vrtrtr

May 8, 2017
Holy shit, I just fell into a rabbit hole whereupon I learned that you're the dude who made totdc back in the day.
No wonder this is great.
I'm not even sure I played tales in its finished version back then, it's been a hot minute.
Anyway, ridiculous that you're the same person and also good luck on this project!

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Holy shit, I just fell into a rabbit hole whereupon I learned that you're the dude who made totdc back in the day.
No wonder this is great.
I'm not even sure I played tales in its finished version back then, it's been a hot minute.
Anyway, ridiculous that you're the same person and also good luck on this project!
Thanks!

It's always good to know there are people around who remember TOTDC fondly. :D Hopefully you'll like the sequel as well, once it's ready to be shown (that one uses ren'py, so I am changing engine once again :ROFLMAO:).

Reactions: mirthless

ilmncsm

Apr 10, 2018
Just stumbled across this, and am liking it a lot so far. Got a question though, how much of the content is either missable or mutually exclusive? I don't have a problem with either, I just want to plan out in my head how many different runs it makes sense to do.

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
Just stumbled across this, and am liking it a lot so far. Got a question though, how much of the content is either missable or mutually exclusive? I don't have a problem with either, I just want to plan out in my head how many different runs it makes sense to do.
I haven't played the game in a long time so I might be missing some things either from forgetting or new update stuff, but from what I recall:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Spoiler-free advice: if you are a super completionist, probably at least 3 playthroughs are necessary to check almost everything. but there is a mechanic in the game that lets you check some content that would be mutually exclusive in a single playthrough.

Reactions: ilmncsm

ilmncsm

Apr 10, 2018
I haven't played the game in a long time so I might be missing some things either from forgetting or new update stuff, but from what I recall:

Spoiler-free advice: if you are a super completionist, probably at least 3 playthroughs are necessary to check almost everything. but there is a mechanic in the game that lets you check some content that would be mutually exclusive in a single playthrough.
Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Guess I'll be doing several runs then, should be fun.

vrtrtr

May 8, 2017
Thanks!

It's always good to know there are people around who remember TOTDC fondly. :D Hopefully you'll like the sequel as well, once it's ready to be shown (that one uses ren'py, so I am changing engine once again :ROFLMAO:).
I've heard good things about Ren'Py and as an enduser I can't complain about the engine at all. RAGS got somewhat dusty and I thought the "scripting" (?) was kinda awkward...but maybe that's just me being bad lol.
Looking forward to the sequel, but even more looking forward to Caliross being finished. I remember that I said something about wanting to wait ITT and I think you told me that I'd have to wait long :(
If you're working on TOTDC2 does that mean you're almost done with Caliross or is juggling those two projects more of a palate cleanser?

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
I've heard good things about Ren'Py and as an enduser I can't complain about the engine at all. RAGS got somewhat dusty and I thought the "scripting" (?) was kinda awkward...but maybe that's just me being bad lol.
Looking forward to the sequel, but even more looking forward to Caliross being finished. I remember that I said something about wanting to wait ITT and I think you told me that I'd have to wait long :(
If you're working on TOTDC2 does that mean you're almost done with Caliross or is juggling those two projects more of a palate cleanser?
RAGS is definitely a weird engine, being a text-adventure engine for the most part. It's also getting more annoying to run on modern systems, so while I have some nostalgia for it, I doubt I'd ever work on a full project with it ever again (maybe something small could still happen, though).

I have been working on TOTDC2 for a while now, but I am working very slowly on it. Part of it is not wanting to slow down Caliross, and the other was that I had some trouble along the way (I had to change artist, and afterward it took me a while to search for a new one, before finally settling with my current Caliross artist, but using a different style). I started early because I am new to Ren'py, and because I don't want to have a 2-3 months gap after finishing Caliross with no games.
There are a few options on the table on how to handle the transition (perhaps releasing updates for each game every other month).

I'd like to have a 1.0 for Caliross by the end of the year, but I might also go for 1.1-1.2 versions afterward if people want more, I'll keep an open mind (still, I am trying to work toward wrapping things up, since the development has been going on for a while now). There is so much to do, I probably shouldn't have been as ambitious in certain aspects, but I am not trying to cut too many corners either, so if I can't get the 1.0 before december I am not going to be majorly upset.

Reactions: kent32

Punk80954

Jul 2, 2017
just found myself on the harem path...This is gold! The only game I know of with a very hot dynamic of like a reverse ntr almost? Not sure how you would define it, but very good. I got to the point where the guard says there is no more brunches and the emperor said that the elven girl is his favorite, is that the most up to date section as of now? Oh and subbed on Patreon great game, I also played ToTDC back in the day, one of the best, happy to see you still got it.

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
just found myself on the harem path...This is gold! The only game I know of with a very hot dynamic of like a reverse ntr almost? Not sure how you would define it, but very good. I got to the point where the guard says there is no more brunches and the emperor said that the elven girl is his favorite, is that the most up to date section as of now? Oh and subbed on Patreon great game, I also played ToTDC back in the day, one of the best, happy to see you still got it.
Yeah, that's currently the last scene for that path (it's worth noting that if you fail to get chummy with the Emperor, she is also the one who gets picked, but you won't be involved afterward).

It's always nice to hear about the people who liked TOTDC, I enjoyed working on it quite a bit.

Lurker_555111

Jun 26, 2021
Yeah, that's currently the last scene for that path (it's worth noting that if you fail to get chummy with the Emperor, she is also the one who gets picked, but you won't be involved afterward).

It's always nice to hear about the people who liked TOTDC, I enjoyed working on it quite a bit.
Is it that scene where he anounces that brunches would be 1on1 from now on? Elf got picked to be the first one for that brunch, does that mean I failed to befriend the emperor? :(

Last edited:

vrtrtr

May 8, 2017
RAGS is definitely a weird engine, being a text-adventure engine for the most part. It's also getting more annoying to run on modern systems, so while I have some nostalgia for it, I doubt I'd ever work on a full project with it ever again (maybe something small could still happen, though).

I have been working on TOTDC2 for a while now, but I am working very slowly on it. Part of it is not wanting to slow down Caliross, and the other was that I had some trouble along the way (I had to change artist, and afterward it took me a while to search for a new one, before finally settling with my current Caliross artist, but using a different style). I started early because I am new to Ren'py, and because I don't want to have a 2-3 months gap after finishing Caliross with no games.
There are a few options on the table on how to handle the transition (perhaps releasing updates for each game every other month).

I'd like to have a 1.0 for Caliross by the end of the year, but I might also go for 1.1-1.2 versions afterward if people want more, I'll keep an open mind (still, I am trying to work toward wrapping things up, since the development has been going on for a while now). There is so much to do, I probably shouldn't have been as ambitious in certain aspects, but I am not trying to cut too many corners either, so if I can't get the 1.0 before december I am not going to be majorly upset.
Thanks for your in-depth reply, makes sense.
It feels like you truly are one of the few righteous devs in the business and I wish I could support you on patreon, but COVID has really fucked with my freelancing.
Anyway, sounds good, appreciate you, have a good one!

Slipperyminx

Feb 9, 2020
so I'm trying to edit the bimbo trait cause I don't enjoy the intelligence cap, managed to decrypt the game and have rpgmaker vx ace installed, but every time I try and open the common event file it loads for a spilt second then stops. if anyone knows what's going on it would be extremely helpful. thx

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Is it that scene where he anounces that brunches would be 1on1 from now on? Elf got picked to be the first one for that brunch, does that mean I failed to befriend the emperor? :(
Yes, sadly you did. There are 2 important stats to raise before that point: relationship must be at least at 5, but you must also have the variable 324 (Emperor Flirt) at 3 or more (basically, you must a good relationship and he must be attracted to you as well). Right now, the points are hard to get, but I plan to add some extra scenes at the castle, so that the margins are wider.

If you cheat and raise the flirt to 3, you can still get your date with the emperor even after he picks the elf princess, if you talk to him (a little debugging trick in the game, which I left in for testing and to cover for a bug).

Thanks for your in-depth reply, makes sense.
It feels like you truly are one of the few righteous devs in the business and I wish I could support you on patreon, but COVID has really fucked with my freelancing.
Anyway, sounds good, appreciate you, have a good one!
I try to not let people down, since this is all based on trust, but I take plenty of missteps like any others, so I can only hope I am doing a good enough job. I am also someone who plays games, so I understand the frustration when projects drag, fizzle out or get abandoned. Pre-Patreon era it was still disappointing to see games dropped, but nowadays you also have to worry if they are trying to drag things along on purpose, since money adds another layer and attracts plenty of vultures as well. It also funds better games (and niche ones that wouldn't be possible otherwise), though, so it is what it is.

Patreon is only for those with money to spare (Caliross also has a free version for a reason), so don't worry about it, I appreciate the thought. ^_^

• Red Heart
Reactions: vrtrtr

Lurker_555111

Jun 26, 2021
Yes, sadly you did. There are 2 important stats to raise before that point: relationship must be at least at 5, but you must also have the variable 324 (Emperor Flirt) at 3 or more (basically, you must a good relationship and he must be attracted to you as well). Right now, the points are hard to get, but I plan to add some extra scenes at the castle, so that the margins are wider.

If you cheat and raise the flirt to 3, you can still get your date with the emperor even after he picks the elf princess, if you talk to him (a little debugging trick in the game, which I left in for testing and to cover for a bug).
Thanks for the answer, my mistake was that I did all the brunches and only then discovered that I can casually talk and flirt with the emperor in the throne room. I'll start a whole new playthrough just to fix this mistake.:D

Last edited:

Punk80954

Jul 2, 2017

Ok so I should reload an earlier save and talk with the emperor more if I want to get like super cucked?

mdqp

Game Developer
Aug 25, 2018
Thanks for the answer, my mistake was that I did all the brunches and only then discovered that I can casually talk and flirt with the emperor in the throne room. I'll start a whole new playthrough just to fix this mistake.:D
I thought the dialogue mentioned going to talk to the Emperor, but maybe I forgot to do it or it didn't draw enough attention.

so I'm trying to edit the bimbo trait cause I don't enjoy the intelligence cap, managed to decrypt the game and have rpgmaker vx ace installed, but every time I try and open the common event file it loads for a spilt second then stops. if anyone knows what's going on it would be extremely helpful. thx
So you want to keep the trait, but want to remove the intelligence cap, is that right? Maybe I should just add some way to be both smart and a bimbo with a short quest or event. After all, the bimbo trait is usually limited to specific situations which trigger it, so being able to you use your head while not in "bimbo-mode" could make sense.

So when you launch RPG Maker, open the project and then select the common events tab, the engine crashes?

Ok so I should reload an earlier save and talk with the emperor more if I want to get like super cucked?
If you have been submissive with your future queen, you don't have to worry, as soon as I write the scene, she'll recruit you for her purposes. :ROFLMAO:

Slipperyminx

Feb 9, 2020
So you want to keep the trait, but want to remove the intelligence cap, is that right? Maybe I should just add some way to be both smart and a bimbo with a short quest or event. After all, the bimbo trait is usually limited to specific situations which trigger it, so being able to you use your head while not in "bimbo-mode" could make sense.

So when you launch RPG Maker, open the project and then select the common events tab, the engine crashes?
if you could do that it would be awesome, and I would prefer that then figuring out how to do things myself.

when I double click the common events file it pops up saying load then quickly cancels itself, I tried dragging and dropping it into rpg maker vx ace, but it says "unexpected file format"

Slipperyminx

Feb 9, 2020
if you could do that it would be awesome, and I would prefer that then figuring out how to do things myself.

when I double click the common events file it pops up saying load then quickly cancels itself, I tried dragging and dropping it into rpg maker vx ace, but it says "unexpected file format"
I just figured it out

Reactions: mdqp

Lurker_555111

Jun 26, 2021
I thought the dialogue mentioned going to talk to the Emperor, but maybe I forgot to do it or it didn't draw enough attention.
Most likely I misinterpreted it or something, or even simply forgot about it untill it was too late. I discovered I have a save right before joining the harem, so instead or replaying 20 hours from the beginning, I only have to replay 4 hours from mid chapter 3 onward.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: mdqp

Slipperyminx

Feb 9, 2020
for whoever is updating the walkthrough could you perhaps structure it where its like these quest are available in chapter 1 etc.

4.30 star(s) 43 Votes