Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
How do you fix the Satella bug? I can start a new game it's no problem.
- Open BKstory_events.rpy with Notepad ++ or something like that
- Search for label satella_letter()
- A bit below that line you should see this code:
Code:
    if not story_flags["satella_letter"]: # This happens the first time you receive the letter
        $ story_flags["satella_letter"] = True # story_flags is a defaultdict (default=False) used to store all story variables
Make sure the second line isn't commented out (remove the # if there is one at the beginning of the second line)
- Search for label satella_first_visit()
- Add this line between after the label declaration but before the return: $ calendar.set_alarm(calendar.time+30, StoryEvent(label = "satella_letter", type = "morning"))

Now you need to remove the BKstory_events.rpyc (note the "c" - it isn't the same file) from your game folder so it can be recompiled. Just move it somewhere instead of deleting it in case you mess up badly or something.[/code]

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
The security issue (bad events occurring too often and/or too much) has been discussed a lot and there will be some more changes in future updates; such events were meant to be just a game feature, not an obstacle for players, and so shall be.

When you want to add or modify something in a girl pack, be sure to use the "?" button in the main brothel page before proceeding with the image fix, otherwise it won't take the proper effect.

Apr 23, 2018
There is no way to get them to outright enjoy the acts, but you can remove their dislike for acts they react negatively to by undergoing "special training" for that act several times- it's the third menu under training that only shows up when their is a negative to remove.

ADDENDUM: Realized this could be potentially misread, so to clarify: the "negatives" to remove are for specific acts they dislike, not categories as a whole- if they hate a category, for instance anal, the only way to remove their hatred for the category is to find the exact sex acts within anal they dislike and train away their hatred for those particular acts
You know its a shame too theres special training to make them remove the hate. It would be nice if there is special training to make the love certain acts. I also noticed you can do the advanced training that lets you choose the scene unless the person is at least ambivalent.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just being silly.
Not my best work, but since Scarlet (aka Carpenter girl) doesn't have a lot of H scenes on the web, well I got bored...

carpentergirl.jpg

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Just for example you may encounter:

-) the 4 adventurer girls - 4 possible H scenes, chance they give you a cimerian artifact
-) secret door - H scene + always get an item
-) bandits attack you - just for fun, sometimes it's good to annihilate lowlives and show your strength ;-)
-) merchant with damaged chariot - chance of reward
-) cute gambler - earn some money if you beat her, chance of H scene
-) bandit girl - try to charm her and get an H scene
-) arm challenge - win money
-) stop the thief - chance of getting a reward
-) teach the slave - H scene, chance of gaining some experience for all of your girls in a specific sex act

and so on. Remember that MC gains prestige every time he succeed in something good (like stopping the thief) or has sex with a girl (or more girls).

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@ Kite80

Don't forget the 'find my kitty' encounter... that one seems to come up fairly often too!
:p

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
As Goldo suggested let's wait for the experimental patch to be no more experimental but official, it's changing a lot in core code. Once it's ready, it will be easy for OhWee to make his mod without needing to change things twice a day :)

monstermuter

Oct 26, 2017
is there anyway to increase the sexual preferences and make them like acts they hate at first?
You can use hypnotism to effectively train them, if you get higher MAG (Picking a Mage class is ton better in this game) and you rolled the dice succesfully, the girl will agree to the training whether they hate it or not. I got some girls with max anal skill when she definitely hates anal :/ .

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Still hoping to see OhWee's interface baked into the official game, or an update to it :eek:
Funny that you should mention that...

So, Goldo asked me to start a separate thread for the interface mod, and earlier today I zipped up a new version of my mod (V3, dated today, 11/13/2018), which has it's own thread on the Hentai High School forums:

Goldo is curious as to how many people are currently using the mod, and what they think of it, so if you don't mind joining up over there and sharing your comments, etc., well it might help.

Attention Everyone...

V3 of my Interface Mod is attached to this post!

The 7zip now includes the official patch files from 10/15/2018 as part of the mod, so that you don't have to apply the patch separately. You can apply this to the 'vanilla' version of BK 0.14, or I suppose if you are brave you could overwrite the files in a previously modded install...

Some significant additions are:
  1. When you visit the Brothel Status screen, you can now see the 'security level' text over the security level bar, so that you can see what your changes are doing in 'real time'.
  2. Also, on the same screen, whether the Carpenter girl is currently busy or idle is displayed on the Carpenter Wagon button. BTW, you can hover over the 'busy' text (if busy) on the Carpenter's Wagon button to see what she is currently working, where the 'hover text' section at the upper right corner of the screen usually appears.
  3. The 'navigate between districts' buttons are now implemented, and will also show you if you have any 'love interests' in the various districts, with the 'heart' symbol appearing to the left of the appropriate button.
  4. If you have 'show girl pack ratings' activated, the girl pack ratings will now appear on top of the portrait pics of the 'free' girls out on the street.
  5. The 'icon' for the game (when running) now shows a tiny Sill pic in the taskbar (instead of the 'default' Renpy icon), and at the upper left corner of the game window. I wasn't able to replace the 'Renpy' icon for the .exe though. You CAN use the icon.ico with Sill for any shortcut icons though, if you don't mind taking the time to change your shortcut icon.
  6. Fixed an issue with gifts overflowing off of the bottom of the screen (if you have lots of gifts in your inventory) when chatting up girls. This became an issue with the font conversion to Comical, and wasn't an issue with the 'default' DejaVuSans font.
That's all of the newer changes that I can think of at the moment. Here's a couple of thumbnails highlighting these changes.

brothelbuild_carpenterbusy.jpg freegirl_girlpackrating2.jpg DistrictNav.jpg

More thumbails showcasing most of the changes are included in the 7zip file.

Also, this may work with existing saves (at least it does for me), assuming that those saves are for the 'vanilla' or '10/15/2018 patched' versions, but not for saves that were made using the 'experimental' mod.

As usual, report any issues that you may have here, or at the HHS BK forum, whichever is more convenient for you.

Enjoy!
OhWee
:cool:

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
I really don't like the interface mod and will be pretty pissed if it ends up merged into the base game.

First there's the choice of fonts, making everything harder to read. Comial isn't too bad (though still worse than the default) but Chow Fun is absolutely atrocious and something that should never be part of an UI, any UI. It's a font for logos and such.

Then there's the slave listing. Adding a second column is okay but then you have less space to display stuff, which, combined with Chow Fun's humongous size, means it's cluttered and strains the eyes. The background changing color according to the girl's job is also redundant since the job is already displayed. It just makes the relevant info less visible by assaulting the eyes with many colors.

Lastly the main brothel screen. Button labels are cluttered with new info already available in the brothel report. And with the exception of the threat level, the info isn't important enough to be displayed at all times to begin with.

Sorry if I appear harsh but while it's OK to like this mod it really annoys me to see posts pushing for it to replace the default game UI. Default certainly has room for improvement but it avoids basic design pitfalls like too many fonts types/sizes/colors or information overload.

Reactions: Cavpal and noctred

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
No reason to be sorry, it's ok to explain our likes and dislikes, that's why we discuss things here after all. Don't know if it's possible to have multiple and switchable interfaces in a game; if so, it would be great, everyone would be allowed to choice what they think it's best.
About chow fun font: since ren'py takes the font with such name in game folder, it can be changed with another font by simply replace the original font file with a new one: not recommended though, it may cause glitches and out-of-textbox sentences.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
No reason to be sorry, it's ok to explain our likes and dislikes, that's why we discuss things here after all. Don't know if it's possible to have multiple and switchable interfaces in a game; if so, it would be great, everyone would be allowed to choice what they think it's best.
About chow fun font: since ren'py takes the font with such name in game folder, it can be changed with another font by simply replace the original font file with a new one: not recommended though, it may cause glitches and out-of-textbox sentences.
Such a thing is theoretically possible (picking interfaces via the 'settings' menu), but of course this would require a lot of 'if/variable switches' to be added here and there in the code, to adjust positioning. Comical requires more 'line spacing' in places than DejaVu Sans, even at the same font size, so it required a number of adjustments to implement.

Which is why the interface mod took a lot longer than I anticipated to get to this point, since several users (plus myself) weren't huge fans of DejaVu Sans in this instance. I do have other stuff to work on too, you guys...

In short, it'd be a bit of a pain to do. Not sure if you could set up a 'use BKScreens 1 if default, use BKScreens 2 if alternate interface' check to 'bypass' all that, but if you could , that might be interesting... but of course then there would be two sets of code to 'maintain', which Goldo might not want to do. Plus, such a 'master switch' would have to cover multiple files, since multiple files had to be changed to implement the mod. my knowledge of Renpy is hit and miss, and more 'miss' with Python, so I'm not sure how you'd do that...

ChowFun is easier to deal with, if someone hates it that much. I used it mainly for 'headers' and 'placards', not 'readable' sections (say dialogue and the bulk of the brothel report), as it better fits the 'theme' of Brothel King. Brothel King is set in a 'fantasy-like' oriental environment, and IMHO DejaVuSans is MUCH too modern a font for such an environment, but I get that some people don't care about that. I think that you could swap out the Chow Fun font very easily if you wanted to, just give another font that you like better the same name, and place it in the /game folder. Heck, you could even 'duplicate' Comical as 'Chow Fun' if that was your preference.

I suppose you could do the same with the Comical font, i.e. rename DejaVu Sans as Comical, to 'swap out' the font in the interface mod, if it bothered you that much. Just make sure to leave an instance of DejaVu Sans in the /game folder as well, for the girl names... I think that 'reverting' to DejaVu Sans would be less impactful, as things would simply 'shrink' a bit here and there, but I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure about the 'unintended consequences' of such a change.

As for the 'background colors' for various jobs on the girl thumbnails, well that's by far the easiest thing to 'fix' on the user end. Simply pick the colors you want, and change the style tags at the beginning of BKScreens.rpy that relate to job descriptions to all be the same, or a smaller subset of colors, if that's your preference. For me, the colors give me a very quick reference as to whether I have the various 'facilities/job types' covered at a glance, and how many girls are actually working today, without actually having to 'read' the job descriptions, which for me is faster, but other people might not be as attuned to 'color coding' as I am...

Redundant? Maybe, but again, visual cues can help speed things up for the 'trained' eye, once the relevant info has sunk in.

Also, as I mentioned before, I tend to think of the gal thumbnails as 'playing/trading cards', and IMHO BK really can use splashes of color here and there to make the game feel a bit less monotonous color wise. Personal preference and all that. Some people like strict uniformity, others take issue with excessive uniformity...

As for the brothel report, yeah I get that some people like the 'long form', but it's a visual assault on the eyes/wall of text, hence why I picked the 'more interesting' bits and added them to the menu as well. Which makes the 'long form' of the brothel report a bit redundant and unnecessary, looking at it from another point of view.

The whole point of the interface mod is to reduce the number of 'scrolls and clicks' that a user needs to make when interacting with the game, and to a lesser extent to make the game a bit more interesting visually. Less time spent hunting down info equates to a faster playing experience. This is why I went with two columns of girls in the slave market and at the brothel, that way more girls could fit on the screen at once, and you can more directly compare the girls to see what/how everyone was doing, without having to scroll as much. Same for the calender, which incidentally is now also more informative than it was before...

But of course, if you like all that extra scrolling, and clicking, and opening up interactions with girls, etc. to try to figure relevant things out (again), more power to you. Again, personal preference.

If someone wanted to take some time to 'dumb down' the interface mod to their own tastes, well I already put it out in the wild so I can't exactly stop you. But it has sped up my playthroughs of BK significantly (as well as a few others), so going back to Default really feels like a big step backwards to me. Goldo and his team put together a very interesting interface to begin with, and deserves the vast lion's share of the credit, I just tweaked it here and there to streamline play.

Renpy lends itself well to modding, and modding things to personal preference is a good thing IMHO. We may not all agree r.e. what those preferences are, but then that's the point of mods, isn't it? Finding/creating what you like and using it, or tweaking it to taste.

Besharia

May 6, 2018
- Open BKstory_events.rpy with Notepad ++ or something like that
- Search for label satella_letter()
- A bit below that line you should see this code:
Code:
    if not story_flags["satella_letter"]: # This happens the first time you receive the letter
        $ story_flags["satella_letter"] = True # story_flags is a defaultdict (default=False) used to store all story variables
Make sure the second line isn't commented out (remove the # if there is one at the beginning of the second line)
- Search for label satella_first_visit()
- Add this line between after the label declaration but before the return: $ calendar.set_alarm(calendar.time+30, StoryEvent(label = "satella_letter", type = "morning"))

Now you need to remove the BKstory_events.rpyc (note the "c" - it isn't the same file) from your game folder so it can be recompiled. Just move it somewhere instead of deleting it in case you mess up badly or something.[/code]
Arigato gonna make the changes now. *Hugs and kisses*

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Bwahahahahaha!!!

So, I'm working on a gameplay adjustments mod. @Kite80 may appreciate this...

girlfriend_is_forced_into_s.png

What I've done here is change what happens to the girls that get 'culled' from the streets each week. In the 'vanilla' game, there's a 1 in 6 chance of this happening, unless you've talked to her, or it will automatically happen if more than 56 days have passed since she showed up, or was talked to.

I've changed this a bit in my personal mod. There is now a chance of girls that get 'culled' being forced into slavery instead, and the chances of getting culled increase based on the number of days she's been around (and/or is not spoken to).

If you've been chatting up the girl, should she end up being culled, I have it set so she's automatically added to the slave market. That way, you won't grumble about her 'suddenly disappearing, never to be seen again', although I could easily set the probabilities to do this instead (disappears OR ends up in slave market).

So in this case, Neea was 'culled' and is now for sale in the slave market. Note the 'heart & skull' icon on her thumbnail, and also the text in the upper right corner (tooltip hover).

I think that this makes for an interesting story twist, to spice things up a bit. Will you save your girlfriend from the auction block and buy her yourself before someone else does? Hmmmm.....

I have a couple of other gameplay tweaks in my personal mod as well.
These include:
  • A small 'percentage reduction' to Reputation each week, to help encourage more advertising , hiring girls with rep bonuses, and adding those rep multipliers, in order to 'offset' the weekly loss to rep...
  • All of the 'current' slaves in the slave market aren't automatically replaced each week. Instead there's a chance that some will stick around for another week , along with the new weekly additions. Slaves that have been in the market for more than a week are placed at the 'end' of the list, with new slaves appearing on top.
  • As noted above, slavers are culling a few girls from the streets each week, and/or acquiring girls that get arrested for whatever reason (hence disappearing from the streets). Including possible love interests...
  • As players move to higher ranked districts, the average number of girls in the slave market will increase a bit.
  • Speed is now gradually increased as the other stats are increased (1 speed point for every 3 stat increase points earned), and may not be increased directly. Also, beginning speed is increased to 6 (from 3). Still thinking about these three added speed points being 'assigned' to the player's journal, haven't looked into how to do that yet.
  • Players may choose the assignment of all three initial stat points (Strenth, Spirit, Charisma) separately from Class. Stack all three in the same stat if you want to, or constrain yourself and put two points in one stat, the third point in another. Or, if you are bored, go 1-1-1... Wanna buff spirit mage (Mage class, 3 points in strength)? Go for it! Might not work the best at first (ummm, mana?), but it's your MC, so it's your choice!
  • Death to rollback blocks!!!

I'll share it as a gameplay mod (with the interface mod incorporated of course) soon, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes