4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I just played the game and I love it
Anyone know if this game will be updated monthly or gonna be longer time between updates because I can't wait to play again
Considering the quality of the renders and the remark a few posts ago by one of the devs if they had done their original first part content for first release it would have been x-mas for first release I am quite sure we are talking likely a two/three months release schedule. If they can do quite big monthly content updates I would be very happy to be proven wrong though as to how I interpreted his remark. :p

Reactions: MrFriendly

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Considering the quality of the renders and the remark a few posts ago by one of the devs if they had done their original first part content for first release it would have been x-mas for first release I am quite sure we are talking likely a two/three months release schedule. If they can do quite big monthly content updates I would be very happy to be proven wrong though as to how I interpreted his remark. :p
Agreed. This was absolutely massive for a v0.1 release. If we can expect anywhere close to this size per release I'd actually be surprised at 2 months. I give it 3 months minimum unless these guys are super next level.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
Being new devs we just don’t know yet. We have some things in our favor now that don’t have to be reinvented for the next update that will save some time, but we also have a few complex environments there are no existing assets for that we will have to make from scratch. We are both trying to get our hands on two 3090s each which will give us 10x our current render compute, but who knows when the crypto miners and scalpers will lose their grip on that market?

I know our plan is 90 day cycles, but we’ll be transparent if that is unattainable.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Being new devs we just don’t know yet. We have some things in our favor now that don’t have to be reinvented for the next update that will save some time, but we also have a few complex environments there are no existing assets for that we will have to make from scratch. We are both trying to get our hands on two 3090s each which will give us 10x our current render compute, but who knows when the crypto miners and scalpers will lose their grip on that market?

I know our plan is 90 day cycles, but we’ll be transparent if that is unattainable.
That last is all anyone can ask for even if a few will never be happy. :p

Considering the 3090, yeah expect at least 3 months before they will be slightly more widely available also considering the demand for the 3080. Considering what they deliver if the good parts are used for the card, the hype is just to real and people really want them. Though I think any gamer that does not have an 8K monitor is really nuts even just contemplating getting a 3090 and for most the 3080 is already serious overkill, but hey that is just me. :p

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
*gets to the end of the update*

You son of a bitch... you and me are already going to have problems if you leave it on that kind of cliffhanger on version 1.
We are not amused.... ;)

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
*gets to the end of the update*

You son of a bitch... you and me are already going to have problems if you leave it on that kind of cliffhanger on version 1.
We are not amused.... ;)
It’s only a cliffhanger if you don’t know what happened for sure. No sleight of hand here, James and Sarah are really...well, you know...that eventuality is outright stated in the game description. That said, do you really prefer it when episodes end in the middle of mundane conversations?

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Started out ok, but went on far too long, I ended up falling asleep.

Why does a ginger have black eyebrows.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Nah, I like when updates end all wrapped up with a bow on top...

of the naked hot chick and we have to wait until the next update for the sex scene. :ROFLMAO:
Well those can be annoying enough. :p I once offered a dev a free 6 month mandatory subscription to the worst tv series ever made and having to watch them for something like that, I did end up supporting him though even if he is a meanie.

Normally i do not mind heavily emotional cliffhangers and understand their function especially in serialized productions, there is a big BUT though to that if you are on a three months production cycle. Think it is wise for a dev to be aware that you are leaving a player for a long time with that last emotion he/she ended the game on. For me I would say if you cannot resolve a situation quickly as in a week or next day as on TV it may be wiser to leave the player with a good feeling at end and not an anxious or depressed one. (This is just my opinion, other people may feel different). :)

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
Well those can be annoying enough. :p I once offered a dev a free 6 month mandatory subscription to the worst tv series ever made and having to watch them for something like that, I did end up supporting him though even if he is a meanie.

Normally i do not mind heavily emotional cliffhangers and understand their function especially in serialized productions, there is a big BUT though to that if you are on a three months production cycle. Think it is wise for a dev to be aware that you are leaving a player for a long time with that last emotion he/she ended the game on. For me I would say if you cannot resolve a situation quickly as in a week or next day as on TV it may be wiser to leave the player with a good feeling at end and not an anxious or depressed one. (This is just my opinion, other people may feel different). :)
Constructive feedback. Thank you!

Reactions: MrFriendly and DA22

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
It’s only a cliffhanger if you don’t know what happened for sure. No sleight of hand here, James and Sarah are really...well, you know...that eventuality is outright stated in the game description. That said, do you really prefer it when episodes end in the middle of mundane conversations?
I didn't see this as a cliffhanger at all. There was no wondering what was going to happen, no "oh no, what now!", etc. I did kinda want to see the bartender's reaction to this part though, but that's no big deal. I think it was a great place to end it. High drama moment, nothing really hanging, etc.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I can see what DA22 is saying and overall I’d agree. Especially since we’re in for a long development cycle. I’d not want each episode to necessarily end with a strong emotional response. Ending with something mundane, creating a pause in the narrative, so that we can step back without feeling some “pain” (obviously the character’s pain) but still look forward to what’s next... That, I’m sure, is a challenge but I think you are up for it.
Thing is you can also have a strong positive emotional response at the end or something that evokes curiosity in player as a cliffhanger, Killer7 is a good example for those. It does not have to be a negative emotion to be dramatic or effective, just that is often easier to write.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
I didn't see this as a cliffhanger at all. There was no wondering what was going to happen, no "oh no, what now!", etc. I did kinda want to see the bartender's reaction to this part though, but that's no big deal. I think it was a great place to end it. High drama moment, nothing really hanging, etc.

In fairness we did discuss what it could mean to the project if the last memory the player had of the prologue was feeling distressed or sad when the next chapter rolled out.

To me, the wide range of reactions from players tells me the calculated risk paid off, but I think we’re also savvy enough to understand you don’t keep going back to the same well, or become overly-manipulative of peoples empathy. At the end of the day we are telling a story first, and that story has the potential to lead to lots of sex, meaningful and otherwise.

There are going to be other emotional beats, and not all of them happy ones, but by my calculus, none of them except perhaps some bad endings (player avoidable) end on chapter boundaries. That’s subject to change if it makes sense to core of the story, but our plan is not to spend 9 more episodes building up hope and repeatedly crushing it.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Thing is you can also have a strong positive emotional response at the end or something that evokes curiosity in player as a cliffhanger, Killer7 is a good example for those. It does not have to be a negative emotion to be dramatic or effective, just that is often easier to write.
Disagree, this game has a cliffhanger, sure it takes a week of reading to get to but it leaves you wondering what is to come.

I love My New Family, but if you know what is to come then it isn't a cliffhanger.

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Disagree, this game has a cliffhanger, sure it takes a week of reading to get to but it leaves you wondering what is to come.

I love My New Family, but if you know what is to come then it isn't a cliffhanger.
Nah I meant his example more as like there can happen a lot of heavy things during an episode in his game and it has loads of emotional drama even if has no suspense whether MC will get the girl, but he will always let the player leave the game on a good feeling. He does not even needs cliffhangers to make people come back for the next episode that do like his game. :p

Besides my point was not that you cannot do negative emotional cliffhangers, but to be aware that is what you can leave your players with when thinking about your game. For myself the foreshadowing also in talk with bartender and interest in what happened between Jaye and MC was enough not to get to attached to the ending in this case. But in another game where the beloved sister of MC got shot just before the end i do have a bit negative feeling when think about that game at the moment instead of a fun feeling I had before that end to last update.

Last edited:

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Nah I meant his example more as like there can happen a lot of heavy things during an episode in his game and it has loads of emotional drama even if has no suspense whether MC will get the girl, but he will always let the player leave the game on a good feeling. He does not even needs cliffhangers to make people come back for the next episode that do like his game. :p
Fair point, well then here is hoping a week-long readathon and emotional cliffhangers are done for a while for this game.

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
In fairness we did discuss what it could mean to the project if the last memory the player had of the prologue was feeling distressed or sad when the next chapter rolled out.

To me, the wide range of reactions from players tells me the calculated risk paid off, but I think we’re also savvy enough to understand you don’t keep going back to the same well, or become overly-manipulative of peoples empathy. At the end of the day we are telling a story first, and that story has the potential to lead to lots of sex, meaningful and otherwise.

There are going to be other emotional beats, and not all of them happy ones, but by my calculus, none of them except perhaps some bad endings (player avoidable) end on chapter boundaries. That’s subject to change if it makes sense to core of the story, but our plan is not to spend 9 more episodes building up hope and repeatedly crushing it.
Personally, from the moment I recognized what the story was, I was convinced the final scene was Jaye walking into the bar, present day. Shocked it wasn't.

Are you keeping the bartender discussion going past the prologue?

elysium1988

Sep 21, 2017
Stone Fox Studios What is the update schedule of the game? Also I noticed the trust, relationship variables, does the game feature major branching in the future depending on the variables/decisions or just some minor dialogues or render changes. Thanks once again for creating this masterpiece in the making.

Also you need to make some sigs for the game so that we can rep the game on this forum.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
T
Stone Fox Studios What is the update schedule of the game? Also I noticed the trust, relationship variables, does the game feature major branching in the future depending on the variables/decisions or just some minor dialogues or render changes. Thanks once again for creating this masterpiece in the making.

Also you need to make some sigs for the game so that we can rep them on this forum.
Thanks for the kind words. The plan is for multiple paths. My personal peeve are VNs where seemingly innocuous choices early in can block paths off later. I don’t like the points system as it’s still somewhat arbitrary but it at least lets players who are aiming for a specific outcome to get “close enough” where one wrong choice doesn’t result in a forced replay. Some choices will result in minor variations to planned endings. E.g: The same ending but with some extra sauce.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Noted. Make updates shorter!
It was a nice amount of content for a first version, I liked that, it looked good, I liked that, it was well done all in all, you started out at a very high level for your first go.
The only thing that wasn't working perfectly FOR ME, was that in the way you told the story, it did have some lengths to it. I'm not writing this just to post something critical, it's supposed to be constructive. It's like, if the script was a little bit tighter there wouldn't have been ANYTHING to complain about. Not in the slightest.

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes