RPGM Abandoned Bounty Hunter Samus [v0.1] [STARPARTY]

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
Again, not a lawyer, but art is a whole different can of worms:
  • Legally, art (as in drawings and pictures, anyway) is better protected. At least, if you're not straight plagiarizing - and even then, hitting plagiarizers can be hard because of the legal protections art gets.
  • Even if art wasn't legally protected, there's so much that hitting them with takedowns just isn't feasible.
  • Even if it was made feasible, hitting fan art (even 18+ stuff) could cause serious negative press, and probably a deluge more art in the process.
  • Even if there was no chance of backlash, art isn't what they sell.
The latter point is why I understand they go after games. They make games. There is some legal principal about needing to actively protect your copyright for it to remain valid*. Takedowns/C&D's tend to be the easiest way to do this. There are other ways (i.e. legally giving them their blessing, buying the game outright, etc) but they tend to be kinda costly and complicated compared to the latter.

Now, this is mainly just me theorizing here, but I think the other projects were only hit after full release because Nintendo didn't want to actually suppress those games, just do the legal low-effort due diligence. While it is their territory, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that they lost any significant profit over them. And I reckon they hit after release because they weren't doing anything to particularly spoil Ninty's generally "family"-friendly image. A good fan-made game is still kinda good advertising (unless you made a shit game and they're doing it to show you up, anyway).

BHS is very much an adult game, and has rape in it. This is something they would want to suppress because it spoils their image. It was also arguably being "sold," with regards to having a patreon for it - IIRC the other projects weren't monetized, and that might be why they're suing here, beyond wanting to discourage other 18+ games**. I also don't think it qualifies as a parody either, as it doesn't really parody anything. It's just straight-up a Metroid game they didn't authorize. Again, hindsight, but they really should have filed the serial numbers off and slapped a new coat of paint on the story. Still sucks that it's gone but not too surprising.

*I think the idea behind that is so that you can't just wait for someone to make a successful thing with your IP, put in a ton of work, then sue them for it when they've got a bunch of cash. You either stop them, agree something beforehand, or let anyone have it.
**I also reckon this is why Pokémon Ecchi version is actually still around despite being 18+ - no Patreon afaik. And they probably do want to take down 18+ art of their games because of their desire to maintain their image, but all of the above gets in the way. Basically, don't worry about art getting taken down until Shadman gets hit with anything.

Reactions: sauv_ and Kyra197

sauv_

Oct 15, 2018
Appreciate the response, thanks dude.

but they really should have filed the serial numbers off and slapped a new coat of paint on the story.
Do you think this would still be possible for them? Even if they still are in the cross hairs.

SteamedBean

Apr 18, 2018
So.... Well the dream is dead guys... I don't know WHY Nintendo is agressive af with fan-games to be honest... Don't think he can say he was taking the money for funding development... Coz he didnt cash on the december or something ? Idk he may as well just change the character's names and tweak the suit and Bang a Game of his own seems like a waste almost finishing ver 0.2 to get fucked days before release

So any idea how to follow what Will this dude do next is he going to conserve the StarParty name or?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019
To all the couch lawyers out here (I am one of them, by the way): Global distribution, making money off of it and the fraktal fucking nightmare that is international IP protection, anything goes. They can drag you in front of silly jurisdictions on often enough flimsy justifications, its on you to get that sorted afterwards, costing time and money. Also, Nintendo is very liberal in SLAPP suits. They don't have to win in the US for example, they just have to bankrupt you. In civilized societies the litigant has to pay all the costs accrued during a frivolous legal dispute (including the defendants legal expenses) but not in the US. A company like Nintendo gives no fucks whatsoever about a million or 3 in legal costs to make an example of you, you will care about the 100k debt that you will rack up. You can use the letter informing you of the formal dismissal of the case as a blanket at night in your cardboard box when the dust settles.
Just being in the right means shit these days. There are just no laws on the books that adequately deter companies or simply very rich assholes from carpet bombing you with frivolous bullshit lawsuits. (or even justified lawsuits that might finally define clear borders of IP protection...) In the dystopian nightmare that is my ideal world, a company caught doing that sort of shit should be required to pay at least 100 times the damages to their potential victim, but well, we can't pick the nightmare we live in. I'd be having tea with Nyarlathotep if that was the case.

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
Do you think this would still be possible for them? Even if they still are in the cross hairs.
Possible but not probable. I'm willing to bet that any deal or w/e they do will include a clause about not continuing the game, regardless of how enforcable that is, and that likely includes carrying on but with a different name and story. Even if not, Nintendo might not be happy with just changing up the story, as they've already kinda gone too far. Or the lawsuit could have put them off game making entirely. Though, I guess I could see them coming back to make something different if they really need the money now.

If they had started at that point then I think it's possible they may not have had a problem, though, depending on what's changed. Third Crisis basically did that and seems to be going strong.

Reactions: sauv_

TerumiNin

Jan 9, 2019
I would think it's because he was trying to make money off of it. I just checked a couple of other fan made games containing Nintendo properties and they're still available after (at least) 7 years with one still being worked on.

Reactions: ghost5555512

voidzone247

Mar 12, 2017
Shame. I hope he'll/they'll consider rereleasing under a new name. I think you can easily fly something like this under the radar if you just change some names around and as long as you're using your own art there's not much they can do.

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes