Sscdrake

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, and it's entirely fair with how they're handling this since it's a small bonus for subscribers that will wind up in the next major update for Steam.
It's not fair, because Steam users also bought the game, but whatever, go ahead and excuse it.

I don't understand what the player character is meant to be. A mummy? Why can't I configure it to my liking? That's a huge step BACKWARD!
They will allow you to do it eventually, one of the big features for the UE5 patch is more customization. The setting is one where basically reality and mythology is blurred and people consistently walk on and across that line, so you will be "rewarded" with blessings sexually and in appearance.

It's just yet one of a billion other things on their road map.

Because Epic no longer provides updates or support for UE4, which makes for long term problems that compound themselves over time. Especially with how frequently Microsoft is changing weird things on Windows 11, it's a wise move to stick with the version of the game engine that Epic would resolve issues for.

If this was purely about "milking" the way you people love to spout (seriously, you'd think this place was a dairy theft ring or something), there are far better ways to handle it than switching game engines. Everyone takes such a terrible perspective on UE4->UE5 because this is the first time indie devs have had to handle it. UE4 stuck around for most of a decade and the previous major versions that caused this headache were back when it was a far more expensive tool that was essentially limited to large studios.

You do realize that content is something the devs have explicitly stated will be returning, right? It's just that that was midgame content in a region that is currently inaccessible. Imagine complaining that the classic wow servers don't have anything from Outlands, while ignoring the fact that Outlands doesn't exist.

Seriously, how do you people look at a changelog like the one in this update and come out of this thinking the devs are trying to waste your time for more money?
That's now how game development works. UE4 doesn't need updates, and yes they do still provide support, it just costs more, but at this point most veteran developers don't need their help since they use a heavily customized version of the engine anyway. This isn't like games themselves where you constantly find bugs then fix them, it's just a toolset and foundational engine and it works as well as it has for years now and in anything else, now is the best time to use UE4 since it is at its best state ever. Literally go read these dev's change log of THIS VERY UPDATE and see how they joked about the frustration of going from UE5.1 to 5.3 or whatever it was, lmao.

Current consensus is that UE5 is a mess and incredibly hard to work with. The payoffs can be great, but then you end up with poorly optimized messes like Lords of the Fallen, whose devs have gone on record to say the transition to UE5 slapped them across all four cheeks and maybe wasn't the best idea despite the game looking great because it runs like crap and has a ton of other issues that engineering and development time was probably stolen from.

Swapping to UE5 after already starting of 4 is even worse, as I've said already, this isn't just me posturing, it's a common sentiment by developers and is why so many DIDN'T do that.

CDPR is planning on using UE5 for their next games, and guess what, they had their preplanning teams literally sit down and just toy with and learn the engine before doing any on the game itself for at least half a year, lmao.

I do agree that they probably aren't doing this on purpose in a malicious way, but it is indeed idiotic of them. I'm also super positive that the fact that their patreon remains a ridiculous income stream--probably way more than sales of the complete game will ever make them--contributed to the decision and a general lack of urgency since they will probably make more money by taking longer; literally having their cake and eating it too.

For them, maybe it will ultimately be worth it, for us, we might get a slightly better looking game that runs way worse unless they plan on putting some serious development effort into handling UE5's current challenges with performance optimization and they're just a smallish indie team.

But okay.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: MrStal0ne

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
It's not fair, because Steam users also bought the game, but whatever, go ahead and excuse it.
And steam users will get that content in the next content update, because they paid for the product. But a small bonus to subscribers who are paying monthly to support the game's development is an entirely fair thing to do and not even remotely predatory.

That's now how game development works. UE4 doesn't need updates
Yes, it does. And it will continue to do so. Software does not exist in a static environment. OS changes, driver changes, and changes to underlying specifications are all things that need to be accounted for long term. UE4 will continue to work for the moment, but over time more and more problems will crop up with it that won't get resolved because they've moved on to developing UE5. There will be a point where UE4 will cease to function without software specifically made to act as an intermediary between it and operating systems, and the process leading to that point will be a slow, long-term degradation of quality and functionality as it becomes less and less compatible with current computers.

Edit: as a specific example of what I mean here, take Fallout 4. A mere three years after it originally came out, users began experiencing CTDs that didn't exist prior. This is because the Nvidia RTX line of cards no longer properly supports a system (nvflex, specifically) that the game uses to handle debris and FX in combat. Luckily, that system can be disabled via an ini setting, and also luckily it only affects users of Nvidia RTX cards specifically. But it still makes an example of how underlying changes need accommodation over time.

Last edited:

fakeymcfake45

May 7, 2021
Is it just me or is the UE5 version broken with the settings menu and saves? Half the video settings wont save after changing them and the audio and controls changes revert back to defaults also. Tried this in the menu and from in game and still the same issues. Also the appdata .sav files are formatted for UE5 and not general text format so without getting UE5 and an unlocker it seems pointless to play.
They save, the ui is just broken but the settings do get applied.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
They save, the ui is just broken but the settings do get applied.
It's unfortunate because some of the settings are also dynamically updated (but not visibly changed) if you do something like use Alt+Enter to force it between windowed mode and fullscreen mode. There's a lot of jank in the menus, and the developers have demonstrated that their skills lie in art and sound rather than code and game logic.

Zarcinie

Aug 3, 2018
this feels even more buggy then the last version started over got the mount and then fell through the floor lol

Jan 10, 2019
Does anyone know where Iva, , and are? I followed the UE5 wiki and am playing the latest version posted here, but I go to that spot on the dock where they should be, and they arent.

Is there a spawn condition?

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Does anyone know where Iva, , and are? I followed the UE5 wiki and am playing the latest version posted here, but I go to that spot on the dock where they should be, and they arent.

Version posted here is one version back from when they were added.

KillEAK86

Feb 18, 2018
I don't understand what the player character is meant to be. A mummy? Why can't I configure it to my liking? That's a huge step BACKWARD!
In the start the player is shapeless so keep collecting essence or whatever to get the form want once you get to the obelisk that allows you to change shape so first. You have to continue after waking up a second time after the tutorial area. Defeat the First Boss lady a second time in the smal pyramid/altar area with corpses and a obelisk and then you can change looks to a certain point. I recomend saving before challenging her tho. And there is a camp fire further down by the ruins close to the area where you are to fight her. so once she is dead touch the Obelisk but be careful since sometimes you fall tho the ground when interacting with the Obelisk and you have to reload the save and re fight the boss again. Because once you killed her you cant go back and save because Invisible Walls locks you in the area so you have to interact with the obelisk to continue onward. :coffee:

vocaloidboy

Nov 26, 2018
I do not feel like reading 277 pages worth of words to figure out what has transpired during the course of this game's current update cycle, so I only ask one question.

Will this turn my computer into the second sun?

zonegamer38

Sep 22, 2018
absolutly good game at the beginning a mask hahaha i see this and hoped it is not the full game with mask . Quests are easy and after Masquerade quest all good . But now i stuck in U5 version with the Cleanse Tal-Sent quest
I don't know how to make the island habitable. Anyone have an idea ? Itryed a long time i know now its a bug you cant finish the quest :(

Last edited:

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
What is the transformation content in this game like?
I haven't seen anything specific to the tag in UE5 yet, but for UE4 it's pretty bland compared to games that specifically focus on it. The most basic level is that they integrated character customization into the game as a sort of semi-divine ability. On top of that, the UE4 version has a couple of instances where your character is forcibly transformed into a specific race upon unlocking that option. So it's technically there but never actually a specific focus.

I think these guys deserve scrutiny, because everyone does and they are actively making money, but not to the point of ridicule or questioning motives. Yet. They're working, and whatever happens happens.
This point exactly. So many people on this forum see something in an update they don't like and immediately start screaming that devs are milking users or similar. The world is a much nicer place when you stop assuming everyone is inherently malicious and instead realize that sometimes people just try to do things that are beyond their abilities.

Case in point: Team Carnal is a team of four developers, and their development history strongly implies they are specialized in visuals and audio. They've historically been very good at pumping out anything related to those two departments, while also very consistently having issues to anything tied to programming or game logic. Quests in particular are prone to breaking if you do silly things like sequence breaking them by picking up an item too soon.

Last edited:

FappyJake

Jan 23, 2022

They are in the latest patreon build, they will be added to the next steam build when ever that will be

Reactions: MrStal0ne
4.00 star(s) 85 Votes