VN Ren'Py Completed Chasing Beth [v1.0.2] [Tora Productions]

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes
Dec 11, 2021
I feel the opposite. It takes serious guts to admit you have feelings for another to your partner. It's honest, courageous and commendable. If anything, I'd trust her more for making the difficult choice of being honest with me, when a simple lie would have been so much easier.
Mh... but she kept it secret for all the time before? How long was she dishonest? It is not like she came straight away with this... also she did not told it her partner.. she talked with Tanya and Tony about it.

It is courageous and commendable that she is calmly giving Joel the choice. This I respect is very mature.

But this is showing again that feelings are not the same, every person is different I understand your view. I am just more skeptic and I would not be able to accept my partner lusting for someone else while being with me, I like to be exclusive when being in a relationship. Physical and with the feelings.

Actually surprised about auch fast reply for such old game. :D

Regards

jufot

May 15, 2021
Mh... but she kept it secret for all the time before? How long was she dishonest?
Personally, I don't see it as dishonesty. I'm married to my wife, but we are not a single, unified consciousness. We have our own private thoughts, and we share them if and when we feel necessary. In Serena's shoes, I would wait until I was certain of my feelings and what I thought my options were, before talking to my wife. These are difficult conversations, and it's very important to come prepared to the talk if you want to avoid misunderstandings and hurting each other.

It is not like she came straight away with this... also she did not told it her partner.. she talked with Tanya and Tony about it.
Seeking professional advice before potentially altering your relationship or hurting your partner is a good thing. It's the mature thing to do, and shows that you're in charge of your emotions :)

I would not be able to accept my partner lusting for someone else while being with me, I like to be exclusive when being in a relationship. Physical and with the feelings.
Of course, everyone's different. I don't proclaim that my way would work for everyone.

Actually surprised about auch fast reply for such old game. :D
There are a few of us who have notifications enabled for Tora threads :)

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
I don't want to Experience what Joel does. Being with someone who wasn't fully with him... and still being with this person and knowing there is another person in her head and heart? ... I could not do this.
It would shatter my heart. The trust would be lost from this point...
At what point in a relationship do you find it appropriate to bring up that you haven't fully gotten over someone else yet?
I feel the opposite. It takes serious guts to admit you have feelings for another to your partner. It's honest, courageous and commendable. If anything, I'd trust her more for making the difficult choice of being honest with me, when a simple lie would have been so much easier.
It also shows the trust Serena has for Joel and the strength of the relationship. Both that Serena can tell this and that Joel dares suggest they should meet with Paul and Chloe. Joel & Serena and Paul & Chloe are probably the strongest relationships in the Elsaverse.

jufot

May 15, 2021
Both that Serena can tell this and that Joel dares suggest they should meet with Paul and Chloe. Joel & Serena and Paul & Chloe are probably the strongest relationships in the Elsaverse.
Exactly. It would take someone extremely secure and confident in themselves, in their partner, and their relationship to say "you know what, let's go meet your crush and their partner and figure this out together."

All four of them are exceptionally strong people to go through with it and come out better on the other side.

Reactions: Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Mh... but she kept it secret for all the time before? How long was she dishonest? It is not like she came straight away with this...
To be clear, Paul had already gone back to Chloe and stopped working with Serena before Serena met Joel. Serena had feelings for Paul but knew that she was never going to get together with him and was trying to move on.

Tlaero

Last edited:
Reactions: bacienvu88

snakeplisskin

Mar 19, 2018
Thank you, Fiona!

The main intent for the "Tanya and Tony give advice" scenes was as a mechanism to give the player hints on what they should do differently when they failed. Regardless of the gender of the player, T&T were talking to Joel, who is male.

Sorry that viewing the advice felt condescending. That certainly wasn't my intent. If anything, I expected that people who needed to view those scenes in the gallery would have felt good that they got through the game without needing T&T's advice.

I did want people to see the T&T content, since it gave insights into their characters. You should have seen some of the bad ideas I tried before settling in on the gallery approach. :)

Tlaero
I want to do a proper write up of how this beautiful game connected with me on an emotional and personnal level.

But for now i just wanted to say that becuase i related to Joel and found that his decisions were 100 percent what i would do in my relationship with my wife i went through the whole game never seeing a fail screen.

I actaully really enjoyed watching all the T & T scenes to unlock the bonus scene. I thought they were arguebly the best part of the game so to see more of them and their relationship was better than the bonus scene for me.

Reactions: jufot

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
To be clear, Paul had already gone back to Chloe and stopped working with Serena before Serena met Paul. Serena had feelings for Paul but knew that she was never going to get together with him and was trying to move on.

Tlaero
I assume you meant "before Serena met Joel", right?

snakeplisskin

Mar 19, 2018
Okay bear with my poor writing skills here but I am going to try and share why I love this game and had such an emotional connection with it.

My favourite part of the story is Joel and Serena, I can’t express how much I enjoyed experiencing a couple who was past the honeymoon stage of a relationship. Joel struggling with his PTSD but generally believing he was in a good place until he is given his new assignment, it was exciting having him realize he wasn’t okay and it was affecting his life and relationships more than he believed.

I really enjoyed watching him go on a journey of healing not just with T&T but also this story being the push he needed to confront his past and move forward and heal. Plus the fact that he is so open and honest with Serena communicating with her every step way and seeing that he would do anything to love and support her even if it meant stepping aside.

In regards to Serena she is not only dealing with recovering from a car accident, she is also dealing with the fact she wants Joel to get help but knows he wasn’t ready and she could lose him if she pushes him. When Joel comes home to find Serena drinking and crying because of Paul’s bombshell news, I literally started crying because i saw so much of my wife and I relationship. When Serena tries to break up with Joel because she can currently not be intimate with him, I was so shocked to see that Joel said ferry similar things to her that I had said to my wife when we had the same conversation. I want to thank you for showing that relationships are messy and a lot of work, and that you have to fight like hell for the person you love even if it means they found happiness without you.

I want to take some time to briefly talk about Joel’s therapy I saw some people here weren’t happy Joel opened up that much in his first session. I wholeheartedly disagree with this he has been asked in the past by Serena to get help, plus between chasing his story and gentle pushing from T&T he was ready to confront his past and remember what truly happened. As someone who has fairly simple problems in comparison I become the most open booked person when I did my first therapy session so I was super happy to see Joel also break the norm and open up in his first session.

Onto Beth I really enjoyed her story and liked the whole tell and video style story telling you used to quickly bring us up to speed on everything we needed to know with Beth. I also thought the way you join her and Joel’s storyline was fantastic and appreciate that in the end they were able to help each to truly get to a good point. Not much to say about Beth she is a bad ass.

My only complaint about the game is that Emma felt very underdeveloped compared to everyone else. This made her end of story importance and immediate connection with Serena feel weird.

Overall I am so grateful for this game and really appreciate what you went for with the story and characters. I think itis the best game you guys have made( even if RDFJ remains my favourite), I can’t wait to see what comes next in the Elsa-verse.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Thank you snakeplisskin for taking the time to write that. I'm extremely happy that you got so much out of Chasing Beth.

We're doing Toro 7 right now, but I have plans for the next Elsaverse game.

Tlaero

Reactions: snakeplisskin
Aug 8, 2020
Greetings, I've just finished playin Chasing Beth...but the last scene caught my eye, I'd like to know whether it was still the Chasing Beth VN or it was showing other game where that game confessed that he have powers at the end

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Greetings, I've just finished playin Chasing Beth...but the last scene caught my eye, I'd like to know whether it was still the Chasing Beth VN or it was showing other game where that game confessed that he have powers at the end
It's kind of a short story that paves the ground for the next title in the Elsaverse saga. Usually those games have a post-credits scene much like superhero movies, in this case is just a little bit longer

• Red Heart
Reactions: IVAR The Boneless

Boogg

Apr 21, 2022
1. Is there an order to all of these stories or do they have anything to do with each other at all?

2. Tlaero Why bother having choices if all the you are going to do is force us to go back and make a different decision? Its stupid. Either let the choices be and write the story in a way that it is possible to make that decision or make it a kinetic novel and take away the choices. This having to circle back every time I don't do what you want me to do is stupid.

Last edited:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
1. Is there an order to all of these stories or do they have anything to do with each other at all?
This is the 8th game in the series. Each game has a different gameplay style with differing failure modes. Some end in a game over screen when you don't play well, some you can't fail, but you can miss sex scenes if you don't play well, some have no choices, and one has branching paths, but you have to pick the right branches to get the "canon" ending. This one uses a "checkpoint" system similar to the vast majority of non-roguelike games. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you.

"Stupid" is in the eye of the beholder, but it's fine that you want something different than I create. I hope you find a dev that makes games more to your liking.

Tlaero

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Canto Forte

Boogg

Apr 21, 2022
You realize you are being a raging dick, right?

There are other developers that might enjoy your ilk, but no one here ever cares if they hear from you again.
Krystal2 I see now after sleeping off the bourbon from last night that I was indeed raging. It doesn't change the fact that I was a complete ass. I am passionate about these stories and some aspects really "ilk" me. However, since you have shown me the error of my ways.... My apologies. I shall remove my raging posts and endeavor to be a better human being. Feel free to read my review of Chasing Beth. I plan to update it and be more honest with you and myself!

Last edited:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Played through on Monday evening and enjoyed the story - the back and forth was an interesting presentation - and was happy to find more story than I expected based on some of the earlier "chapters" of this saga. Of course, I'm apparently well adjusted (at least your version of it ;)) since I only triggered "sessions" when I did an alternate "wonder what happens if I go against my normal nature".

Are you working on the follow-up now? After being disappointed by the developments in Transitions (good little stories - just didn't like what happened with Lucas/Elsa), I'm interested in seeing the resolve, and to see how Beth plays into the future of it all, or if she even does, beyond cameo or reference.

I haven't done anything in your non-Elsa universe games yet, so I'm wondering if y'all will be adding animation and sound when you pick the Elsaverse stories back up. That was something I've gotten accustomed to in other VNs (all of which are much newer releases than the overwhelming majority of your work up to "Beth"), and I think it would have made the bonus scenes, in particular, much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I'm glad you liked it, Krystal!

We're currently working on a non-Elsaverse game called Toro 7, which is currently in Episode 2. We will definitely go back to the Elsaverse though. Transitions was intended to set up Chasing Beth as well as the game that comes after it.

Mortze doesn't like the way animations turn out and has sworn off of them until the technology used to make them improves. I used to add sounds in my earlier games and didn't enjoy it. At one point I did a poll asking people what they thought of it and 1/3 said they liked them, 1/3 said they didn't care one way or another, and 1/3 said they hated them and would turn them off if I added them. Now, one way to look at this is "2/3s of people wouldn't mind sounds" but I chose to look at is "2/3s of people wouldn't mind if I didn't do sounds." :)

Tlaero

• Haha
Reactions: Son of Durin

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I'm glad you liked it, Krystal!

We're currently working on a non-Elsaverse game called Toro 7, which is currently in Episode 2. We will definitely go back to the Elsaverse though. Transitions was intended to set up Chasing Beth as well as the game that comes after it.

Mortze doesn't like the way animations turn out and has sworn off of them until the technology used to make them improves. I used to add sounds in my earlier games and didn't enjoy it. At one point I did a poll asking people what they thought of it and 1/3 said they liked them, 1/3 said they didn't care one way or another, and 1/3 said they hated them and would turn them off if I added them. Now, one way to look at this is "2/3s of people wouldn't mind sounds" but I chose to look at is "2/3s of people wouldn't mind if I didn't do sounds." :)

Tlaero
Thanks for the answer.

I'm not sure what "models" y'all are using in your RenPy games (Honeyselect, maybe?), but the DAZE (is that right?) models seem to work better with animations, or, at least, they've seemed to be the models used in the better animations I've seen. As for sound, it generally adds to things when you have animations, so if you don't have one, you don't really need the other as much. If I just want a soundtrack in the background, that's easy enough to arrange on my own.

I'll keep my eyes open. I suspect y'all will post something on this and/or the other Elsaverse threads when the next installment is on the way?

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
At this point, I believe that most of the models are either Genesis 3 or Genesis 8. Yes, I'll definitely ping one of the Elsaverse threads when we release the next game, although we have a ways to go on Toro 7 still.

Tlaero

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes