Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021

Goldo said:
Hi, so I'm implementing a new feature for 0.3, which is a 'no story' mode that some people have been asking for. It would be unlocked after a first playthrough with the story on.

Given that this mode has no story, the only gatekeeping between chapters will be the chapter goals.

Now, I know that several people have mentioned that the mid-game goals are too easy to achieve. The aim, obviously, would be to pace the chapters properly (ideally, each chapter should be somewhat longer than the previous one).

So I would like to open a discussion: What would be good goals for each Chapter in a no-story game? (they may or may not differ from story goals)

For the record, here are the current goals as extracted from BKsettings.rpy:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Goldo said:
What would be good goals for each Chapter in a no-story game?
I think the best goals are already in the game: "X girls of rank Y". You can tweak these numbers if they seem too easy.

Other ideas: I once had both the "X girls of rank Y" goals and MC prestige goals. At least in early game, these were pretty substantial from player feedback. OTOH, the environment where they were more substantial was quite different, so not sure that'd transfer over.

Another idea would be to take inspiration from Papa Freak: have at least one girl satisfy some quite strenuous stat/job requirements.

Or a similar take: have at least one (or ten, or ten thousand) customer(s) get a 'perfect' score from entertainment+whoring. And not just any old customer, but one from the highest tier available in that chapter. So no cheating via beggars, and you also need to unlock and invite those customers.

Possibly also a requirement for brothel fame and/or some number of successfully completed contracts. Or even taxes paid. :devilish:

One could also look to achievements for more inspiration.

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
What I don't like about the current goals is that they're all identical. Even if you tweak the numbers, everything is still completed on autopilot from beginning to end.

On the other hand, if you make the challenges too specific/unique then I think that goes against the spirit of a no-story mode. Eg: Why would the game demand that I have XX girls of rank X to reach endless mode? Maybe I want to create a challenge for myself by reaching it while having the least amount/lowest rank girls possible.

I think ideally the goals also give the player a small taste of new gameplay mechanics as they become available, without forcing them too far down a certain road.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, that makes me ask the question: what is the point having these goals? Are they supposed to be a challenge, are they meant to encourage the player to 'branch out', or are they there to just mark his progress and enforce 'realistic' pauses between upgrades?

I agree that some variety wouldn't go amiss, so perhaps have 'X girls of rank Y' on alternate chapters, since some chapters already share ranks?

Or, if you want diversity, maybe instead of 'X customers served' you could have much more specific challenges. Like give a sailor waitress+anal with both 'perfect'. Or do every type of quest on the board with a good-ish result.

__neronero's numbers seem way too low for me, but I am admittedly not a vanilla player.

Edit: I imagine if you want to be able to reach later chapters with minimal girl numbers, the 'X girls of rank Y' requirement could be changed to 'rank up X girls to rank Y', which means you don't need to have all of them present at the same time.

Reactions: __neronero

__neronero

Jan 23, 2021
Well, that makes me ask the question: what is the point having these goals? Are they supposed to be a challenge, are they meant to encourage the player to 'branch out', or are they there to just mark his progress and enforce 'realistic' pauses between upgrades?
I think Goldo's current thinking is that they should mainly enforce realistic pauses. Especially since this "no-story" gamemode only unlocks after completing the game once.

Or, if you want diversity, maybe instead of 'X customers served' you could have much more specific challenges. Like give a sailor waitress+anal with both 'perfect'. Or do every type of quest on the board with a good-ish result.
I believe chapter goals that are too specific should really be achievements instead.

__neronero's numbers seem way too low for me, but I am admittedly not a vanilla player.
You're probably right, I'm overcompensating a bit too much because I'm looking forward to this no-story mode for my casual runs, not for the "new game +" challenge that some might want from this.
In my eyes the no-story mode shouldn't be converting the skipped story-time into more grinding-time by changing the chapter goals significantly. Bigger challenges should be accessed through the difficulty options instead.

Edit: I imagine if you want to be able to reach later chapters with minimal girl numbers, the 'X girls of rank Y' requirement could be changed to 'rank up X girls to rank Y', which means you don't need to have all of them present at the same time.
Meh, if that's the solution then I could also just sell excess girls right after going through the gate. Head-canon: To make the license official I had to bribe a few officials by shipping girls to them.

edit: Goldododo

Goldo said:
Thank you for the great insight. One thing I'd like to make clear: for me, Goals should not corner a player into a specific playstyle. Meaning goals that require maxing out girls in the brothel, or having girls with specific jobs, skills and so on are probably off the table.

On the other hand, I like the idea of variety in goals, so not gating everything with total gold is appealing. Some of the alternatives you suggested such as gold spent on upgrades, or gold made in a single night look very interesting, even if they amount to the same thing they offer some variation for players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Well, in that case alternative ways of expressing 'gold made' would seem best, since that's fully within player control and tends to reflect most other not-too-specific goals. Current gold, total gold earned, highest gold per night, highest gold per customer, taxes paid, quest/contract income earned, perhaps even highest price you sold a girl for?

Meh, if that's the solution then I could also just sell excess girls right after going through the gate.
Yeah, but you'd also need to groom a new crop of girls for the next 'gate'. My proposal allows you to 'reuse' your sold girls. :)

I believe chapter goals that are too specific should really be achievements instead.

Bigger challenges should be accessed through the difficulty options instead.
The trouble with that is that achievements are optional. But I imagine this is not really a discussion of these goals Goldo wants to have, but rather a proper new game+/challenge run mode. Which would be a separate and different thing altogether.

Reactions: __neronero

artghrl

Jan 15, 2021
For mods use initsetting.exe there you find an update button.
For cards it's going into userdata/chara/female if you want to add female characters.
Every illusion game is the same in that regard. But next time use the Honey Select forum not the BK one.
wow thx thats so simple but 1 thing
1_whats the Mod XYZ
2_WHERE i can get some girl cards
thx

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
wow thx thats so simple but 1 thing
1_whats the Mod XYZ
2_WHERE i can get some girl cards
thx
1. Mods are addition from players to the game.
note click on this if you want to see all of the cards (see the pic)

Reactions: artghrl

artghrl

Jan 15, 2021
1. Mods are addition from players to the game.
note click on this if you want to see all of the cards (see the pic)
sorry but how i download it
all i want is
1_ download a nice hinata
2_ download her original dress like this
1658989828676.png 1658989883825.png 1658990069153.png
3_ cant i talk to the girls
4_ whats is koikatsu
5_ what is battle arena and the game and the studio and the neo what all this please help

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
sorry but how i download it
all i want is
1_ download a nice hinata
2_ download her original dress like this
View attachment 1950624 View attachment 1950627 View attachment 1950630
3_ cant i talk to the girls
4_ whats is koikatsu
5_ what is battle arena and the game and the studio and the neo what all this please help
1. just download the image put it into the place where i told you
2. the dress most likely an extension just download everything from the place i told you
3. for her to appear you need to put the card into the right place
4. koikatsu is another illusion game you can ignore those
5. all of them are mod's for the game you can ignore them.
the only thing you need to start is the game

• Angry
Reactions: Leortha and artghrl

artghrl

Jan 15, 2021
1. just download the image put it into the place where i told you
2. the dress most likely an extension just download everything from the place i told you
3. for her to appear you need to put the card into the right place
4. koikatsu is another illusion game you can ignore those
5. all of them are mod's for the game you can ignore them.
the only thing you need to start is the game
thx thx thx my anger was about to explode thx u so much
im sorry to annoy you
please tell me how to
1_ download the image i cant find download link
2_download the dress extension i cant find the dress like
and thank you so much

• Angry
Reactions: Leortha

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
0.2 officially released earlier in 2022. It was in development for a couple of years before that, but the stable version was 0.15b for all that time.

Goldo has begun development on v0.3. Nothing has been released yet for it.

A good part of the issue is that a year or more back Goldo had relatives move in with him, making it much more difficult for him to get in development time on an adult game. Even now he's not able to test out the changes anywhere near as well as he would prefer, and tends to release things under-tested so that the community can test them for him.

Reactions: Torinir and Jman9
Jul 21, 2020
Still v 0.2 even after 5 years from first release in f95!?
BK is not a crowd-funded Patreon/Subscribestar game. The sole developer Goldo is working on it as a hobby in his spare time, which is somewhat limited, since he has both a career and family.

He seems surprisingly committed though. I think a lot of people would have expected him to drop it, when he started getting small kids and was not even able to actually play the game, working home during lockdowns, but he pushed on. Still, it seems every version does seem to take about 2-3 years, which means it will be ca. 10 years until we see the end of the story ;)

Fortunately, 2D hentai graphics age better than 3D renders IMO...

Reactions: Justinof and Jman9
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes