Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
Just noticed:
Censored: No
But the overview image and one of the screenshots are censored.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Gosh I guess I'm not the only one hating the way saves keep getting borked again and again, among other stuff XD

I need to add something else to all of this..... I'm not sure how it is in the latest public update (The last time I tried it was on the previous one, 07471) but for some wierdo reason saves made on the latest versions (And thus having stuff like Akabekos) works perfectly when loaded on older game engine versions (Such as 0723), but as u guys pointed, definetly not the other way around. Which would be the logical thing to happen.

For those of you acting like "If you dont like it dont play it" or "if you think you can do better just do it yourself". First of all if I were to make a game resembling this there's a looooooooooooooot of things I would have made different from the very begining. When I see people complaining in here is because on top of a lot of shitty things something like the saves happen. But I think is good to remind a couple of them cause people seem to not remember why some of us just are so annoyed on how things are going in this game:

- Taking myself as an example, that I play without males. You have futa on futa, futa on female but never ever female on female, and before u come saying that this is a breeding game. Breeding Season, which is the game in which BotN is directly inspired, had female on female interactions and if I remember also Male on Male. Yet here u would never have a male having a submissive role, not even to harvest semen for futas.
- No anal play and how could u even ask for it when the developer himself goes on saying stuff like "Anal is inferior in every way", yeah I heard those word said by Derelict himself on a server with a lot of people who's anal was their way (Sometimes only one) of fun.

- Only since the previous version (If you play as a female or subby futa) we started to be able to have sex while being pregnant outside of S.Sex moments; u know, sometimes u just want to have fun with your nephs and you had no problem putting something like Incest (Which to me is just an extra feature, not my thing but I dont judge u if u do) that actually gives u a "debuff" in the possible neph you get out of it, yet u cant have sex while pregnant unless you're the futa giverm and always being the giver, no recieving until the "baby" is out.

- Since pretty much the Pawsmatti update it keeps making u feel (At least me, but I bet Im not the only one) like every new content or sort of "story milestone" that the game puts u to beat, is just to unlock the same things u had available pretty much from start. And Pawsmatti with the sex positions is the best example because it was with her when all that crap started (I think). Im freaking tired of staying about 4 hours stuck doing only doggy, which btw is useless if you wanna top dragons. That was added on 0730 or so and its been about 20 versions (If you dont count the hotfixes) between her adition and now. Only now Dere is gonna start adding new sex animations and in the meanwhile only a single 1 was added. It would be nice if you could choose your starting animation but no. You're stuck on doggy, and youre stuck for a loooooooooooooooong while doing it cause the grindy way to earn favor, if like me you're even slightly picky with which nephs u capture. That's gonna take u ages to unlock one of the cheapest that could be Missionary.

- I could point out about the portals thingy but I think there's not much else to add, except one thing.... Even if you were to humour Dere's vision and follow his game's new grindy gameplay mecanics, is extremely annoying the way it works. I remember not being able to past the Thriae part in 0747 cause I was for like a freaking half an hour looking for a hornball bee and none freaking spawned. And I had raised my trait a bit to enhace my chances but there was no way. After a literal half an hour I just gave up.... Another thing is that by removing the portals the grindyness became 10 times as more annoying cause u now just cant even teleport from one area to another then back to the spawn area youre looking into. Like seriously even if you're to follow the gameplay's way of playing now is just a tedious as hell thing to do. And if you're into the "lategame" species like Succuby or Seraphims, my friend, without cheats you're done.

- I could point out the futas with balls thingy that were asked a lot but what I would point is that dude.... If you're adding males with very clear and noticeable balls and have futas, u should have a better explanation than just that silly "Sugar walls before balls". But I guess for someone who's that against anal and appearently sexual diversity....

- Im not that much into either male or exotic/furry types but.... Well, let's just say they were left to root without any news so soon. I also get that he's not willing to share his work with anyone going the "full Solo" way on deving, however he does seem to not care about males yet he does want to have them ingame. Thats the perfect scenario to have someone else helping him. But again, if you're willing to have something u dont wanna work with in your game but definetly dont want to share a single byte of your work with no one else even for minor things. Then you're definetly asking for people to complain with a reason.

I honestly thought on dropping the game so many times. But is not as easy as that you know. I remember starting playing it back when it was on public 0723.1 and I remember loving it entirely, for what it was. I remember being excited about what was to come. I felt in heaven when the game added the day/night cycle, made the gameplay harder in some ways but also interesting as well... Then the "grindy" era started and yeah, many nice things were added like the futa-on-futa SSex interactions being randomized (Veeery nice btw), the adition of the new hybrids, the BJs, some of the new NPCs like Widow (Which I never was able to reach without cheats btw), some of the body physics, etc.... But at the same time it progresively felt like for any nice thing that were added, another very shitty one came behind it to tackle it down (And not necesarily just the save wipes which is something I honestly would never understand besides them being deliberately made that way).

I recommended BotN a lot before, I even helped doing some of the translations because I did wanted to support it in some way in my economic situation and I honestly dont regret it cause even today I still think those first versions were nice.... However the constant shitty aspects of it makes me think is far more worth it getting a modpack for Skyrim that adds all the functionalities that BotN has to that game. Or maybe other game. And not because I think is gonna be better at it than BotN or anything. But at least if I wanted to make it work, if I even asked for help to make it work on a comunity of it, I wouldnt have as much hostily as I found in any server, group or forum when BotN is the main topic. At least this forum before felt like the lighthearted side of BotN but even in here the hostily of BotN is invading. You guys calling each other names and you're just not noticing how far that toxicity is going.

A game is suposed to bring fun, a nice time and maybe bringing people together. Not feeling like you're wasting half a day either grinding to get something of previously available fun at all or fighting with people for properly justify or debunk something that shouldnt have happened that way in the first place no matter how you wanna put it.

lechtoyz

Sep 18, 2018
Just noticed:
Those are from super old versions. Pretty sure they're official from the creator and were originally used for the Patreon page where they couldn't show nudity. The actual game itself is completely uncensored.

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
"Breeders of the Nephelym is an (...) adventure game"

Does that mean there is an actual storyline? With a goal or an ending?
Asking, because I've seen a few Unreal engine "games" now that are just a character creator and then you can have sex with various NPCs.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
I need to add something else to all of this..... I'm not sure how it is in the latest public update (The last time I tried it was on the previous one, 07471) but for some wierdo reason saves made on the latest versions (And thus having stuff like Akabekos) works perfectly when loaded on older game engine versions (Such as 0723), but as u guys pointed, definetly not the other way around. Which would be the logical thing to happen.
That's actually interesting, because normally I'd expect the game to outright reject saves from "future" builds without bothering to try loading them, since the version number is baked into a save and easily accessible. Amusingly, this is exactly the point I was making about the progression gates not actually changing save files, because if the last progression gate build is fully compatible with a random build from before Derelict started adding them, it means that literally nothing in the save changed in a way that would require invalidating saves.

Which reinforces my point that it was a choice Derelict made to force players to run through the progression gates every time.

As a different note, I noticed the other day that old presets from before the breeding and preset changes actually still work in the game, despite comments to the contrary. However, they don't behave as you might expect. If you snag a neph with an old preset in the current builds, the body always uses the base shape, and things like pregnancy and body-changing traits (such as busty) don't modify that shape. Not only that, but breeding the neph results in the game reverting to what appears to be similar to the old system, with offspring using the full preset of one of the parents if applicable, or a random preset if not.

This is an interesting indicator that the data that actually changed may not be in the save file, but rather the extra data is stored in presets. I'd have to go digging in a new save to verify that, however. Color data for individual nephs has been in the save data for years, but if the format of that data changed, or if they picked up a cache of the body shape data or new material data, it would mean that attempting to load a current save in a version from before the preset update should crash the game. If it doesn't crash the game, even when looking at nephs with new presets, it means that, once again, Derelict intentionally invalidated saves that didn't technically need invalidation.

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
well, one could go through the minor annoyance of making a new savegame object and convert old data over there if the structure changed... That's not really magic. And would prevent the customers which pay for the game already to waste hours again to get their stock breed.

And if you say otherwise, you aren't a dev, but a fool!
I did not say it could not be done, just that things like this is NOT being done and that is the decision of the developer. Me personally, I Like going back through and refining what I do. As to things like the cheat codes, sure I use them but I use them for specific things, I find legit ways to do things because I'd rather enjoy getting things back and the unknown more than keeping the same saves. I can not argue against what the dev decides will happen in an ALPHA build.

emiru_sama

Mar 28, 2020
Oh my.... Finally we got a new Exotic variant XD

Do you have a pick of how the futa version looks like? :3
I don't know if I am answering correctly but these are Minotaur futas (both humanoid and exotic):
1614359882721.png 1614359937518.png

Also I assume that in the wild there are the same variants of colors as in MC Spirit Form creator.
So colors for the exotic one are: Brown, Lavender and Tan.
For humanoid: Brown and Lavender.
Not to mention the option where the offspring get parent colors mixed and the unusual color trait.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Styl1sh

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
Just noticed:
as someone said the censored version is taken from i think one of the original steam versions. in game there is no censorship what so ever.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
well, one could go through the minor annoyance of making a new savegame object and convert old data over there if the structure changed... That's not really magic. And would prevent the customers which pay for the game already to waste hours again to get their stock breed.

And if you say otherwise, you aren't a dev, but a fool!
The funny thing is that it isn't even necessary for the gate progression updates, since the relevant portion of the save file is both forward and backwards compatible. It's literally just a list of string constants that gets loaded into the game, and the variables are checked by seeing if they're in the list. Not in the list? Variable is false. In the list? Variable is true. It doesn't even need to bother with versioning because the worst case scenario is literally "Oh, we have a string in here for a variable that doesn't exist. What a waste of a few bytes of data."

3.90 star(s) 109 Votes