Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
While I do agree that a clickable button to return home from wherever would be great, you *can* currently shortcut back to the brothel. "H" key will return you "Home" to the main brothel screen from pretty much any location where you are not currently involved in an active event.
Tablet users (or those with convertable laptops in tablet mode) don't have keyboards immediately available, so 'redundant' buttons are quite helpful to tablet users. I do appreciate your pointing out that there's a keyboard shortcut though (didn't know that)!
:)

Anyways, here's a (somewhat) quick mockup for an alternate version for the girl screen.
Note that this is a mockup, so thing aren't going to be exact placement wise...

GirlScreenMockup.jpg

Poor Kinzi would never have all five of these icons showing at once ( I don't think you can be both hurt and tired at the same time, you get injured before you burn that last endurance), I'm just showing all of them for conversational purposes.

The new icons I'm representing here would be (looking at the new icons in Kinzi's portrait), from top to bottom:
Phobia (she has one or more phobias)
Hurt
Resting
Tired
And a Level Up icon at the Bottom.

Note the smaller icons and color coding to the right. For demonstration purposes, I picked these colors for the girl backgrounds:
Purple - Whore
Green - Geisha
Orange - Masseuse
Pink - Dancer
Blue - Waitress
White - No Job
Bright Orange/Yellow - Selected
Grey - Resting
Red - Injured

Note that Vynkyo the Dancer's background SHOULD be grey (she's resting), but I just wanted to show off the pink color for dancers in this context...

Note the smaller versions of the 'condition' icons on a few of the portraits. This is for quick reference. Also, note the energy bars at the bottom of the portraits. The idea here is to display the immediately pertinent information in the 'gal scroll', so that you don't have to click on their icons immediately to figure out how tired she is and if she has any phobias, or if she's resting, isn't working currently, etc...

Having the 'Phobia, etc.' icons appearing twice might be a bit redundant, but this way you don't have to 'search' for the highlighted gal in the scroll list to see her 'issues', as they are included with her portrait. Some of this information is also sorta kinda repeated again in the column to the left, but remember that the 'job title' button text changes if someone is hurt or tired.

Also, the two rows of gals is to make more gals immediately clickable, without having to scroll.

Note that the job titles are changed to blue if a gal is resting. Just another way to show the same thing as the resting icon...

In the current UI, a couple of these ARE handled via the job text, but this way you'll know what her current job title is, whether she's working, injured, or resting.

Oh, and note the calendar icon at the top, above the gals. This is just a quicker way to get to the weekly scheduler, saving you a step if you haven't clicked on a gal as of yet.

An additional thought that just came to me. If you used this idea, you could overlay a number over the hurt icon, to show how many days the gal is expected to be on the injured list. Same for the 'Tired/Exhausted' icon, if that number is knowable/should be knowable.

I suppose that you could make the job title clickable (in the gal scroll list) to change her job title/resting status (like you can now at the left). That's kind of redundant, but then you wouldn't have to move the mouse to the left afterwords if that's all you wanted to do.

Again, my goal here was to increase the amount of relevant info that would be immediately visible, to help reduce the clicks needed to figure out a few of the more relevant bits of info. Like trying to remember who has the various phobias that you might want to 'fix'. Also less clicks = less annoying (usually...)

Anyways, that's my Girl Screen idea/suggestion in a nutshell.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Wow, I'm impressed onthe graphic modding you made so far! I wonder you you'd like to share your work with Goldo, he's looking for something like that and having someone who helps with it would give him more time for other stuff. Thank you very much!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Wow, I'm impressed onthe graphic modding you made so far! I wonder you you'd like to share your work with Goldo, he's looking for something like that and having someone who helps with it would give him more time for other stuff. Thank you very much!
Don't be too impressed yet. That's just a photoshop mockup, not an ingame mockup. I was mainly just illustrating my suggestion for Goldo to consider.

And yeah, that was a continuation of my answers to your request that you made r.e. suggestions for the next version. You seem to be in touch with him, so feel free to show my mockups, etc. to him.

I've done similar things ingame for other games via mods (DMD, Babysitter), but I'm here mainly just for fun. I have made a dialogue box scroll bar tweak ingame for BK, though, that I'll share later in the week once I get around to bundling it (still distracted with playing the game).

On another note...

I finally moved my brothel to District 6 (the move that requires 8 Class A gals plus some cash). District 6 (the King's Hold) seems to be broken, and the game keeps asking me if I want to move my brothel, even though I've already relocated it. I'm guessing this is on the 'todo' list for the next version.

Maybe I was supposed to relocate to Area 5 first? I thought I was in Area 5 already...

I also couldn't find any Diamonds, so I just 'cheated' on the resources for now. Tried searching multikple times in the areas of District 6, but no dice (used the cheat to reset my APs to 'hammer' away at the searching).

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
The diamond bug was fixed in the latest patch, be sure to get it here:

The repeated request to relocate the brothel in King's holds sounds new, must investigate further, perhaps it was already fixed too

EDIT: fixed link

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Actually the main plot stops at the beginning of chapter 2; Goldo is making the main plot for the release which will contain the next chapter (I guess it will be 0.2 version), while also improving what can be better, adding side stories and fixing bugs. I know it's not good to wait long for something, but since it's almost a one-man army here, please don't be mad with us ;-)

Reactions: cvbn28c

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Here is a new patch fixing most of the issues found so far.

It addresses all game-stopping errors found so far, as well as the following:
- The brothel will now close when girls aren't working. No security event will happen, and no advertising or security costs will be incurred, only maintenance.
- Bisexual acts with customers were broken, but now they work. You should still rename 'bisexual' pics to 'bis' to avoid them showing up during regular sex.
- Text should now fit the window more or less automatically. This is a matter of fine-tuning, however: if you run into messed-up text, please post a screenshot.
- There is now a 'unique' option for girl init files (see the customization section for more information): Goldo hasn't tested this, help would be appreciated.

Reactions: cvbn28c

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017

- The brothel will now close when girls aren't working. No security event will happen, and no advertising or security costs will be incurred, only maintenance.
- Bisexual acts with customers were broken, but now they work. You should still rename 'bisexual' pics to 'bis' to avoid them showing up during regular sex.
- Text should now fit the window more or less automatically. This is a matter of fine-tuning, however: if you run into messed-up text, please post a screenshot.
- There is now a 'unique' option for girl init files (see the customization section for more information): Goldo hasn't tested this, help would be appreciated.
I keep seeing a message on the Mediafire page saying 'file is still uploading'. Link may be broken...

monroe

insert cringey ass bio here
Staff member
Donor
Jun 23, 2017

recheck upload, 'upload in progress' error message usually means the upload failed.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Latest patch DL now shows as not available. So while you work on that...

I decided to take a stab at the two column/multicolor thing on the girls screen. Here's where I'm at currently:
Note that there's still a lot do do, and I'm still working on exact positioning. Haven't worked out how to do the coloring without losing the irregularly shaped buttons short of making multiple images for the buttons, but I'm slowly plugging away...

GirlScreenWIP1.jpg

This is still in the early stages. The Purple shows where my mouse is at the moment. Lots to do yet... and as I said I'm still playing around with positioning of the images. I may shrink the gal portraits a bit more to fit within their button boxes, but it's a start...
The level, rank, and job text is easy to reposition (it's hidden at the moment behind other gals), I just haven't gotten that far yet...
My goal is 12 gals onscreen, which I've managed, assuming I can make everything else look nice...

The FPS counter in the upper right corner is goddamn annoying. I know how to disable it in the renpy code section (rename the screen), but there needs to be a way to toggle it on or off... for those of us with laptops anyways!

BTW, that text box scrollbar I mentioned in a previous post? I've managed to position things so that the text stays readable about 95% of the time, but sometimes at the farm the text is a bit long-winded (I don't mind that actually)... The other 95% of the time everything fits on screen, so the scroll bar doesn't appear.

So here's a shot with the scroll bar in action.

FarmTextBoxScroll.jpg

Kite80 mentioned doing some adjustments to the text area, I haven't seen those yet, but the adjustments I've done seem to work rather well. 90% of the time the text never touches the quick menu at the lower right in my testing (and no scrollbar at that point, just when the text actually exceeds six lines plus name line...).

Anyways, once I've seen the new patch, I'll see how things look, to see if this text box mod is needed, or if he covered it already.

Chuturica

May 9, 2017
on original forum this is link for latest patch:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
on original forum this is link for latest patch:

I think that Kite80 had an even newer patch that he was trying to share, but that didn't completely upload for whatever reason. I'm waiting for confirmation from him if the one on the HHS site is the new and improved patch. Version numbers, or better yet release dates, on these patches would be nice.

lavaracer16

Sep 6, 2017
Ok. What determines wether or not a girl will work? I've run the mods to get them to have full love and obedience, but some will still not work. Is there something else? I only ask this because I still have my 0.13 install and any girls I buy in that game work not matter what.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Ok. What determines wether or not a girl will work? I've run the mods to get them to have full love and obedience, but some will still not work. Is there something else? I only ask this because I still have my 0.13 install and any girls I buy in that game work not matter what.
I've been playing 0.14, and while girls occasionally decide not to work for whatever reason, generally this happens to less than 10% of the girls, at least in the game I'm hammering away at currently.

I haven't patched it yet (see my last post), not sure if the 'new and improved' patch touches on this in any way. But yeah, I'm not seeing an issue with girls working, just that they occasionally decide not to work for a couple of days.

Not sure if your save games will translate to 0.14 or not, others can comment on that. I started playing the game at 0.14 (have not played previous versions).

Chuturica

May 9, 2017
you can't have 2 girls work on same job(waitress/dancer/massage/sauna)
if you have low number of guests some of girls will refuse to work:
if you have 1 whore 1 waitress and 1 dancer and you number of guest is 6 waitress or dancer will refuse to work.
also if you hover mouse over sex stats you can see will if you have select sex act that have <100% under Will work.

Chuturica

May 9, 2017
I think that Kite80 had an even newer patch that he was trying to share, but that didn't completely upload for whatever reason. I'm waiting for confirmation from him if the one on the HHS site is the new and improved patch. Version numbers, or better yet release dates, on these patches would be nice.
I respect that. On file server time of upload is 2018-10-15 of 15.10.2018.

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@ Chuturica

Thanks!
:)

I made some progress on my modded Girl Page layout today. Here how it looks ingame currently:

GirlScreenWIP2.jpg

There are still a few things I need to do, like:
- implement the style/color switcher for the slot backgrounds
(the green is just a placeholder at the moment)​
- create a level up icon for when it's needed
(thinking an up arrow that will appear just to the left of the rank letter or level number)​
- maybe add an energy bar to the girl pics

- possibly add those icons for rest, hurt, etc. that I mentioned in a previous post

- and incorporate the differences for when you are at the farm or slave market.

:coldsweat:
It's been a bit of a pain in the ass to get to this point (I only mess with Renpy occasionally), but it's progress at least!

Shadowcrow

Oct 10, 2016
To everyone looking for girlpacks, there is a googlesheets link available over on the HHS forums, I tried to link it over here but it seems to be having issues, not sure why. As far as I know it has most if not all shared girlpacks for the game.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes