Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
0.2 version changelog:

So, what's new in this 0.2 build?
  • Girl 'mixes': You can now use the girl mix option from the main menu to create various mixes of girl packs (such as 'real girls' or 'bleach girls', or whatever you fancy). When starting a new game, you can then choose which girl mix you want to use for this particular game. No more moving folders around...

• Girl personalities: There are now 24 fully dynamic girl personalities from the 8 hard-coded original ones. Moreover, there is now more flexibility for girlpack makers who want to introduce their own and the system mixes well with the new...

• Dialogue system: This is a huge change in the way girl dialogue works, and it does basically nothing. Let me explain: All the girl dialogue has been changed from being hard-coded to being fully customizable, according to, among other things, girl personality or personality traits.
    You shouldn't notice any difference for now, though, because the dialogue has remained the same... But basically it means anyone can now edit BKdialogue.rpy and add or change whatever girl dialogue they want. (note: there's a thread on HHS forum dedicated to new dialogues writing)

• Achievements: By popular request, achievements have now made it into the game. There are hundreds of them, so it's going to take a completionist a while to get all of them.

• Contracts: Contracts will fill the 'mid-term goal' role. Starting from Chapter 2, Scarlet the job girl will offer a choice of 3 contracts every month. Contracts have requirements like quests, but harder, and a much bigger payout. You have one month to prepare one of your girls and send her on a contract. If a girl matches all requirements for a contract, you might be offered a large sum by a potential buyer... Potentially making selling your girl a good choice, and maybe introduce some girl rotation.

• Difficulty settings: The basic framework for difficulty settings is now in place.

• Easier modding: Items/furniture, traits, perks, postings and spells are now included in their own .rpy file, letting modders change or expand any one of those categories without fiddling with BKstart.rpy (and having each update break their work...).
    On a side note, stat names can now be renamed in BKsettings.rpy, making translators life easier too.

• Various bug fixes: Bugs identified in the bug thread should mostly be fixed, however new bugs are sure to come up. Please use this thread to report on them, even if they are 'old' bugs.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I answered it about 2 pages ago that its not an update for 0.15b. You need to redownload the game for it. And apply the patch.
so i gotta redownload 15b .. that has no patches .. again , then add this patch to it ????
that sounds kinda stupid :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: Reij

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
so i gotta redownload 15b .. that has no patches .. again , then add this patch to it ????
For the umpteenth time: there are four files archives:
  1. Base 0.15b
  2. 0.15b update
  3. Base 0.2
  4. 0.2 update
You need either 1&2 or 3&4. You will have trouble if you go either 3, 1&4, 3&2 or possibly even just 1. You will also have trouble if you run BK via the Ren'Py SDK or Joiplay and don't use a compatible version (0.15b is Ren'Py 7.0.0, 0.2 is Ren'Py 7.3.5, plugin versions can vary).

that sounds kinda stupid
It's for Goldo's convenience, not yours. :p That being said, I do hope we'll get some sort of 'final release' version without an extra patch and obvious bugs this time. Maybe. If the stars align.

Last edited:

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
that sounds kinda stupid

It's the 0.2 test version what you find on the first page by now not 0.15b. And yes you download it. If you try to apply the patch for the 0.15 version you only get a million error massage becuse its not compatible with it as Jman posted the renpy engine version is not the same.

Reactions: DevilInside666

CapPingu

Mar 5, 2018
I get this error everytime I do any kunoichi 2nd event:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/BKendday.rpy", line 62, in script call
    call play_events(type = "night") from _call_play_events
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 663, in script call
    call display_events(ev_list) from _call_display_events
  File "game/BKevents.rpy", line 675, in script call
    $ ev.play()
  File "game/BKchapter2.rpy", line 6468, in script
    $ unlock_achievement("h narika")
  File "game/BKchapter2.rpy", line 6468, in <module>
  File "game/BKachievements.rpy", line 230, in unlock_achievement
    if achievement_dict[target].unlock(level_cap):
KeyError: u'h narika'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ ev.play()
  File "D:\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Brothel King 0.2 v210826
Wed Oct 06 19:06:02 2021

doujinftw

Nov 26, 2020
Mega
It's the 0.2 test version what you find on the first page by now not 0.15b. And yes you download it. If you try to apply the patch for the 0.15 version you only get a million error massage becuse its not compatible with it as Jman posted the renpy engine version is not the same.
they should just link people to straight to the hhs site where it just have each thread dedicate to each version easier for people to download the correct files

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
they should just link people to straight to the hhs site where it just have each thread dedicate to each version easier for people to download the correct files
this will send you straight there.

Well as i mentioned before im working on adding more sound to events. you can download the music and sound files for it.
For the sounds to work put the sound rpy folder into the mods folder so later on you dont need to rewriteing the settings.rpy.
The sounds, music folder and the chapter1 and intro rpy are going straight for the game folder where you apply the patch. The option.rpy is optimal if you want to change the main menu song.

This patch will change the music played in some places. For the other events i will postpone it for the time being until i dont get an answer from Goldo what changes he will make in them. (I would like if someone point out a few mistakes in places where i misput the sounds if possible.)

Last edited:

Hryme

Aug 15, 2016
Please let us know which girl(s) caused an issue if you could, so we can verify the errors, contact the creators and/or remove them from the Girl Packs google sheet.

We've been thinking about putting together a download bundle of multiple recommended girls to simplify this process for newcomers.
I had problems when downloading and installing the anime girls from the signature of of Leortha in addition to the basic girls pack. But the problems is probably from not applying the patch to a 0.2 base install. I don't want to try again as I accidentaly deleted the downloads and MEGA takes forever when you download from folders.

A download bundle of multiple recommended girls that just works with the base game would be excellent. I have no interest in combing through a 300 page thread or a huge google doc to find some girls that work. And I suspect there are other people like me that just give up trying the game instead of doing that.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
It needs a better release model with a group of girls added that works with just one download.

There is too much wonkiness with all the different girl packs...
There is a basic girl pack linked next to the download, both in the OP here and on HHS. There is even a bloody bolded red warning plastered next to it!

Unfortunately, the pack is ancient, and the girls aren't very good. The best that can be said about it is that it's lightweight and the characters are relatively well-known.

The community tried to make a new one some time ago, but since nobody really wanted to take charge of the project, the project kinda died. Maybe someone will dust it off again.

A download bundle of multiple recommended girls that just works with the base game would be excellent. I have no interest in combing through a 300 page thread or a huge google doc to find some girls that work. And I suspect there are other people like me that just give up trying the game instead of doing that.
That's been a problem with girl packs since forever, and I don't think there's a really good solution. There's the basic girl pack, at least. We tried to make a 'community girl pack' and didn't get anywhere, because it's a lot of work and we all have other things we find more fun. Even BK-related things. :cautious:

I guess the closest is to just download Leortha's full Mega folder and call it a day. Maybe prune the packs a little if your tastes are more demanding than his.

...and seems that the game has a lot of code to evaluate what you have in your girls directory. This code seems to break a lot.
Never played this game, have no packs or anything downloaded, and even navigating around the main menu is throwing constant errors
The code is working fine. You're just trying to play the game without any girl packs, which is explicitly warned against. I suppose Goldo could write exception handling in case another idiot tries this but personally, I'd rather he spent his extremely limited dev time on something more worthwhile.

It is a shame cause I remember playing the first iteration of this game ages ago and that worked a lot better. Things need to be tightened up.
Your memory fails you. There is quite a bit of code that loads the girl packs, but it does so upon startup and doesn't fiddle with the files once the game is on. That's why the game can take a while to load on slower machines. It used to be the other way around, and you're the first person I see longing for the days when the game did rummage through files a lot more.

Rollback won't be good for a battle, but casuals will love you if you let them rollback scum the last move when its that time of the month for the rng gods.
The most worthwhile thing you can rollback is the whole night. And that's exactly where dictionaries get broken. :cry: I think training probably also falls under that, since interactions do a lot of logging and storing data. Event challenge rolls and loot most likely can be rolled back without problems, but I don't think a dev sabotaging his own work is something a player is entitled to demand.

One of my pet peeves with bk when I played it quite a while back was the way a training choice could go horribly wrong right away and you had no way to undo it.
Quickload? It does have this horrible annoying confirmation popup, though.

...I fear this project will never be finished or stable.
BK has had a rather complete simbro part of the game since... 0.14, I think. And 0.15b was stable enough for well over a year.

For a game with so much state, Python is a terrible fit.
Python is a major language with a full range of applications. There are tradeoffs, of course, but Python is not something inherently 'anti-state'.

Where you're right is that Ren'Py is a poor choice for a complex game like that, for several reasons. But it also provides several nice perks, and this is all water under the bridge anyway. Goldo is not going to rebuild BK again from the ground up.

The odds of any kind of meaningful save compatibility is practically non-existent.
It's very much possible. And I say that as someone with a personal fork of an older version of BK who's done crazy stupid shit with it while in the middle of a game and having to update stuff manually and semi-manually. And when I was still making a public spectacle of it, I did manage to keep new stuff relatively backwards compatible, at least code-wise.

It's a question of what's a better return on dev time spent, again. That, and the fact Goldo wasn't aware of the 'after_load' label until recently and has generally been very successful at resisting versioning. :p

My suggestion would be to start fresh in Unity, Godot, or hell, even GMS/RPGM would be a better fit. Ren'Py is the absolute worst choice given the context, and the odds of getting a completed, relatively stable game are not at all good.
Not going to happen if you want 0.3 and maybe even 0.4. Goldo has other, more... primal hobbies now. Like being a mini-boss and planting his seed in RL. ;) And in my experience, even full teams manage to fuck up with Unity or RPGM more often than not. YMMV.

Reactions: artghrl

doujinftw

Nov 26, 2020
this will send you straight there.

Well as i mentioned before im working on adding more sound to events. you can download the music and sound files for it.
For the sounds to work put the sound rpy folder into the mods folder so later on you dont need to rewriteing the settings.rpy.
The sounds, music folder and the chapter1 and intro rpy are going straight for the game folder where you apply the patch. The option.rpy is optimal if you want to change the main menu song.

This patch will change the music played in some places. For the other events i will postpone it for the time being until i dont get an answer from Goldo what changes he will make in them. (I would like if someone point out a few mistakes in places where i misput the sounds if possible.)
oh i been on the hhs site already, what i mean is for the first poster should link it on the first page some that people that exclusively only use f95zone know where to go to navigate the right file, nvm clicking on the name goldo should take them there :ROFLMAO:

Ixiah

Aug 17, 2016
Is it possible that older Girl Packs can cause the game to crash like in this pic ?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
When you suspect that a girl pack may cause errors in your game, probably there are elements in its _BK.ini or_events.in no more compatible with your current version. In that case, try to delete such files in the pack and see if the errors keep showing up

deathsdelano

May 19, 2018
I get this error everytime I do any kunoichi 2nd event:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    $ ev.play()

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ ev.play()
  File "D:\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 914, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "D:\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 2028, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.3.5.606
Brothel King 0.2 v210826
Wed Oct 06 19:06:02 2021
got the error with Mizuki, fixed by going into the BKchapter2.rpy and changed H Mizuki into C2 mizuki, and it worked. The issue is in the achievement file they are keyed as C2 -kunochi name- while in the ch2 file, its trying to key them as H -kunochi(mizuki)- when there the achievement.rpy is looking for c2 -kunochi(mizuki)

Reactions: CapPingu
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes