RPGM Abandoned Bounty Hunter Samus [v0.1] [STARPARTY]

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes
D

Deleted member 405531

Yea, I don't think I got kicked so probably it's gone.

Don't want to start any bad rumors but some ppl are saying he was active in another discord channel for game creators and that he had a mental breakdown because of recent events. Don't know if it's true tho. Can any1 confirm?

Bladebur

Apr 27, 2019
Damn, I missed the news. It's sad to see the game gone, as it was looking good... In hindsight, this was obviously coming, considering it was about a Nintendo game. Better be safe than sorry and use the 'loosely inspired by' route instead, or at least make sure there is no money involved.

That being said, I'm a bit surprised about Nintendo suddenly coming out of the blue and harassing some random dude with a 'now you will give us your money, or else' notice. I mean, doesn't this kind of thing need to be settled after a lawsuit has been filled and after some kind of due process? Private companies shouldn't have any weight to go around sending fines to people just because.

I mean, I'm sure Nintendo is in their right and this could end pretty bad since there is rape and money involved, but I'm still surprised about how this didn't start and end with a simple cease & desist letter. In fact, I had not heard of any fan games being fined for copyright violation. Plenty of shutdowns, sure, but a penalty fee?

Deathwings

Aug 20, 2017
Damn, I missed the news. It's sad to see the game gone, as it was looking good... In hindsight, this was obviously coming, considering it was about a Nintendo game. Better be safe than sorry and use the 'loosely inspired by' route instead, or at least make sure there is no money involved.

That being said, I'm a bit surprised about Nintendo suddenly coming out of the blue and harassing some random dude with a 'now you will give us your money, or else' notice. I mean, doesn't this kind of thing need to be settled after a lawsuit has been filled and after some kind of due process? Private companies shouldn't have any weight to go around sending fines to people just because.

I mean, I'm sure Nintendo is in their right and this could end pretty bad since there is rape and money involved, but I'm still surprised about how this didn't start and end with a simple cease & desist letter. In fact, I had not heard of any fan games being fined for copyright violation. Plenty of shutdowns, sure, but a penalty fee?
Nintendo is pretty rabid about its IPs. Also, LJS made the mistake of putting Samus' name right into the title. That's like, the equivalent of waving a red flag in front of a charging bull.

Mrthed

Jan 20, 2020
Since the game and Patreon are dead, does anyone have the exclusive files? Is there another name the dev is/will be posting under? An artist's twitter maybe?

PromptCritical

Mar 5, 2020
At least it died before I found out about this. Don't know why creators don't just make anonymous accounts and set up crypto payments before they get these notices. A private company has to know who to sue before their threats mean anything. Although, first mistake was using Samus's name in the title for sure.

Mistress_Kixen

Engaged Member
Jun 12, 2017
Nintendo is pretty rabid about its IPs. Also, LJS made the mistake of putting Samus' name right into the title. That's like, the equivalent of waving a red flag in front of a charging bull.
I am not surprised. Especialy after what happened with the AMOR some time ago.

Jul 22, 2017
Does anyone know something about the creator what he is up to nowadays? I want to follow him somewhere since the discord of his I was in is gone.

NeoGenesis

Jan 3, 2018
I don't think I've ever been so disappointed before. I really wonder why the dev would stop such a good project.
Probably was afraid of Nintendo throwing a C&D their way
Likely Nintendo stomping their IP hunting boots yea
If that is such a problem, couldn't they just rename the mc 'Damus Erron' and call it a day?
[Abandoned]

Well, no surprise there... Shame about the great art, though.
I don't know. I heard the dev was working on another game, and that was also a reason this one was abandoned. But it's just rumors, I know nothing certain
Actually the dev did get a C&D thrown at them by Nintendo, that's why the project got abandoned.

Here's the start of what happened for more details.

https://f95zone.to/threads/bounty-hunter-samus-v0-1-starparty.36408/post-2894608

Reactions: James Eveleth

Unknown Developer

Game Developer
Nov 4, 2017
Such a pity. The art was great... Considering that only Samus was of Nintendo property, a color swap and name swap should be enough to appease a judge, but Patreon as always don't even need to hear the accused, down with his head. Such is Patreon's democracy, a big shot accuses you and they take you down, no judge required. That's why I hate Patreon, anyone out there who works with crowdfunding should look for alternatives like subscribe star.

4.50 star(s) 2 Votes