Ren'Py Brothel King [v0.2] [Goldo]

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I'm calm, I'm just becoming grumpier as I get older. :confused:

And we actually want any genuine remaining bugs to be fixed, regardless of playstyle. It's just that chasing after phantoms that are possibly three versions behind, or come from old saves, etc is such a cross misuse of time it makes me o_O. I think Goldo has outright stated that he's not going to look at bugs without proper backing information anymore, since it takes him away from actually developing the game. And I don't think he reads this thread much if at all.

I don't even know what scene you're referring to wrt Scarlet, never mind knowing what exactly went wrong. Similarly, it's hard to get from your post what the problem with free girls is, or whether the 'trait scrolling' bug is the already fixed 'grid overfull' bug in disguise, or something new.

My point was and is, without more specific feedback, the bugs can't be found and squashed. So the only thing posts like yours can possibly do is discourage others from trying the game out. It's pretty unlikely, but still...

Anyway, to end on a more positive note: if you 'only installed the latest one; never applied updates', then you've unintentionally crippled your game, since the update is in addition to 0.15b. It isn't clearly stated, I think. And you can store your logs in a separate directory somewhere. Just switch to the game directory when you hit a crash, copy the traceback file over and post them later when you have the time.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
I must admit Goldo doesn't follow this thread personally; it's been made without he knew it, but when I started to be interested in BK and made a few mods and girl packs, got contact with Goldo and started to be a bridge between dev and this thread community. So don't worry, Goldo may not be here personally, but anything you report, suggest or make for BK will be listened by a few guys like me, who will inform Goldo.

Once again I recommend to install latest game + latest patch + any girl pack you desire (but always check for BK.ini errors in girl packs), no saves from older versions: this way it should work fine.

And once again, for any problem don't be afraid to ask, someone will try to help you if possible :)

Reactions: brattlebob

Pr0man

Jul 23, 2017
Once again I recommend to install latest game + latest patch + any girl pack you desire (but always check for BK.ini errors in girl packs), no saves from older versions: this way it should work fine.

And once again, for any problem don't be afraid to ask, someone will try to help you if possible :)
Why are the "latest game" and "latest patch" not pre-packed anyways and instead listed seperately? Wouldn't it be less confusing for some (given it has happened multiple times in this thread already that people applied the wrong patch to the wrong version) to just have the latest version with a patch pre-applied for downloading purposes on this website?

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Short update: Goldo is working on 0.2 version but also is trying to solve a few bugs related to rollback, some very nasty ones to tell the truth - it came up that sometimes dictionary variables and rollbacks don't get along at all. I will try to complete the jobgirl event i was working at, but for more things I'll wait for 0.2 version, including girl packs.

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
About latest patch: when bugs are fixed Goldo updates the patch, so it will always be the latest one, always from same link. Can't say why he chose this way, but honestly I'm good with it.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Why are the "latest game" and "latest patch" not pre-packed anyways and instead listed seperately?
Standalone patches make sense, since you might want to update without redownloading the whole thing. Separate un-updated game, not so much.

AFAICT, the only upside of the latter is that Goldo doesn't have to repack and upload the whole thing when he releases a patch. Given that at times the tempo of updating has been pretty quick, it makes sense from his end, although not all that much from ours.

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Short info: 0.2 version progression

coding 80% done
story dialogues 20% done
new achievement system implemented

2nd chapter won't be available before a month or two, so release will be on 2020 for sure. Better not ask for a special Christmas event, otherwise we'll have to wait more :)
Btw, are you sure there isn't any special Christmas event already present in game?...

Dec 19, 2019
Do you have any plans to make game a bit harder?

I have 3 girls rank B in 2nd chapter. They earn 1-3k each night and 3rd girl as whore only ~1k

Already finished all available upgrades, bought many high end items and still have like 50k gold left.
Unfortunately it gets boring quite quickly, there is a lack of more things to do as "Brothel King" :p

I see dev is focusing on story right now, but i think he should make the management part in this type of game is more important and desired by players. Just my opinion.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Do you have any plans to make game a bit harder?
There have been ideas, proposals and even a tiny flamewar about it.

The goto answer is 'difficulty levels'. I have no idea when those might become a reality.

Another proposal that Goldo's come up with is achievements. These are likely to be in 0.2.

Another difficulty-booster is the idea of making customer budgets limited. I have implemented this and a bunch of other ideas in the now a bit defunct (as in, at least one major update behind the current schedule) Bonanza mod. It's not necessarily more difficult, but it's definitely more complex and grindy. :p If you're bored, try that out and leave a review at the HHS forums.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
Is there a problem with the command of "brothel.maxbedrooms=#"?

See the linked thread, especially the stuff towards the end about bro_capacity. A version or two ago that replaced the maxbedrooms variable.

Lamoli

Sep 20, 2017
Is there a way to update already owned original girls so they can have the extra interaction that comes with "_BK.in" and "_events.rpy" ?

atm the only way is to sell them if slaves and wait until they reappear to buy them again and unlock this but you lose all their previous stats/perks.. (a full regeneration of this char)

night_label
interact_prompt

reload or something..
(but only the "[background story]" part else char will reset to default file values)

Last edited:

Kite80

Modder
May 30, 2017
Unfortunately you can't just add a BK.ini file into an already existing girl pack and do an update with a single command: BK.ini bonuses and features for a girl are used in the very moment the girl is created in the game, so BK.ini can't be retroactive. The only way is to modify every girl stats and perks manually. For the same reason, special events don't work, since they are associated to the girl thanks to BK.ini file: the game wouldn't find anything for that particular girl. Best solution is take note of your girl stats, rank and perks, sell her, update the pack, get a new one, modify her by console or my trainer until you get more or less the same old girl (but this time with all the special stuff)

Lamoli

Sep 20, 2017
i just noticed removing a negative fix upgrade that fix to lvl 4 but does not reset so its would interfere with this fix turning negative again or training a normal one to positive

i just made a mod to train a neutral fix to positive with training/magic method reusing the fix removal as base

instead of locking on bad fear roll i just turn it as negative fixation (you pushed her too hard outcome)

maybe a fix from <4 would be negative (original code) and if >=8 positive else neutral then i could even display a horizontal bar of every fixation showing their current lvls

Last edited:
Reactions: Kite80

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Lamoli: For girl customisation, you either change your girl's parameters manually or generate a new girl, as kite80 said. In theory, you can add events to a girl 'on the fly' by changing her girl.init_dict["background story/****"] labels via console or scripting, where **** is one of 'city_label', 'story_label', night_label' or 'interact_prompt'. But such finessing is really easy to mishandle.

Otherwise, cool mod. Consider posting it here and to the HHS forums when you're finished with it. I don't think Goldo's going to 'officially' change fixations to behave like that, since that's explicitly what he once said they shouldn't do. But other players may disagree and find your mod attractive.

tessarhea

Jul 2, 2017
Sometimes I'd really like to be able to affect fixations more. For example I get a "unique" version of a girl I really like, and then it turns out she's into something that's rather a turn-off for me.

I can ignore it, but I really rather wouldn't.
I can sell her and try again, I-don't-know-how-many-market-resets-later when she shows up again. Then I'll have to train her again, no guarantee she'll be a better fit.
I can change her ini-file to exclude that fixation in the future... but I'd have to manually do that for every favorite. That means a lot of girls. For many I'd have to outright create the ini-file.

Legendary items that, upon use, fire an event that lets you choose a fixation to be replaced by different one from the same pool or some such? I'd appreciate something along those lines.

Leortha

Jun 25, 2019
There's no real way to do that in the game directly, and there is not likely to be such in the vanilla game, as the the core game creator has described that there are limits to how much girl customization he wants to allow within the game, as that leads to less variety in the girls generated.

That said, there is a way to control a lot of that outside the game. A lot of girl packs include a "_BK.ini" file. Those that do not can have one added. I'll include a link to a generic BK.ini file from my Mega below. This file has no girl-specific information in it, but has a lot of comments about the various options for each value. You can add it to any girl pack that does not have a BK.ini file already, or use it to learn what to set on packs that already have BK.ini files, if you do not want to blow away what the girl pack creator has already set up.

The point is, if you learn to edit the BK.ini files, you can set up all your girls to preclude specific fixations. Think of the fixations you do not like, and add them to the "never_fixations" list. Then start a new game, and that girl will never again spawn with that fixation. The "start a new game" part is important, as there is really no way in an existing save game to load changes to the BK.ini file.

Capture.PNG

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
The "start a new game" part is important, as there is really no way in an existing save game to load changes to the BK.ini file.
Technically, that's not quite true, it's just something that hasn't been implemented. With good reason, I might add. But if you're desperate, you can use the console and edit a girl's init_dict to your liking. Most of it won't have an effect, but a few choice options do, e.g. events, as outlined above.

Same thing with fixations: Goldo's vision is to disallow too much homogenisation of the girls, so you don't get to add and remove fetishes at will. But if you absolutely can't live with an enema-obsessed geisha or whatever, you can just call e.g. 'MC.girls[17].remove_fixation("enemas")' from the console.

4.60 star(s) 44 Votes