NotAnAlien

Jul 5, 2017
One day after I graduate from school I'm gonna work professionally. I was afraid that my chances of finding a job could be hindered if people were to find out I that I'm the dev of Captivity. Or, what if people who know me very well suddenly find out I am the dev of a game in which you get raped, egged and knotted? I was afraid of the opinions of other people in regards to being an H game dev, basically. I don't want to be known as a perv in real life. I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do in regards to this, and for the last month the conclusion was to just stop working on Captivity all together.

Also, I've made many programming mistakes during the development of this game. I used Unity in all the wrong ways to try and get exactly what I wanted for this game. The result is a monstrosity, a true abomination of messy code and weird use of the Unity engine. The messed up composition of creepy unintelligible code and downright disturbing use of the game engine defies all laws of physics and defies even the most basic forms of logical thinking possessed by the human mind. But it works. But unfortunately developing this game further can be rough because of those poor choices I made in the past.
I don't feel bad about it though. This was a learning project for me anyways and I've learned alot.

Couple these two major issues and the fact that school is sapping me dry of energy alot of the time, and you get a lack of motivation, an increase of laziness and slight depression whenever you even think about working on Captivity.
Gave me a god damn heart attack reading that until I reached the "but" part. Glad to know you're still in the picture though and being upfront about everything. It means a lot. Also, does this mean modding support won't ever be completed?

Perveloper

Nov 20, 2020
Gave me a god damn heart attack reading that until I reached the "but" part. Glad to know you're still in the picture though and being upfront about everything. It means a lot. Also, does this mean modding support won't ever be completed?
Unfortunately no. It would take alot of effort to add modding tools due to bad code present in the game already. Also, I don't think modding tools would help the game too much anyways. It was mostly me brainstorming new ideas back when I was talking about it. People kinda assumed I was dedicated to building those tools but I never really confirmed I would.

TheNextOne

Apr 21, 2020
Unfortunately no. It would take alot of effort to add modding tools due to bad code present in the game already. Also, I don't think modding tools would help the game too much anyways. It was mostly me brainstorming new ideas back when I was talking about it. People kinda assumed I was dedicated to building those tools but I never really confirmed I would.
Would you consider releasing the project files to public and/or making a public repository so that others could contribute to it?

Stupidkiller

Jan 12, 2018
Good to hear from you dude. I'm saddened that we will likely not see a gallery mode or even new levels, but I understand your reasoning at least. For what it's worth I still don't regret purchasing the game.
I wish you all the best and look forward to your future endeavors.

SonaraFox

Jul 6, 2017
Would you consider releasing the project files to public and/or making a public repository so that others could contribute to it?
this is something i would love to see, tbh, especially if you're considering moving on to a new project. It would be pretty cool to see what the community would do with a sort of moddable open sourced version that would have quite a bit of staying power depending on how healthy the mod scene would become.

talovehm2408

Aug 24, 2020
I do wish for a free/experiment mode though, where you're pitted with only one of the enemy so that you can see their animation and all. Trying to get to Jacky seems to be quite the hassle when you're playing one-handed.
I'm struggle to find jacky too lol , he's the only enemy i haven't encounter in the game ,I always die before I can open the seal iron door when I have activated 3 generators

stonegate8

Apr 20, 2020
Been expecting this game to transition to "Abandoned" or "Completed" officially for months now - it really sucks but Perv's reasons are all valid and its not like he needs to justify any personal decisions he makes. Still, it sucks. This game was really special and even though it was becoming increasingly obvious the game would never receive another update, I still held out hope. RIP

VI16

Aug 23, 2018
This game might be on hold (or even be "finished" ) for now. It honestly hurts my heart a little bit to see people being sad that no new stuff has been released for a while.

There are multiple reasons as to why development has been so slow and non existent. One of them is not having any time due to school. But there are actually other reasons aswell.

One day after I graduate from school I'm gonna work professionally. I was afraid that my chances of finding a job could be hindered if people were to find out I that I'm the dev of Captivity. Or, what if people who know me very well suddenly find out I am the dev of a game in which you get raped, egged and knotted? I was afraid of the opinions of other people in regards to being an H game dev, basically. I don't want to be known as a perv in real life. I spent weeks trying to figure out what to do in regards to this, and for the last month the conclusion was to just stop working on Captivity all together.

Also, I've made many programming mistakes during the development of this game. I used Unity in all the wrong ways to try and get exactly what I wanted for this game. The result is a monstrosity, a true abomination of messy code and weird use of the Unity engine. The messed up composition of creepy unintelligible code and downright disturbing use of the game engine defies all laws of physics and defies even the most basic forms of logical thinking possessed by the human mind. But it works. But unfortunately developing this game further can be rough because of those poor choices I made in the past.
I don't feel bad about it though. This was a learning project for me anyways and I've learned alot.

Couple these two major issues and the fact that school is sapping me dry of energy alot of the time, and you get a lack of motivation, an increase of laziness and slight depression whenever you even think about working on Captivity.

But things might change. I have talked to multiple people about some of these issues. I got a new perspective on the whole 'opinions of other people' thing. I think I can keep developing h-games without worrying too much about my public image irl.

Alot of the code sucks and it will remain so. This is almost a permanent issue for this game, a disease. I'm starting to think about working on something new. 3D sounds interesting.

School is not going anywhere. I just gotta plan my time well and take advantage of free time when I get it.

There is a good chance this game is finished, but the dev is not finished yet. I don't know what I'm going to do now, but I'll let the community of this game know when I do.

Again, thank you for playing and enjoying the game. If you actually bought the game on Itch, I thank you even more. You probably don't even know how much this little bit of money I made with this game has helped me. Thank you so much.
We live in a society

Feb 25, 2021
Great game and well worthy of the "completed" tag even if it doesn't feel like it to the dev. My only complaint is that Jungle seems like 3 steps above the other levels in difficulty. If either the minors or the bear traps were gone, I think it'd be fine. But with both it's just rough. But the difficulty is pretty damn good all things considered -- definitely refreshing to play a tough H game with a great feel like Captivity.

kayot

Dec 19, 2017
The game is brutally hard, but I'm guessing that's by design. I've only played the shack, and it was brutal until I discovered the gun vending machine on the other side of the shack. Then it was pretty good. I'm scared to move to the caves with all that the comments have stated about it.

What I'd like is a progressive gallery. Nothing fancy, just a dress up and monster select would be enough for me. It's hard isolating a single monster for a few seconds of ideal watching. Gallery mode would need invincibility as well as a kill switch for both quitting and killing mobs to enjoy the pregnancy/parasite content. Right now I'm using Cheat Engine and selectively killing mobs. It's very tedious, but I like the dress up aspect. My only other option would be to make the ideal outfit and then use OBS to record it. Not as fun, but for now that's the only option. It's too hard to play one handed.

I read in an earlier post from a non-dev the idea of releasing source. Instead of a full source, instead just release project files but require the extracted content of the purchased game. I remember reading that it's possible to decompile Unity games, but I've never attempted such a feat. Mainly because I still haven't looked at my Zenva courses (Full time employed + 1 part time, so no personal time, school loans amiright?) for Unity, so I wouldn't have a clue on where to begin editing in the features I want. Plus it feels wrong decompiling a retail game :/

As for getting pidgen holded as an hdev. My sister worries about that. She is an artist and she has two accounts at most art websites. One for the 18+ stuff, and another for boring stuff. I personally don't think it would cause you any trouble. You wouldn't put it into a project folder for submission. My current workplace doesn't even ask for a portfolio for our DevOps. You just need to pass a few basic programming tests. Our systems are programmed in PHP, Python, some other stuff, and a bunch of web sounding stuff (angular, node, full stack, some other buzz words, etc?). As a C/C++,C# dev, I don't do well other there and I just do in house tools.

As for a Steam release. Steam will allow this game on their site. I've purchased quite a few hgames from Steam. My favorites are Meltys Quest, and most of what Kagura translates. I prefer Steam over DLSite since Steam is usually uncensored (with a patch). If nothing else, try and see what happens. They charge a 30% commission so adjust your price up to 8$ to cover for that if you're dead set on 5$. I didn't like making an itch account since I'll never use it beyond this purchase.

That said, 5$ is a steal. Pixel art games are a rare breed and pixel art hgame are rarer. Not looking forward to losing a pixel art programmer to the bs that is 3d. I've only seen a few decent 3D hgames. Most are just cash cows and/or never completed.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
The game is brutally hard, but I'm guessing that's by design. I've only played the shack, and it was brutal until I discovered the gun vending machine on the other side of the shack. Then it was pretty good. I'm scared to move to the caves with all that the comments have stated about it.

What I'd like is a progressive gallery. Nothing fancy, just a dress up and monster select would be enough for me. It's hard isolating a single monster for a few seconds of ideal watching. Gallery mode would need invincibility as well as a kill switch for both quitting and killing mobs to enjoy the pregnancy/parasite content. Right now I'm using Cheat Engine and selectively killing mobs. It's very tedious, but I like the dress up aspect. My only other option would be to make the ideal outfit and then use OBS to record it. Not as fun, but for now that's the only option. It's too hard to play one handed.

I read in an earlier post from a non-dev the idea of releasing source. Instead of a full source, instead just release project files but require the extracted content of the purchased game. I remember reading that it's possible to decompile Unity games, but I've never attempted such a feat. Mainly because I still haven't looked at my Zenva courses (Full time employed + 1 part time, so no personal time, school loans amiright?) for Unity, so I wouldn't have a clue on where to begin editing in the features I want. Plus it feels wrong decompiling a retail game :/

As for getting pidgen holded as an hdev. My sister worries about that. She is an artist and she has two accounts at most art websites. One for the 18+ stuff, and another for boring stuff. I personally don't think it would cause you any trouble. You wouldn't put it into a project folder for submission. My current workplace doesn't even ask for a portfolio for our DevOps. You just need to pass a few basic programming tests. Our systems are programmed in PHP, Python, some other stuff, and a bunch of web sounding stuff (angular, node, full stack, some other buzz words, etc?). As a C/C++,C# dev, I don't do well other there and I just do in house tools.

As for a Steam release. Steam will allow this game on their site. I've purchased quite a few hgames from Steam. My favorites are Meltys Quest, and most of what Kagura translates. I prefer Steam over DLSite since Steam is usually uncensored (with a patch). If nothing else, try and see what happens. They charge a 30% commission so adjust your price up to 8$ to cover for that if you're dead set on 5$. I didn't like making an itch account since I'll never use it beyond this purchase.

That said, 5$ is a steal. Pixel art games are a rare breed and pixel art hgame are rarer. Not looking forward to losing a pixel art programmer to the bs that is 3d. I've only seen a few decent 3D hgames. Most are just cash cows and/or never completed.
well if you scroll up a bit, you can see that the dev himself pretty much has ended any plans regarding Captivity, sadly

• Sad
Reactions: cooldude33

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
As for a Steam release. Steam will allow this game on their site.
Steam is tricky because whether a game is allowed or not basically boils down to if the employee handling game admissions that day has an agenda or not.

kayot

Dec 19, 2017
I've decompiled the Assembly-CSharp.dll and sorted the class files by inheritance. Without a deeper understanding of Unity, this was the best I could do. It's still kind of messy, but again, don't know Unity. Obviously the files are uncommented as this is a decompile and I don't have access to the pdb files. (Only the programmer has this file, and the real source code. Obviously) I was surprised that the decompile kept the original variable names. One pass through an obfuscator would disable this, so not using one for commercial code was quite nice for my decompile. If the author has truly abandoned this game, then this could give the game a second life.

It can be compiled with Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition. Just drop the resulting DLL file at Captivity_Data\Managed\

I have no idea how to handle the extracted assets. I did extract them, but that's as far as I can go with that. I've only ever done translation work, so this is new for me. If I ever do my Zenva courses I purchased two years ago, I might figure out what to do with them. So yea, probably not going to happen.

As for this source, you can modify a whole lot of settings. No, you can't add stages or enemies. That would require a full decompile and understanding of Unity. What you can do is lower the max size of waves, change healing rates, and a few other things. I couldn't find hard gun data, so I'm assuming that would be in the assets... That I don't know how to use. Another thing you can do is forge the SQLite data since the reads and writes are done in the C# code. The database itself can be opened with "DB Browser for SQLite". The db is located at AppData\LocalLow\Perveloper\Captivity\xGameDB.db and isn't encrypted.

Anyway, this was a fun exercise. I ended up writing a sort program for the class data since there were so-many-files and when sorted, there were still a lot. Originally I was doing it by hand and dividing things based on the levels. That fell apart once I saw inheritance. I'm not sure if it's normal, but I tend to put my related classes into a single file. For example, I would have combined all the MonoBehaviour data under a single file and collapsed or divided it with regions. I do this with Entity Core mappings since it's easier to have one large collapsed file then hundreds of smaller files. That said, I don't know why the author says their code is terrible. Working in IT I've seen far far FAR worse code. This is average. Maybe it's my lack of understanding of Unity?

Regardless, have fun and happy programming!

Tattletale21

Jan 26, 2020
Steam is tricky because whether a game is allowed or not basically boils down to if the employee handling game admissions that day has an agenda or not.
the employee must have had a very special agenda to allow Corruption of Champions 2 on there then.

4.30 star(s) 80 Votes