VN Ren'Py Abandoned By Midsummer Moonlight [Ep. 2] [Mimir's Lab]

4.50 star(s) 38 Votes

enawnanyanamoose

Oct 31, 2019
Jesus Christ, okay, I've got a few words.

There's some quality writing here. I do greatly appreciate a story like this where the main character isn't some complete horndog who slobbers all over everyone in the family with only the flimsiest token excuses for moral anguish over it.

As a preface, it's clear this family has serious issues, with an ice-cold mom and an absent father. There's no hint of what may have happened to cause our protagonist to hate Natalie (the eldest) so much, but, fuck, the man does himself no favors in the likability department. He's not a spineless dick and balls on legs, he can talk to a human being who has a pair of boobs. I can only assume he's going through a dark period in his life where he struggles with the existential pain of not knowing where to go in life, and lacking the kind of guidance and nurturing that would normally be afforded by the parents of a healthy household. That's giving the benefit of the doubt that their uncle couldn't be that person, though, which I don't know if I'm inclined to buy.

But, holy shit, I want to kill this guy. He's got, as far as I can tell, no job, no hobbies, and no shame. He's got a pet classmate whose feelings he unapologetically makes use of for his own convenience, stringing her along continually for a little more animal comfort in his idle day-to-day existence. Of his sisters, Hannah (blonde, middle sister) is supposedly his favorite, and I can see why, as Audrey (the youngest), a kind, smart, and upstanding girl, has her goodwill used and abused for his benefit while she gets kicked in the face for doing anything other than meekly cleaning up after the messes he creates. Hannah only escapes the wrath of this self-absorbed prick's total disregard for anyone other than himself because of her free-spirited puckish nature leading her to involve herself in the sort of instigation that lets him get his fists bloody. However, she's also the only one that hasn't heard of MC's intent to enlist; once that happens, I get the sense that she'll also find herself getting emotionally beaten like she's a worthless sack of shit for trying to care about him.

I trust, however, that the reasons for this behavior will eventually come to light, and that we'll get something like a redemption arc out of this cruel prick as his lashing out at those who care about him falls away. This kind of behavior doesn't belie a healthy heart, and I believe we're getting this picture now in order to break him down later.

Speaking of characters who can rub you the wrong way, Victoria. She's certainly got charm, but she's also something of a cast-iron bitch, seemingly nurturing a bit of a sex addiction as a means of dealing with her own problems, and similarly taking a cold and borderline sadistic approach in her attempt to open up Audrey sexually. It has the air of the sort of dubious "help" offered possibly in part out of some kind of goodwill, but mostly as a means of shoring up one's own assurance in themselves and their self-serving values by dragging someone else into their own vice, a bit like a crab in a pot.

However, the acrid cynicism exhibited by these characters gives me faith, ironically, that the author himself does not share in their initial, Chapter 1 mindset. Even if I am wrong and the cynicism carries all the way through to the end, there's still a certain artistic value to it and the writer's literary ability to awaken such strong emotion and so deeply reflect the kind of existential anguish that is all too common in the postmodern 21st century world we've come to inhabit. There's an authentic artistic integrity to it that I can respect even if it will make me sick to witness, if that's the direction it continues in--or so the impression I have received from this brief single chapter has given me in my tendency to optimism.

In any case, it was worth a write-up from me, which is not something I'm often inclined to do. Bravo, Mimir's Lab; I applaud the effort you put forth towards composing a meritable work in a genre of fetish smut that is so often given to mindless cliches in order to skip to the action. Thank you, and I hope to see more in the future.

w123t4

May 26, 2019
It's been a while since I last played the game, kind of forgot what is the position of mc in the family.
Can someone tell me is he the youngest or being the 3rd child in the family? What is the actual age of four of them(Don't recall it was said in the game? Just remember something like big sis was already on work, other sis went to university and mc just finished high school due to his suspension?)

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
Jesus Christ, okay, I've got a few words.

There's some quality writing here. I do greatly appreciate a story like this where the main character isn't some complete horndog who slobbers all over everyone in the family with only the flimsiest token excuses for moral anguish over it.

As a preface, it's clear this family has serious issues, with an ice-cold mom and an absent father. There's no hint of what may have happened to cause our protagonist to hate Natalie (the eldest) so much, but, fuck, the man does himself no favors in the likability department. He's not a spineless dick and balls on legs, he can talk to a human being who has a pair of boobs. I can only assume he's going through a dark period in his life where he struggles with the existential pain of not knowing where to go in life, and lacking the kind of guidance and nurturing that would normally be afforded by the parents of a healthy household. That's giving the benefit of the doubt that their uncle couldn't be that person, though, which I don't know if I'm inclined to buy.

But, holy shit, I want to kill this guy. He's got, as far as I can tell, no job, no hobbies, and no shame. He's got a pet classmate whose feelings he unapologetically makes use of for his own convenience, stringing her along continually for a little more animal comfort in his idle day-to-day existence. Of his sisters, Hannah (blonde, middle sister) is supposedly his favorite, and I can see why, as Audrey (the youngest), a kind, smart, and upstanding girl, has her goodwill used and abused for his benefit while she gets kicked in the face for doing anything other than meekly cleaning up after the messes he creates. Hannah only escapes the wrath of this self-absorbed prick's total disregard for anyone other than himself because of her free-spirited puckish nature leading her to involve herself in the sort of instigation that lets him get his fists bloody. However, she's also the only one that hasn't heard of MC's intent to enlist; once that happens, I get the sense that she'll also find herself getting emotionally beaten like she's a worthless sack of shit for trying to care about him.

I trust, however, that the reasons for this behavior will eventually come to light, and that we'll get something like a redemption arc out of this cruel prick as his lashing out at those who care about him falls away. This kind of behavior doesn't belie a healthy heart, and I believe we're getting this picture now in order to break him down later.

Speaking of characters who can rub you the wrong way, Victoria. She's certainly got charm, but she's also something of a cast-iron bitch, seemingly nurturing a bit of a sex addiction as a means of dealing with her own problems, and similarly taking a cold and borderline sadistic approach in her attempt to open up Audrey sexually. It has the air of the sort of dubious "help" offered possibly in part out of some kind of goodwill, but mostly as a means of shoring up one's own assurance in themselves and their self-serving values by dragging someone else into their own vice, a bit like a crab in a pot.

However, the acrid cynicism exhibited by these characters gives me faith, ironically, that the author himself does not share in their initial, Chapter 1 mindset. Even if I am wrong and the cynicism carries all the way through to the end, there's still a certain artistic value to it and the writer's literary ability to awaken such strong emotion and so deeply reflect the kind of existential anguish that is all too common in the postmodern 21st century world we've come to inhabit. There's an authentic artistic integrity to it that I can respect even if it will make me sick to witness, if that's the direction it continues in--or so the impression I have received from this brief single chapter has given me in my tendency to optimism.

In any case, it was worth a write-up from me, which is not something I'm often inclined to do. Bravo, Mimir's Lab; I applaud the effort you put forth towards composing a meritable work in a genre of fetish smut that is so often given to mindless cliches in order to skip to the action. Thank you, and I hope to see more in the future.
Wow, just wow! I do enjoy praises from time to time but when making BMM, I was most excited to see what sort of analyses the community would come up with and this hit the spot for me so well. However, I won't be addressing any of your points as we'd be leading into spoiler territory and I believe discovery to be the most interesting aspect of a story. Hopefully I can carry on the flame from EP1 onwards, though I feel pretty confident I can at the moment.

It's been a while since I last played the game, kind of forgot what is the position of mc in the family.
Can someone tell me is he the youngest or being the 3rd child in the family? What is the actual age of four of them(Don't recall it was said in the game? Just remember something like big sis was already on work, other sis went to university and mc just finished high school due to his suspension?)
MC and Junie are both 18, just finished high school.
Sang Hee and Hannah are both 19, just finished first year of university.
Victoria and Audrey are both 20, just finished second year of university.
Natalie is 23, presumably done with university and now working.

w123t4

May 26, 2019
I hope there will be more important choices that will affect the future of story in ep2, no only just the agree or disagree of having sexual activities with the Lis but also something like changing the character's destiny by choosing some choices.
Speaking of the Lis, how can we sure we are going on the certain Li's path? By choosing the right answer to count points? Must we choose to have sexual activities with them in order to go into their path? I wish it is not some kind of fake harem that we build the harem during story progressing but finally need to choose one Li l to have a ending with her.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
I hope there will be more important choices that will affect the future of story in ep2, no only just the agree or disagree of having sexual activities with the Lis but also something like changing the character's destiny by choosing some choices.
Speaking of the Lis, how can we sure we are going on the certain Li's path? By choosing the right answer to count points? Must we choose to have sexual activities with them in order to go into their path? I wish it is not some kind of fake harem that we build the harem during story progressing but finally need to choose one Li l to have a ending with her.
I'm working on giving the player more agency with more choices from this next episode onwards.

There hasn't been a major enough choice to lock you out of a route with a girl yet but when it comes, I plan to color coat the choices so you'll know a choice has major "path" consequences.

JenusKudo

Aug 4, 2017
The problem with harem games are.... If you don't like one of the many characters, you will try to avoid her as much as possible... Which in turn leads you to an ending where you won't get your proper ending scenes... Because it's too much of work to create ending for all different combination girls

acausedeca

Jun 23, 2017
The problem with harem games are.... If you don't like one of the many characters, you will try to avoid her as much as possible... Which in turn leads you to an ending where you won't get your proper ending scenes... Because it's too much of work to create ending for all different combination girls
You need to play V.I.R.T.U.E.S.

GrogGuy

Apr 3, 2022
I agree, but I'd also say it's a two sided coin. As far as what I've played, the most common alternative is making just a single love interest. If people don't like that one love interest, they probably won't even play the game.

I imagine that's why the former is more prevalent. More chances that at least one character will be found appealing by any individual player. As you've said though, it's usually too much work to split things up too much.

Both sides kind of have their issues, I guess. Although, I do prefer a small cast of well developed characters myself.

• Haha
Reactions: JenusKudo

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
I have a solution for that that I won't elaborate on because of spoilers.

But one of the main reasons why I made this game was because a lot of harem games just feel like a bunch of single love interest games mixed into one. You have relations with different members of the harem and the others don't event acknowledge that the other person exists. What interests me about the concept of a harem game that I personally haven't felt done well in the adult VN space is showing the interpersonal relationships between characters in that harem. It shouldn't be all sunshine and roses; I like my fair share of friendly-ish catfights and personally, the jealousy is the icing on the cake.

CiaoNima

Jul 29, 2020
If you don't use the patch, the sisters turn into friends, while the mother stays his mother, so it doesn't look like she's going to be a love interest. Unless of course, the dev has some sort of plot twist in mind, where the MC eventually finds out she's not his biological mother and that's why she's been acting like a bitch... That being said though, Patreon doesn't like stepcest either.
Oh damn I really liked her character, she is a lot different than the usual mom characters and i just assumed that she was going to be a LI, i hope that she will be a LI, i hope that dev fixes it if it was mistake as the game is only at 0.1 it would be very hard to go back later, dev can you clarify this if possible?

acausedeca

Jun 23, 2017
Oh damn I really liked her character, she is a lot different than the usual mom characters and i just assumed that she was going to be a LI, i hope that she will be a LI, i hope that dev fixes it if it was mistake as the game is only at 0.1 it would be very hard to go back later, dev can you clarify this if possible?

Also curious on this. The mother is frigid, but I suppose we'll get more context soon.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
She won't be a love interest because of plot related reasons. If I were to rewrite her into anything other than a mother, to make her a love interest, the rest of the story wouldn't make sense. The story requires her to be his mother.

CiaoNima

Jul 29, 2020
She won't be a love interest because of plot related reasons. If I were to rewrite her into anything other than a mother, to make her a love interest, the rest of the story wouldn't make sense. The story requires her to be his mother.
Had a clue that it would be related to the plot, who knew that the mom character that I really liked because of being different than usual mom characters in these vn's was because she actually is his mom and nothing else lol that being said why would you need to rewrite her into something else? She can be a mother and a LI at the same time, can't she? Isn't that the whole point of an "i-patch"? I don't want to sound like I am crying about her not being a LI or demanding you make her one, and I understand that you can't just outright tell me/us why it's not possible as it's part of the whole plot, one thing I would suggest is that you make her a landlord or something of that sort in the Patreon version, it will be a long time before the VN is completed who knows you might change your mind down the road(hopium) and people are already using the patch for the other characters, that being said I am looking forward to the next and all the future updates

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Mimir's Lab

DanThaMan

Engaged Member
Jun 25, 2017
Had a clue that it would be related to the plot, who knew that the mom character that I really liked because of being different than usual mom characters in these vn's was because she actually is his mom and nothing else lol that being said why would you need to rewrite her into something else? She can be a mother and a LI at the same time, can't she? Isn't that the whole point of an "i-patch"? I don't want to sound like I am crying about her not being a LI or demanding you make her one, and I understand that you can't just outright tell me/us why it's not possible as it's part of the whole plot, one thing I would suggest is that you make her a landlord or something of that sort in the Patreon version, it will be a long time before the VN is completed who knows you might change your mind down the road(hopium) and people are already using the patch for the other characters, that being said I am looking forward to the next and all the future updates
She's the MC's mother even without the I-Patch so she can't be an LI because of Patreon..

4.50 star(s) 38 Votes