lot when someone takes the time to help me understand how my game’s playing out for the audience.

I still don't get how some of them work, for example what specifically splits the two different "crazy future MJ" endings ("Dad End" and the other one), especially since for those two I think the walkthrough takes drastically different paths. This game has some really complex relationships between choices.
Thanks, though in that case, it’s really only one variable that separates them:
I hope you don't have anything against me possibly un-ren'py-ing the game (assuming it's doable) after I get everything to look at the inner workings. I'm a programmer and I love looking at ren'py game scripts (after completing them, out of curiosity. not to cheat/etc.) I still have DDLC decompiled stashed somewhere.
Sure, I always figured somebody would. I even had a crazy idea to hide a commentary track in there in the notes, but then I realized that 1. Nobody wants to read my multi-paragraph breakdown of the opening Dom/Melendy conversation on both a characterization and metafictional level, and 2. I’d have to keep writing commentary like that for the whole damn game. And it’s not like I could throw in some jokes to punch it up, every joke I had about the game went into the game.

Just please bear in mind this is the first game I ever completed, so it includes what I now realize are some embarrassingly convoluted ways of coding things, some of which should’ve taken all of one line.

For "Friended", I correctly deduced that by "amuse" you meant to say out loud the thing in the cave, and then to "console" was choosing correct option when finding her in the jungle, but, turns out it's not as easy as then just escaping with her. I did this on at least two routes where you end on the boat with Bobbi, and didn't get it. I only got it once I did in the specific route for "Saved everyone", so there either is something else that counts, or the check is only done on that route.
This is probably just a good argument for me not writing my own walkthroughs, but just in case it wasn’t my explanation that was wrong and there’s a bug in there, what endings did you not get that achievement with?

MIC132

May 14, 2018
Awp, yep, my mistake explaining it then. Sorry ‘bout that.
Don't worry. I'm actually surprised you were able to give such good hints considering it's already been a while since you released the game (and longer since you put those achievement in those places, I presume), with such a complicated game. Unless you had them written down somewhere.

Kuato

Feb 27, 2018
This game is a masterpiece, like really. It reminded me of Umineko when they cry. The settings and the whole breaking the fourth wall. Man you are a genious and you should keep making these kind of games

Siphon

Aug 18, 2016
Huh, well done. This is surprisingly good, managed to get about 20 or so of the endings before having to break out the walkthrough. Still have a few achievements bugging me, anyone know how to get HashtagFeminism, Corporate Acknolwedgement, and Dry Spell Ended?

Saberoge

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2019
Huh, well done. This is surprisingly good, managed to get about 20 or so of the endings before having to break out the walkthrough.
Thanks! Can I ask which ones you got? I always wonder about the order people get the endings in.
Still have a few achievements bugging me, anyone know how to get HashtagFeminism, Corporate Acknolwedgement, and Dry Spell Ended?
Been a while since I wrote it, and my memory has let me down on this before, but IIRC:

Siphon

Aug 18, 2016
Thanks! Can I ask which ones you got? I always wonder about the order people get the endings in.
I can't recall the ones I finished before, but I do remember a few of the ones I had to break out the walkthrough for were Mytharc, New Beginning, True End, King End, Dread End, Weiss End, Dad End, and MJ End. The last three were MJ End (she was my favorite, rip my dreams of a threesome end with her and Melendy without zombie sex), King End, and True End (felt appropriate to do it last).
And thanks for the tips, those were bothering me.

4.70 star(s) 15 Votes