Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hey im just using the download listed in the OP.
No mods that i know of.
Is there a current patch or update thats not listed in the OP?
The latest patch, dated 10/15/2018, is here:

There are also mods and experimental patches, but the patch in the link above is the official patch.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I asked a moderator to update the OP and add the patch link a while ago, gonna try again.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just a silly note.

After having to click a few hundred times to sell all of those resources to pay for that Dark Horse that makes me happy (He boosted my actions by 1, I already had a regular horse, so now I can engage in more sex training! Yay!), well of course I just HAD to do something about that...

resourcemarket_10s.jpg

I added a couple of '10's' buttons. The '10's' button disappears if there are less than 10 resources to 'bump', hence why there isn't a '10' at the left. Anyways, this will be in the next updates for my two mods, once I've done a couple more tweaks to wrap up some other work.

Edit:
Also, on the autorest thing. Yeah, I've added an enhanced version of Autorest. It'll also be in the next update.

autorest_ohweeversion1a.jpg

The Reset and Clear buttons allow you to set all girls to either Full Shift or Rest (unless already in a No Job/Rest state), and the Autorest automatically sets the girls schedule for the current day to rest or half shifts, depending on where their energy level is as compared to the relevant slider settings. Note that if you set the 'Half Shift' level lower than the 'Rest' level, that it effectively disables half shifts.

You can turn off Autorest after setting the girl's shift levels, to allow you to make manual adjustments for specific girls. Say you just hired a new girl, with a low constitution and limited customer capacity. She will burn less energy in a given day than your more experienced girls, hence there's less need for her to to rest.

I just need to do a bit more testing, afterwhich this should be ready for release.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
The +10 button in resources market spares a pain in the ass! Well done!

Reactions: OhWee

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Experimental patch update:

among minor bugfixes, lowered half-shift resting bonus to 40% to avoid making it OP

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The +10 button in resources market spares a pain in the ass! Well done!

In my playtesting, the numbers are confusing me, even though I added the buttons, so while the new functionality will work as presented, I think I have a better way to present the 1 vs 10 thing without the numbers being so prominent.

I just have to decide if I want to take the time to move the new perk trees over. Copying the code over in the one file is fine, but I don't know if there are other changes elsewhere in the BK files that relate to any new perks that may have been added. Also, moving the perk trees over will likely require starting a new game. Which while on the one hand is probably a good idea, I hate the thought of abandoning old games every time a change is made...

MonkOne

Jul 8, 2017
Experimental patch update:

among minor bugfixes, lowered half-shift resting bonus to 40% to avoid making it OP
Do you have any information about when we get a stable version? I'm working on a multiple brothel mod (let you own more than one brothel) but it rely a lot on base game code. I want to release it now but if people apply any EP update it will break my mod so I'd like to wait for a stable update and fix my mod for that update then release it.

In my playtesting, the numbers are confusing me, even though I added the buttons, so while the new functionality will work as presented, I think I have a better way to present the 1 vs 10 thing without the numbers being so prominent.
For selling, I think a bar work better. And showing how much resource I will have after the trade would be nice.

Also, can you guys make brothel menu modular? Like, like have an array that keep custom button that mods add and show it in the brothel menu. Right now I don't have any good way to put new buttons, mods options require too many click to view something that people want to visit frequently as other brothel's overview. I don't want to edit original game file, if I do that my mods will conflict with any other mods that need to change the same file like OhWee's UI mod.

Also in the girls menu, I'd to put a transfer girls button there to transfer girls between brothels. This would work great for transfer girls to the farm too.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Can't say how long it will take for the experimental patch to become official and finalized, consider that it is the road for 0.15 version and Goldo wants this version to be a major game mechanics and features update. So the answer is to wait for 0.15 release before making mods which alter BK .rpy files.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Do you have any information about when we get a stable version? I'm working on a multiple brothel mod (let you own more than one brothel) but it rely a lot on base game code. I want to release it now but if people apply any EP update it will break my mod so I'd like to wait for a stable update and fix my mod for that update then release it.

For selling, I think a bar work better. And showing how much resource I will have after the trade would be nice.

Also, can you guys make brothel menu modular? Like, like have an array that keep custom button that mods add and show it in the brothel menu. Right now I don't have any good way to put new buttons, mods options require too many click to view something that people want to visit frequently as other brothel's overview. I don't want to edit original game file, if I do that my mods will conflict with any other mods that need to change the same file like OhWee's UI mod.

Also in the girls menu, I'd to put a transfer girls button there to transfer girls between brothels. This would work great for transfer girls to the farm too.
Hmmm, bar. But I just spent a bunch of time making the new buttons, and getting them to hide when you can't adjust any further in that direction(you have no idea!)...

I'll think about the slider bar though. It's doable at least., just a matter of proper aesthetics. If I go this route, I'll just grumble later to myself about 'all the hard work and about a day of...'
:rolleyes:

The second part - adding a 'adjusted resource' total to the trade window.
It's possible. I just added a slightly more detailed 'x to y' field just below the arrow in the middle (not shown as of yet), that displays in tenths (because 3 to 1 is sometime actually 2.2 to 1 sometimes... or some other value)

As to your other point:

We have a somewhat similar problem. There's a number of people that are torn currently between the experimental mod and my gameplay mod, and alternating between the two. I'm working towards incorporating experimental into my gameplay mod, but I'm going with a 'couple of versions behind' philosophy on the features, to give the playtesters time to iron out the kinks before I attempt pulling them across.

The interface mod is a rather extensive redesign that touches a number of files, so unfortunately, it's an 'either-or situation'. My gameplay mod is even more extensive in that regard.

As for the main brothel menu (H or Home Brothel screen)... what might be possible would be to code in a couple of 'placeholder' menu buttons on that screen that would be tied to 'if' statements, and associated variables. Modders could then tie their addons to said variable check, and also the button name. Something along the lines of:

if extra_button1: # is true
....textbutton extrabutton1_name blah blah

Then in your mod file:
$ extra_button1 = True
$ extrabutton1_name = "My Shiny New Button."

If this were for my mod, I'd probably also include a couple more entries for 'HUD info'.

The only issue here is that button space on the home screen is at a premium (especially with the added bedroom buttons from experimental that I still need to look into), so it'd probably be better to 'banish' all mods to an interim screen, with the extra button in the menu being labeled 'Additional Options', and said interim screen having the 'if extra_button' statements incorporated with a bunch of slots.

Your other option is to do what was done with the 'King's Way' cheat mod, where you stake out an empty part of the screen and place your button there (he put his in the lower right, behind a '+' button that expands to a full horizontal menu. I usually push that sucker right to the bottom, so the buttons are along the button, so as to not conflict with the dialogue box as much when it appears, or the upkeep bar in my button, and yeah 95%+ of the time I have it collapsed..

Your best bet, though, would be to discuss this over at the HentHighSchool > Brothel King forum, as Goldo doesn't seem to have (or want to have) a presence here.

If you are trying to play nice with my Gameplay mod, however, drop me a PM here and we can discuss options.

Dizarus

Mar 6, 2018
Hello, i will need some help as it seems my game might be broken somehow.
First tried to make a fresh folder for the game and add the interface mod, for some reason the save file from the other game file were there, that bring us to my first question, where is the save files are exactly? As i tried to delete the folder called "saves" and nothing changes so i guess they are else were.
Also started a fresh folder and game and didn't get 6 energy as it should?
Besides the visual bugs i am getting it is probably due to the fact text font isn't recognized.
Help appreciated! Thanks.

Pic rel.:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
where is the save files are exactly?
There's another folder inside C:/users/[username]/appdata/roaming/renpy which contains all the saves for all the renpy games you ever played. You can delete old saves there, or in the loading games screen by hovering your mouse on them and pressing canc.

Also started a fresh folder and game and didn't get 6 energy as it should?
You didn't mention having installed OhWee game mod too, which grants a higher AP amount at the start, I suspect you didn't get it and so you stort with the normal amount (3).

Can't say much with the visual bugs, but I strongly recommend you to follow the instructions to install OhWee mods, they clearly say to have a vanilla game + latest patch.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I understand it is quite a mess right now, having the interface mod, the experimental patch etc. all running in parallel (which means there may be issues sometimes); luckily this is a temporary phase. The experimental patch will be official at some point, also Goldo (the dev) wants to implement part of OhWee's interface in the core game. Can't say exactly when it will happen, anyway those are the plans for the future.

Reactions: Dizarus

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Apologies, I've been off in Renpy land, trying to figure out some subtleties related to threat level and security...

For the benefit of those using my mods, If you are looking to use one of my two mods, they are similar, but not the same. You need to pick one of these two options:

Brothel King 14.0, with (just the) Interface mod Version 3a:

OR

Above, (BK + Interface Mod), THEN install Version 1 of my Gameplay mod (I strongly recommend waiting for version 2 if you don't mind waiting a few more days).

Version 2 of my Gameplay Mod will include my Interface Mod by default. V1 is a beta in any case. Hence, I'd strongly suggest waiting just a bit longer before installing my gameplay mod, for the new version to drop.

Installing my Gameplay mod WITHOUT my Interface Mod being installed FIRST will cause issues, as will deviating from the Comical and Chow Fun fonts using my mods. Apologies for any confusion that this may be causing.

As for saves, just a note that you can hover over save slots with your mouse pointer, then hit the 'Delete' key to delete a save. This is a 'standard feature' of many Renpy games. @Kite80 already pointed out that Renpy games save in two places, and where to find the second set of saves.

----

Gameplay Mod V2 will deviate a bit more strongly from 'classic' BK in a couple of areas r.e. game balance. It is intended as a proof of concept for a few of my ideas, but as some here expressed interest in these, that's why I'm sharing my gameplay mod in the first place. The threat vs security 'adjustments' I'm messing with are taking a little longer than I had planned, since I'm getting fancy playing around with with bell curves.

I'm experimenting with making certain nightly events non-automatic (just highly or very highly likely if threat level is high or very high, and with 'still a chance' if threat is low or very low), and also with the chance that your security staff may suffer injuries here and there as the night progresses, hence possibly lowering their effectiveness at later points in the evening.

I'm testing these changes as I make them, hence the delay.

Oh, and there are Guard shack/station/house thingies in the late game too...

Please be patient! It's coming.

Reactions: Dizarus

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks to @Dizarus, I found the issue he was having. It's related to the interface mod.

There's a 'fix' file for V3. Apparently there was an issue with the options.rpy file, which I've corrected in the fix. File here (for those that need it):

My Interface mod zip (in the mods thread) has been swapped out as well, with an updated version. This is the only change I believe, so if you weren't having issues before, no worries.

The full zip file is , though, for convenience. I recommend holding off a couple of days though, as there's a significant interface mod change in V4 (I've added autorest and auto half shifts!!!)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@MonkOne

No scroll bar as of yet, but there's a 'remaining resources' counter that I added just now just for you...

resourcemarket_10s_sourcecount.jpg

OK, not JUST for you, but I was thinking of you when I added the code for this.

@ Everyone.

I'm about to release Version 2 of my Gameplay mod. The changes ended up being somewhat extensive coding wise. While I didn't rewrite half the code (there is a LOT of code in BK), well I may have crept up to a percentage point or two...

If you are curious about the stuff I changed or added, yeah there is a long ass list over at the HentHighSchool > Brothel King development forum, here:

I consider this thing as a proof of concepts for a number of BK ideas I've had while playing, for others to try out. And also for me, because this is the kind of stuff I like having in my personal BK game...

The security tweaks are rather tame at the moment, but they can be adjusted easily later on to bump difficulty.
Well I'm playtesting at Level 7 at the moment, and have a number of 'X' girls, with some 'S' girls and some 'A' and 'B' girls, and I still need to hire another three girls to 'max out' my brothel, but yeah...

AND, if I did this right, you SHOULD be able to use Version 1 saves with this new version (I've had good luck with this so far). Of course, there may be bugs to slay, but I haven't seen any in the last bit of testing that weren't 'and I just added this idea' related...

I want to get this out into the wild so people can playtest the ideas, and so that Goldo can get some meaningful feedback on my silly ideas. I'll look into pulling some more stuff across from the experimental mod next, but I'm kinda burned out on Renpy coding for the moment...

So, probably within the next day or so! I don't want to rush this, and end up forgetting to include a couple of files here and there like I did the last time (I'm so embarrassed!).

Lolzoke

Jul 14, 2017
Looking pretty good! I'm excited to help test it out.

I know you asked for some feedback to refer to Goldo a few days back about the UI. I'm hoping we can get a lot of the visually appealing, and QOL UI modifications into the base game. I think overall they're an improvement to the base game by far and I definitely like the idea of them being similar to "cards" in order to display information cleanly and efficiently.

I don't mind about game mechanics changes, or variations for implementation. I just want the game to be visually appealing outside of my girl packs :)

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I think the main issue about the interface mod is the font. Don't know Goldo's personal opinion about it, but some users found it a bit much heavy, causing them some problems reading the game, maybe it's tiring the eyes too much, or they prefer a lighter font.
If you guys know or find a possible font which matches with BK style and lore, which could be implemented in the new graphical interface without too many changes, please let us know. Personally I'd like a font like chow fun, just a little lighter would be perfect!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So, here's a performance tip for BK. I posted it up in the Lemmasoft forums, and if people don't end up having issues, maybe Goldo can do this in the next release:

I remembered that Renpy has an image cache function. So I checked the options.rpy in BK, and noted the current setting:​
config.image_cache_size = 64​
Renpy guesses which images it thinks it'll need, using this number (along with a screen size factor, yeah I was scratching my head too) to determine how many images to cache.​
So I boosted it to 96, and yes, things got quite a bit snappier. I boosted it again to 128, and oh mama! Screens are loading very quickly now!​
The downside of this is that more images are directly stored in memory, so it'll increase the memory footprint. However, my Renpy game is still showing 774 MB in memory WITH the 128 setting (sometimes a bit more, but still less than 800mb), and it wasn't that much smaller with the 64 setting, so I don't think that'll be a big issue for most people.​
You can change this setting yourself, ingame, by typing this into the console while playing:
Shift + o (i.e. type a capital O) to open the console.
then type:
config.image_cache_size = 128
Then hit the esc key to exit console.
You can change it back if you have issues.​
The change won't 'stick' between game sessions, but if you like it, you can edit options.rpy (look around line 288, use an enhanced text editor like notepad2, but not wordpad, etc.).​
I'm not seeing a need to go above 128, as 128 seems to be getting the job done, hence anything higher may be overkill.
I'll be making 128 the default setting in my Interface and Gameplay mods going forward (for now at least), unless people end up having issues, but I'd love to hear how this affects other people's games.​

Reactions: Kite80
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes