Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
0.2 is not compatible with previous versions, you guys have to get the new game files; after that you will only need to get future patches when released (for bugfixes).

Old girl packs are compatible but not much recommended, since there are many new tags in game and recently released packs are way more interesting. Girl packs are constantly released by many pack makers, check the mods and packs thread to follow any news for them.

The changelog for 0.2 will come asap.

Reactions: Reij and SenPC

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Is this thing stable? I dl'd the 0.2-test2 and applied the patch on top and get stack dumps trying to get through the intro already.
Not really. I think that the gun has been jumped here. We are indeed in the home stretch for 0.2 release, but this version is not stable. There are already bugs being reported on it over on the BK home forum. I think we are 1 or 2 patches away from a stable release.

All content and changes for 0.2 are now done, but we need a couple of bug fix patches before 0.2 can be officially called stable for release.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Version 0.2 final patch:
Is this an actual realease or just the test version?
All content and changes for 0.2 are now done...
As _neronero and Leortha said, it's not really final yet. It's like... a release candidate. Some people broke it immediately by going for the long start. But let's hope it's mostly bugfixes now. Maybe we'll also get what's ready of the community dialogue pack and, if we're extremely lucky, vadi's work on porting sounds over from Bonanza).

It wasn't dead from begin with.
Well, it's not fully alive, either, since Goldo's schedule has been vivisected for a while. Undead, maybe? :p

Mac release please.
Joiplay.

Anybody has the changelog for it?
Goldo doesn't believe in changelogs and version numbers. :D Okay, there's a very high-level one that _neronero copied over.

I may have forgotten something.
Changes to advertising, reputation, group/bis work and customer budgets (the 'spent all money' messages). Somewhat player-controlled matchmaking. Classes providing extra stats. More control events for the farm. Probably not all.

Hopefully we will get some updated image packs now.
Old girl packs are compatible but not much recommended, since there are many new tags in game...
The one thing that hasn't stopped coming are girl packs. We're practically drowning in them now.

And don't diss old packs. There's only a handful of new tags and many popular older characters who haven't had a makeover, but do have a solid pack from the yesteryear.

What I usually do is go back to telling jokes until the next step unlocks, and then go back to the foreplay options. You can also progress with compliments, I seem to recall, but you're not guaranteed to get a topic she likes, so jokes are more reliable.
Only masochist girls don't like any compliments at all, and taking one on is a special endeavour anyway.

But jokes cap out at 50 love, while compliments go up to 75. On the other hand, a terrific joke looks to have 50% faster progress than a flattering compliment? o_O Women. :cautious:

Starting girl keeps getting hurt over and over. I am keeping AP and don't have enough money to hire goons. Any advice?
Blood or Hallow Moon? Do quests and just train her if she's your only girl, Sill takes care of the upkeep.

If not, get a STR weapon for yourself and a weapon for her. Maybe start as a Warrior while you learn the ropes. Buy a cheaper girl as your first one. Close the brothel and hunt for purses in the city until you can afford security. If all else fails, savescum.

And don't even take a peek towards Bonanza, or you'll go crazy and tear out all your hair(s). :p

I make top priority getting a weapon for her. Because crazies are too common.
Not crazies, thugs. Thugs are a very random and unpredictable clientele, but they're your best customers at the beginning of the game. Later on, you can just ban them.

How can I cheat for more money? I already have the Kings Way cheat mod but it doesn't have the option to give more money which is kind of strange.
Well, if you're in chapter two, you can cheat in resources and sell them. Otherwise, real men modders use the console.

Little trouble, game is not working, at all, every page is an exeption.
Probably .

My girl served 4 costumers. 'The costumers spent all their budget on her', jet I didn't get any money. Is that an bug or do the costumers don't have money at the beginning? I'm playing v0.2.
You sure you didn't mix and match 0.15b and 0.2, or didn't forget to apply the new update? This was a bug eons ago.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Maybe we'll also get what's ready of the community dialogue pack and, if we're extremely lucky, vadi's work on porting sounds over from Bonanza).
Well i do work on them but even you didnt give me any answer on the forum (you are like Brutus :D ) and you were the one who requested it. But for now im postponing it until we dont get a more stable relase. I dont want to redoing them over and over again.

• Sad
Reactions: Jman9
Jun 1, 2017
So, it looks to me like the image invokers aren't fully working yet. I've got BKfunctions and BKInteractions popped open, since all training attempts fail to load any images beyond the profile image. Looks like there's an unassigned variable "all_sex_tags" that wasn't defined, which means the strings extracted from the file name aren't being used for picture assignment.

I'm not very good at coding, though, so I might be wrong about that.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well i do work on them but even you didnt give me any answer on the forum (you are like Brutus)...
:cautious:
... Good job! Well done! I'll name an offspring after you! Really! ......:whistle:

Well, I was hoping Goldo would comment on it first, since it's him who's going to do the final integrating.

But for now im postponing it until we dont get a more stable relase. I dont want to redoing them over and over again.
I also thought you were mostly done, and Goldo wasn't going to write any more events, at least for now.

...sloppy coding where lbl is being treated as both a string and a logical and being initialized to None.
Python is dynamically typed and the empty string and None are logically equivalent to False, so this is okay.

I think you probably got the error just after the first one. Ignoring an error can lead to weird results because it breaks the control flow.

I also took the liberty of changing all of the renpy.block_rollback() calls to pass statements on the attached because I consider that a dick move.
It's not. Rollback is meant for VNs and doesn't work well with such a complex game. Goldo's had no end of trouble with it, getting certain data structures messed up due to rollbacks, etc.

It's also cheating in some places, like rolling back to just before a challenge.

SenPC

Feb 3, 2018
0.2 is not compatible with previous versions, you guys have to get the new game files; after that you will only need to get future patches when released (for bugfixes).

Old girl packs are compatible but not much recommended, since there are many new tags in game and recently released packs are way more interesting. Girl packs are constantly released by many pack makers, check the mods and packs thread to follow any news for them.

The changelog for 0.2 will come asap.
stone-cold-steve-austin-oh-hell-yeah.gif

• Red Heart
Reactions: Kite80

Musicfruit

Oct 8, 2017
As _neronero and Leortha said, it's not really final yet. It's like... a release candidate. Some people broke it immediately by going for the long start. But let's hope it's mostly bugfixes now. Maybe we'll also get what's ready of the community dialogue pack and, if we're extremely lucky, vadi's work on porting sounds over from Bonanza).

Well, it's not fully alive, either, since Goldo's schedule has been vivisected for a while. Undead, maybe? :p

Joiplay.

Goldo doesn't believe in changelogs and version numbers. :D Okay, there's a very high-level one that _neronero copied over.

Changes to advertising, reputation, group/bis work and customer budgets (the 'spent all money' messages). Somewhat player-controlled matchmaking. Classes providing extra stats. More control events for the farm. Probably not all.

The one thing that hasn't stopped coming are girl packs. We're practically drowning in them now.

And don't diss old packs. There's only a handful of new tags and many popular older characters who haven't had a makeover, but do have a solid pack from the yesteryear.

Only masochist girls don't like any compliments at all, and taking one on is a special endeavour anyway.

But jokes cap out at 50 love, while compliments go up to 75. On the other hand, a terrific joke looks to have 50% faster progress than a flattering compliment? o_O Women. :cautious:

Blood or Hallow Moon? Do quests and just train her if she's your only girl, Sill takes care of the upkeep.

If not, get a STR weapon for yourself and a weapon for her. Maybe start as a Warrior while you learn the ropes. Buy a cheaper girl as your first one. Close the brothel and hunt for purses in the city until you can afford security. If all else fails, savescum.

And don't even take a peek towards Bonanza, or you'll go crazy and tear out all your hair(s). :p

Not crazies, thugs. Thugs are a very random and unpredictable clientele, but they're your best customers at the beginning of the game. Later on, you can just ban them.

Well, if you're in chapter two, you can cheat in resources and sell them. Otherwise, real men modders use the console.

Probably .

You sure you didn't mix and match 0.15b and 0.2, or didn't forget to apply the new update? This was a bug eons ago.
It is 0.2. I've got achievements, but I had to check twice. :HideThePain:

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
I also thought you were mostly done, and Goldo wasn't going to write any more events, at least for now.
I have a rough sketch but i want to relase the final one when there is no more event for chapter2 and most of the typos are fixed by Doug. I will rewrite them in it. But for others i dont know how much event will be added. (Mostly dialoge for the girls)

bobjones9792

May 27, 2017
Is there any plans for a girl hunter like in Bonanza? I didn't much care for many of the changes Bonanza made but I thought that, at least, was awesome.

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Is there any plans for a girl hunter like in Bonanza? I didn't much care for many of the changes Bonanza made but I thought that, at least, was awesome.
Yes there are concrete plans, but not in the near future (unless someone creates a mod)

Goldo said:
The thing is that vanilla BK's headhunter-like solution is tied to the story for Chapter 4, so it won't be around for some time... Maybe I should consider taking it out of the story and making it available sooner since it seems to be in popular demand.

Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I didn't much care for many of the changes Bonanza...
Is there any plans for a girl hunter like in Bonanza?
While I'm sad to hear it, Goldo indeed had plans for a similar character before I made her. Secret plans, that is.

At one point, he said a headhunter was planned for chapter 4, so... wait for 0.4? :p Then, some time later, he was entertaining the idea of implementing the character faster, because, as you say, she's awesome. That was a while ago, and I don't know what Goldo's current plans are.

Friggin' ninjas!

In any case, it's probably not too hard to extract her from Bonanza. I've bugfixed and improved her a little for 0.4.1.2beta, although the latest upgrade made her somewhat cheaty.

It is 0.2. I've got achievements...
Is it 0.2, patched? Because something like that was in an early release of 0.2.

Musicfruit

Oct 8, 2017
While I'm sad to hear it, Goldo indeed had plans for a similar character before I made her. Secret plans, that is.

At one point, he said a headhunter was planned for chapter 4, so... wait for 0.4? :p Then, some time later, he was entertaining the idea of implementing the character faster, because, as you say, she's awesome. That was a while ago, and I don't know what Goldo's current plans are.

Friggin' ninjas!

In any case, it's probably not too hard to extract her from Bonanza. I've bugfixed and improved her a little for 0.4.1.2beta, although the latest upgrade made her somewhat cheaty.

Is it 0.2, patched? Because something like that was in an early release of 0.2.
Thank you very much. I indeed missed the patch, my bad.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Goldo has patched the main bug that people were encountering, and stated that the remaining bugs were likely caused by skipping/ignoring the first error.

The new patch can be found at the post below, linked in Goldo's signature. His sig always points to the most recent 0.2 patch.

This is then effectively another "release candidate" for 0.2. Whether it'll actually end up being the 0.2 release will likely be decided in the coming days as people pound on it and see if there are any more critical bugs to be fixed.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Darthjake: Are you sure? Musicfruit did have an unpatched game and just I tried and couldn't reproduce it.

If you can get it to trigger somewhat reliably (reload the nightly autosave and see if it happens again), post the save. Because if there's a problem in the code, it's not obvious to neither me nor Goldo, and we need more info to resolve this.

Darthjake

Jun 2, 2017
Darthjake: Are you sure? Musicfruit did have an unpatched game and just I tried and couldn't reproduce it.

If you can get it to trigger somewhat reliably (reload the nightly autosave and see if it happens again), post the save. Because if there's a problem in the code, it's not obvious to neither me nor Goldo, and we need more info to resolve this.

I just deleted the whole folder this time, (just deleted brothel king folder that had all the files before), was going to re-install into a new folder with a different name so unless there are files somewhere else that should get it, and then I'll post here if I run into the same issue again, but I played it for like 2 weeks game time and never got any gold.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
It's one thing to be dynamically typed, but another entirely to throw the whole idea of types out the window. None, Null, NaN should basically be landmines meant to trigger and point out where a programmer fucked up.

I'll agree with you that "" and 0 can be considered False and ANYTHING OTHER than None might be considered True, but that None should be a landmine. It's also generally a very stupid idea to let strings and numbers convert back and forth willy nilly because the code usually doesn't age well and tends to introduce subtle bugs that bite you in the ass and keep biting while you spend a lot of time trying to remember what you did. BTW using 0 and "" interchangeably has caused problems between Python runtime library versions over the years as the devs changed their minds about how to interpret them. Don't even get me started on what Python processing horrors happen on lists consisting of a single string versus a set consisting of a single string. I had the rub the Seeds of Chaos team noses in that one not too long ago. I think they sent some newbies in to implement/change events without telling them the difference between using '[]' and '()'.

Sending a novice after you to maintain your code is also usually a task that's fraught with peril. Sending a group of programmers out after you on this stuff without clear guidelines, and you end up with a mess right up there with Boeing and its Starliner.

As for rollbacks, that's a sign your code has issues. I even saw a comment in one source offering it up as a prayer to prevent double costing something or other. That wouldn't play well with one of the top Twitch partners who recently played the latest Pathfinder release in Hard mode and easily spent a segment or two just trying to save scumm his way past a single battle or encounter. If he had the ability to mouse wheel rollback, his mouse wheel would probably be worn out. SoC is also a massively complex Renpy game, yet I'm able to rollback scum the hell out of it in order to trigger things like map encounters or otherwise scumm the RNG.

Python is dynamically typed and the empty string and None are logically equivalent to False, so this is okay.

I think you probably got the error just after the first one. Ignoring an error can lead to weird results because it breaks the control flow.

It's not. Rollback is meant for VNs and doesn't work well with such a complex game. Goldo's had no end of trouble with it, getting certain data structures messed up due to rollbacks, etc.

It's also cheating in some places, like rolling back to just before a challenge.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes