VN Ren'Py Broken Promises [v0.34] [Light Cavalry]

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes

BeoWoolF

Apr 17, 2020
Thx to the Devs for this VN!

There is a lot to be said about the story, character traits, render work, style and so on, but most has already been posted here.
Therefore I will mostly react to that, no particular order though

Is it strange to be privy to the other characters inner monologue? Maybe, especially as in First Person View story telling, and VNs qualify for that, you normally don't get that. Is it a problem for me?
Nope, it gets me a bit closer to the characters and their inner workings. More relatable. Others have done it before.

Why would Grace run to MC for help in her situation. She did not really know him in the past when he was a boy, only has seen him now for minutes so running to him is quite like going to the cops directly. There are other ways to deal with that asshat, one quite easy one that does come with a cost, but I am leaning back and wait for the Devs how they will resolve it.

About all the girls gravitating to him now and all the sudden. Not sure that is actually the case. He did not go out for dates, he is now in a situation where he is meeting them them by necessity. He had an effect on the ladies before, see Vanessa or his Boss, even Grace when he was a youngling.

Should he be drawing in the girls?
Heck yes, it's an adult VN after all. There already are voices complaining about the 'lack' of a good banging.
On the other hand an adult VN does not mean it has to be a fuck fest. Not at all.

Maybe him being the White Knight is pushed forward a bit prominently but hey, let's see where it will lead to.

Lack of choices. Well yes, there was only this one. Are choices necessary in the introduction part of a story? Don't think so. The fact there is one shows that there seem to be plans.
Again waiting for the next updates.

Oh, speaking about the teacher, is that behavior realistic?
Nah.
Do I have an issue with it?
Nope, as it is both a work of fiction and for adults.
So they are throwing us the horny teacher trope. Let them, she is a beauty.

With that coming to the Models.
No matter what a Dev will do, DAZ will only give you so many options, especially when you are working on a budget, they are a new team of Devs after all.
Does this model remind me of xyz? Possible. That a problem? Not as long as it is not a blatant rip off.
Looking at what they have done with what they have is great. Especially the models of the father and the dean have a lot of work put in, the girls are stunning and the environment has variety and done well.
Room for improvement? Sure, but again consider, it is a first release of a new team.

Want more variety and differences on the models, support them and hand them the money to buy new stuff, then they can send the girls to the hairdresser and beauty saloon or whatever Devs do to explain the new assets in their games :)

Summary of my 2 cents:

Story telling has the making of a deeper than average story. I am looking forward to delve deeper into that.
Artwork is solid and good looking at minimum, considering it is the first installment personally I would call it impressive.
Characters have a lot of potential, we get a quite high dose of issues with them, true, the next chapters will show if and how they will handle that.

Again, thanks to the Devs, looking forward to more.

Hock Xtv

Nov 22, 2021
When I play this game it's looks interstering . But I'm really disspointed by ntr refrence and now looks like grace will be summbting. So now it's my some Bad disscioun to give it a sort. I recommend you if you don't like ntr refrence don't play it.

vogelbeest

Engaged Member
Jan 9, 2021
Most parts i liked, some parts... not so much....
A little drama is no problem but there's a bit of overkill on that front...
Besides those promises the majority of the cast seems severely broken...
Currently i would say it's more like a greek tragedy play then a romance novel...

Only 2 choices as of now but there's not really much to choose, suspect you basicly pick between sub/dom relations with that npc if you can even talk about realisticly being a dom clearly being prey for that cougar...
Personally would have prefered a choice to either accept her proposal or not, she is way too aggressive for my taste but that's just me... Besides that i prefer my chances with either of the "fanclub" over her anyway... She just screams "trouble"...
(i don't know why, but somehow i expect in a later episode we will find out the ripped dean is her husband and he's ready to rip you a new one since he found out aswell... lol)

The game saying "you're not a beta boy?" or whatever doesn't really help either, there's clearly no real "alpha" choice available and it might even appear to be somewhat offensive towards the player, no problem if thats an intended result from a choice, but it would be nice that it's clear when making the choice before you get that message ; (femdom)
Would prefer choices on what type of relationship you pursue with the girls... (not a fan of fixed relations)

Possibly some character evolvement would work better with some more gradually buildup aswell, The lawyer and the police woman both seem strong personalities however they both suffer dramatic breakdowns for their characters....
I find it hard to believe the police chief wasn't allready on the radar of MC, afterall he worked with her closely on daily bases for 2 or 3 years i think? Atleast some of that frustration should have showed during that time...
The lawyer showed a strong and fairly aggressive but wellrounded personality during her third degree with the MC, but her meltdown told a much different story....

I can accept one character appearing strong to have such an unexpected event like that, but not several of them...
Grace for instance allready showed some damage from previous relations when you talk to her outside the market, a current blackmail seems unnecessary at this moment, some backflashes for insight should suffice for her story now.
Or just spread these type of revelations in the story, this just felt like a little too much "BOOM!" for just one episode :)

There's a decent amount of content, it looks great, beautiful girls, conversations could be better at some points (Grace for instance) but overall i think it's good and interesting story telling, really liked the vanessa voice for MC and MC voice for her in their respective conversations... Meeting (catching) Grace in the market is a nice scene aswell...
Just don't forget to give us the time (and story/events) to get to like/love the girls too and you should be good ;)

MuffinSlayer12

Dec 22, 2021
Really sad to see that the writer of this game cant take critique and starts lashing out in a horrendous way towards the fans and supporters who are giving honest critique. The level of ego is insane when majority of people on this thread are saying the writing has issues, hes acting like we're all wrong dispicable. the writer needs dropping is letting the artist down with his writing and bad PR level of ego lashing out in the official discord in private channels. sad to see.

Screenshots of the writer of Broken Promises (Circled) lashing out at people giving critique in the official Discord.

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021
Really sad to see that the writer of this game cant take critique and starts lashing out in a horrendous way towards the fans and supporters who are giving honest critique. The level of ego is insane when majority of people on this thread are saying the writing has issues, hes acting like we're all wrong dispicable. the writer needs dropping is letting the artist down with his writing and bad PR level of ego lashing out in the official discord in private channels. sad to see.
He's blaming other people for his story being bad. Bold move, let's see how it works out for them.

Bacara

Aug 29, 2021
Sad to see because Knight the artist is a wonderful person this writer needs dropping and replacing ASAP.

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019

Screenshots of the writer of Broken Promises (Circled) lashing out at people giving critique in the official Discord.

To much drama from the beginning. Also don't do stupid things like having someone try to blackmail a Lawyer. Especially not another lawyer.

Rodrigoofb

Aug 24, 2020

Oof, can't see that working out for him in the long run. If the artist of this game happens to see this comment, I suggest starting your own project and quit being partners with this writer, because you have got real talent and the renders of this game are awesome.

Yennefer

Feb 7, 2018
Giving the game 5 stars when it's really a 3.5 or 4...
People tend to forget this is the very first release of the official game which also servers as an introduction to the Characters,
Maybe he thought the game had potential to deserve 5 Stars so why judge his personal review ?

Listen, is the writing bad ? yes but he said he'll revise the script and work on it, imagine ur in his shoes and the hours you put in writing this and it turns out the way it did, its only natural to be angry after hearing how bad ur writing is all day, he is also just a person trying to make something. I wanna see some of the people talking shit on here be in his shoes and see how long it takes for them to lose it.

People are way too hard on a initial release of a game.

Knowing the artist on a personal level this hurts, I know how much work he put in this and he doesn't deserve the hate.

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021
People tend to forget this is the very first release of the official game which also servers as an introduction to the Characters,
Maybe he thought the game had potential to deserve 5 Stars so why judge his personal review ?

Listen, is the writing bad ? yes but he said he'll revise the script and work on it, imagine ur in his shoes and the hours you put in writing this and it turns out the way it did, its only natural to be angry after hearing how bad ur writing is all day, he is also just a person trying to make something. I wanna see some of the people talking shit on here be in his shoes and see how long it takes for them to lose it.

People are way too hard on a initial release of a game.

Knowing the artist on a personal level this hurts, I know how much work he put in this and he doesn't deserve the hate.
In this 5 star review they say the game is really only a 3.5 or a 4. That's the issue, the contradiction in their own review.

Reactions: EJW

Yennefer

Feb 7, 2018
In this 5 star review they say the game is really only a 3.5 or a 4. That's the issue, the contradiction in their own review.
No it just proves my point, yes he thinks it's not 5 stars right now but considering it's 0.1 it may be 5 in the next version you never know.
Why rate it 3 then come back and change it if it did get better later.

In my opinion you should always vote for the potential you see in a first release, not how it is right now, that's just not fair to the Game.

Rodrigoofb

Aug 24, 2020
No it just proves my point, yes he thinks it's not 5 stars right now but considering it's 0.1 it may be 5 in the next version you never know.

In my opinion you should always vote for the potential you see in a first release, not how it is right now, that's just not fair to the Game.
:WaitWhat::WaitWhat::WaitWhat: That's not how reviews work, you rate something based on what it is right now, not it's potential.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
The issue is the heartache of the characters.
The other issue is the lack of choices.
MC is a real policeman, he be not a beta, he needs to take charge.
His own monologue is irrelevant. HE has a duty to act.
When we get a perspective of a real helper, a hero, a duty to save and protect,
but our MC is tied to a pole and berrated with all these troubles,
which in Grace are no real issues.

She is getting wet at the insults of her assailant.
That is nonsense. It is just horrific. Nobody can take her heart ache seriously now.
Having her literally swoon over her rapist / blackmailer while getting assaulted is garbage.
What in the world are whole huge texts coming from her admiring her assailant?

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021

You can't base a review on "what ifs", then you're not reviewing the actual product. You're reviewing your imaginary idea of what could be. That makes no sense.

Yennefer

Feb 7, 2018
:WaitWhat::WaitWhat::WaitWhat: That's not how reviews work, you rate something based on what it is right now, not it's potential.
So reviewing a game in its introduction which will stick for new versions sounds fair to you, even if its been revised and revorked ?

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes