Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Teritius

Jan 5, 2021
Thanks, changed the renderer and it stopped crashing, but still eats a lot of CPU sometimes!
Check your girlpacks. Large resolution (2k+) pictures and videos really fucks with Renpy on some machines (mine included). I also used to get 90%+ cpu usage from BK until I fixed the files.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
How do you get the latest head hunter and king's way mods to work?
For the Head Hunter mod just simply copy/paste the content from the zip (both one for the 0.2 and the 0.3 version works the same) into the Brothel-King_pc folder.

For the King's way mod copy/paste the content into the Brothel-King_pc/game/mods.

Open up the game. In the main menu click on mods menu and activate them. Start a new game or load your save. If the game dosn't ask that you want it to activate it then click on the "?" button in the upper right side of the screen.

PS: the game will show you wich mods are active.

r4v1s

Jun 21, 2018
Haven't played this in a while, but just saw that there was a 0.3 beta going on. Have the mechanics of it changed in any way? I remember liking it a lot, but feeling like the dev was too focused in progressing with the story back then while the gameplay could use some attention (honestly, maybe even an alternative game mode, as the story, as well-written as it is, grows stale after playing a couple of times).

Gutsandguts

Dec 9, 2017
Haven't played this in a while, but just saw that there was a 0.3 beta going on. Have the mechanics of it changed in any way? I remember liking it a lot, but feeling like the dev was too focused in progressing with the story back then while the gameplay could use some attention (honestly, maybe even an alternative game mode, as the story, as well-written as it is, grows stale after playing a couple of times).
Yeah I guess maybe they want to finish the story first but I feel like they should focus on making it more fun to play now considering new mechanics will take a while to implement, it's not like the story is something you'll want to play again and again whereas the gameplay brings you back, well it does for me anyway.

Heck if anything I'd just like it if my girls could perform any sex act at any job, based on what I've allowed. Weird that dancers can only do anal and whatnot. Having some more stuff to do in the city would be nice, like assinging a girl to "advertising" so people can sample the goods.

In general more events with your girls in town would be great I like the little beach event but it so rarely triggers.

Congressman Weiner

Jul 29, 2018
I agree ... plot is nice but doesn't lend itself to repeated playing the way just brothel management is. More random things like the beach event would be appreciated. Maybe more intelligent beasts and monsters coming into the brothel to allow for those images that for now only occur in the farm would be cool, too.

I'd like the option to play just brothel management as well as the plot.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Even Goldo is thinking the way as you guys. But as you can see in the link nobody is up to it to write a few non story event.

Aetheran

Mar 23, 2020
So I'm in the process of writing some side-story events (or at least trying to) and wanted people's input on something:

How do you guys feel about voiced lines? I don't mean fully voiced, but just short single or two word generic lines (but in the character's specific voice)

For example, I'm currently writing an event for a character from another game. What I can do is take some of her actual voice lines from that game and cut them up into small sound bites. So, for example, when the player first meets her, her text will say "Hey, you're [MC.name], correct? Nice to meet ya, I'm [girl name]!" And it'll play a short voice line of her saying just "Hey here!"

Or when you part ways, her text will say "Ok well, I need to get going, see ya next time!" And it'll play a short voice line of her saying "Bye!"

So not constant voice lines, just here and there in specific areas, like greetings, partings, some expressions (like "Huh?", "Wha?!" etc etc...) when the situation calls for it.

Thoughts? Is that something you guys would like in an event? I feel it'd be a cool idea because then people who may not know the character from the game can hear what she sounds like. Put a voice to the face, as it were.

Teritius

Jan 5, 2021
So I'm in the process of writing some side-story events (or at least trying to) and wanted people's input on something:

How do you guys feel about voiced lines? I don't mean fully voiced, but just short single or two word generic lines (but in the character's specific voice)

For example, I'm currently writing an event for a character from another game. What I can do is take some of her actual voice lines from that game and cut them up into small sound bites. So, for example, when the player first meets her, her text will say "Hey, you're [MC.name], correct? Nice to meet ya, I'm [girl name]!" And it'll play a short voice line of her saying just "Hey here!"

Or when you part ways, her text will say "Ok well, I need to get going, see ya next time!" And it'll play a short voice line of her saying "Bye!"

So not constant voice lines, just here and there in specific areas, like greetings, partings, some expressions (like "Huh?", "Wha?!" etc etc...) when the situation calls for it.

Thoughts? Is that something you guys would like in an event? I feel it'd be a cool idea because then people who may not know the character from the game can hear what she sounds like. Put a voice to the face, as it were.
I don't think anyone will mind as long as there is text, so if people don't like it they have the option to mute.

Reactions: initiated

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017

I assume you're not talking about adding voices to free girls or slaves, as that would imply adding additional (even if optional) burden to the girlpack maker's work. You're only talking about NPCs, right? the ones currently present in the game, and possibly some new ones?

I don't think there would be an issue with that; as Teritius said above, assuming the text is there, muting the game is always an option. However, please do get in touch with Goldo on the - he's the author and he has the final saying what does and what does not enter the game.

Or you can make a mod.

Aetheran

Mar 23, 2020
I assume you're not talking about adding voices to free girls or slaves, as that would imply adding additional (even if optional) burden to the girlpack maker's work. You're only talking about NPCs, right? the ones currently present in the game, and possibly some new ones?

I don't think there would be an issue with that; as Teritius said above, assuming the text is there, muting the game is always an option. However, please do get in touch with Goldo on the - he's the author and he has the final saying what does and what does not enter the game.

Or you can make a mod.
Well, ya, it'd be a mod. I'm not talking about trying to add shit into the actual game itself. Probably should have specified it'd be a mod but I didn't think people would think I was talking about putting stuff into Goldo's work, lol

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
Well, ya, it'd be a mod. I'm not talking about trying to add shit into the actual game itself. Probably should have specified it'd be a mod but I didn't think people would think I was talking about putting stuff into Goldo's work, lol
You might end up adding stuff to the actual game if you want to add things which have never been considered to be in a mod. I don't know the mod interface in the game, never tried to investigate it, but IMHO the chances that you would have to modify the game code are around 90%, even if it's just to implement callbacks into your code.

Do talk with Goldo.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Most likely it would stay as a mod. I dont think Goldo will put it into the game. Even just adding some extra sound to the game could take hours if not days of extra work (talking from experience).

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
Most likely it would stay as a mod. I dont think Goldo will put it into the game. Even just adding some extra sound to the game could take hours if not days of extra work (talking from experience).
What I talked about was not getting the mod code itself into the game, but getting hooks for the sound code into the base game.
If you want to add voices to the game, you must add the code to play the sound at certain places. You have two choices here:
  • you can add hooks into the Goldo's code, and make your mod conform to the existing mod API (extended by the hooks you need). This way maintaining the hooks falls on Goldo, and by supplying the code for the callbacks you can make your mod pretty independent from Goldo's code, or
  • you can distribute modified versions of Goldo's files with your mod. It's easier in the beginning, but it quickly becomes a management nightmare, as you need to 1) update your code after each release from Goldo, 2) maintain strict compatibility with the version you're modding.
To show you what I'm talking about, let's imagine you have the mod ready, but Goldo releases a new patch for the game. What happens to your mod?

It may be partially overwritten by Goldo's fixes. Some of the mod functionality is lost, and the rest is not necessarily consistent.

Someone might re-apply your mod to the new code from Goldo. This way your mod works more or less ok, but the changes introduced by Goldo are probably partially lost. Game consistency is also threatened.

Someone might apply your mod to a yet different release of Goldo's code. It's going to be hell debugging this code once crash reports start to come.

You can release a new version of your patch for every release from Goldo. It's a lot of work, but it's doable. Now imagine a bug is found in your code. You can't just release one patch, you need to patch all the versions you released. This is a road to hell...

All in all, the only safe course (as I see it) is making all the needed modding API changes to Goldo's code and passing them to him, and then releasing your mod in compliance to the modding API.

dean dean

Oct 15, 2018
Hey first time question here! For console codes. Looking to expand tavern, stripclub , onsen and okiya size beyond the 80 customer limit. Is there a known code for these? Thanks in advance!

Aetheran

Mar 23, 2020
What I talked about was not getting the mod code itself into the game, but getting hooks for the sound code into the base game.
If you want to add voices to the game, you must add the code to play the sound at certain places. You have two choices here:
  • you can add hooks into the Goldo's code, and make your mod conform to the existing mod API (extended by the hooks you need). This way maintaining the hooks falls on Goldo, and by supplying the code for the callbacks you can make your mod pretty independent from Goldo's code, or
  • you can distribute modified versions of Goldo's files with your mod. It's easier in the beginning, but it quickly becomes a management nightmare, as you need to 1) update your code after each release from Goldo, 2) maintain strict compatibility with the version you're modding.
Im pretty sure this is false, cause i just added a voice to my mod by only adding lines to my .rpy, and having the sound file play within my mod folder.

I just added this at the top of my .rpy file:
Code:
init -3 python:

renpy.music.register_channel("bkstarrail", mixer = "sfx", file_prefix = "Mods/Brothel Star Rail/Sounds/", loop = False)
Then added this to my init -2 section:
Code:
 $ s_bksr_sw_isthatit = "silver_is_that_it.ogg"
And then to play it, in the event (again, within my own .rpy file):

Code:
play bkstarrail s_bksr_sw_isthatit
Tested it in game and it works fine. TY to vadi92's response over on the HHS fourm for pointing me to where I can find the correct code to copy from

Last edited:

Hermenegild

Sep 18, 2017
Im pretty sure this is false, cause i just added a voice to my mod by only adding lines to my .rpy, and having the sound file play within my mod folder.

[...]

Tested it in game and it works fine. TY to vadi92's response over on the HHS fourm for pointing me to where I can find the correct code to copy from
So you're using RenPy hooks, not the ones from the game. It works well for the events in your mod.

I misunderstood what you're trying to do. What I envisioned was a framework for adding voices like that to all the events, both new and preexisting. But having such a framework would require creation (and maintenance) of voicing calls and hooks in the base game. On the other hand, such a framework would enable making voice packs (other languages, for example) alongside the girl packs.

Sorry, my imagination ran too far and too wide.

vadi9203

Aug 2, 2019
Hey first time question here! For console codes. Looking to expand tavern, stripclub , onsen and okiya size beyond the 80 customer limit. Is there a known code for these? Thanks in advance!
There is no limit for the customer. But if you want to increase the size for the rooms you can do it in the BKinit_variables.rpy.
In the 0.2 version you find it in line 536.
In the 0.3 test version it's in line 590.
1st numbers it's the chapter 2nd numbers the room size.
If you change it you need to start a new game to take effect.

Reactions: Link! and dean dean
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes