FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Hey, not my problem you admitted your game's design relies on gimmicks instead of skill lmao. Nice try on the goalpost-moving, but it ain't happening buddy.
Sure, but that's not all of the game design pie you're talking about. The game might be beatable without glitches or cheats, but instead of relying on skill or having tricks explained in any of the in-game materials, you need to either trial-and-error your way into the gimmicks people have posted in this thread for the game or read the thread. If consulting a walkthrough is the primary way people advance in your game, then you've made a bad game.
1: It's not their game.

2: What gimmicks? So far it just seems like you're making shit up to explain why you're having trouble with the game, lol. You afraid to mention what you're having trouble with because I or somebody else here could prove you wrong? You've been vague as shit this entire time. If you had something solid, some people here might actually agree with you.

3: There are guides, not so much walkthroughs. If you've gone through most of them, you'd see we're all giving different advice most the time, meaning many playstyles are viable. You don't need to follow a step by step guide for any map, they're suggestions for people to give you an idea of how you can play. Reminds me of how somebody earlier in the thread swore by shotguns most the time and I was sure the machine guns were usually best at the time. Couldn't really have contrasting opinions like that if the game required a single playstyle. We also had arguments over best Jungle strats and such.

You seem unwilling to learn either by yourself or with guides, so not sure why you're still here. The game design is fine, you'll just never realize it I guess because you've already decided it's somebody else's fault and not your own. If you ever feel like pulling your head out of your ass, this is actually a really rare game for the consistent challenge it offers.

No matter how good you get, you can still fuck up, but it's entirely beatable and many weapons/strategies are viable. Really fucking hard to find games like this that are still a challenge even once you know what you're doing. It might come at the expense of getting people like you in the thread once in a while that don't want to take the time to learn the game, but I'd say it's worth it.

I'm going to guess you suck at dodging, because that's the skill part that takes the most time to get down and will fuck you up real fast. There also aren't any bullet sponges at turn 3, even the pistol is still plenty viable with headshots at that point.

Not saying the game is perfect, I feel like some weapons could be balanced a bit better, but that's some basic shit that happens with games like this when there are so many options, especially when the game is still unfinished. As I was editting this I've been messing around in the hive at floors 20+ trying out all the weapons vs end game enemies. Most of the 2k+ stuff so far works just fine. I even managed to make the Halman 785 work for a bit, that was rough, lol.

Last edited:

danksterdan

Mar 12, 2021
1: It's not their game.

2: What gimmicks? So far it just seems like you're making shit up to explain why you're having trouble with the game, lol. You afraid to mention what you're having trouble with because I or somebody else here could prove you wrong? You've been vague as shit this entire time. If you had something solid, some people here might actually agree with you.

3: There are guides, not so much walkthroughs. If you've gone through most of them, you'd see we're all giving different advice most the time, meaning many playstyles are viable. You don't need to follow a step by step guide for any map, they're suggestions for people to give you an idea of how you can play. Reminds me of how somebody earlier in the thread swore by shotguns most the time and I was sure the machine guns were usually best at the time. Couldn't really have contrasting opinions like that if the game required a single playstyle. We also had arguments over best Jungle strats and such.

You seem unwilling to learn either by yourself or with guides, so not sure why you're still here. The game design is fine, you'll just never realize it I guess because you've already decided it's somebody else's fault and not your own. If you ever feel like pulling your head out of your ass, this is actually a really rare game for the consistent challenge it offers.

No matter how good you get, you can still fuck up, but it's entirely beatable and many weapons/strategies are viable. Really fucking hard to find games like this that are still a challenge even once you know what you're doing. It might come at the expense of getting people like you in the thread once in a while that don't want to take the time to learn the game, but I'd say it's worth it.

I'm going to guess you suck at dodging, because that's the skill part that takes the most time to get down and will fuck you up real fast. There also aren't any bullet sponges at turn 3, even the pistol is still plenty viable with headshots at that point.

Not saying the game is perfect, I feel like some weapons could be balanced a bit better, but that's some basic shit that happens with games like this when there are so many options, especially when the game is still unfinished. As I was editting this I've been messing around in the hive at floors 20+ trying out all the weapons vs end game enemies. Most of the 2k+ stuff so far works just fine. I even managed to make the Halman 785 work for a bit, that was rough, lol.
1. Never said it was lmao. Seriously dude, learn to read already.

2. Stated previously, but out of consideration for you I'll post a few choice ones lol.

Shack: literally a cakewalk as soon as you figure out how headshots work and rolling, so no gimmicks necessary

Cave: "the Cave is actual nonsense, but it used to be so much worse. Camping in the tunnels on the right causes ground enemies to approach from below and air units to approach from above, which helps, but isn't enough to reliably secure victory. There's a Luger in the pit that can be bought without turning on the lights, and you should only turn on the lights when you're ready to make a play for the gun machine and pray for a good SMG to carry you." TLDR: i dunno man pray to rngesus I guess. Also has the second-worst designed enemy in the game, which is fluffed to "prefer hunting in the darkness" despite the fact that turning on the lights attracts more of the fuckers.

Goblin Camp: "camping the upper ledge... somehow, or by running back and forth on the ground." The latter of which, might I add, is a death sentence unless you manage to spot and dodge every beartrap in the grass while also headshotting greenies and dodging their blowguns.

Alien Ship: "Alien Ship isn't bad, you just need to open the first door as soon as possible to create a camping spot, then use the weapons on the walls to hold out until you have enough to open the next two doors," which is unrealistic considering you'll get bumrushed by two dozen of the alien ground mooks by wave three.

FER: also cakewalk, unless you unlock a certain door after which the game begins spawning the worst-designed enemy I've found so far. God help your genitals if you get knocked down at low-ish strength near one of these because their scream pierces i-frames, locking you in a rape loop.

Sure, you can argue that "well, you're just salty because you're bad at rolling." Kinda falls flat when you have endgame enemies that ignore said rolling out of nowhere and wave 3 bumrushes of mooks that cover your entire roll distance.

"But there's no bullet sponges on wave three, what are you talking about?" Never said there was, unless you count a zillion enemy critters a "bullet sponge". It's called zerg rushing, and will arguably fuck you up more than if there was just one massive sponge dude.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What weird things to lie about for starters, lol.

Cave: "the Cave is actual nonsense, but it used to be so much worse. Camping in the tunnels on the right causes ground enemies to approach from below and air units to approach from above, which helps, but isn't enough to reliably secure victory. There's a Luger in the pit that can be bought without turning on the lights, and you should only turn on the lights when you're ready to make a play for the gun machine and pray for a good SMG to carry you." TLDR: i dunno man pray to rngesus I guess. Also has the second-worst designed enemy in the game, which is fluffed to "prefer hunting in the darkness" despite the fact that turning on the lights attracts more of the fuckers.
There are multiple weapons you can use to deal with the early game. Most the shotguns and smgs work just fine, the cave also has a handful of weapons around the map if you're really desperate. You'd have to be beyond unlucky to not find anything for more than a round. I could make a video for you if you'd like using just about any weapon available on the maps. I love those kinds of challenges, gets boring using the Uzi/Q-Lock all the time.

Shotgun.png
The rifle up here is always available/viable and you only need to kill a handful of enemies in the 4th wave to be able to buy it (You can buy those weapons mid round, unlike the vendor). You can also just straight clear wave 4 with the pistol, kite enemies around a bit. There's also a shotgun hidden on the far left side hidden in the dark. It's terrible, but you might prefer it over the pistol. I just cleared wave 5 with it though.

Goblin Camp: "camping the upper ledge... somehow, or by running back and forth on the ground." The latter of which, might I add, is a death sentence unless you manage to spot and dodge every beartrap in the grass while also headshotting greenies and dodging their blowguns.
This one I'd agree that you're a bit more shoehorned into certain playstyles, at least I couldn't make the running back and forth work well, but that was a long time ago. I'll give it a try later.

Alien Ship: "Alien Ship isn't bad, you just need to open the first door as soon as possible to create a camping spot, then use the weapons on the walls to hold out until you have enough to open the next two doors," which is unrealistic considering you'll get bumrushed by two dozen of the alien ground mooks by wave three.
That's not even the strategy I use, so that's already out the window. Did you watch my videos? I'd say it's pretty pointless to open the doors immediately actually.

FER: also cakewalk, unless you unlock a certain door after which the game begins spawning the worst-designed enemy I've found so far. God help your genitals if you get knocked down at low-ish strength near one of these because their scream pierces i-frames, locking you in a rape loop.
What? The black invisible clown robots? That enemy is amazing, you can see them ahead of time and they move incredibly slowly.

Overall yeah, it just seems like you haven't played enough. You're criticizing shit that shouldn't even be a problem with a bit of experience. I'm pretty confused by you saying a couple of maps are cakewalks, but then complaining about the maps that have challenge in them. Shouldn't that be preferred over things being too easy? You're basically going to extremes here like one thing is far too easy and one is far too hard, shit isn't gapped that far apart. Some maps just require different weapons/strategies and if you keep trying to force the shack strategies, you're going to lose.

That you find the robot map easy like the shack is proof you're probably doing the same shit as usual because you can get away with the same shit on those maps but not the others. And yeah, like I mentioned, the cave and goblin map both require really good dodging. You can get away with sucking at dodging on the other maps, but not those. Shack and robot map both have a shit ton of ledges so they're easy to camp on. The goblin map does too, but you're pressured into often being on the same floor as the blowdart gobs because of the sprinters and tanky dudes, so lots of dodging needed. Space station is about in the middle because you'll need to dodge the ranged jellies at first, later on you can just blast them away before they're even a threat.

Sure, you can argue that "well, you're just salty because you're bad at rolling." Kinda falls flat when you have endgame enemies that ignore said rolling out of nowhere and wave 3 bumrushes of mooks that cover your entire roll distance.
Yep, you need to practice dodging. We've solved the riddle. I promise you you can succeed on pretty much any map with any reasonably priced weapon for the round once you're more skilled and know how the enemies attack. There are certainly weapons I wouldn't recommend unless you want to suffer on certain maps. The rifles and revolvers are generally for added challenge (Actually, the most expensive rifle is great on a few maps), lol.

Last edited:

smithsmithsmith

Aug 16, 2018
I was going to type out individual responses to each level, but the more I read what you've written the more it feels like wasted effort. It seems like you tried the strategies people provided for all of 30 seconds and then declared them "unrealistic" when you didn't instantly win.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Btw, cleared wave 20 staying on the forest floor the entire time and I didn't use vendor weapons at the start just to try to avoid any "Rng" smgs in the vendor early arguments. I'm a lot better than I was when I made the first videos lol. The NP-40 isn't so bad when you know how to save a shit ton of money and can buy the damage power up at like wave 9. You need a decent secondary weapon so I had to buy vendor stuff eventually there, can't make it through entire waves with just that if unlucky with ammo drops.

Damn, audio desyncs eventually. Maybe using VLC to convert/shrink the file size wasn't the best move, lol. Original was 2.3gb.

Last edited:

danksterdan

Mar 12, 2021

What weird things to lie about for starters, lol.

There are multiple weapons you can use to deal with the early game. Most the shotguns and smgs work just fine, the cave also has a handful of weapons around the map if you're really desperate. You'd have to be beyond unlucky to not find anything for more than a round. I could make a video for you if you'd like using just about any weapon available on the maps. I love those kinds of challenges, gets boring using the Uzi/Q-Lock all the time.

View attachment 1281405
The rifle up here is always available/viable and you only need to kill a handful of enemies in the 4th wave to be able to buy it (You can buy those weapons mid round, unlike the vendor). You can also just straight clear wave 4 with the pistol, kite enemies around a bit. There's also a shotgun hidden on the far left side hidden in the dark. It's terrible, but you might prefer it over the pistol. I just cleared wave 5 with it though.

This one I'd agree that you're a bit more shoehorned into certain playstyles, at least I couldn't make the running back and forth work well, but that was a long time ago. I'll give it a try later.

That's not even the strategy I use, so that's already out the window. Did you watch my videos? I'd say it's pretty pointless to open the doors immediately actually.

What? The black invisible clown robots? That enemy is amazing, you can see them ahead of time and they move incredibly slowly.

Overall yeah, it just seems like you haven't played enough. You're criticizing shit that shouldn't even be a problem with a bit of experience. I'm pretty confused by you saying a couple of maps are cakewalks, but then complaining about the maps that have challenge in them. Shouldn't that be preferred over things being too easy? You're basically going to extremes here like one thing is far too easy and one is far too hard, shit isn't gapped that far apart. Some maps just require different weapons/strategies and if you keep trying to force the shack strategies, you're going to lose.

That you find the robot map easy like the shack is proof you're probably doing the same shit as usual because you can get away with the same shit on those maps but not the others. And yeah, like I mentioned, the cave and goblin map both require really good dodging. You can get away with sucking at dodging on the other maps, but not those. Shack and robot map both have a shit ton of ledges so they're easy to camp on. The goblin map does too, but you're pressured into often being on the same floor as the blowdart gobs because of the sprinters and tanky dudes, so lots of dodging needed. Space station is about in the middle because you'll need to dodge the ranged jellies at first, later on you can just blast them away before they're even a threat.

Yep, you need to practice dodging. We've solved the riddle. I promise you you can succeed on pretty much any map with any reasonably priced weapon for the round once you're more skilled and know how the enemies attack. There are certainly weapons I wouldn't recommend unless you want to suffer on certain maps. The rifles and revolvers are generally for added challenge (Actually, the most expensive rifle is great on a few maps), lol.
1. > if

Look dude, I get that you're grasping at straws for things to get offended at, but this ain't the hill to die on.

2. The picture you posted has all the lights switched on, which takes a sizable amount of cash. If you have enough dough to afford both that and a 1350 rifle, you're either cheating or you Agent Smith'd your way through multiple waves of getting bumrushed by ground mooks.

3. On this we agree, so nothing from me here.

4. Lmao. Yeah, until you're busy shooting other things and one sneaks up on you. Or you get knocked down by a different enemy, and it spawns while you're busy giving yourself carpal tunnel with the buttonmashing breakout mechanic (yes, holding Up Arrow exists. No, it's not viable).

5. That would be a compelling argument, if not for the fact that I never ledgecamp. In fact, I don't even know how to. I've tried it once on Shack with the tree branch ledge, and quickly found out that it sucked. Primarily because unless you manage to find a lull, trying to climb back on the ledge to continue camping is a great way to donate 70% of your health to charity.

• Angry
Reactions: seva_morozow

Gadriel

Dec 15, 2017
5. That would be a compelling argument, if not for the fact that I never ledgecamp. In fact, I don't even know how to. I've tried it once on Shack with the tree branch ledge, and quickly found out that it sucked. Primarily because unless you manage to find a lull, trying to climb back on the ledge to continue camping is a great way to donate 70% of your health to charity.
...Fine, I'll feed the troll a bit.
Ledge camping is really simple. Stand back from the ledge, shoot enemies heads as they climb up. It's a natural chokepoint, and great for shotguns and the elite sniper rifle, which penetrate targets.
You get free headshots at a consistent height, and if you get overrun, you can leap off the ledge to gain some extra distance. It's not rocket science.
Oh, and enemies do not attack you when you're climbing a ledge while under pursuit, they climb with you. I don't know how you managed to take 70% health from climbing a ledge. Did you miss? Repeatedly?
Shack's ledge is even more advantageous because Dogs do not move while the player is on ledges, because they can't climb and thus can't reach.
You know how you're whining about this game needing secret strategies and normal people don't know them? Normal people know that ledges are good camping spots, so this one is entirely YOUR FAULT, and it is recommended that you GET GUD immediately.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Why we should? The author has no intention in leaving the game. He just has some IRL problems, like exams. As soon as he deals with them, he'll return.
He's mentioned he's probably done with Captivity, but might continue another game. Apparently lots of spaghetti code and he doesn't want to continue with it. I'd say the abandoned tag is just fine unless the dev changes their mind on that.

"Alot of the code sucks and it will remain so. This is almost a permanent issue for this game, a disease. I'm starting to think about working on something new. 3D sounds interesting. School is not going anywhere. I just gotta plan my time well and take advantage of free time when I get it. There is a good chance this game is finished, but the dev is not finished yet. I don't know what I'm going to do now, but I'll let the community of this game know when I do. Again, thank you for playing and enjoying the game."

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
The game is more completed than abandoned.
There are still game breaking bugs/major bugs and it's unfinished by the dev's own admittance, but if you're just saying that the game has a decent amount of content, sure.

This and Pytfall being abandoned/unfinished hit me harder than anything else, and I've been around here and Line Marvel for 10+ years. Sadness. Just gotta hope we'll get more games like this one day. So rare to find games that can be replayed every so often. Most H games I just clear them once and I never replay them. Only games I replay pretty often are Hounds of Blade/Meteor, Nanocrisis, Fairy Fighting (Rarely), Captivity, Heroine Rumble. All actiony fighters/shooters, interesting. It's because there's always a challenge even once you know what you're doing with them.

As much as I've loved some rpgs and such, a lot of the time once you figure shit out, all the difficulty goes away. Like Tobihime and Pytfall I've played quite a bit, but I dunno if I'd replay those types anymore without more content now. Gets to that point where you're just doing the absolute best at everything and it's like you're just going through the motions.

This reminded me of the old newgrounds game Madness Combat/Interactive, might have to go find that. Probably my nostalgia from those games is part of the reason why I love this game so much. Wow, they're still making games:
Dunno how I feel about the 3d though.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: HardDrank and jttth

danksterdan

Mar 12, 2021
...Fine, I'll feed the troll a bit.
Ledge camping is really simple. Stand back from the ledge, shoot enemies heads as they climb up. It's a natural chokepoint, and great for shotguns and the elite sniper rifle, which penetrate targets.
You get free headshots at a consistent height, and if you get overrun, you can leap off the ledge to gain some extra distance. It's not rocket science.
Oh, and enemies do not attack you when you're climbing a ledge while under pursuit, they climb with you. I don't know how you managed to take 70% health from climbing a ledge. Did you miss? Repeatedly?
Shack's ledge is even more advantageous because Dogs do not move while the player is on ledges, because they can't climb and thus can't reach.
You know how you're whining about this game needing secret strategies and normal people don't know them? Normal people know that ledges are good camping spots, so this one is entirely YOUR FAULT, and it is recommended that you GET GUD immediately.
Cool factoid, still not relevant to the discussion, buddyboy. Why don't you calm down and scroll up so you know what you're talking about, mmkay?

stonegate8

Apr 20, 2020
In all honesty I asked for the abandoned tag because I am a bit sad that new content for Captivity is highly unlikely but Perveloper has made it quite clear he does not see himself returning to this game and I respect his decision. I asked for the tag out of spite too ok

jtypezaku

Sep 4, 2020
In all honesty I asked for the abandoned tag because I am a bit sad that new content for Captivity is highly unlikely but Perveloper has made it quite clear he does not see himself returning to this game and I respect his decision. I asked for the tag out of spite too ok
your not wrong to perfectly honest he posted here and said he was done pretty much

4.30 star(s) 80 Votes