4.10 star(s) 167 Votes

JustHeahTaFap

Apr 11, 2020
I honestly forgot that he keeps doing reworks instead on focusing on newer content.
This is BEYOND asking for a miracle, but he needs to do BOTH. I don't mind reworks, since it seems he likes doing them regardless of feedback, but it'd be nice if he didn't make it the whole focus of an update, you know?

Reactions: Uzumakii

tretch95

Nov 5, 2022
Only crap games in the update ticker for 2 weeks in a row?

Time to check the "Manor" thread, where people are still obsessing hard over a ship that sunk so many years ago

melakuu

Oct 21, 2019
It's not regulated and that's the precise point! Patronage is an entirely different concept and if you look back centuries ago, creators supported by patrons were often sitting on their asses instead of creating, and when they did, they still did it on commission, so they were paid extra.
In the context of adult games, it's similar to a subscription services offered by places like Lesson of Passion Gold or Meet'n'Fuck, except with subscriptions, you see the content up front (through demos and old releases) and there are regular updates with no pre-releases, few sneak peeks and the content is published finished.
But there is no flexibility. If you were looking for a specific art style or a specific fetish, you would be out of luck.
Patreon put this model completely on its head. There are hundreds of creators who cater to every niche, but it came with scammers, and they were on Patreon ever since the beginning. I've seen creators who only put together a basic game to get a few patrons, but if none were coming, they reused the art in another game under another account, until a game took hold and they could continue from there.

By whom? By mods at F95. No such tag exists on Patreon.

I agree, but it's completely on people. There's no incentive for Patreon to introduce regulation or policing. It would lead to at least some patrons stopping support, while at the same time it would cost Patreon money, so they would have to increase their fees, which would drive away even more patrons and creators, which means they would have to increase their fees more.
All of that would achieve precisely nothing with some creators who are actively scamming people (since Patreon wouldn't even flag them, as they're ostensivly active).

There's no real solution to this problem. Even discord or other channels don't come in useful since people will ignore those who tell them to stop paying and not all patrons even use them.
I just realized how I wish to know how to do as you did and do small quotes on my message to make the message more organized, so bear with me lol

In a perfect situation, Patreon or whatever crowdfunding service, would moderate projects. But how? Some people start a crowdfunding to back up an engineering project. Some people start crowdfunding to bankroll a book or a comic book. Some people do it to bankroll a game. So there is no metric to define a reasonable amount of time to deliver a product. It would be amazing if they did, but it's almost impossible. And let's be real here, they don't care as long people are still giving money to them.

What I think is a way more realistic approach is, for the patrons themselves, stop funding those projects and be aware of this practice. So in the future, devs would know that if they want to be paid, they need to work hard.

There are tons of good teams that deliver their products not only in a reasonable amount of time but, constantly. For example the team responsible for "Love & Sex Second Base". The game is buggy as hell, some of the art is not very good. But they do work hard and deliver their updates constantly. Same as the team behind "Being a Dik", although their updates may take some time, they still deliver them in a reasonable amount of time.

Of course, I'll not talk about every single game out there, we "all" know who the good and "bad" developers are.

About the "literally being abandoned", yes, I was referring to F95, which I assume is one of the largest forums(if not THE largest) for adult games.

In the end, is up to the people rewarding bad behaviour. Although I've read someone mention in this thread, about people paying like $1 and then forgetting about it and paying for it forever. This makes a lot of sense, I also paid for stuff monthly that I never used and forgot about it and kept paying.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
I just realized how I wish to know how to do as you did and do small quotes on my message to make the message more organized, so bear with me lol

In a perfect situation, Patreon or whatever crowdfunding service, would moderate projects. But how? Some people start a crowdfunding to back up an engineering project. Some people start crowdfunding to bankroll a book or a comic book. Some people do it to bankroll a game. So there is no metric to define a reasonable amount of time to deliver a product. It would be amazing if they did, but it's almost impossible. And let's be real here, they don't care as long people are still giving money to them.

What I think is a way more realistic approach is, for the patrons themselves, stop funding those projects and be aware of this practice. So in the future, devs would know that if they want to be paid, they need to work hard.
Patreon should definitely take a more proactive approach. There are creators who have not logged into the site for months on end and they still allow them to receive money. At the very least, to weed out the worst offenders, Patreon should:
1. Add mandatory tags like "main content", "fixes", "news/updates" and "side content". Main content is the one that matters. Patrons should be able to easily vote that posts tagged "main content" are not a true release, and if enough people vote, it's automatically marked as side content.
2. With that in place: Display a warning if a developer has not released main content for more than 2 months.
3. Automatically suspend payments if the creator:
- has not released main content for more than 6? 12? months
- has not logged into the site for more than one month and has not marked his account as being on vacation
- has not collected payments for more than two months

This is just an outline of an idea and just a starting point, but it could be refined over time.

About the "literally being abandoned", yes, I was referring to F95, which I assume is one of the largest forums(if not THE largest) for adult games.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say most patrons are not on these forums and most people active here are not supporting creators on Patreon.

In the end, is up to the people rewarding bad behaviour. Although I've read someone mention in this thread, about people paying like $1 and then forgetting about it and paying for it forever. This makes a lot of sense, I also paid for stuff monthly that I never used and forgot about it and kept paying.
That's down on Paypal. Paypal enables this behavior because you renew your credit card with them only when it expires. If you had to renew your card details with all recipients, it would suddenly be a chore and people would naturally review all their subscriptions at least once every five years.

Last edited:

dzenpie

Jul 24, 2021
Patreon should definitely take a more proactive approach.
they will never. not in a million years. they're also profiting from it. they'll lose maybe millions if they do that. business is business, money is money, greed is greed. that's much about it.

also, to add to the note that's one of the reasons why most creators from online platforms like to work online. they get paid even without doing anything and will not hold accountable for it.

fotogaik

May 13, 2017
They totally can and they are running a huge compliance risk if they don't. They shut down Palmer's patreon the instant they found out he passed away and wouldn't be open to discussing any transfer of rights to Love Joint.

The compliance risk is that they are taking money from people and transferring it to an entity that might not exist (whether deceased or dissolved), which gives time for hackers to gain access to such accounts. So at the very least, they should be able to block transfers to inactive accounts, regardless of whether they have active patrons or not.
On the same note, they should be required by compliance to investigate patron accounts that show no site activity for a long time and suspend them.

It's that or they risk problems in the future.

4.10 star(s) 167 Votes