• Search is back up, but the index is being rebuilt, there may still be some minor problems until this is complete.

VN Ren'Py Broken Promises [v0.34] [Light Cavalry]

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes
Mar 9, 2021
Pretty single blonde lawyer, blackmailed by married bald sleaze bag.
Was she so desperate in the first place that she couldn't even care less if the douchebag was married or not? & no, everyone makes mistakes is the worst excuse one can give. It's hard to imagine a girl like him however slutty she can be did something with the guy like him, I mean even sluts too have some standard. If she can easily be seduced by people like him then i don't know if she's worth fighting for.

Liam the Handyman

Jan 24, 2021
Yes, being a survivor of any crime is a positive reputation. As I mentioned on my other post, imagine if Grace survived the sex tape blackmail, and then being a high profile lawyer working on cases involving for other women in similar situation. Yes, that's a big positive reputation, both for her and for the law firm (look at how Kylie's case is already about a woman/Jill being harassed by a man/Tybalt).
It is unlikely it will be as black and white as what you said. Grace is having an affair with a married colleague as well as potentially many other guys whom Benoit have knowledge of, which means they are likely to be in the same industry or have working relationship with their firm. Prior to any blackmail, this indiscretion (and not accounting for taste) will already reflect a weakness in her judgement. A positive spin on this is quite contrived.

One of the biggest case of similar nature is that of Monica Lewinsky. While there is no blackmail, her sex scandal with the president did her no favors. Sure, she got her book deal and such. But in reality, people have consistently mocked or parodied her despite the fact of "she did the right thing".

I do not wish this type of "success" on anyone else tbh.

You are right that Benoit believes that he has the upper hand. Otherwise he wouldn't have even attempted to blackmail Grace. However, that doesn't change the fact that he is objectively in a weaker position. That is not subjective. Once again, this is why I questioned the writer, not the character. The blackmail plot simply didn't make sense.

Imagine if your neighbor sent you a text trying to blackmail you with your sex tape that he secretly recorded. What would you do? You'd just go to the police and say "Hey, my neighbor literally sent a text with this trying to blackmail me and admitting that he made secret recording of me having sex, can you please arrest him?" and done. See how stupid that attempt to blackmail you? Because he's in such a weak position.

Now let's make a small modification as I mentioned on my earlier post. Imagine if your neighbor actually called you over to his house, then verbally told you that he has a sex tape of yours, showed the sex tape on his phone, then blackmailed you into paying him money so he doesn't spread the sex tape. If you tried to go to the police, it'd be a case of hearsay because you have no evidence whatsoever. He is in much stronger position for this case.
I put forward that as the game is a 0.1, we do not have the full facts of the story at the moment. Both your examples based on your narrative which you can easily shift to accomodate any direction as you wish. In this game's case, we do not have enough details to establish such a "power" positioning yet.

You keep on focusing on the characters. I have said in the past that I'm talking about the plot line. I'm fine with Benoit being an idiot. But I'm not fine the plot portrayed Grace to be in the weak position when even within the plot itself she's actually the one with the stronger position.
Presentation aside, the characters and the story are correlated. The plotline define how characters act in a certain manner while the characters give "life" to the plot.

I'll put it this way, if in the future there's a twist that would change the plot, it actually means it's poor storytelling. Not because of the twist itself, but because the current portrayal of the blackmail basically leaves no room for assumption. The current blackmail plot relies solely on Grace feeling defeated and not wanting to take action, but it is contrary to the fact that she's in the stronger position. That's why it's bad, because the progression of the blackmail plot contradicted the fact that has been presented.

Just want to emphasize that it has never about Grace or Benoit as characters (I'm perfectly fine with characters making stupid decisions as long as it's within reason). It's about the storywriting of the blackmail plot not making sense.
I will refrain from commenting here as the more we discuss, the more its obvious it is to me that we are working with a very limited amount of facts. I will leave it to the future updates of the game to define or to answer the story progression.

Mar 9, 2021
You guys might agree with me or might not on this one but the Jade girl from AOA Academy even with her tragic background left such a profound impression that she's one of the best love interest around here for me.

Reactions: xXwankerXx

Yuno Gasai

Developer of "Acquainted"
GFX Designer
Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
1640372415974.png

Regarding Grace's situation
Hello everyone
So we've experienced quite the backlash for what we did to Grace and past, thank you for the feedback we are looking into toning it down for her past and of course the words being used. We made a mistake and we acknowledge it was a misstep on our part after discussion late into the morning with the team we will adjust the dialouge accordingly so it doesn't sound as bad as it is. What we were trying to do is to show that humans tend to make mistakes and they deserve a second chance, but unfortunately it doesn't work in an AVN because people tend to get attached to charachters a lot, I know I am (Knight). So we're gonna make it way more toned down and have her not have such a terrible past.
Thanks for the feedback even if it was way too harsh, but we understand that people are talking and are angry about because they are passionate and care about the charachter. So for that we are changing it. We plan to resolve Grace's problem in the next chapter. We also forgot to mention, we we will also release update 0.11v to fix the Grace dialouge.
TL: DR
We made a mistake, New update coming out with the dialouge being toned down and her not having a bad past, next chapter will be resolving the issue
Basically that's really it, we're sorry that well it wasn't a well recieve update. But this was our first attempt to release so you should understand that it's not easy for us to get it right in the first place.
- Knight and Sol

Knight_BP

Developer Of Broken Promises
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2019
Everything about Grace was kinda badly done, it won't solve if that is just toned down a bit.
Have in mind that such scenes in a romance game will never work and the whole situation that did come after that is even worse.
If you want to save that Li you will need to re-work the whole plot about her, just editing a bit of the text won't solve it because most people already did read what is going on with said li.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the two scents, we'll figure it out and we're gonna work on Grace and we need to change her backstory obviously, but the renders are set. So we're gonna tone it way down and we are actually changing her backstory a bit. Not as my recent patreon post says we're going to release 0.11v it's gonna sort out a few issues with her as the words being toned down and her past being changed a bit, but it won't make everyone happy, but that's to be excpeted

Edit:
What I mean not everyone won't be happy, she will still have a situation, however not as bad as her being passed around to other men and moaning etc. not that shit. Like I said it was a misstep and it's our first AVN. So think about that :)

Chimba

Mar 6, 2020
Thanks for the two scents, we'll figure it out and we're gonna work on Grace and we need to change her backstory obviously, but the renders are set. So we're gonna tone it way down and we are actually changing her backstory a bit. Not as my recent patreon post says we're going to release 0.11v it's gonna sort out a few issues with her as the words being toned down and her past being changed a bit, but it won't make everyone happy, but that's to be excpeted

Edit:
What I mean not everyone won't be happy, she will still have a situation, however not as bad as her being passed around to other men and moaning etc. not that shit. Like I said it was a misstep and it's our first AVN. So think about that :)
(mann, someday I'm going to get the answer :HideThePain: :KEK: ) can we avoid it if we are not interested in her? or rather,do we have the option to avoid any of the possible LIs, if they are not to the liking of the player? or are they all necessary for the overall plot?

Thanks

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
I was lucky enough to read the comments before I even tried the game and there is no chance that I try the game in its current state.
If I give the game a chance at a later stage depends on if the Dev fixes the problem and how he fixes it. Hopefully, one of the few people whose opinion I give a fuck about plays the game after the fix and explains what the dev did but if after the fix her backstory still contains anything about her being fucked by some NPC and being blackmailed because of it the game and dev go to my ignore list.

Like I said it was a misstep and it's our first AVN.
Just my opinion but when I look at when you made your account you are long enough part of this community that a "misstep" like this shouldn't happen, or did you make the account and never visit the site before you released the game.

CookieMonster

Donor
May 31, 2017

Edit:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit: Also, you don't necessarily have to listen to me. I can get pretty evil. You do you. You're the developer/lord of this world, and it is your tapestry to do with as you wish. Art will always have people who appreciate it and philistines.

Knight_BP

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2019
(mann, someday I'm going to get the answer :HideThePain: :KEK: ) can we avoid it if we are not interested in her? or rather,do we have the option to avoid any of the possible LIs, if they are not to the liking of the player? or are they all necessary for the overall plot?

Thanks
All the mains are part of the story but you don't have to pursue them if you don't want to. At a certain point for the heroine, if you don't want to be with her then she''ll move on with her life

Knight_BP

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2019
Just my opinion but when I look at when you made your account you are long enough part of this community that a "misstep" like this shouldn't happen, or did you make the account and never visit the site before you released the game.
Yes I have been on this site for a long time, however I only went the BaDIK Thread and then left 3 months after, I only post arts a few times and I have no experince with writing. I'm the artist after all and I make renders to make me happy and others. So yes it was a misstep and sure it shouldn't happen but mistakes happen

Mar 9, 2021
but unfortunately it doesn't work in an AVN because people tend to get attached to charachters a lot, I know I am (Knight).
Commendable.
I'll give you another reason.
In real life people can't read others thought but here everything is directed at you as a player so it gets further complicated. Having a past is one thing which I'm sure most won't mind but when it comes without any redemption qualities then only thing one can think of is how to get rid of that character.

Knight_BP

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2019
Commendable.
I'll give you another reason.
In real life people can't read others thought but here everything is directed at you as a player so it gets further complicated. Having a past is one thing which I'm sure most won't mind but when it comes without any redemption qualities then only thing one can think of is how to get rid of that character.
Agreed

Reactions: EJW

Knight_BP

Game Developer
Aug 23, 2019
I'd like to publicly apolgise for what i've done to some people with this and some other stuff, when I saw the reviews and how bad the game was recived It broke my heart really since I suffer from depression and I was at my lowest, I love my charachters and wanted everyone to like my game, but in this case I understand why people didn't like this, however this gave me a wakeup call and made the team want to do better.

Shepp4rd

Donor
Feb 18, 2018
Today i played the first episode, i really liked that game.

I like the slow way of telling the story. I also don't need nude scenes all the time.
The renders are really good. I don't have a favorite among the girls yet. I prefer redheads, maybe Kylie or Vanessa will be my choice ;)

Last edited:
3.60 star(s) 57 Votes