Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
OK, so I did some more minor tweaks to the girl thumbnails in the interface.

There was an 'overflow' issue with the text for long lines, which I thought I had handled, but didn't really. So attached is a new BKscreens.rpy.

The thumbnail elements for the girls are now 'hard positioned' so if something overflows, it won't disrupt everything else. I also adjusted some of the screen text, to deal with some overflow issues... (Slave market, Farm). This is what I was referring to when I mentioned 'cleaning up the code' earlier.

This is why i'm calling this a beta for now!

Just replace the BKscreens.rpy in the /game folder with this updated one.

And of course, if you haven't downloaded this mod yet, grab the 7zip mod folder here:

The updated BKscreens.rpy is included in the updated 7zip folder, so just install the mod as per the included instructions in the readme.
Your mod is really fun and i think it enhances the game
It's cleaner and easy to use and looks better than original
I haven't gone far enough in the game but as much as i have played i haven't found any problems yet.
I don't think i have seen this "overflow" problem yet but thanks for the fix anyway
Definitely think its worth being included officially in the next update
I tend to think of the gal thumbnails as 'trading cards' or 'placards', so using a different font there but not on say the stat & stat bar breakdowns on the left side of the gal screen (when looking at a gal's stats) would probably be too annoying - readability is more important there, especially when the font starts getting smaller and smaller (say tooltip font size)...
I actually like this idea of the girl's thumbnails as "Trading cards"
Having the same text for everything else is kinda irritating to read

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80

So, I spent a couple of hours yesterday researching unicode fonts. Unfortunately,, I couldn't find a decent option that was more 'script/brush' oriented, but still had the necessary unicode characters to 'cover' the symbol characters that Goldo is using. It's easier if you can just use the characters, and screens don't seem to like having image declarations included as lines of text (which is what you'd probably have to do to replace the heart, yinyang, lightning bolt, etc.).

I checked over a couple dozen fonts (I found a nice list to work off of), but there were one or more missing characters in each of them. *sigh*
Here's the list I was checking against:

There's a couple of serif fonts maybe, but these looked too mechanical for the BK theme, even if they weren't 'boxy' fonts. I may take one more look around, but I think Goldo faced the same issue when he put the interface together, hence the design decision.

So I'll continue to go with my 'pick my battles' approach. As I mentioned, before getting sidetracked yesterday I was changing the font to Chow Fun on bigger items (menu buttons, etc.) but leaving the smaller buttons alone, mainly to maintain readability.

I was also working toward adding a couple of relevant tidbits of information into the menu on the home screen that I find useful anyways (yeah there's the brothel report screen, but I like looking at the brothel background when I come home, not a bunch of text all the time). I may have something to share later today.

Also, I'm not sure how many people are taking the updated interface for a test drive (We have a couple of people at least). More feedback is appreciated!

@Elementario

Thanks for the feedback! It makes me happy that the updated interface is making the game a little more fun for you! ;)

:HeyGuys: Hey y'all!

BTW, I have a couple of personal tweaks that I'm now using, to deal with minor stuff that I like to change just because. I'll probably share these in a separate mod at some point, but one that you might find interesting is this little line of code:
in BKfunctions.rpy, line 237 (def update_slaves() is line 235)
Code:
    def update_slaves():

nb = dice(3 + district.rank) + 4 + district.rank
I changed it from nb = dice (6) + 5 to what you see above.

This is so that, as you move to bigger and better districts, more slaves will appear in the slave market every week. This also reduces the number of slave choices by 0-2 for your first location - there is still a minimum of six, with slightly slimmer pickings your first go round (9 max instead of 11). But, you'll have as many as 23 choices every week when you finally relocate to District 6 (the King's Hold).

I like this change anyways, so I figured I'd share. As I said, I'll include it in a separate mod once I've taken care of a few other things, like the interface mod thingie...
:p

Edit: Here's a screenshot showcasing the changes I've made to the 'homepage', for the updated version of my mod:

homescreennew2.jpg

The idea here being to show off a bit of immediately pertinent information to you, while you ponder hitting that End Day button...

Mainly the security and cleanliness status, but also letting you know where your gals are, how many are supposedly working today, how many empty rooms you have and how many slaves are in the slave market at the moment.

Yeah, most of this this is also in the brothel report screen, but for me at least, I like having these tidbits of info as more immediately obvious...

I'm still working on a few other changes to the interface, but I might have a new version ready to go later today.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80, etc.

So, I noticed that the description for the trait Shrewd isn't showing up. It's a special effect (Special, Pickpocket, 1) with the description: "She may steal a little amount from the customers while seducing them. Reputation may suffer."

Since the extended description doesn't show in the mouseover screen for traits and perks, and apparently since Special is effectively read as "Null", yeah...

Not sure what Goldo would need to do to address that, but I figured I'd mention it. I've always not picked gals with that trait because I didn't know what it did, so I have no idea if the trait is working.

I have no idea how one would go about 'fixing' the variable string used to declare trait effects, so I implemented a 'fix' on the BKscreens.rpy end for my mod in the meantime (checks for Shrewd, if Shrewd, this text appears instead: "May steal a small amount from a customer. Reputation may suffer...").

I'm burned out on coding for today I think, so I may upload my latest BKscreens.rpy here in a bit. Just looking to add a couple more things first...

I was going to add my 'navbar' for the world maps (for those people not using the keyboard shortcuts), but that can wait for another time.

Edit: and here's my latest screens.rpy (attached).

For those wanting to test this, that haven't downloaded my mod as of yet, grab the .zip folder from the previous post, , and then, after installing my mod per the instructions in the readme, drag this file inside the Brothel King /game folder to replace the one that's there.

This screenshot highlights the changes I've made to the "brothel home' screen:

homescreennew3.jpg

For those taking the attached BKscreens.rpy for a test drive, let me know if you have any issues!!!

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Amazing work! Meanwhile I've tried a couple of classic Windows fonts, the best one was Comic Sans which has the best suitable style for a modded BK, but still some symbols are missing. Start to think there's no way to change the standard font unless changing all the symbols involved.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80
Soooo, if you use Windows, there's a utility under programs/windows accessories that is called character map. It'll let you view the character sets of the fonts currently installed in your system. The symbols are tiny, but at least you can see all of the symbols included with any given font set.

So, Deja Vu Sans (which is I believe what Brothel King uses) has a long ass list, but of course Chow Fun's list is very basic (no extended characters). Just letting you know. At the moment, I'm browsing through my fonts using this tool, to see if there are any fonts with extended character sets with symbols that are close enough to what we need.

Essentially we need checkmarks and hearts (easy, it's in several font ranges), some sort of bad symbol (lightning bolt is what Goldo used), neutral (Goldo used a Yin Yang symbol), and as far as level up for my mod, any 'up' arrow will do. There may be a couple of other symbols I'm forgetting, but those are the major ones.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Good to know; so, if there's a way to edit a font or create a personalized combination, such as a comic sans with all the symbols of BK original font, we would obtain something 100% compatible...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80

So, I think I found an interesting alternative... it's like Comic Sans, with unicode symbols. Just tested it ingame, Checkmark, Heart, YinYang, Lightning, and Up Triangle, all there...

The girl stat interface and postings quest/job subscreens would need some line spacing adjustments, but that's doable via screens.rpy, etc...

It's slightly on the fine line side, but looks quite readable.

See attached.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80

So, for future reference, we probably should have used this:
Code:
define gui.glyph_font = "DejaVuSans.ttf"
    A font used for certain glyphs, such as the arrow glyphs used by the skip indicator.
    DejaVuSans is a reasonable default for these glyphs, and is automatically included with every Ren'Py game.
So short form, this may allow you to use whatever font you want, but still retain the DejaVuSans glyphs...

I wish I had seen this earlier... but at the moment I've been hammering away at tweaking alignments, font sizes, etc. for the Comical font. Still a little ways to go on that, but here's where I'm at currently:

GirlScreenWIP6.jpg

There's a lot of nuances to the inteface code, so it's taking a bit to dial everything in and get decent looking positioning on the elements.

I tried to add the girl's current Zodiac Archetypes just under traits (thought that'd be fun), but I can't figure out how to invoke them in a way similar to how the Traits are displayed. Ahh well...

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I think it's better to leave archetypes out of traits list and instead add their own list if you want them to be shown. There's a lot of stuff to see, maybe too much stuff would make the looks difficult for users.

Elementario

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2017
@Kite80, etc.

So, I noticed that the description for the trait Shrewd isn't showing up. It's a special effect (Special, Pickpocket, 1) with the description: "She may steal a little amount from the customers while seducing them. Reputation may suffer."

Since the extended description doesn't show in the mouseover screen for traits and perks, and apparently since Special is effectively read as "Null", yeah...

Not sure what Goldo would need to do to address that, but I figured I'd mention it. I've always not picked gals with that trait because I didn't know what it did, so I have no idea if the trait is working.

I have no idea how one would go about 'fixing' the variable string used to declare trait effects, so I implemented a 'fix' on the BKscreens.rpy end for my mod in the meantime (checks for Shrewd, if Shrewd, this text appears instead: "May steal a small amount from a customer. Reputation may suffer...").

I'm burned out on coding for today I think, so I may upload my latest BKscreens.rpy here in a bit. Just looking to add a couple more things first...

I was going to add my 'navbar' for the world maps (for those people not using the keyboard shortcuts), but that can wait for another time.

Edit: and here's my latest screens.rpy (attached).

For those wanting to test this, that haven't downloaded my mod as of yet, grab the .zip folder from the previous post, , and then, after installing my mod per the instructions in the readme, drag this file inside the Brothel King /game folder to replace the one that's there.

This screenshot highlights the changes I've made to the "brothel home' screen:

View attachment 165536

For those taking the attached BKscreens.rpy for a test drive, let me know if you have any issues!!!
Hey, so i played this for a while
No problems so far, gonna play it some more after a few hours (Kinda busy right now), will let you know if something comes up
Anyway, so far really great work as always
Gotta say, great idea to put the a short report on the main screen, keeping report screen open all the time bugs me
Its cleaner, better looking and doesn't obstruct the bg like report screen does
Weird enough I never got a girl with the Trait "Shrewed", anyway thanks for pointing out what it does
Anyway, keep up the good work
Gonna look forward to what more changes you make

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I'm gonna release a couple more girl packs in the next few days, don't know exactly how many, this cold is giving me a headache so strong that I can barely write something on the forums... damn, I wanted to keep working on the jobgirl events I'm making and this doesn't help...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@Kite80
Chicken Noodle Soup (if you aren't allergic). That's my go to for colds, etc.!

:perservingface:

So, I'm working on something silly at the moment. I should package up the next version of the interface mod, but I've been distracted.

See, I don't think that ALL of the slaves in the slave market should magically disappear and be replaced with new ones every week, so I spent the last few hours figuring out a way to keep a percentage of them in the list (random function). I also adjusted the weekly refresh total downward to compensate.

Also, just for fun, I decided that when some of the free girls 'disappear' from the streets, well a few of them end up at the slave market...

Just thought that this might throw in a little bit of a fun story loop, so that gal you've been chatting up that suddenly disappears, well I liked the possibility that you might see her again in the slave market...

I managed to get this working ingame at least, I'm just playing around with the 'slave refresh' numbers now to figure out a good balance...

Yep, a city with a bunch of horny, unscrupulous males can be a dangerous place for young unattended girls!

I WANTED to also introduce a 'discount' mechanism for gals that have been in the slave market a bit, i.e. the seller would be getting more desperate to sell off his slave, if she hasn't been removed from the market already via the weekly refresh, but I couldn't figure out how to correctly set up the variables for that...

So yeah, that'll be part of my other (gameplay tweaks) mod. Also, someone on the HHS forum had mentioned the idea of Speed not being directly raise-able, instead it would slowly increase as other stats are raised, which I liked. I decided on a 3 to 1 ratio, i.e. raise the other stats 3 points to gain a point of speed. Note that this mod would start you out at a speed of 6 instead of 3, so that you can do more in the early game.

I'm pondering making these extra 3 speed points a function of your logbook/diary, i.e. you are taking notes to increase your efficiency and productivitiy, to better justify it soaking up one of your three slots...

I also worked out a 'choose where two of your three points for your other stats go' mechanism for the early game. The idea here is that you might have a 'Warrior Wizard' that has more Spirit than strength, but still draws his spells from the 'Warrior' list. Or an 'Uber' Warrior with all three points in Strength. You get the idea...

Unfortunately, I don't think I can set this up via the 'mods' mechanism that BK has, as I'm making some significant changes to the base code to do all this. But mainly I'm doing it just for me, if others end up being interested, they can set up a separate install version (so the 'official' version in one folder and the 'OhWeeMod' version in another) or something...

Yeah, I do get distracted when playing around with code! :p

Reactions: Elementario

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Eheh, chicken soup (noodles are not common in my country, we usually prefer spaghetti) reminds me a lot of memories of my childhood: catched a cold, mom prepared chicken soup with tiny pasta and the famous squared cheese for children :) good old times... btw I've decided some of the new girl packs I'm gonna make, here's the partial list:

Princess Allura from Voltron Legendary Defender (So the white haired tanned one, not the pale blonde)
Emilia from Re:Zero (will start from the existing pack, adding a lot of good pics)
Rem from Re:Zero
Ikumi Mito from Shokugeki no Souma (how can I miss a girl specialized in cooking meat AND wearing skimpy clothes?)
Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 (got a ton of pics, gotta take some time to decide which ones to keep)
Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony (wanted to make a special NPC with her, but hey, for now let's enjoy her girl pack)
Cheria Barnes from Tales of Graces (because redheads are always welcome ^.^ )
Leona Morimoto from Discipline (one of the best chars I played in SM3, must be here too!)

Except for Emilia and Rem, I already got the pics for all of them, so just need to tag and discard the trash. It won't be long ;-)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, just sharing my progress on the 'Comical' font update thing...

First off, some tweaks to the dialogue box. Note that Renza's name is using the Chow Fun font...

Guildscreen1.jpg
There are a couple of subtle tweaks to the dialogue box background, but I won't bore you with that.

Anyways, I can't seem to find where the slave gals character names are declared. So their names are defaulting to Deja Vu...

Nightactionscreen1.jpg

So setting up the 'bump up' for the character name took me a lot longer than it probably should have, but I was fighting default style issues, and had to figure out a few 'workarounds'...

Renpy documentation can be really vague sometimes... It seems like I'm researching for days any time I attempt something this involved. Despite how 'easy' it looks once I'm done tweaking, yeah Renpy really kicks my ass sometimes!

Anyways, now I'm trying to find where I still need to adjust a few alignments on specific screens, etc. but this doesn't look bad at all at the moment...

So I still have a bit farther to go, then I need to test this on a fresh install. Assuming no showstoppers, maybe an updated version of my mod in the next few days? We'll see.

:)

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
So, as promised, here's a new girl pack: Allura from Voltron - Legendary defender.
The gal has a few awesome pics, but for the rest don't expect top quality or a lot of files, sorry there's not much stuff around yet. The pack is rated B+ and contains 113 pics; for some reason I haven't figured out my bk pic namer software kept crashing every time I tried to save the tags, so I had to tag everything manually. If for some further reason you encounter any trouble using this pack (and I still can't figure out what the hell could be wrong by just using a bunch of pics) please let me know.

Link:

masseuse swim (2).png

Next one: Shampoo (Ranma 1/2). This pack is not as good as I intended it to be, mostly because it lacks anal group and monster pics; anyway, there are a lot of high quality pics, hope you will enjoy it.

Link:

profile (18).png

TotalMayhem43

Aug 2, 2017
I'm looking for a misty/may from pokemon pack. Don't know why, but that's a kink I have. Anyone know if/where I could find one?

TotalMayhem43

Aug 2, 2017
On an unrelated note, every night, I get a glitch that says,"
System
Label: boa_hancock_night_check doesn't exist (custom girl: girls/Mercy)" and it takes a thousand clicks to progress to the porn. I've made sure there is a .jpg file with the name "boa_hancock_night_check" in both my Boa Hancock and Mercy folders, and it hasn't changed. Any ideas?

Shadowcrow

Oct 10, 2016
I'm looking for a misty/may from pokemon pack. Don't know why, but that's a kink I have. Anyone know if/where I could find one?
Used the sheet posted on HHS (where this game is actually being updated on), there should be a Misty pack in this link, I assume its in the zip file called huge girl pack, no idea how good this pack is though so you'll have to see for yourself. So far no one has made a May pack, don't know if anyone's planning on making one but if I find some free time I'll see if I can throw one together.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes