Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

trevbot

Oct 21, 2020
This is a great game though after a while I've came back to play it again after the patch but I can't launch the App just runs as a background process for maybe 5 secs then disappears does anyone know what the problem could be

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Antivirus? What are you running it on, a Win PC? Anything in the logs? Do other Ren'Py games work? Can you run BK via the SDK?

trevbot

Oct 21, 2020
Antivirus? What are you running it on, a Win PC? Anything in the logs? Do other Ren'Py games work? Can you run BK via the SDK?
I've ran it before on the same Win PC and other Ren'Py games do work. My log from attempting says

Wed Jun 29 17:23:28 2022
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.06s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.07s
Loading error handling took 0.09s

Then the process stops completely and what is the SDK

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I've ran it before on the same Win PC and other Ren'Py games do work. My log from attempting says

Wed Jun 29 17:23:28 2022
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.06s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.07s
Loading error handling took 0.09s
Hmm, that says nothing to identify the issue.

what is the SDK
. You can use it to launch Ren'Py games in addition to making them.

Hmm, I assume you've tried wiping both your Appdata directory and 'game\saves'? And a reinstall in addition to that? Short of disciplining an AV for quarantining some important bit of the engine out of excessive nannyhood, I don't currently see a less heavy-handed solution. Perhaps try changing install directories, too.

Actually, you're not using file paths that contain 'exotic' characters, or excessively long directory paths? Just checking.

trevbot

Oct 21, 2020
Hmm, that says nothing to identify the issue.

. You can use it to launch Ren'Py games in addition to making them.

Hmm, I assume you've tried wiping both your Appdata directory and 'game\saves'? And a reinstall in addition to that? Short of disciplining an AV for quarantining some important bit of the engine out of excessive nannyhood, I don't currently see a less heavy-handed solution. Perhaps try changing install directories, too.

Actually, you're not using file paths that contain 'exotic' characters, or excessively long directory paths? Just checking.
No at first just used an old pack I had from the test version but when it didnt work I uninstalled and wiped everything then tried just the basic pack that was recommended but I'll try the SDK and see what results I get

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Do check your directory paths, too. The only time I've seen reports of this kind that turned out to be the issue (not for BK, though).

trevbot

Oct 21, 2020
So I tried launching through the SDK and I get this error as well as a full traceback

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While compiling python block starting at line 24 of game/BKfunctions.rpy.
File "game/BKfunctions.rpy", line 13, in <module>
import ConfigParser
SyntaxError: invalid syntax (ConfigParser.py, line 261)

homerdante

Apr 7, 2022
hi - on chapter 3 - are we meant to be able to catch on of the ninja - it shows as error occurred and if i ignore it i automatically lose the mini game. attribute error is "npc object has no attribute guest" thanks

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Post the full end of the traceback. You might be out of date, or perhaps updated mid-game and skipped the ninja initialisation.

You can always try consoling init_ninja_game(), but even if it works, you might still have other problems, problems you don't even notice without looking closely.

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018
This is a great game though after a while I've came back to play it again after the patch but I can't launch the App just runs as a background process for maybe 5 secs then disappears does anyone know what the problem could be
An outside chance is problems with the renderer.

You can try holding down the Shift key during starting the game, which will bring up a rendering options screen of Ren'Py.
Set the Powersave at Disable, and then choose Force GL2 or Force ANGLE2 renderer. Then use Quit at bottom of screen, and re-run game.

If problem remains, repeat process but select forcing the other renderer.

Making sure your video adapter driver is up to date is also advised.

homerdante

Apr 7, 2022
Yes i did update midgame which probably caused this - probably have to do a new game when Ch3 is fully out

Code:

While running game code:
  File "game/BKmain.rpy", line 368, in script call
    call ninja_hunt(selected_location) from _call_ninja_hunt
  File "game/BKchapter2.rpy", line 5364, in script call
    call ninja_game(NPC_mizuki) from _call_ninja_game_1
  File "game/BKminigame.rpy", line 197, in script
    python:
  File "game/BKminigame.rpy", line 205, in <module>
    njgame = NinjaGame(ninja=ninja, guest=ninja.guest, special=special)
AttributeError: 'NPC' object has no attribute 'guest'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    python:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220416
Thu Jun 30 14:16:35 2022

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Yes i did update midgame which probably caused this - probably have to do a new game when Ch3 is fully out

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220416
Yeah, you're out of date. Consoling init_ninja_game() can fix this particular issue, but there's no guarantee there are no others, especially if you re-update.

I wouldn't expect Chapter 3 anytime soon. Though I've been wrong about Goldo's timing before.

homerdante

Apr 7, 2022
Yeah, you're out of date. Consoling init_ninja_game() can fix this particular issue, but there's no guarantee there are no others, especially if you re-update.

I wouldn't expect Chapter 3 anytime soon. Though I've been wrong about Goldo's timing before.
sorry but how do you do the "consoling"?

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
sorry but how do you do the "consoling"?

Ren'py has a feature where you can enter "console" mode. You can see and edit pretty much anything in the live game, assuming that you know what you are doing.

Press SHIFT-O (letter not number) to enter console mode. Then enter the suggested text and press ENTER. Then ESCAPE to get out of console mode.

Reactions: Jman9

DougTheC

Oct 15, 2018

Code:

While running game code:
    python:

Windows-10-10.0.22000
Ren'Py 7.4.10.2178
Brothel King 0.2 v220416
Thu Jun 30 14:16:35 2022
As Jman says, you are very out-of-date, in the Ren'Py supporting code, presumably the base BK code (scripts & files), and the latest update.

I would not wait a day; strongly suggest downloading & installing the base BK v 0.2 Release from OP, and the latest, required patch from (updated June 24), in a new folder.
You can move over your "girls" folder to the new install.

A new game will be required, especially since upgrading from pre-Feb 2022 "beta Test" base code, but you'll be much safer from future errors.

goldo00, I think this is a case where using default to set values of new variables/attributes could help in minor updates. Having this someplace:
Code:
        # Guest setup
        default NPC_narika.guest = "guest3"
        default NPC_mizuki.guest = "guest2"
        default NPC_haruka.guest = "guest1"

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Having this someplace:
Code:
        # Guest setup
        default NPC_narika.guest = "guest3"
        default NPC_mizuki.guest = "guest2"
        default NPC_haruka.guest = "guest1"
defaulting an NPC objects attributes is unlikely to work any better. I suggest setting the .guest values right after the three ninja NPCs are created, in the NPC/trainer initialisation block.

Ego Orb

Apr 20, 2018
How does the "grow used to service and sex acts faster" mechanic with trainers work? Does it affect personal training or just on the job experience? Does it work while the girl is on the farm? Also does "sex acts" always refer to the "sex" skill? I saw a trait that mentioned lowering "sex act" requirements, but all of the sexual skills could be considered sex acts.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
How does the "grow used to service and sex acts" mechanic with trainers work? Does it affect personal training or just on the job experience?
It's an additive modifier to 'act preference' that affects everything. Working, training, being farmed, punishments, etc.

Also does "sex acts" always refer to the "sex" skill?
No. E.g. customers complaining about 'favorite sex act', or "only one activated sex act". You can usually tell from context.

I saw a trait that mentioned lowering "sex act" requirements, but all of the sexual skills could be considered sex acts.
It's supposed to lower the, er, requirements for all acts. Doesn't actually work due to a typo ("sex act requirements" vs "sex acts requirements). Mr. friendly rodent?

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes