Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

overlordmoo1

Aug 17, 2018
I dont even have mods and I am constantly getting errors that ctd. the log says its in the bkmain but I dont feel like digging through it yet. I will post the errors later though.

Aug 31, 2018
When you see the error messages for girl pack errors, you can do several things.

1) Report the errors. Here, or most likely better on the Girl Pack thread. This can help the pack's authors know that there is a problem, and get it fixed. I actually just fixed several such yesterday in my own packs.

2) Girl pack bugs are (almost) exclusively limited to the _BK.ini file included in the pack. If you want, the errors tend to give enough information to fix the ini file yourself. It's just a text file.

3) If you don't want to go editing the ini file, just delete it. You'll lose any custom settings that the pack author set up for the girl, but the images will still be good, and a working pack with no _BK.ini is better than a bugged, unusable pack with a bugged ini file.
thankx, will try it now

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Many bugs from latest version have already been reported and Goldo will fix it in a few days; anyway, just to be sure, feel free to report your issues here with a brief description of what happens and when/how, a copy/paste of the error log given by ren'py (if available) and if the bug happens only for a single game or anytime with any new game started.

Btw I noticed one thing: if BK is in a nested folder on your drive, and I mean very nested, it may cause ren'py issues and game has high chances to have troubles. I've put mine inside 2 nested folders (E:\games\h\Brothel_King-pc), I suggest everyone having troubles to check this fact and eventually try to move the game in a folder closer to drive root. Save files will move along with the game so don't worry, you'll still find them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SenPC

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Many bugs from latest version have already been reported and Goldo will fix it in a few days; anyway, just to be sure, feel free to report your issues here with a brief description of what happens and when/how, a copy/paste of the error log given by ren'py (if available) and if the bug happens only for a single game or anytime with any new game started.

Btw I noticed one thing: if BK is in a nested folder on your drive, and I mean very nested, it may cause ren'py issues and game has high chances to have troubles. I've put mine inside 2 nested folders (E:\games\h\Brothel_King-pc), I suggest everyone having troubles to check this fact and eventually try to move the game in a folder closer to drive root. Save files will move along with the game so don't worry, you'll still find them.
Why would be this a cause? Can a folder path written in a non-English (E:\ゲーム\BK) may be a cause too?

Dripping

Feb 16, 2019
Why would be this a cause? Can a folder path written in a non-English (E:\ゲーム\BK) may be a cause too?
The problem is probably that the length of the full path including the filename becomes too long. There is a lot of software that can't handle it if the length of the path including the filename gets longer than 128 characters. Some older software already acts up with much shorter paths, like 64 characters or even 32 characters. These days, some new features in OS-es and standardization of such text fields solve most of these problems, but it still occasionally happens.
Not sure about non-western characters. I figure that if your OS can handle them, then so should most of your software..

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
To be sure I would avoid non-western characters, ren'py doesn't "digest" them much, even when hosting OS is perfectly capable of dealing with them.

Reactions: Dripping

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
how do you get to the thieves guilde? i am having that problem
First you need to hear rumors of it's existence. That's a random event in one of the city areas, where you pay a small fee for the information.

Then you have an event in the market area where you see a thief being hunted by the city guards, and may or may not help her.

Finally you make a journey through the sewers.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
How to find the thieves guild: during the main storyline, Gio will suggest you to find them and ask their help to solve your problem; at that point you have to visit the spice market in the slums until you see a scene where a hooded figure flees from the guards. MC find a symbol and a hint brings him to the sewers: be aware that in the sewers you have a choice to rescue a girl or not, but you need at least 3-4 strength or spirit to win the fight, so it's better to save before the choice is made. The sewers event is automatic after you get the event in the spice market. At the end of all this way MC finds the thieves guild (it will be unlocked in the city district from now on).

Note: the encounter in the tavern where a guy offers you the information about thieves guild is not necessary since you can find it anyway by following the main storyline, but if you pay him you automatically unlock the thieves guild in the slums.

AHD

May 26, 2017
With 0.15b i run into a "grid full" issue - do you need savegames/stacktraces of renpy or are you already aware of the issue?

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
With 0.15b i run into a "grid full" issue - do you need savegames/stacktraces of renpy or are you already aware of the issue?
That crash has been discussed a lot on the forum, and as far as I know has been proving very difficult to reliably reproduce.

So if you have a save file from which you have steps that can reliably reproduce the error, that could indeed prove useful. But given what I've seen discussed, I kinda doubt you have that, as it does not appear to be the kind of bug that has specific steps to reproduce.

Krew

May 5, 2017
I have such a save file. Where would do I find the appropriate forums to drop it? I'm not familiar with the dev team and what ports they haunt.

Azaliel

Jan 20, 2018
Everytime I compliment someone's mind, there is an error. I can ignore it and it all works fine, but wanted to mention it.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/BKmain.rpy", line 335, in script call
    call free_girl_interact(result) from _call_free_girl_interact
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 25, in script call
    call free_girl_talk(girl) from _call_free_girl_talk
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 220, in script call
    $ renpy.call(topic.label, girl)
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 895, in script
    label free_flirt_spirit(girl):
Exception: Required parameter girl has no value.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/BKmain.rpy", line 335, in script call
    call free_girl_interact(result) from _call_free_girl_interact
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 25, in script call
    call free_girl_talk(girl) from _call_free_girl_talk
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 220, in script call
    $ renpy.call(topic.label, girl)
  File "game/BKinteractions_free.rpy", line 895, in script
    label free_flirt_spirit(girl):
  File "D:\Games\Brothel_King_015b\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 803, in execute
    values = apply_arguments(self.parameters, renpy.store._args, renpy.store._kwargs)
  File "D:\Games\Brothel_King_015b\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 152, in apply_arguments
    return parameters.apply(args, kwargs, ignore_errors)
  File "D:\Games\Brothel_King_015b\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 120, in apply
    raise Exception("Required parameter %s has no value." % name)
Exception: Required parameter girl has no value.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Brothel King 0.15b
Thu Sep 26 13:26:53 2019

Last edited:

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
I have such a save file. Where would do I find the appropriate forums to drop it? I'm not familiar with the dev team and what ports they haunt.

That's the bug thread on the home forum of the game. Goldo is the name of the core dev, though a number of other people, including Kite80 who regularly posts here, help out in a number of ways.

Reactions: Krew

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Overfull grid seems to not be related to save files, probably it's renpy behavior under certain circumstances (I've seen the same bug related to other games). Unfortunately save files are useless. My opinion is it's a renpy latest version bug, triggered by intensive memory usage, so the way I figure out Goldo will solve it is to optimize parts of code so to lesser stress renpy engine. It will take time, meanwhile if you encounter this bug best thing to do is save and reload the game, best if you even close the game and restart renpy itself.

"Parameter girl has no value bug" has been reported and currently under fixing.

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Keep getting this error when having sex with a girl you try to romance (before she becomes a slave)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also is there a way to overcome the security event for the Tavern brawl that basically ruins you? I mean all girls hurt and 100 dirt level even when i have 10 security guards and the fence is kindof a harsh curveball. I have yet to find a counter for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SenPC

overlordmoo1

Aug 17, 2018
Keep getting this error when having sex with a girl you try to romance (before she becomes a slave)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also is there a way to overcome the security event for the Tavern brawl that basically ruins you? I mean all girls hurt and 100 dirt level even when i have 10 security guards and the fence is kindof a harsh curveball. I have yet to find a counter for it.
I am having these same issues. Day one I had to hire like 12 guards and even when I got the 1000 gold to progress with the bar full I was still at high risk.

Moz69

Nov 20, 2017
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/BKinit_variables.rpy", line 303, in script
init python:
File "game/BKinit_variables.rpy", line 315, in <module>
1 : Room("Basic room", 1),
File "game/BKclasses.rpy", line 3376, in __init__
self.pic_path = "brothels/rooms/" + room_pics[self.name]
NameError: global name 'room_pics' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "game/BKinit_variables.rpy", line 303, in script
init python:
File "C:\Users\********\Downloads\Brothel_King_015\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 862, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\********\Downloads\Brothel_King_015\Brothel_King-pc\renpy\python.py", line 1912, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/BKinit_variables.rpy", line 315, in <module>
1 : Room("Basic room", 1),
File "game/BKclasses.rpy", line 3376, in __init__
self.pic_path = "brothels/rooms/" + room_pics[self.name]
NameError: global name 'room_pics' is not defined

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196
Brothel King 0.15
Fri Sep 27 04:16:58 2019

at start after patching i do not like it .... cant even get to the start screen now

ok seems i patched the 0.15 instead of 0.15b. got it started but unable to load the saves (wich was mentioned in the update news)

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 44 Votes