• We're currently performing maintenance on the search system, we'll get it back ASAP.

VN Ren'Py Broken Promises [v0.34] [Light Cavalry]

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
Hard disagree. Being sexually active and being recorded involuntarily makes her a victim, and she'd be a survivor once the issue is solved. A law firm wouldn't have any legal reasoning whatsoever to fire their own lawyer for being a victim in a criminal case.
Working in any organisation is about trust and respect by your superiors/peers/subordinates. Moreover she is a lawyer, so the firm's clients will be an issue as well. Futhermore, this is not just about the reputation of a woman sleeping around. There are recordings where she had said regrettable things which only further impugn her reputation/character, especially at work.

Why do you think most people in power resign whenever there is a sex scandal? Legal reasoning aside, Grace loses no matter what.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Hard disagree. Being sexually active and being recorded involuntarily makes her a victim, and she'd be a survivor once the issue is solved. A law firm wouldn't have any legal reasoning whatsoever to fire their own lawyer for being a victim in a criminal case.
Being In a "right to work" state means they can terminate for any reason. So it's possible in many locations in the states alone...

Let alone in the rest of the world.

P.s. also some places of employment have morality clauses etc...
Just saying.

Reactions: Liam the Handyman

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021
Working in any organisation is about trust and respect by your superiors/peers/subordinates. Moreover she is a lawyer, so the firm's clients will be an issue as well. Futhermore, this is not just about the reputation of a woman sleeping around. There are recordings where she had said regrettable things which only further impugn her reputation/character, especially at work.

Why do you think most people in power resign whenever there is a sex scandal? Legal reasoning aside, Grace loses no matter what.
This is just a completely wrong and illogical take. Benoit has way more to lose in this situation and what he's doing is illegal. Grace would have some shame and even if you want to say her reputation could take a hit, Benoit still has way more to lose. Although Grace's reputation is ruined for most people who played the game so maybe there would be a similar backlash in-game.

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
This is just a completely wrong and illogical take. Benoit has way more to lose in this situation and what he's doing is illegal. Grace would have some shame and even if you want to say her reputation could take a hit, Benoit still has way more to lose. Although Grace's reputation is ruined for most people who played the game so maybe there would be a similar backlash in-game.
Dude, ya mixing up your dislike of Grace's backstory with the blackmail situation. Its clear Benoit acts this way because he believes he got her by the pussy or so to speak.

And in what way would he have more to lose? He's a dude. In such situation where he has a recording of how he managed to dominate a hot blonde, the fact he started the blackmail already shows 1) he thinks he can get away with it and has all the cards in his hand and 2) he doesn't fear or care whatever he might lose in proportion to what he feels Grace might lose.

Yall are too focused on Grace as a character and forget that Benoit, based on what we have seen, is probably a really slimy bastard type of character.

I know there are hopes dev team will rewrite her backstory and Imma not defending or against that. Imma simply stating that the blackmail situation, is not something far fetched or unreasonable.

Reactions: Yuno Gasai

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Again, reputation loss can be extremely minimized by going to the police to prevent the spread of the sex tape. If the tape is still released even after police is involved, that would only make things worse for Benoit.

Because IRL, the people in power were the ones doing something that they were not supposed to, i.e.: they were the one in power and abusing that power to gain sexual favor. On the other hand, Grace is the victim.

Being In a "right to work" state means they can terminate for any reason. So it's possible in many locations in the states alone...

Let alone in the rest of the world.

P.s. also some places of employment have morality clauses etc...Just saying.
According to Google, New York is currently not a right to work state so unfortunately your point is completely irrelevant.

And in what way would he have more to lose? He's a dude. In such situation where he has a recording of how he managed to dominate a hot blonde, the fact he started the blackmail already shows 1) he thinks he can get away with it and has all the cards in his hand and 2) he doesn't fear or care whatever he might lose in proportion to what he feels Grace might lose.

Yall are too focused on Grace as a character and forget that Benoit, based on what we have seen, is probably a really slimy bastard type of character.
I don't know whether you're doing this on purpose or not, but you're completely ignoring the fact that what Benoit did is illegal and a crime while what Grace did is not. So if your question is in what way would he have more to lose, then the answer is simple that he could go to jail (meaning he would lose his job and potentially followed by losing his wife/kids too) while she would only suffer (minimal) short-term reputation loss which could eventually be turned into long-term reputation gain as a survivor of sex scandal which would enhance her profile (ex: imagine being a high profile lawyer who is a survivor of sex scandal working on a case for women in similar situation).

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
According to Google, New York is currently not a right to work state so unfortunately your point is completely irrelevant.
Has marvel taught you nothing? Who knows where in the multiverses this New York is located...

But seriously I made more than one point and morality clauses exist everywhere... so yeah :p

• Haha
Reactions: Naxos

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
and morality clauses exist everywhere... so yeah :p
Morality clause doesn't work against the victim of an illegal action (blackmail) because of a completely legal action (being sexually active). Morality clause might work if Grace purposely made the sex tape and it leaked via hacking because it could be argued that she risked damaging the company's reputation by creating the sex tape. However, what happened is that the tape was made without her knowledge which mean that she didn't purposely behave in a way that could risk damaging the company's reputation in any way.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
Morality clause doesn't work against the victim of an illegal action (blackmail) because of a completely legal action (being sexually active). Morality clause might work if Grace purposely made the sex tape and it leaked via hacking because it could be argued that she risked damaging the company's reputation by creating the sex tape. However, what happened is that the tape was made without her knowledge which mean that she didn't purposely behave in a way that could risk damaging the company's reputation in any way.
Eh, several episodes of SVU special unit contradict that logic and who doesn't trust a show created by a man named Dick Wolf?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: Liam the Handyman

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
There are two sides to every coin. You wish to view the situation through a very specific lens. There are already so many documented cases of rape and harassment that were never surfaced simply because of cultural or societal mindset.
This is completely irrelevant though. Would you feel comfortable enough to rape someone IRL just because there are so many documented cases of rape and harassment that never surfaced because of cultural or societal mindset? That makes zero sense IMO. Just because there are rapists who got away unpunished (ex: Brock Turner) doesn't mean that there aren't rapists who got punished heavily (ex: Jeffrey Epstein).

Also how is Grace going to get the perchieved "benefits" as a "survivor" when the recording is her screaming for more? Furthermore there will be impact to her family, relatives and her kid when this comes to light.
"Survivor" of a crime (sex tape blackmail), not survivor of being sexually active (wanting more sex).

Lastly, it seems everyone thinks well of Benoit with these assumptions of his perceived wisdom not to do dumb shit. It could very well be Benoit is just a petty man and is trying to get revenge in a dumbass manner and it might even play out the way you had described.
I never said that Benoit has wisdom. I said the plot of the blackmail simply doesn't make sense logically. Blackmail only works when the victim is in a weaker position. In this case, Benoit is the one in weaker position and it's an open-n-shut case due to the hard evidence that he provided himself.

Ultimately, both Grace and Benoit were driven by their baser impulse during their respective situations. People make bad decisions all the time.
This is also irrelevant. Yes, the sex between them can be considered as both of them making bad decisions, but secretly recording and blackmailing is a crime and it's a decision made only by one of the two parties involved.

Eh, several episodes of SVU special unit contradict that logic and who doesn't trust a show created by a man named Dick Wolf?!?!
I'll pass on this as I'm not an avid viewer of SVU to know which specific episodes you were talking about and their cases. But logically, the company would want to maintain reputation. Firing a victim of a crime would most likely result in reputation loss rather than gain, and it could definitely open up the potential of being sued for wrongful dismissal. This would then prolong the exposure of the company to the scandal which would most likely result in even more reputation loss in public eye.

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021
This is completely irrelevant though. Would you feel comfortable enough to rape someone IRL just because there are so many documented cases of rape and harassment that never surfaced because of cultural or societal mindset? That makes zero sense IMO. Just because there are rapists who got away unpunished (ex: Brock Turner) doesn't mean that there aren't rapists who got punished heavily (ex: Jeffrey Epstein).

"Survivor" of a crime (sex tape blackmail), not survivor of being sexually active (wanting more sex).

I never said that Benoit has wisdom. I said the plot of the blackmail simply doesn't make sense logically. Blackmail only works when the victim is in a weaker position. In this case, Benoit is the one in weaker position and it's an open-n-shut case due to the hard evidence that he provided himself.

This is also irrelevant. Yes, the sex between them can be considered as both of them making bad decisions, but secretly recording and blackmailing is a crime and it's a decision made only by one of the two parties involved.

I'll pass on this as I'm not an avid viewer of SVU to know which specific episodes you were talking about and their cases. But logically, the company would want to maintain reputation. Firing a victim of a crime would most likely result in reputation loss rather than gain, and it could definitely open up the potential of being sued for wrongful dismissal. This would then prolong the exposure of the company to the scandal which would most likely result in even more reputation loss in public eye.
Rebelyon has to be trolling right? There's no one anyone could actual believe what this guy is saying.

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
There are two sides to every coin. You wish to view the situation through a very specific lens. There are already so many documented cases of rape and harassment that were never surfaced simply because of cultural or societal mindset. Also how is Grace going to get the perchieved "benefits" as a "survivor" when the recording is her screaming for more? Furthermore there will be impact to her family, relatives and her kid when this comes to light.

Lastly, it seems everyone thinks well of Benoit with these assumptions of his perceived wisdom not to do dumb shit. It could very well be Benoit is just a petty man and is trying to get revenge in a dumbass manner and it might even play out the way you had described. Ultimately, both Grace and Benoit were driven by their baser impulse during their respective situations. People make bad decisions all the time.
I have not read 1 single comment where people are defending Benoit ... maybe I skipped some?

Reactions: portgasdluigi

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
Zero sense when you had already made the correlation that there are people who got away as well?

And you really think that its a positive reputation for a person to have?

Lets agree to disagree here. We are not Benoit nor Grace. The weaker positon Benoit has is from your own perspective. Since he dared to blackmail, he probably believes otherwise.

And doesn't the fact that Benoit did the recording and the subsquent blackmailing of Grace already calls into question on his character/and perhaps thought processes?

If you wish to claim irrelevancy on so many points and as this is a game, its completely irrelevant what we think IRL because the its does not need to conform to what we believe or understand, legally or otherwise.

This is my last post as i do feel that armed with what we know so far, any further discussion on the same topic will simply be based on assumptions or personal perspectives. We simply do not have all the facts at the moment.

portgasdluigi

Jul 24, 2021
Neither did I mentioned people are defending Benoit interestingly. But i do feel people give too much credit to the dude by stating reasons why he could not blackmail.
Nobody is giving Benoit any credit, everyone thinks he's an idiot, Grace is also an idiot to for not immediately calling him out his ridiculous, ill thought out blackmail plan. The fact that Benoit is stupid enough to try and blackmail Grace when they work a law firm and he doesn't realize has has more to lose and what he's doing/threatening to do it very illegal makes him a complete moron. Meanwhile, the fact that Grace, who was/is in contention for a promotion at the law firm wouldn't immediately know how to shut this shit down by talking to Kylie and/or the police about Benoit and get his ass thrown in jail or at the very least sued, fired (Kylie would not stand for workplace sexual harassment, his wife would probably divorce him, he'd end up on a sex offender registry. That fact that these characters act this way and are even in this situation is absurd. Like the writer threw all logic out the window.

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
portgasdluigi

I wanna be direct my dude. I get that you are unhappy and I can totally understand why. But why not wait till 0.2 and form a more complete opinion?

For all we know, things might change or tweaked in a manner you might appreciate more. Or at the very least, by 0.2 you would be clearer whether the game is for you or otherwise. At this current stage of 0.1, i would say the plot is still too raw to make snap judgements.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
And you really think that its a positive reputation for a person to have?
Yes, being a survivor of any crime is a positive reputation. As I mentioned on my other post, imagine if Grace survived the sex tape blackmail, and then being a high profile lawyer working on cases involving for other women in similar situation. Yes, that's a big positive reputation, both for her and for the law firm (look at how Kylie's case is already about a woman/Jill being harassed by a man/Tybalt).

Lets agree to disagree here. We are not Benoit nor Grace. The weaker positon Benoit has is from your own perspective. Since he dared to blackmail, he probably believes otherwise.
You are right that Benoit believes that he has the upper hand. Otherwise he wouldn't have even attempted to blackmail Grace. However, that doesn't change the fact that he is objectively in a weaker position. That is not subjective. Once again, this is why I questioned the writer, not the character. The blackmail plot simply didn't make sense.

Imagine if your neighbor sent you a text trying to blackmail you with your sex tape that he secretly recorded. What would you do? You'd just go to the police and say "Hey, my neighbor literally sent a text with this trying to blackmail me and admitting that he made secret recording of me having sex, can you please arrest him?" and done. See how stupid that attempt to blackmail you? Because he's in such a weak position.

Now let's make a small modification as I mentioned on my earlier post. Imagine if your neighbor actually called you over to his house, then verbally told you that he has a sex tape of yours, showed the sex tape on his phone, then blackmailed you into paying him money so he doesn't spread the sex tape. If you tried to go to the police, it'd be a case of hearsay because you have no evidence whatsoever. He is in much stronger position for this case.

And doesn't the fact that Benoit did the recording and the subsquent blackmailing of Grace already calls into question on his character/and perhaps thought processes?
You keep on focusing on the characters. I have said in the past that I'm talking about the plot line. I'm fine with Benoit being an idiot. But I'm not fine the plot portrayed Grace to be in the weak position when even within the plot itself she's actually the one with the stronger position.

This is my last post as i do feel that armed with what we know so far, any further discussion on the same topic will simply be based on assumptions or personal perspectives. We simply do not have all the facts at the moment.
I'll put it this way, if in the future there's a twist that would change the plot, it actually means it's poor storytelling. Not because of the twist itself, but because the current portrayal of the blackmail basically leaves no room for assumption. The current blackmail plot relies solely on Grace feeling defeated and not wanting to take action, but it is contrary to the fact that she's in the stronger position. That's why it's bad, because the progression of the blackmail plot contradicted the fact that has been presented.

Just want to emphasize that it has never about Grace or Benoit as characters (I'm perfectly fine with characters making stupid decisions as long as it's within reason). It's about the storywriting of the blackmail plot not making sense.

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes